• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Carnival 2019 Feedback

Super Catanian

Now let's get back on topic.

Day 2 of the Carnival event. Completed a decent amount of quests but have not received any other buildings of the Piazza Set; only the Mask Vendor. Am in the Bronze League, so not too bad...
Hearing that some might not participate (because it's so luck based) increases my chances of being in the Silver League!

RazorbackPirate

Whomever posted that this events building sets look like a new version of the Cherry Blossoms Sets is 100% correct. In fact I'm pretty sure the CB sets as upgraded to level 2 are better than anything coming outa this event. That is the reason that I am passing on this event for all 3 of my cities.
Be 'pretty sure' all you want, but that won't negate the fact that you're 100% wrong. Pass on a better Set than the Cherry Set all you want, It's only you who'll have regrets later.
When they give us special buildings from past events and say they are level 1, there is the implication that there will be a level 2. We've had several events since the level 1 palaces and fountains, yet no more levels. That's disappointing.
No where on the Palace Set or the Fountain Set does it say Level 1. Anywhere. So there is no implication there will be a level 2. As far as this event is concerned all 5 level 1 buildings and all 5 level 2 building upgrades are available throughout the event.

So, I'm pretty sure given this entire post you have no idea what you're talking about.

Zatrikon

My current game wins:

3 for 23 on the 15% game = actual percentage 13%
3 for 77 on the 5% game = actual percentage 3.9%

So pretty close. I got off to a bad start, so my totals are slightly below average.

DeletedUser30312

I'd bet they bet badly. ALWAYS bet on stupid. Stupid always wins. Like the Patriots. Or Golden State...

Yeah, you can't count on neighbors to do the stupid thing that benefits you though, unfortunately.

The game performance has gone to hell this morning — thanks, no doubt, to the new code (insufficiently tested, as usual) from the Carnival.

Thanks, InnoGames !!!!

However, you can count on lemur to complain about the latest event.

I did have performance issues myself yesterday, much more than normal. However, the game seems to be running more smoothly since I emptied out my browser cache like I usually do when there's a game update.

Anyway, the key here to the Carnival is to bet smart. With the middle game, it's usually best to let the pot get to at least 120-140 Florins and then spend no more than 6 or 7 tickets to win the pot, because the chance of winning on the game is between 1 in 6 and 1 in 7. With the boats, I think it's about 300-350 where it starts being worth a gamble? The boat game is a 5% or a 1 in 20. Keep in mind it's on a bell curve, the more players take a risk at it, the greater chance that someone will win goes up, but eventually someone will win, so the chance of a having a really big jackpot goes down. Don't double up unless the pot is stupidly huge.

If neither the shell game nor the boats have much of a pot, then the 100% is okay, but it generates such small amounts of Florins that you won't be able to open many chests. Usually if I'm full on tickets, and neither the 15 or 5% games are worth it, I'll play enough of the 100% to keep the hourly ticket flow going. If I'm on for a while, I keep 10 around, and spend 1 as soon as it hits 11, otherwise I time it to productions, say if I have 4 hours going on productions and I'm about to log, I run the tickets down to 7. It's like the FP bar as it fills 1/hour, so use the same strategy you use there to keep it filling up at a constant rate.

Chest strategy is going to be tricky since they added a league to it this year. The questline gives the center piece early on, and a selection kit at the end. Bronze league gives another selection kit. If you play the game enough, finish the quests, and get into Bronze at the end, then that's two selection kits, which should probably be spent on upgrades. That means winning 7 pieces, the other 4 pieces for the level 1 set, and 3 upgrades. I suggest waiting a few days and building up a pile of Florins before touching the chests. Then first go for the base pieces, then upgrades once you've got a full set. A partially leveled complete set is better than an incomplete set that might have a level 2 piece. Remember, the specials switch every 6 hours, so the pieces will show up more often.

