• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Building skins

kmc11

Idea:

Introduce the ability to change the appearance of a building.

Example:
Name: Tholos of Idols Skin Lv.10(Item)
Description: Applies to a 4x4 building, making it look like a Tholos of Idols Level 10 in city view ( DOES NOT WORK ON PLUNDER VIEW )

For DNS statement see bottom

Reason:

Inno spends a TON of development resources on building designs that are very rarely to never to be seen in any city.
I think it is a waste having so many nice building designs that are never applied anywhere.
Designing a city either goes by looks or by efficiency. This proposal could change the game to give incentive to opt in for a more diverse and beautiful city,
while not reducing the efficiency or providing any advantage over other players.
Plus it creates a new realm of one time consumable items of varying rarity, which can be tossed out as a reward for ( example ) GE/Daily Rewards/Events etc.

Details:
Building skins could be obtained as a special reward.
They contain ONE building skin and can be applied as a one time use to change the appearance of any building of the same size of the skinning item.

See example in [Idea] above.

Players can OPT-OUT of seeing building skins in city-view ( for example ) by clicking a checkbox in the UI's top bar ( PC ), in the bottom center ( mobile ).
This setting is controlled individually for the player's city and for city-view of other players.

Balance:
There is no immediate impact on any aspect of the game, as it's a purely visual addition, as long as the city-view when plundering does not show building skins.

Abuse Prevention:
To prohibit unfair advantage of players with skinned buildings in their city, when plundering a player the building skins are forced off in city-view.

Summary:
It'd be implementing new rewards that are fun, but do not pose a threat to game mechanics, a low development overhead since all the assets are already in the game.
For this reason I think that it does benefit players AND InnoGames, providing new collectible items that can be utilized to maintain the game's economy while reusing old and unused content.

DNS/Other Ideas:
A similiar idea has been posted before ( https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/skins-for-great-buildings.27201/#post-272840 ) though the general idea and implementation vary enough (imho) to suggest this version.

I took a look at the DNS list beforehand and saw that proposals for items are not wanted.
This proposal is mainly about the feature itself, the examples use items as that would be the easiest way to introduce this feature, yet this proposal and the feature it suggests is not tied to making (a) new item.

Last edited:

Agent327

DNS/Other Ideas:
A similiar idea has been posted before ( https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/skins-for-great-buildings.27201/#post-272840 ) though the general idea and implementation vary enough (imho) to suggest this version.

I took a look at the DNS list beforehand and saw that proposals for items are not wanted.
This proposal is mainly about the feature itself, the examples use items as that would be the easiest way to introduce this feature, yet this proposal and the feature it suggests is not tied to making (a) new item.

The way I see it, it is a new item. There are no skins in the game at the moment, so suggesting skins is suggesting a new item.

Making buildings look like other buildings is totally confusing. There are still players that visit cities and motivate buildings of a specific era for to find GB's of that era. Also players with a Truce Tower aid manually, to get goods from a specific era.

That makes it also an extreme change, cause it will limit players in their way of playing.

To me this is DNSL, but it might be something players still want to discuss and maybe it will lead to something, so I move it to General Discussions.

Aggressor

Idea:

Example:
Description: Applies to a 4x4 building, making it look like a Tholos of Idols Level 10 in city view ( DOES NOT WORK ON PLUNDER VIEW )

Reason:

Inno spends a TON of development resources on building designs that are very rarely to never to be seen in any city.
I think it is a waste having so many nice building designs that are never applied anywhere.
Designing a city either goes by looks or by efficiency. This proposal could change the game to give incentive to opt in for a more diverse and beautiful city,
while not reducing the efficiency or providing any advantage over other players.
Plus it creates a new realm of one time consumable items of varying rarity, which can be tossed out as a reward for ( example ) GE/Daily Rewards/Events etc.

Details:
They contain ONE building skin and can be applied as a one time use to change the appearance of any building of the same size of the skinning item.

Players can OPT-OUT of seeing building skins in city-view ( for example ) by clicking a checkbox in the UI's top bar ( PC ), in the bottom center ( mobile ).
This setting is controlled individually for the player's city and for city-view of other players.

Balance:
There is no immediate impact on any aspect of the game, as it's a purely visual addition, as long as the city-view when plundering does not show building skins.

Abuse Prevention:
To prohibit unfair advantage of players with skinned buildings in their city, when plundering a player the building skins are forced off in city-view.

