• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

C-Map Requirements in Winter Event

• Thread starter DeletedUser36326
  • Start date

DeletedUser36326

:(

Please tell me the wiki is wrong.

I was really glad when they provided alternatives to C-Map requirements for fulfilling main events in the last event. Now they are back in the Winter Event- Quests 5 and 36.

Was really looking forward to that Winter Spire...

DeletedUser30900

Will you feel better if you know that there was a research quest with no alternative and inno changed it into something else? Because that shut down all the cry babies at beta forum for a while. Before they cried about map progression again.

DeletedUser15539

:(

Please tell me the wiki is wrong.

I was really glad when they provided alternatives to C-Map requirements for fulfilling main events in the last event. Now they are back in the Winter Event- Quests 5 and 36.

Was really looking forward to that Winter Spire...
Why do Continent Map requests preclude you from finishing the Event? Store up enough goods beforehand, and negotiate your way through if you are too far ahead of your tech age on the map.

Emberguard

Why do Continent Map requests preclude you from finishing the Event? Store up enough goods beforehand, and negotiate your way through if you are too far ahead of your tech age on the map.
They don't unless you

(A) Refuse to ever change a strategy to suit the situation

(B) Have a niche strategy that ignores significant parts of the game
(which isn't the games fault - that's the player punishing themself not the game punishing the play style. It'd be like choosing to go through the entire game without FPs. Player choice not game design)

(C) Are significantly ahead on the map already for the age they're in. If you never rush ahead more then a single age on the map then you should never have a problem with the amount the events require

(D) You intend to never advance in the game.

(E) You're camping and don't want to move above your age in the map until you've stopped camping for a undetermined amount of time

(F) You don't want to buy goods off of other players and aren't prepared to trade up on the market the goods you do have so you can negotiate sectors

(G) ignore lvl'ing your fighting GBs

These problems mainly arise when players want to hyper lvl GBs prior to moving up an age instead of doing that inbetween going through the ages. It can also happen just through rushing one section of the game while ignoring other parts you need to grow (like aiming for all the map expansions even if they're out of your reach). It should be a reasonably easy fix as long as you haven't rushed so far ahead you're somewhere like Arctic Age map while still in Iron Age and can't fight them

Lvling your GBs before moving is a legit strategy, but it needs to be done within reason rather then doing it at the expense of every other aspect of the game

mamboking053

They don't unless you

(A) Refuse to ever change a strategy to suit the situation

(B) Have a niche strategy that ignores significant parts of the game
(which isn't the games fault - that's the player punishing themself not the game punishing the play style. It'd be like choosing to go through the entire game without FPs. Player choice not game design)

(C) Are significantly ahead on the map already for the age they're in. If you never rush ahead more then a single age on the map then you should never have a problem with the amount the events require

(D) You intend to never advance in the game.

(E) You're camping and don't want to move above your age in the map until you've stopped camping for a undetermined amount of time

(F) You don't want to buy goods off of other players and aren't prepared to trade up on the market the goods you do have so you can negotiate sectors

(G) ignore lvl'ing your fighting GBs

These problems mainly arise when players want to hyper lvl GBs prior to moving up an age instead of doing that inbetween going through the ages. It can also happen just through rushing one section of the game while ignoring other parts you need to grow (like aiming for all the map expansions even if they're out of your reach). It should be a reasonably easy fix as long as you haven't rushed so far ahead you're somewhere like Arctic Age map while still in Iron Age and can't fight them

Lvling your GBs before moving is a legit strategy, but it needs to be done within reason rather then doing it at the expense of every other aspect of the game

I'm in LMA fighting on the Industrial Map.

My CoA and Z are level 8. CdM is level 3, but I just got that.

Camping isn't a bad thing and Inno probably saw that which is why they provided alternatives...

There's a lot of reasons people camp in an age besides incompetence. Sometimes it's pretty sensible to sit and prepare to enter a new age by leveling things like combat GB's to 10. Maybe that person is a big fighter and fights all the time which is why he has no available sectors left besides ones far out of his skill level.

While some options won't sync with everyone's unique play-style, I think that some do push people unfairly into a niche. Forcing a person to drop whatever they're doing and push up through the tech tree to age up for a main event or forcing them not to progress through the C-Map until prompted by event requirements in order to fulfill them...probably not fair- especially when we get events fairly often during a year and each will likely ask for a province toward the end.

