• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Birka and Battlegrounds

RazorbackPirate

Birka players - How was the first round of Battlegrounds for you?

I recall one of the stated reasons for opening Birka was to have a new world to test Battlegrounds on. Without long established guilds with long established cities brimming with resources, how was the GBG play? I expect a very different experience.

For those of you with multiple cities on established worlds, how did the play compare?

I'm curious because at some point, even the long established guilds with long established cities brimming with resources will start to run low of said resources which will definitely affect how Battlefields are played. I'm interested to know the differences.

-Sept-

So here is my experience, a pretty young guild obviously, no GvG success yet and about 30 members. 20 helped in GBG, with most coming from about 7 of us. Even though we didn't time our organization that well we didn't have any competition and everyone followed the flags so we went straight to the center, grabbed a few there and then worked sideways from the first sector in from home and killed our neighbors advances. Took 1st place easy in Copper.

Now, it seems like even the guilds with 0 pts grabbed almost as much reward as we did! WTF! Only one other guild took points so they got an easy 2nd, while all of the other guilds tied for third place! They should get nothing! Several planted a flag but they didn't make much progress, while others never even planted. A guild should have to get points to get any rewards at all, I'm sorry that is just lame. Now every guild in Birka is level 8 or 9, so what's the difference!!!!????

(apologies for incorrect use of punctuation)

DeletedUser37581

Now, it seems like even the guilds with 0 pts grabbed almost as much reward as we did! WTF! Only one other guild took points so they got an easy 2nd, while all of the other guilds tied for third place! They should get nothing! Several planted a flag but they didn't make much progress, while others never even planted. A guild should have to get points to get any rewards at all, I'm sorry that is just lame. Now every guild in Birka is level 8 or 9, so what's the difference!!!!????
Guilds that did not have at least 40 advances received nothing. The chests show what a guild would be eligible for, not what they received.

-Sept-

Okay that is good, but there are still a bunch of level 8/9 guilds now in Birka that didn't do jack in GBG. I think the point spread is to small, it should drop off faster from 2 to 3 and beyond.

DeletedUser29726

So here is my experience, a pretty young guild obviously, no GvG success yet and about 30 members. 20 helped in GBG, with most coming from about 7 of us. Even though we didn't time our organization that well we didn't have any competition and everyone followed the flags so we went straight to the center, grabbed a few there and then worked sideways from the first sector in from home and killed our neighbors advances. Took 1st place easy in Copper.

(apologies for incorrect use of punctuation)

The main reward for placement is getting to higher leagues that do have markedly higher rewards. you'll be eligible for up to 164k power in silver instead of 56k in copper. Guilds that were minimally active and finished 3rd or lower in your copper group will likely still be in copper.

Edit: also that 2nd place guild while they'll also get to silver, will find they're only against other silver guilds now. So they'll likely either need to do more or get kicked back down to copper.

DeletedUser36572

Okay that is good, but there are still a bunch of level 8/9 guilds now in Birka that didn't do jack in GBG. I think the point spread is to small, it should drop off faster from 2 to 3 and beyond.

I think it is fine the way it is, sorry if your guild spent a lot more than was necessary just for bragging rights and a few points ... Not that bright, but probably the target audience ...

Kranyar the Mysterious

I think it is fine the way it is, sorry if your guild spent a lot more than was necessary just for bragging rights and a few points ... Not that bright, but probably the target audience ...
Actually, sounds like a smart move to me. By grabbing and locking down everything early they may have kept that 2nd place guild from trying to contest sectors, and actually saved themselves goods and troops.

DeletedUser36572

Actually, sounds like a smart move to me. By grabbing and locking down everything early they may have kept that 2nd place guild from trying to contest sectors, and actually saved themselves goods and troops.

What they did wasn’t the complaint ... The complaint was lower placed guilds earned a lot of rewards just for participating.