Summary:
It'd be implementing new rewards that are fun, but do not pose a threat to game mechanics, a low development overhead since all the assets are already in the game.
For this reason I think that it does benefit players AND InnoGames, providing new collectible items that can be utilized to maintain the game's economy while reusing old and unused content.

DNS/Other Ideas:

Just being honest.
Is this Fortnite? Is this Minecraft? Skins are for characters in video games, not buildings in a city building game. In your example, having a skin to make a 4x4 building look like a Tholos of Idols level 10 would be downright useless. Why would I want my building to look like a Level 10 tholos of Idols? Especially if I am the only one actually seeing it! This would confuse me when I collected resources and it would just be plain unhelpful. Is hiding an average 4x4 building under a Tholos of Idols skin going to make you feel like you achieved a Level 10 tholos of Idols?
My other problem: What are the limits? There are countless buildings you could make a skin for!
My third problem: If I was doing an event and this was the Grand Prize or the Daily special, I would be more than upset. A useless skin would not benefit my city one bit.
Now, I could see this going somewhere if you took it a different direction. Lets say there's an Event Building. And at it's final level (let's say 8), it was always the same (meaning no multiple choice like the Pirate Ship, Royal Ship, Trader Ship), but you got a skin selection kit that could allow you to make your level 8 event building look two different ways. Still the same building with the same benefits, just customized, so every player doesn't have the exact same Level 8 Event building. That could go somewhere.

kmc11

The way I see it, it is a new item. There are no skins in the game at the moment, so suggesting skins is suggesting a new item.
To me this is DNSL, but it might be something players still want to discuss and maybe it will lead to something, so I move it to General Discussions.

Thank you for keeping the thread then.

Making buildings look like other buildings is totally confusing. There are still players that visit cities and motivate buildings of a specific era for to find GB's of that era. Also players with a Truce Tower aid manually, to get goods from a specific era.

That makes it also an extreme change, cause it will limit players in their way of playing.

This is way being able to OPT-IN or OPT-OUT of the feature and forcing it off for certain interactions is a key to the implementation imho.
The diamond confirmation / animation toggle / quest confirmation works in a similiar way. For some players and or interactions there's a need that these options can be switched on/off at any given time to prevent players from doing something they don't want ( aiding the wrong building/spending diamonds by accident)

Just being honest.
Is this Fortnite? Is this Minecraft? Skins are for characters in video games, not buildings in a city building game. In your example, having a skin to make a 4x4 building look like a Tholos of Idols level 10 would be downright useless. Why would I want my building to look like a Level 10 tholos of Idols? Especially if I am the only one actually seeing it! This would confuse me when I collected resources and it would just be plain unhelpful. Is hiding an average 4x4 building under a Tholos of Idols skin going to make you feel like you achieved a Level 10 tholos of Idols?

It is a city builder yes, but why do we choose certain buildings over others? ALWAYS efficiency. Never the looks.
There is though, a percentage of players that will go by looks, even spend diamonds purely going for the most visually appealing city.
Having the ability to skin a building is not something that players HAVE to do, but giving the people that go by looks a way and incentive to actually play the game without getting stuck in a low age forever.
I personally would not want to skin anything as a Tholos of Idols Lv.10 right now, since I got 2 of them already.
BUT they are almost useless to me and I'll eventually get rid of them for something more efficient. I'd however at some point reskin my one of my 3 Winter Spires or X SoKs or X Dark Doorways to something more visually appealing. OR like you mentioned:

Now, I could see this going somewhere if you took it a different direction. Lets say there's an Event Building. And at it's final level (let's say 8), it was always the same (meaning no multiple choice like the Pirate Ship, Royal Ship, Trader Ship), but you got a skin selection kit that could allow you to make your level 8 event building look two different ways. Still the same building with the same benefits, just customized, so every player doesn't have the exact same Level 8 Event building. That could go somewhere.
A royal ship / evergreen express to one of the less FP efficient variants.
IMHO this is the same idea as let's say you're in Modern era and you have 50 SoKs.
You could reskin one (or more) of them to look like a nuclear shelter(etc). A building that I never saw in the actual game for obvious reasons.

Another example. Tiger's Den. Cool building - but not efficient. Making your Checkmate Square #23 look like it? Why not?

BruteForceAttack

Idea:

Example:

Reason:

Details:

Balance:

Abuse Prevention:

Summary:

DNS/Other Ideas:

Lol

Player1 : One of My Tholos of Idols is giving me less"fps" when I collect.
Support1: It is actually a blah blah

Player2: I accidentally deleted my real Tholos of Idols instead of fake one, can you restore it.

