• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Carnival 2018 Feedback

Algona

Add on to precious post. I jusr did a full analysis of my Col city.

Size Number of that size.

2x2 29
2x3 24
3z3 9
3x4 6
3x5 2
4x4 9

I Counted all buildings 5c5 or larfer as 1 road point. There were 11 of them

The total using the 'we' method is 198. The total roads in my city 134. Sue me for inefficiency.

Let's look at that model from up above as a city of all 1x1 buildings.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
BrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrB
BrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrB
BrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrB
BrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrB
BrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrBBrB

Since the 'r' is smaller then the 'B' there should be 24 Bs and 24 rs across the top.

24 Buildings across the top 5 rows if 16 Buildings. 104 Buildings.

Using the 'we' method of counting eah Building needs 1 Road Tile meaning there should be 104 Road Tiles.

24 Road Tiels across the top, 8 columns of 5 Road Tiles. 64 Road Tiles.

Model it however you want. Analyze your city. Use the city planner. Calculate how many 'we' should have then count how many are actually there.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To show the 'possum it could be done.

And to show the 'we' method it should be done.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Yeah, this one kind of stunk. Despite easily finishing the entire questline on 4 different worlds, I did not get lucky enough to get up to a level 7 Bridge on any one of them. One was lucky and got to level 6, and one got to level 5, but the other two only got to levels 4 and 3. And I probably won't build any of them, including the level 6 one. Too many other good buildings I can put in that space.

DeletedUser34610

Yeah, this one kind of stunk. Despite easily finishing the entire questline on 4 different worlds, I did not get lucky enough to get up to a level 7 Bridge on any one of them. One was lucky and got to level 6, and one got to level 5, but the other two only got to levels 4 and 3. And I probably won't build any of them, including the level 6 one. Too many other good buildings I can put in that space.
I had over 9800+ Florins saved up and ended with 1 SoK, 4 Victory Towers and 5 Watchfires, plus a couple of other even less memorable "Prizes"...Then a few nights ago had enough Florins again saved for 4 tries at SoK...Not 1, Not 2, but 4 Venice Canals...Seriously!!!

Algona

Thanks for offering a collection of utter garbage for the end of Carnival.

Finishing on Bridge when so many folk complained about a lack of upgrades... Yeeeesh.

----------

Why I think this Event was not so well received, or Why This Event Sucked.

Minor factor: Last Event's ultimate Prize was the best Special Building ever. Following immediately with a not so good version in a more difficult Event seems like a terrible way to start the Event.

The major problem with this Event is simple.

There were too many ways to fail at this Event.

A typical Event has 2 'points of 'failure'; (parts of the Event where a player can fail.) QuestLines and some 'game'. This Event had 3 points of failure: the Questlines and 2 separate games: converting Tickets to Florins through the 3 games. and converting Florins to Prizes through the Chest.

To be successful in this Event players had to navigate through all three points of failure. It was way to easy to get discouraged, there was an unusual percentage of players posting they were giving up partway through.

I didn't see a lot of direct comment on it, but i got the feeling there was a fair amount of dissatisfaction with the process as much as there was with results, failures, and prizes won. I think passing through multiple gyrations had a distinct negative effect on the reception.

Players who did work their way through the Quests noted the difficulty in converting Tickets to sufficient Florins to maximize the chances of winning of desirable Prizes in the chest.

There were players who through skill and or luck did well in this Event, but there are fewer ten most Events.

INNO did not take the third point of failure into account when designing the Event or deliberately designed this Event to be much more difficult. then past Events. Your call on which. We'll know the answer soon enough:

Hopefully we won't see this many points of failure in future Events.

DeletedUser

Finishing on Bridge when so many folk complained about a lack of upgrades... Yeeeesh.

----------

Why I think this Event was not so well received, or Why This Event Sucked.

Minor factor: Last Event's ultimate Prize was the best Special Building ever. Following immediately with a not so good version in a more difficult Event seems like a terrible way to start the Event.

The major problem with this Event is simple.