There are all kinds of strategies a guild can employ, that can be successful. Coming out strong can be beneficial ... And in some cases it just sets you up for a “rope a dope” when you have spent all your time battling other aggressive guilds before getting crushed in the latter season by a guild that was patient and waited until everyone was spent.

Edit:
My point was that if you had fun fighting and liked the challenge, then that’s great, but don’t complain about what someone else got because they didn’t do what you felt compelled to do to get what they got.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Sept-

What they did wasn’t the complaint ... The complaint was lower placed guilds earned a lot of rewards just for participating.

My point is really the GBG is OP if guilds that didn't even plant a flag just got leveled to g8/9 and now get a daily FP. Earning guild levels through GE took a LONG time, this shouldn't make it instant for everyone. Maybe winning Copper or 1/2 in Silver but not less. I'm not upset with how we played, I expected more competition at some point and I'm sure we will get it now in Silver. I'm thinking more about the balance for guilds leveling.

DeletedUser29726

My point is really the GBG is OP if guilds that didn't even plant a flag just got leveled to g8/9 and now get a daily FP. Earning guild levels through GE took a LONG time, this shouldn't make it instant for everyone. Maybe winning Copper or 1/2 in Silver but not less. I'm not upset with how we played, I expected more competition at some point and I'm sure we will get it now in Silver. I'm thinking more about the balance for guilds leveling.

It's just a shift up of what the floor is. While being a guild that gets 1 FP a day used to be a big deal early in a server, now that might be being a guild that gets 2 or 3 FP. And getting to those marks will be (much) faster in silver or gold than just continuing to get the comparatively small copper sum.

Will this take away from interest in GE as that's slower than the newer thing? Maybe a little, but a lot of guilds already treat GE more as a service so people can get individual rewards they want than a guild activity to increase the guild level.

DeletedUser36572

But they didn’t earn points if they didn’t plant a flag.

What’s the problem with a guild earning points and getting benefits doing so?
What’s the problem with a bunch of 9th Level guilds?
Does your guild feel threatened by all those 9th Level guilds?

Watch out for those scary 9th Level guilds ... They are going to steal your cheese.

DeletedUser36572

It's just a shift up of what the floor is. While being a guild that gets 1 FP a day used to be a big deal early in a server, now that might be being a guild that gets 2 or 3 FP. And getting to those marks will be (much) faster in silver or gold than just continuing to get the comparatively small copper sum.

Will this take away from interest in GE as that's slower than the newer thing? Maybe a little, but a lot of guilds already treat GE more as a service so people can get individual rewards they want than a guild activity to increase the guild level.

GE does provide more personal rewards while Battlegrounds provides some personal rewards but more guild rewards.

It isn’t unfair if two people, or groups of people, can earn the same reward doing the same thing. It would be different if someone who already has an advantage, wants to make things favor that advantage, for the simple sake of everything remaining the way it already is.

There isn’t anything wrong with making guilds stronger, more beneficial to participate in, and more competitive on the Battleground.

time4coffee

I know how you feel. I enjoyed GBG much more than I thought I would and I much bigger percentage of guild members played than in GE. But then only 3 guild did any fighting. The rest tied at 0 and got 100,000 crowns just for being there. They really should scale the guild rewards at the end - as a number 2 team we got 143k but the bottom 5 all got over 100k too.

Not that I don't like the benefits but they do seem excessive compared to GE, especially if you didn't do anything. Why not join every session and just do nothing and collect 100K+ crowns. It's a system that is easily gamed.

RazorbackPirate

I know how you feel. I enjoyed GBG much more than I thought I would and I much bigger percentage of guild members played than in GE. But then only 3 guild did any fighting. The rest tied at 0 and got 100,000 crowns just for being there. They really should scale the guild rewards at the end - as a number 2 team we got 143k but the bottom 5 all got over 100k too.