Last edited:

mamboking053

That sounds super tedious when trading for ages more than one above your current...

But maybe I'm wrong. Excluding things like goods you've gained from FP trades, how far up have you traded to clear a sector? What's the max age difference from your current?

Emberguard

I'm not saying they're incompetent, I'm saying their game choices are the only thing that'd prevent them from being able to complete the task. The task itself is perfectly reasonable. it's not asking you to complete it every second quest, nor every event

The amount of land between the last bit of LMA and the first Industrial section is massive due to the bonus section. You'd have to be consciously trying to get through the map to get that far while still being in LMA

I too am in Industrial map (just have the Industrial bonuses left to complete). CDM (8) + Zeus (9). Cathedral of Aachen is only lvl 2 as it's pretty new. Been avoiding building the CoA outright all game until Colonial Age and don't actually need the CoA just yet

Sometimes it's pretty sensible to sit and prepare to enter a new age by leveling things like combat GB's to 10.
If they're sitting in order to lvl GBs then it's also reasonable to sit on the C-Map until they've either finished with the GB lvl'ing or need to go forward.

While some options won't sync with everyone's unique play-style, I think that some do push people unfairly into a niche. Forcing a person to drop whatever they're doing and push up through the tech tree to age up for a main event or forcing them not to progress through the C-Map until prompted by event requirements in order to fulfill them...probably not fair- especially when we get events fairly often during a year and each will likely ask for a province toward the end.
Going through the tech tree isn't a niche - it's the games intended design. Avoiding the tech tree, that's the niche.

People don't have to go through the C-Map only when events happen. If they did then they'd never get through the map. There's nothing wrong with stopping before you reach the extent of your current limitations, but it doesn't have to be halted indefinitely on account of events. Even if events never happened you'd still have to stop if it's beyond your limitations. So it's just a matter of stopping a bit before your limitations based on how quickly you intend to advance in other areas

Last edited:

mamboking053

I'm not saying they're incompetent, I'm saying their game choices are the only thing that'd prevent them from being able to complete the task. The task itself is perfectly reasonable. it's not asking you to complete it every second quest, nor every event...

Maybe. I think there was a requirement for it in all the events except for the Khan one. At least the one's I've played. I thought they were getting rid of it as a sole-req but seems the wiki was right after all.

Ah well. Was able to negotiate past it with the meager resources I had for that age (only because those sectors had really low negotiating prices compared to the other ones...bizarre). Unless the last quests that remain unidentified had more pooh in them I should be good. But others might not be so lucky.

Mustapha00

I've long thought that there should always- always- be alternative solution for various Event quests.

Now, that said, if Inno, for whatever reason, decides not to provide alternatives, it is up to the individual player to decide for themselves whether the reward is worth doing whatever it happens to be that you do not wish to do at this time. If you'd have to Age Up in order to complete a "Research A Technology" quest, you've got to either do so or live without the prize. I've done exactly that on more than one occasion.

DeletedUser15539

That sounds super tedious when trading for ages more than one above your current...

But maybe I'm wrong. Excluding things like goods you've gained from FP trades, how far up have you traded to clear a sector? What's the max age difference from your current?
I'm camped out in CE, and am on the Future map. So I use my DT collections to gather up the goods to be able to negotiate the sectors.
If you know something is coming up in the future, why not plan for it?

mamboking053

I'm camped out in CE, and am on the Future map. So I use my DT collections to gather up the goods to be able to negotiate the sectors.
If you know something is coming up in the future, why not plan for it?

I shouldn't have to build a Great Building just to pass an event.

DeletedUser35560

Has anyone ever had any glitches or bugs with the shuffle in the Winter Event?

mamboking053

There are a lot of different event quests you'll have difficulty completing without GBs.

I haven't seen a quest requirement I would call "very difficult". The only difficulty I really have is moving back and forth between different types of requests and- at worse- having to delete some buildings in my city to build buildings I don't have. Beyond that the battles are not hard and the goods can be completed with time. I finished the first 40 in two days. Aside from that, the difficulty is almost always proportionate to your current age.

C-map is different. Difficulty rises with each age you wade through- kind of like advancing through levels of GE. At some point, outside of hardcore trading that sounds even more banal than HQCLicking, I'd rather try climbing up thin air.

Perhaps trading is not as bad as it sounds. I've heard other players warning others about the difficulty or extreme tediousness of trading further and further beyond your current age...