• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

buy diamonds

MJ Artisan of War

INNO has very limited payment forms... If they are so focused on increasing income they should expand payment methods.
I used to be deposits through OpenBucks by loading it at Walmart.... Since they discontinued that method haven't bought a single diamond.
My Visa card won't work for oversees transactions, even if You go through Amazon Pay or PayPal.... They obviously haven't figured out the limitations they have on getting U.S. $$$..... But they are saving me my money....

Dursland

why do you not take discover card....
Good question. They don't take my credit card provider either.

I get around this by buying Dollar General gift cards. There is no fee for them and they are really easy to redeem in the shop.

Dursland

Any Dollar General gift card... or a specific one?
Dollar General branded gift cards. They are in the gift card aisle with a very distinct Dollar General logo on them. They say things like Happy Birthday or Congratulations and are either green or blue. You can even purchase them with debit cards, no need to use cash - which is nice.

And when you're ready to use them, you select the gift card option in payments then the Dollar General option. Enter the number on the back, peel off the PIN sticker and enter that too - boom you're good to go.

yellerdog

Dollar General branded gift cards. They are in the gift card aisle with a very distinct Dollar General logo on them. They say things like Happy Birthday or Congratulations and are either green or blue. You can even purchase them with debit cards, no need to use cash - which is nice.

And when you're ready to use them, you select the gift card option in payments then the Dollar General option. Enter the number on the back, peel off the PIN sticker and enter that too - boom you're good to go.
tks for info dursland....

Ironrooster

INNO has very limited payment forms... If they are so focused on increasing income they should expand payment methods.
I used to be deposits through OpenBucks by loading it at Walmart.... Since they discontinued that method haven't bought a single diamond.
My Visa card won't work for oversees transactions, even if You go through Amazon Pay or PayPal.... They obviously haven't figured out the limitations they have on getting U.S. $$$..... But they are saving me my money....
That's interesting, because my VISA card works just fine. I have one I use for overseas transactions and little else.

Johnny B. Goode

The trouble with this post is that the payment issue isn't caused by Inno, but by your credit card provider. I haven't had an issue in my 8 years of playing with using my (no annual fee) credit card.

Johnny B. Goode

No trouble at all JBG.... my bank has saved me thousands that could have been wasted on this dying game....
I was referring to your view that the problem was with what Inno would accept in payment. That is a completely false implication. The issue is with your credit card company, not with Inno. If anyone has issues with payments, they should get either contact their credit card company and find out how to make purchases from an overseas company (whether that's getting a different card from them or making an adjustment to the card they have) or get a different credit card from a different provider.

Mor-Rioghain

I've never had a problem with my card but it's a bank debit card (essentially an electronic check). I don't believe that Inno is the only game developer that is cracking down on methods of payments, it's far more common than one might think. I agree with those who are stating that it's often the limitations set by the card companies not the merchant themselves.

For those who are interested in using such a card you might want to consider doing what I did: I set up a checking/savings account at a Federal Credit Union and pay no monthly fees because I chose the option to use my savings account as a 'buffer' (or whatever they call it) to provide overdraft protection to the checking account. They also offer the same option to those who use direct deposit and it is also free from monthly charges. I also pay no charges for the transactions themselves, only sales tax. Some may not find this an equitable solution but I've found it to be quite handy as I use it as my gaming account or for incidental purchases online so it's easy to keep track of my spending for such hobbies as there are no other types of charges on the statements.

Note on the use of such things as gift cards: Virtually all companies, like Inno, stopped allowing the use of those for two primary reasons:
1) The providers of the cards were never prepared for nor intended for their gift cards to be used for such purchases. The volume of cards sold strictly to purchase items online, such as premium currency for online gaming, became cost-prohibitive. Consequently
2) The companies who provided gift cards to these types of merchants either limited the number of cards that could be used, the dollar amounts that could be used, or more commonly they hiked up the price during contract renegotiations for their percentage on each sale. Typically, the 'split' was a surprising .35 cents to the retailer (i.e., Inno games or whatever company) and 65. cents to the provider of the card. The reasoning behind this was to account for all expenditures to be able to provide the gift cards to the consumer.