The big problem with Carnival is that you need enough neighbors to not understand the probabilities and run up the pots, but eventually people get burned and stop taking risks. The first Carnival was like that two years ago where eventually people in my hood stopped playing at all it seemed. Last year was a little better, people eventually ignored the 15% game, but enough kept going at the boats to make the risks worth it. Another problem is that's it's unfriendly for the casual player who only logs in once or twice a day, when it's more beneficial to camp all day and wait for people to bet over their heads. On the upside, this years, there's two big Florin prizes along the questline to help players out, and I think the chests are a little cheaper than they were.

So for now, I'm going to wait and build up my Florins. I did get the Mask Vendor upgrade yesterday, so I have that piece completed. I still need to get the other 4 pieces to the set and upgrades for two of them, hopefully I'll finish at Bronze and have 2 selection kits for the other missing upgrades, or I'll have to get a third upgrade, which will be tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser38138

My strategy of opening the chests about 15 to 20 minutes in between and about 2 hours into the offering seems to be working. I got the Piazza Café after only 4 attempts. So far I have all the buildings offered so far and upgrades except the mask vendor upgrade.

Could be luck also but I am in no rush to open the chests. I will wait til the next building offering to try again and still have 3100 florins left. No diamonds bought either.

qaccy

@WiseNoblekhan It's always going to be random. It's seemingly in our nature though to develop rituals or habits that we think have a positive effect on the outcome.

Anyway, my feedback on the event so far is probably rather strange. I have zero interest in every possible prize from all of the chests except for the daily specials, of which I'm only interested in set buildings. Everything else, while certainly varied, is decidedly mediocre for me. I feel like too many of the prizes are mere resources or consumables, rather than actual buildings. Perhaps Carnival's design just isn't intended to lend itself to finishing up with a ton of (useful or otherwise) buildings, but even if they're not something I personally want to build, they do feel 'meatier' and more meaningful as prizes.

And this isn't really related, but whatever happened to winning military buildings as prizes from...anything? This capability was quietly phased out several years ago (we were last able to win them shortly after the release of the Future Era), and I still kinda miss it. Perhaps those were too valuable as prizes?

DeletedUser37581

My strategy of opening the chests about 15 to 20 minutes in between and about 2 hours into the offering seems to be working. I got the Piazza Café after only 4 attempts. So far I have all the buildings offered so far and upgrades except the mask vendor upgrade.

Could be luck also but I am in no rush to open the chests. I will wait til the next building offering to try again and still have 3100 florins left. No diamonds bought either.
While waiting 15 to 20 minutes between opening chests may seem like a somewhat futile exercise in an attempt to circumvent the random number generator (RNG), the fact is that Inno's RNG is excessively streaky. Over the long run, it all evens out, but in the short run a streak can have a major impact on winning or not winning a prize. And even with a "perfect" RNG, nothing would be lost by using this method.

DeletedUser30312

Anyway, my feedback on the event so far is probably rather strange. I have zero interest in every possible prize from all of the chests except for the daily specials, of which I'm only interested in set buildings. Everything else, while certainly varied, is decidedly mediocre for me. I feel like too many of the prizes are mere resources or consumables, rather than actual buildings. Perhaps Carnival's design just isn't intended to lend itself to finishing up with a ton of (useful or otherwise) buildings, but even if they're not something I personally want to build, they do feel 'meatier' and more meaningful as prizes.

And this isn't really related, but whatever happened to winning military buildings as prizes from...anything? This capability was quietly phased out several years ago (we were last able to win them shortly after the release of the Future Era), and I still kinda miss it. Perhaps those were too valuable as prizes?

It's been like that the last several events though. Forge Bowl had lousy prizes from the players for the most part except for the Estates and Quarters, so the gameplay there came down to maximizing yardage unless you wanted to farm a daily special or the special buildings.

