• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Can we rotate the building?

TheAmigo

From the FAQ section of the support page.

View attachment 15977

Reason #2 isn't a valid argument. All that's required is to flip the existing images horizontally. No new artwork, no overhauling, doesn't require "all kind of angles". Browsers can do that real-time so there's no extra storage requirements.

The hypothetical rotate function would just toggle between the two views. A 3x4 building would thus toggle between 3x4 and 4x3 as players want. No need to ever see the back of a building.

DevaCat

Reason #2 isn't a valid argument. All that's required is to flip the existing images horizontally. No new artwork, no overhauling, doesn't require "all kind of angles". Browsers can do that real-time so there's no extra storage requirements.

The hypothetical rotate function would just toggle between the two views. A 3x4 building would thus toggle between 3x4 and 4x3 as players want. No need to ever see the back of a building.
Good luck explaining to Inno that their statement is invalid. And before you trot off to propose a "new" idea re rotating buildings, do yourself a favor and do a search first. You will discover Inno does not want to hear about it and that it is therefore dnsl.

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

RazorbackPirate

Sure it is. Everything is rendered with the light and shadows from the same angle. Flipping the building will reverse the shadows as well as text. You mat not care, but I appreciate Inno's commitment to holding their graphics quality to a consistently high standard.

Aggressor

Reason #2 isn't a valid argument.
Read the whole thing.
Forget the whole only one angle and system overhaul, I personally would rather have more challenges rearranging my city and have all of Inno's cool new features (well, exception is the PvP Arena) than tell Inno to put attention into new animations. I like having new game features to look forward to and asking Inno to drop those would be senseless.

TheAmigo

@DevaCat Thanks for the welcome. I realize it's probably a lost cause, since they can always stick with #1 "we like it this way". I'm just pointing out that it could be done without the "overhaul" described in the FAQ. It's a line I hear from my devs... "that wouldn't be a good feature" when they really mean it's too much work. Once I point out that there's an easy way to implement, they start to agree that it would be nice to have.

@RazorbackPirate the buildings are rendered with the light source nearly straight overhead. But you're right, there is a slight angle so shadows would be slightly off. I'm only in IA so I might be missing something, but I haven't seen any text in the artwork. If there were, it would require new art for each translation.

For comparison, here's a 4x5 Goat Farm next to a mythical 5x4 Goat Farm:
foe_flip.png