Truth is, this is all old news. These kinds of changes in the procurement of and the acceptance of gift cards for online purchases rather than the items sold by the gift card providers started happening well over 10 years ago. Many end-retailers like Inno and other gaming companies opted to handle their own in-game purchasing and eradicated all outside party payment methods outside of bank cards. Considering that FoE is barely 11 years old, I have to say that I actually find it surprising that they ever accepted such forms of payment as gift cards provided by end-user retailers like the ones described above based on my own experience in online game purchases and speaking to people who are in the industry.

xivarmy

I've never had a problem with my card but it's a bank debit card (essentially an electronic check). I don't believe that Inno is the only game developer that is cracking down on methods of payments, it's far more common than one might think. I agree with those who are stating that it's often the limitations set by the card companies not the merchant themselves.

For those who are interested in using such a card you might want to consider doing what I did: I set up a checking/savings account at a Federal Credit Union and pay no monthly fees because I chose the option to use my savings account as a 'buffer' (or whatever they call it) to provide overdraft protection to the checking account. They also offer the same option to those who use direct deposit and it is also free from monthly charges. I also pay no charges for the transactions themselves, only sales tax. Some may not find this an equitable solution but I've found it to be quite handy as I use it as my gaming account or for incidental purchases online so it's easy to keep track of my spending for such hobbies as there are no other types of charges on the statements.

Note on the use of such things as gift cards: Virtually all companies, like Inno, stopped allowing the use of those for two primary reasons:
1) The providers of the cards were never prepared for nor intended for their gift cards to be used for such purchases. The volume of cards sold strictly to purchase items online, such as premium currency for online gaming, became cost-prohibitive. Consequently
2) The companies who provided gift cards to these types of merchants either limited the number of cards that could be used, the dollar amounts that could be used, or more commonly they hiked up the price during contract renegotiations for their percentage on each sale. Typically, the 'split' was a surprising .35 cents to the retailer (i.e., Inno games or whatever company) and 65. cents to the provider of the card. The reasoning behind this was to account for all expenditures to be able to provide the gift cards to the consumer.

Truth is, this is all old news. These kinds of changes in the procurement of and the acceptance of gift cards for online purchases rather than the items sold by the gift card providers started happening well over 10 years ago. Many end-retailers like Inno and other gaming companies opted to handle their own in-game purchasing and eradicated all outside party payment methods outside of bank cards. Considering that FoE is barely 11 years old, I have to say that I actually find it surprising that they ever accepted such forms of payment as gift cards provided by end-user retailers like the ones described above based on my own experience in online game purchases and speaking to people who are in the industry.
Essentially, the premise regardless of margin, is that when you're a digital goods provider, what you're offering does not have an incremental price to produce more. i.e. yes content, art, etc, all costs money - but each copy does not increase your cost.

What they can be afraid of is if the customer would reliably get something for cheaper, then they will of course stop paying the higher price. Hence *sales* on in-game currency have to be handled with caution (not frequent, and in FoE's case, not predictable when you'll next get them).

So if:
- a gift card is sufficiently ornerous that people will not do so if one of the other payment methods will suffice for them
- and yet it increases your sales by allowing some people who would not use other methods online to buy things

Then: whatever % you get is pure profit.

It's also relatively recent that a bank card can be reliably used directly online (with mastercard and visa getting into the debit game, and the gradual uptick in banks offering that as a default). Prior to that you had to go through Paypal - presenting an additional obstacle for a potential customer of having to setup an account there too.

---

Regarding the original poster's question, credit cards with additional perks like Discover also often charge additional fees to the retailer (or in this case the payment processor inno hires to act as their retailer). Often see this in brick and mortar retailers too (not taking Discover).

Accordingly, math is done to say "nah, the additional market share provided by this isn't worth it". (i.e. how many people with a Discover card have that as their only credit card and won't just offer a different card if it's not available).

Mor-Rioghain

It's also relatively recent that a bank card can be reliably used directly online (with mastercard and visa getting into the debit game, and the gradual uptick in banks offering that as a default). Prior to that you had to go through Paypal - presenting an additional obstacle for a potential customer of having to setup an account there too.
I'm not saying that your statement is false but I have to say that I'm actually surprised that it's either been your experience or what you've learned by reading about the industry but to clarify what I stated in my previous post: In my experience and from speaking directly to people in the computer gaming industry (in one particular case, rather lengthy discussions with the CEO and CFO of a small but well-known gaming company based in the U.S. about the very subject of using store gift cards to purchase in-game currency as they were going to be stop providing such services and only offer in-game purchases handled through their company) the figures of .35/.65 were the norm more than 10 years ago and more relative to your point is that I've been using bank cards (debit cards rather than credit cards) from either Federal Credit Unions or Nationwide or International Banks since the 1970's, often purchasing items through catelogs and later online up to and including my more recent purchases described above of digital retail without a single problem and rarely, if ever, having to pay any sort of surcharge since about 1990 or thereabouts as the world began to shift from general sales through in-store purchasing and began to go digital with the advent of the burgeoning Internet. To wit, the banking industry was well ahead of the game and began to provide for no- or low-charge debit cards to it's clients as far back in my recollection as the '80's and they became par for the course by the turn of the century, if not sooner. I would hazard a guess to say that it would be extremely difficult in this day and age to even find a bank that didn't require you to take a debit card/electronic checking card rather than provide you with checks or exchequers or passbooks (do people even use those anymore?) for your bank accounts.