Player3: My Lvl 10 Tholos of Idol is not getting motivated
Support1: It is actually a Level 1

etc etc etc

If you just want to build a fake city...you can use one of the 3rd party app to build it and share it on your social media :)

Aggressor

It is a city builder yes, but why do we choose certain buildings over others? ALWAYS efficiency. Never the looks.
Correct. But to me, it's like my Airpod Pros. If you step back and look at Airpod Pros, they're not visually appealing. Its about flexing on everyone. Same with a FoE city. It's not about the looks, it's the level of your building and the best design that make a city look good.
There is though, a percentage of players that will go by looks, even spend diamonds purely going for the most visually appealing city.
You may be in that percentage, but remember what I said?
My third problem: If I was doing an event and this was the Grand Prize or the Daily special, I would be more than upset. A useless skin would not benefit my city one bit.
Stop and think, how would you get these special items? Well, the same way you get any other special items! Events, daily quests and the antiques dealer.
I would be pretty mad if one of my daily quests was for a Skin, and so would a lot of other players. With only two prize options to choose from, I don't need one of them to be a skin.
I would be pretty mad if this were in an event, because that is one prize that is useless for me.
I would be pretty mad if it were in the antiques dealer, that's one spot where something useful could've been.
Since Inno isn't going to ask everyone "Hey, do you want an efficient city or a good looking city?", this will mean that the majority of efficiency players will be left angry because instead of something useful there's a skin.
So, lastly, if this option would only be for you to see and nobody else, wouldn't the "Beauty before efficiency" people have to realize that their city is only beautiful to them? That to everyone else, their city is both ugly and inefficient? Personally, when I am picking looks for anything, I am judging off of what others will see, not what I will see. I would rather have people tell me my city looks good than think to myself that it does. I do understand that not everyone works like I do though.

Agent327

This is way being able to OPT-IN or OPT-OUT of the feature and forcing it off for certain interactions is a key to the implementation imho.

So because Inno spends a TON of development resources on building designs that are very rarely to never to be seen in any city, you want them to be used as skins and then you want players to be able to OPT-OUT :rolleyes:

Does that make sense to you?

kmc11

So because Inno spends a TON of development resources on building designs that are very rarely to never to be seen in any city, you want them to be used as skins and then you want players to be able to OPT-OUT :rolleyes:

Does that make sense to you?
Yes -
OPT-IN/OPT-OUT as a matter of QoL.
You need to be able to see the actual buildings when motivating/polishing manually or when plundering.
You'd want to be able to see the actual buildings when you're trying to figure out how many buildings of each kind the player has in posession.
But those are specific actions. You have a goal you want to accomplish and anything that stands between you and that goal would be reducing QoL.

If you're just browsing other player's cities, your neighbourhood, checking their profile description etc. I see no reason to have it turned off,
other than you're one of the players that absolutely doesn't care. And for those players, there needs to be a way to OPT-OUT.

You may be in that percentage, but remember what I said?

Not really, I'll always put efficiency over looks.

Stop and think, how would you get these special items? Well, the same way you get any other special items! Events, daily quests and the antiques dealer.
I would be pretty mad if one of my daily quests was for a Skin, and so would a lot of other players. With only two prize options to choose from, I don't need one of them to be a skin.
I would be pretty mad if this were in an event, because that is one prize that is useless for me.
I would be pretty mad if it were in the antiques dealer, that's one spot where something useful could've been.
Since Inno isn't going to ask everyone "Hey, do you want an efficient city or a good looking city?", this will mean that the majority of efficiency players will be left angry because instead of something useful there's a skin.
That is implementation specific, I dare to say you'd agree to me when I say there's "a lot of trash" in Antiques Dealer.
Taking away %% for putting items could be done by removing the chances of "trash" to spawn rather than taking it away from other valuable items.

So, lastly, if this option would only be for you to see and nobody else, wouldn't the "Beauty before efficiency" people have to realize that their city is only beautiful to them? That to everyone else, their city is both ugly and inefficient? Personally, when I am picking looks for anything, I am judging off of what others will see, not what I will see. I would rather have people tell me my city looks good than think to myself that it does. I do understand that not everyone works like I do though.
I agree, if nobody else saw the changes in the city it would be pretty much useless. But that's not the case (imo).
When plundering, I'll not look around your city. I take a look at FoE helper and see that I can plunder 5FP off your TF or 20FP of your winter train and then I'm onto the next victim.
Where you'd actually see these changes is when you view the city of another player. Maybe I'm one of the few players doing this but I do take a look at other people's city from time to time.