There were too many ways to fail at this Event.

A typical Event has 2 'points of 'failure'; (parts of the Event where a player can fail.) QuestLines and some 'game'. This Event had 3 points of failure: the Questlines and 2 separate games: converting Tickets to Florins through the 3 games. and converting Florins to Prizes through the Chest.

To be successful in this Event players had to navigate through all three points of failure. It was way to easy to get discouraged, there was an unusual percentage of players posting they were giving up partway through.

I didn't see a lot of direct comment on it, but i got the feeling there was a fair amount of dissatisfaction with the process as much as there was with results, failures, and prizes won. I think passing through multiple gyrations had a distinct negative effect on the reception.

Players who did work their way through the Quests noted the difficulty in converting Tickets to sufficient Florins to maximize the chances of winning of desirable Prizes in the chest.

There were players who through skill and or luck did well in this Event, but there are fewer ten most Events.

INNO did not take the third point of failure into account when designing the Event or deliberately designed this Event to be much more difficult. then past Events. Your call on which. We'll know the answer soon enough:

Hopefully we won't see this many points of failure in future Events.
I'm pretty sure this is how the Carnival Event worked last year, too. And I don't remember liking it or the prizes much then, either.

Graviton

Yeah, this Event was more difficult than maybe any before it. Or perhaps more accurately, it was more dependent on blind luck. I can see why players with only one or two cities would be frustrated. OTOH, that makes a level 7 Bridge pretty rare, which means more bragging rights than the 'typical' Event in which everybody and his cousin gets the Big Prize.

Everybody's Special.jpg

I'd bet that Bridge upgrades will be forthcoming in other quests.

DeletedUser33134

Just a few thoughts of encouragement on the Carnival. As a newbie, this was my 3rd event and I enjoyed it far better then the first two. Perhaps, more so, because I understand the FOE Game much better. I picked up some valuable tools...pleased with having won a Rogue Hideout, Gondola Market and Watch Fires (7X) to defend my Empire. If there was one thing that I would change, it would be an option to swap prizes with other Players...for instance, with my luck, I picked up 4 Venice Canals. If there were players who had the same of multiple prizes, a swap meet would be excellent. Otherwise, I enjoyed the Carnival immensely, played as often as possible and can now defend my Empire even stronger! Thanks for all the hard work in putting the Carnival on the Game Board! Sincerely!!!

DeletedUser30312

I didn't dislike it as badly as last year's Carnival, but then I went in with very low expectations from experience, and I wasn't wowed by the prizes. I didn't bother much with this event in earnest. Then again too, this year the Carnival was a bit more honest with its theme; instead of a Casanova looking to get laid, you're playing back alley carny games where there's probably guys hiding in the shadows to shank you if you do too well. The middle game being the shell game really helped to drive it home.

What sucks about it it is that's there's not one, but two event currencies to be won. The more common is the tickets, which must be spent to win Florins. In order to get enough Florins to actually get any prizes, you have to take a chance at the games, possibly losing all the tickets. Or you can just go with the sure bet and seldom have enough Florins to do anything useful. It sucks to do a quest, particularly one that's costly, only to lose all the tickets to bad luck. It's slightly balanced by the fact that you get a steady stream of tickets, and that the quests alternate between tickets and Florins. Getting a pile of 2000 florins partway through the questline lessens some of the sting, but to get that far required map advancement, which might be too costly in its own way for the player over the long run. Then of course the prizes come in chests with several different prizes, some of which are undesirable. There's a bad taste left in the mouth to pick up something like a Victory Tower or Shrine of Inspiration after all the trouble needed to get the Florins.

Zatrikon

I'd bet that Bridge upgrades will be forthcoming in other quests.
I sure hope so. IMO, a level 1-4 Grand Bridge isn't worth the space. A Level 5 is just barely worth it.

It seems to me that for any event, if you successfully complete all the quests, then you really should get the maximum prize with a pretty high degree of certainly. I completed all the quests in two worlds and didn't get enough upgrades in either one for a level 6, let alone level 7.