Okay - that's all nice and dandy but maybe still confusing. I'll be plain: I'm 59 years old and have been gaming online since the days of bulletin board systems and was once even a co-sysop of BBS dedicated to fans of Dungeons and Dragons (am I allowed to mention the name of another game on here? IDK and I'm sorry if I've broken a rule) -- and we were definitely rubbing elbows with those in South Central Texas, where Austin was fast becoming the new mecca for all things software, sometimes referred to as the "New Silicone Valley," to provide easier and less expensive ways to game online, specifically for the conversion of what were once considered strictly 'board games' but especially those that were RPGs.

More pertinent to my point is that I've been banking since I was 17, so for 42 years now, and since I was in my very early 20's, I've always had access to electronic banking, and this is why I am so surprised to hear/read that people who are my kid's age, or so it seems, are stymied by the types of purchasing practices that I see as 'old hat' and to them this is all 'new.' I honestly don't get it! Has no one ever explained to those who are too young to remember the practices I'm describing that obtaining a bank account and keeping it in good standing, i.e., no overdrafts, frequent purchases, full payment of fees, etc. is going to help you in establishing credit in your name and secure you financially for your future? If so, why not?? Don't take the advice of some old(er) lady on the Internet except this part: Go ask someone you know and trust about this! LEARN how you can help yourself! Good grief, yes! Even gaming purchases can add up and financial institutions (like mortage companies and the kinds of things young people will want/need in their lives) DO look at this as it's all a part of your financial history! Believe you me, the last thing they want to see on your records is a years-long string of gift card purchases and using whatever "Something-Bucks-Of-The-Day" is the coming thing today! I don't say these things because I'm trying to persuade anyone to spend money on their game but if you are planning on doing it, then do it wisely!!

xivarmy

While debit cards have indeed been normal for a very long time, the ability to use the debit card online has not. i.e. you could use it at brick and mortar retailers, and of course atms. But websites were not easily supported other than through paypal until visa and mastercard got into the game and basically allowed you to use your debit card anywhere you could use their credit cards - and banks slowly started partnering with them.

It's only been within the last 2 years my debit card has been usable online without some sort of intermediary. This could be a Canada thing though.

Mor-Rioghain

It's only been within the last 2 years my debit card has been usable online without some sort of intermediary. This could be a Canada thing though.
I hadn't even considered that! Have you thought of trying an International Bank rather than a National one? I've not used an International Bank in some years but my Federal Credit Union has never been a problem. How odd that these types of transactions wouldn't be rather passe after all of these years that online merchandising and retailing have been around especially when you take into consideration what an upswing such purchasing took when the pandemic and lockdows were in order! I would have to agree that it's a shame that an international company like Inno wouldn't take such issues into consideration if that's the case. I can't help but think that a lot more of the problem has to do with the banks rather than the merchants based on my experience and reading about the issue in general.

xivarmy

I hadn't even considered that! Have you thought of trying an International Bank rather than a National one? I've not used an International Bank in some years but my Federal Credit Union has never been a problem. How odd that these types of transactions wouldn't be rather passe after all of these years that online merchandising and retailing have been around especially when you take into consideration what an upswing such purchasing took when the pandemic and lockdows were in order! I would have to agree that it's a shame that an international company like Inno wouldn't take such issues into consideration if that's the case. I can't help but think that a lot more of the problem has to do with the banks rather than the merchants based on my experience and reading about the issue in general.
The Canadian banks have a partnership called "Interac" which formed the backbone of our debit card system with retailers. It worked rather well apart from online ordering where we have traditionally needed to use a credit card instead or setup a direct connection between a bank account and paypal.

And no, I'm not about to go shopping for a different bank over my inability to pay for some silly pixels online ;) Which is precisely the point of providing additional options - many would-be customers won't-be if a payment option they consider acceptable to them does not work.