Not that I don't like the benefits but they do seem excessive compared to GE, especially if you didn't do anything. Why not join every session and just do nothing and collect 100K+ crowns. It's a system that is easily gamed.
No one got any crowns "just for being there." As has been stated multiple times on multiple threads, in order for a guild to actually receive any rewards when a Battleground ends, that guild MUST make 40 advancements during the Battlefield.

So, all those guilds that tied at zero, got exactly that. Zero, zip, nada, bupkiss. A reward commensurate with their effort, they received a whole lotta nothin'.

DeletedUser37581

No one got any crowns "just for being there." As has been stated multiple times on multiple threads, in order for a guild to actually receive any rewards when a Battleground ends, that guild MUST make 40 advancements during the Battlefield.

So, all those guilds that tied at zero, got exactly that. Zero, zip, nada, bupkiss. A reward commensurate with their effort, they received a whole lotta nothin'.
A guild could have ended up with 0 and still have done the 40 minimum advances, as long as those advances were spread over more than one province.

I do take exception to the assertion that
Now every guild in Birka is level 8 or 9, so what's the difference!!!!????
Every guild? Really?
Earning guild levels through GE took a LONG time, this shouldn't make it instant for everyone.
Back in the day, it took many months to raise a GB to level 10. Now a newcomer can get a level 80 Arc in under a year if he sets his mind to it. Buildings that produce large of amounts of FPs are easy to get with each event. The game is changing. Why should it stay stuck in the way it was when you started?

RazorbackPirate

Why should it stay stuck in the way it was when you started?
Because when I was a kid, we didn't have parents who drove us to school. We had to walk to school. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow. Made us tougher. Paid my dues, they should too. Damn kids ... got it way too easy ... makes 'em soft. Hey, get off my lawn! No one ever teach you how to use a sidewalk? Damn kids ... even soft in the head ...

-Sept-

Okay I can confirm that the guilds that "tied" for #3 with 0 pts did not advance in level, still 0/1/2. Yet the rewards flyout on the GBG temple still shows them all as "winning" those amounts, why can't that display take into account the "40 advances" measure? I think that is what is setting everyone off.

But my other point still stands, the guild that came in second, with just a few points compared to us, leveled up the same as us so we are both level 9. While I can't be sure what they were beforehand this is Birka so we were mostly level 1/2 unless on the GvG map. So basically 2nd in Copper is the same as 1st.

Emberguard

Watch out for those scary 9th Level guilds ... They are going to steal your cheese.
:eek:

There isn’t anything wrong with making guilds stronger, more beneficial to participate in, and more competitive on the Battleground.
To add onto this, players tend to gravitate towards high lvl'd guilds. So it'd (in theory) help guilds retain members.... in theory 'cause then the high lvl guilds will have even higher lvls then they have now anyway.

Algona

But my other point still stands, the guild that came in second, with just a few points compared to us, leveled up the same as us so we are both level 9. While I can't be sure what they were beforehand this is Birka so we were mostly level 1/2 unless on the GvG map. So basically 2nd in Copper is the same as 1st.

Short term. Much like GEC, any but 0 participation Guilds will occasionally place. As time goes on though and Leagues sort out.they'll fall to their natural place of progression.

Look on the bright side, if you wind up paired against them in another League you won;t have to worry about competition from them.

Instead of what other Guilds get out of GBG, I worry about how my Guilds do, I have some influence on that.

Last edited:

DeletedUser36572

To add onto this, players tend to gravitate towards high lvl'd guilds. So it'd (in theory) help guilds retain members.... in theory 'cause then the high lvl guilds will have even higher lvls then they have now anyway.

It is the old “rising tide raises all boats”.

The common misconception is that the rising tide somehow puts someone in a different boat ... When in reality, the same points are available to all the guilds.

Because some guilds benefit more initially ... Doesn’t do anything to deminish guilds already ranked above them.

It’s not like a Level 1 guild moving to Level 9 is going to destroy a Level 30 guild that has a bunch of shiny cities and a bazillion Goods.