Aggressor

Not really, I'll always put efficiency over looks.
I agree, if nobody else saw the changes in the city it would be pretty much useless. But that's not the case (imo).
When plundering, I'll not look around your city. I take a look at FoE helper and see that I can plunder 5FP off your TF or 20FP of your winter train and then I'm onto the next victim.
Where you'd actually see these changes is when you view the city of another player. Maybe I'm one of the few players doing this but I do take a look at other people's city from time to time.
Then my big question is: Why are you suggesting this? If you are an efficiency player who realizes how few people would want this and how little an impact it would make on your game, why ask Inno to develop it?
That is implementation specific, I dare to say you'd agree to me when I say there's "a lot of trash" in Antiques Dealer.
Yes, I agree 100%.
Taking away %% for putting items could be done by removing the chances of "trash" to spawn rather than taking it away from other valuable items.
But one person's trash is another's treasure. I never buy any decorations from the antiques dealer, but some players might want them. I usually don't buy coins, supplies, medals and units, but I have before. So there's no defined "trash", because everything has a use to someone (Even the coliseum, it makes me not feel any guilt I would've had plundering somebody with one). So you can't just define trash.
And basically you could say that if this is taking a "trash" slot, this is essentially trash! Think about it! You're asking Inno to develop these skins, just so that they can go in the trash pile! Doesn't that say something about how useful these things would be if you are saying that Inno could throw them into the unwanted garbage slots of the antiques dealer?

DevaCat

Pointless. Similar "skin" proposals nixed for good reason. I consider this one to be dnsl as well. Fwiw, suggesting an opt-in/opt-out button or an on/off switch is not a good selling point. I generally vote down any "idea" containing such reasoning.

kmc11

But one person's trash is another's treasure. I never buy any decorations from the antiques dealer, but some players might want them. I usually don't buy coins, supplies, medals and units, but I have before. So there's no defined "trash", because everything has a use to someone (Even the coliseum, it makes me not feel any guilt I would've had plundering somebody with one). So you can't just define trash.
And basically you could say that if this is taking a "trash" slot, this is essentially trash! Think about it! You're asking Inno to develop these skins, just so that they can go in the trash pile! Doesn't that say something about how useful these things would be if you are saying that Inno could throw them into the unwanted garbage slots of the antiques dealer?

Beauty generates cash. It has always been and most likely always will be, if it's rare and beautiful it doesn't even have to be useful to fetch a ridiculous amount of money in free market. FoE is a long term game and thus it has to stay profitable for it's long lifespan. Which in a world that is moving ever so slightly faster this isn't an easy one if you're not grabbing a lot of money from PTW and or gambling systems.
And I rather have item skins, which I personally would enjoy over more loot boxes.

There's numerous games that can solely survive through selling cosmetics, mostly building simulators like Habbo Hotel, Furc ...

The thing that is threatening your city's value the most is when Inno decides/declares that the game is not profitable anymore, rebooting or trashing it.
Having monetization mechanics that do not contribute to the upwards spiral of having to create more and more powerful buildings with diamond/cash value ensures that this game does not cease to exist in the upcoming years.

Emberguard

I would love events to change their look with your age at the same rate the Friends tavern does. But I wouldn’t expect the designers to do so for every event building that’s ever been released or even for every event that ever gets released in the future. But it would be a interesting thing to do on occasion or put on things like SoK and Wishing Well

We kind of have “skins” already in a sense. The Ship for example has 3 “skins” in the final upgrade. Of course this also changes the output but it does change the look

in regards to your original idea: I would never use it. If I wanted a Tholos if Idols in my city I’d build an actual Tholos of Idols. Putting a 4x4 building down and then telling the game to display a different building is very likely going to cause bugs and then support will have to be able to tell which buildings are displaying correctly and which ones were changed to a skin.

Skins should be unique to the building you’re using them on if it’s diversity you want rather then a duplicate of a different building

Last edited:

Emberguard

[...] It is a city builder yes, but why do we choose certain buildings over others? ALWAYS efficiency. Never the looks.
Well that was a quick 180. We never choose on looks.... except those guys who do

You can get a reasonably efficient city with looks. Some even only use Great Buildings for their production. It just won’t be as efficient as only putting in the most efficient buildings. Time spent in each age is also a factor. You’re going to have far greater diversity in your city if you’re only staying in that age as long as necessary. If you’re camping for extended periods until you’re a major powerhouse you won’t have as much space to place buildings and therefore won’t have as many techtree buildings or would have more reason to replace the lesser events with duplicates of more efficient ones

A royal ship / evergreen express to one of the less FP efficient variants.
IMHO this is the same idea as let's say you're in Modern era and you have 50 SoKs.
You could reskin one (or more) of them to look like a nuclear shelter(etc). A building that I never saw in the actual game for obvious reasons.
Never saw the nuclear shelter or the SoK?