As for military buildings, it might be the evolving meta. The events give out a good number of unattached units, and the unattached units are also pretty easy to get in the GE and DCs. Even the special units like Rogues and Champions, or the Color Guards or Military Drummers for that matter (for the latter two, any player really only needs a small handful of them unless they want to spam them for cheap siege fodder). Rogues got even easier to get now with the Himeji, and let's face it, how much serious combat is driven by Rogues? Once you have enough Hideouts or better yet Dens, you don't need normal buildings unless you're stocking up for GvG. The buildings aren't really needed with all the unattached available, even for a city that just leveled. I leveled a city during Forge Bowl, and since one of the best players for yardage awarded units, I was able to quickly build up enough current age units for a decent defense army without having to research in the current age.

DeletedUser29726

I don't think it was so much 'too valuable' as encouraging a play-style they'd rather not - namely researching nothing in an age and getting your barracks from events for traz to make lots of excess troops from events while not planning to leave it for years. Of course since then they removed the progress pressure from events anyways mostly... so maybe it might come back since they gave in on that battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30312

Got the Piazza Cafe piece, that's 2 parts of the set down. I cleaned up on the boat jackpot too. I had 6 or 7 tickets sitting around, and the boats were at 500-some Florins, so I went for the jackpot. I didn't get it, but there was only 11 minutes left on the next ticket, so I stuck around. Some neighbors continued to build up the pot, and it got to over 800. So when that new ticket came up for me, I paid out the 20 Florins for the double and got lucky, shelling in a nice jackpot. Out of tickets now, but that's fine, by the time I log in again tomorrow, I should be back up to the full 11.

Going by the wiki, it looks like gold chests aren't a good idea here. They're very expensive, and only have a 12 or 13% chance for the special, where most of the other chests range from 7% to 11%. And look at what the gold have to offer. The Historian's chest has the residentials and Venice Canal from the previous 2 Carnivals, or a Victory Tower. Those aren't really valuable to an established player at all. The Innovator's Chest has FP, but even the 20 FP prize isn't worth dumping 360 Florins on this chest given how easy bar FP are to come by these days. The Generalist's Chest is the worst of the lot, with nothing but a 1 up kit, Store Building a boost crate, and a mediocre supply rush for the high, high price of 400 Florins, even though it has the 13% for the special. 1 ups and Stores are easy enough to get elsewhere, and the boost crate is like tossing your Florins in the Canals in the bad part of town.

The red chests tend to be the ones to go for but watch out for the 140 Researcher's Chest. Just a 5% for the special, and nothing more than 2 or 5 bar FP. The chests with normal units, medals, and fragments offer the best rates overall here.

https://forgeofempires.fandom.com/wiki/2019_Carnival_Event

Super Catanian

EVENT LOG
Day 3 of the Carnival Event

Just built the Piazza Mask Vendor in my main city, just to benefit from its medal income for now. The hoodies raised the jackpot of the boat race to over 500 Florins. I had just completed a quest that gave me Tickets, thus having 9. I took a chance and got it! Also hit the jackpot with the cup and ball game in my other city, giving me 90 Florins. Am saving up those Florins for later. I am now around the 11th quest, and I feel pretty confident, to say the least.
EDIT: I have done 15 quests in each of my cities and won another 200 Florins in my second city from the cup and ball game. I think that game has the most efficient Ticket to Florin ratio.

Last edited:

DreadfulCadillac

u know..im not announcing what i get daily here.ill just annonuce if i get the full set at the end at lvl 2.
but i will anounce if i get SUPER LUCKY!like i got the piazza cafe on my second try

Altercus

It's definitely not 5% for me. My impression of this event right now is the same as the impression I get when I see a huge pile of dog turds on the sidewalk.

AceGoober

Received a Piazza Cafe, Upgrade and Mask Vendor so far. It would be nice to win the entire to display yet otherwise the incomplete pieces will remain in inventory.

In Silver League at the moment. Will see how long that lasts...

DeletedUser38090

It would be nice to win the entire to display yet otherwise the incomplete pieces will remain in inventory.
You'll get 1 set piece of your choosing form completing the questline, and 1 for being in Bronze (most likely for those who don't use diamonds for florins), so you only need 1 more from the chests.