• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Better Repayment Method or Bad Math?

mamboking053

Scenario: You over-donate to someone's GB. You ask the person to return the excess amount to a GB of your choosing.

The problem with this scenario that I encountered when asking for this favor (meaning I am the person who over-paid and the other person returns the FP to my GB) is that if the person's donation get's them a reward spot, then I am out that many GB because on that GB, the reward value of the slots is filled by other people.

The second problem is that I am potentially asking someone to use up their FP packs to fix my mistake. For those of us with thousands of FP saved up, this might not be a huge issue, but for others, it may be an irritation.

I figured the better way to resolve this problem- if the returned amount would grant the returnee a reward slot- is to instead ask the person if you could under-fill on their next slot at their convenience. I don't want to rush people to fix my mistake so I'm happy to wait. It doesn't even have to be the very next GB- especially when the times we may be on may mismatch. Just as long as sometime in the future I can under-fill and get my FP back, it's fine with me.

But...I tend to be horrible with math and before I give this advice to anyone, just wanted to make sure it was sound.

Edit: I suppose another method is that if a person's repayment get's a reward slot, that the repayment be the value of the repayment + the value of the reward slot. Again, I'm terrible at math so if that doesn't make sense, throw a can.

DeletedUser37581

If someone overpays and request me to pay back to one of their GBs, I will automatically add in the extra 1.9 if I will be getting a reward spot.

The problem with underpaying on the next GB is that memories are short so unless the next GB is almost immediate, there probably isn't much point.

Bruadhin

If someone overpays and request me to pay back to one of their GBs, I will automatically add in the extra 1.9 if I will be getting a reward spot.

The problem with underpaying on the next GB is that memories are short so unless the next GB is almost immediate, there probably isn't much point.

I've started asking people to do this and rarely do they mind. Usually what gets me is I call a spot and start adding before I realize I was already on the GB in a higher spot.

DeletedUser29726

Yes, most people in 1.9 threads understand the concept of underpaying for a future spot, and most are on board with this. Usually it's done on buildings that are rolling multiple levels immediately though. Usually it's best if it's offered by the owner - being requested by you for your own mistake is kinda bad form.

In that position the most you should do is make a comment "oops, overpaid" and see if the owner offers you some compensation. Friendly ones will - and may come in either an offer to overpay for a spot immediately in exchange or an offer to take another spot in the near future for cheap.

DeletedUser

Scenario: You over-donate to someone's GB. You ask the person to return the excess amount to a GB of your choosing.
If you donate to my GB there is no such thing as over-donating. And if you asked me to "return the excess amount", I would simply respond, "LOL".

DeletedUser

Good way to get shunned in a 1.9 thread. Next you'll say you snipe your guild.
If someone "over-donates" (a concept I don't subscribe to) it is because they made a mistake. Why should someone else pay for their mistake? That's just stupid and unfair.

DeletedUser29726

If someone "over-donates" (a concept I don't subscribe to) it is because they made a mistake. Why should someone else pay for their mistake? That's just stupid and unfair.

The "correct" amount of payment is by agreement for participating in the thread. This allows the concepts of "overpaying" or "underpaying" to exist amongst its members. They are deviations from the agreement.

Arguing the semantics that the game itself does not have those concepts is missing the point in protest that you don't like the agreement existing in the first place.

You certainly don't have to participate in such an agreement or owe anyone anything if you're not participating in such an agreement. But it is perfectly reasonably for such a group to kick out people not playing by the rules of the agreement(thread) or drop friends that interfere with their participation in the thread in the same way as you can choose to curate your guild members and friends to ones that don't mess up your beloved observatory program. As such people who find such an agreement useful ought to do their best to be good citizens of the thread.

Bruadhin

What xivarmy said. It is a social compact. It is no different than not following the rules of a guild. It may not be a game rule, but it is certainly a rule for participating in the group. Failure to follow those rules will generally lead to removal from the group.

DeletedUser8428

So what the OP is referring to has strictly to do with agreed upon, within guild activity? 'Cause I'm with Longshanks - I'm in a guild of one and if someone pays more that they wanted to on one of mine, they should pay more attention.

Kranyar the Mysterious

But that social compact is often a general agreement or rule within 1.x threads. And if you overpay and the person paying you back ends up with a reward spot that you could have had donated to otherwise, that is your penalty for your mistake in the first place.

Kranyar the Mysterious

So what the OP is referring to has strictly to do with agreed upon, within guild activity? 'Cause I'm with Longshanks - I'm in a guild of one and if someone pays more that they wanted to on one of mine, they should pay more attention.
Yes, within the 1.x threads (not all are guild related). Outside of those threads (and usually swap threads too), tough luck.

Bruadhin

Yes, strictly by agreement.

I usually eat my small mistakes, but if larger I would like the FP back. Someone didn't, I remove them or if I couldn't I'd never take a spot on their GB again.

Plus, there are private 1.9 threads that cross guilds where people are on each other's friends list.