There’s no reason you couldn’t go for one of the other options though. Not everyone goes purely to the most FP efficient building. If you’re not hyper lvling everything or doing recurring quests you may find goods more valuable then FPs given FPs almost always come with FP event buildings

That “trash” is amazing for city beautification. If looks are what you want then those antiques items are perfect for that. If you want a efficient city then looks are only ever secondary and not an issue

kmc11

Well that was a quick 180. We never choose on looks.... except those guys who do
With "we" I did refer to the top 500 on a server, the players that sit in lock threads and compete on the ladder, in GBG, in GvG, in points.
I haven't seen a player that goes by looks in the top.

You can get a reasonably efficient city with looks. Some even only use Great Buildings for their production. It just won’t be as efficient as only putting in the most efficient buildings. Time spent in each age is also a factor. You’re going to have far greater diversity in your city if you’re only staying in that age as long as necessary. If you’re camping for extended periods until you’re a major powerhouse you won’t have as much space to place buildings and therefore won’t have as many techtree buildings or would have more reason to replace the lesser events with duplicates of more efficient ones
I'm currently at around 100m points in HMA, got most of my GBs @ 70 or beyond. I got the diversity in event buildings, but there's nothing that reflects my age. I'm beyond needing any goods/coins/supplies buildings.
Never saw the nuclear shelter or the SoK?
Shelter. (For good reasons)

There’s no reason you couldn’t go for one of the other options though. Not everyone goes purely to the most FP efficient building. If you’re not hyper lvling everything or doing recurring quests you may find goods more valuable then FPs given FPs almost always come with FP event buildings

That “trash” is amazing for city beautification. If looks are what you want then those antiques items are perfect for that. If you want a efficient city then looks are only ever secondary and not an issue

Yes indeed, it's a concern that I got when thinking of my arc getting closer to 150. I wanna have something to look at as well.

Everybody here has some legit points and opinions imho. Though I genuinely believe this is a good idea that would make the game more attractive to a lot of "casual" players. From a programming perspective, the changes involve no more than a couple boolean values for checkboxes in player settings and a per building numeric value for the building skin id. It's not something that would take a lot of development effort, which I could see would be a massive drawback for a visual improvement.

Last edited:

Falconwing

The reason you don't see those building is because that on some level, they are just no good. If they were, people would build them. Very few people are building stuff cause it's pretty. They build it because they are useful. No matter how pretty they make a Colosseum, no player who isn't a GB collector (or insane) is going to build it. If they changed the ARC's skin tomorrow to look like a giant pile of crap with dildos sticking out of it, people would still build it.

I'd like to also point out that there are at least a thousand or more buildings in this game, many with animations. Making new optional skins for all is a crazy amount of effort with very, very little real payoff. What if they did make skins and you didn't like them either, would they then have to make multiple skins for each building so you could have a choice?

kmc11

The reason you don't see those building is because that on some level, they are just no good. If they were, people would build them. Very few people are building stuff cause it's pretty. They build it because they are useful. No matter how pretty they make a Colosseum, no player who isn't a GB collector (or insane) is going to build it. If they changed the ARC's skin tomorrow to look like a giant pile of crap with dildos sticking out of it, people would still build it.
Ofc, that's exactly why I'm suggesting unlinking the building looks from the actual building. Event buildings final version I go for, always chosen by output rather than looks, but you could have both.

I'd like to also point out that there are at least a thousand or more buildings in this game, many with animations. Making new optional skins for all is a crazy amount of effort with very, very little real payoff. What if they did make skins and you didn't like them either, would they then have to make multiple skins for each building so you could have a choice?

The onlything that would need to be generated is the skinning item and the icon for it, which I guess could be batch built from the buildings icon for all buildings in one go without much human interaction.
The idea/proposal is not about making new skins, rather than being able to slap existing building designs onto others of the same size.
( For example, you got a worlds fair lv10 and you want to make it look like golf course since you got another 5 worlds fairs )
Which, since the assets already exist is as simple as changing the asset ID that is loaded on that building.

Last edited: