• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Carnival 2019 Feedback

DeletedUser34800

Agreed. Almost, see below. I picked this sample from this one page of this one thread.

5 (inlcuding me) players hating on this Event.

This is an awful Event, but is it the worst? No. It's tied for the worst, last years Carnival was the same Event with the same sort of feedback:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/carnival-2018-feedback.21843/

INNO what were you thinking running this again?

I know, hoping to hook the whales you missed last year. I hope it's worth it. I guess we'll find out next year.

You're absolutely right. I hated last year's Carnival event as well. It was garbage too.

This design is just the worst. They need to scrap it and redesign it for next year.

DreadfulCadillac

iv e been preety lucky, got ost of the set..problem:I RUN OUTA FLORINS.but th questline will help with that.i got most of tha set and most upgrades so far:)

AceGoober

I'm currently on Event Quest #29: Scout a Province. On mobile so I guestimated the time it would take to scout the province but was off by 10 hours. Still 7 hours to go until the Pro ince is scouted. I really wish mobile displayed scout time with each province but that is a completely different topic outside of the scope of event discussion.

So far I have spent 8,330 Florins, won 5% 4 times and 15% 6 times. In my experience it doesn't seem to make a difference with the double the percentage when spending an additional 20 Florins. I'm going to start hoarding tickets and Florins since RNG during this event is seemingly stacked against me.

Agent327

You only need 5 pieces in total to complete the set, and it's FP production at all set pieces at level 1 is 4 fp, which is not super terrible, especially with the other boosts. Just two more upgrades on any of the FP producing buildings and you have something that is more efficient than an area occupied by Shrines of Knowledge, so really all you need is 7 pieces. Quest rewards give you two pieces already, and getting in Bronze, which is not that hard, gives you 1 extra piece, so really all you need is to get 4 pieces from the chests to make a competitive set, or just 2 pieces to make a complete set.

Again, amazing knowledge for a noob. Thanks for sharing this.

DeletedUser34410

You only need 5 pieces in total to complete the set, and it's FP production at all set pieces at level 1 is 4 fp, which is not super terrible, especially with the other boosts. Just two more upgrades on any of the FP producing buildings and you have something that is more efficient than an area occupied by Shrines of Knowledge, so really all you need is 7 pieces. Quest rewards give you two pieces already, and getting in Bronze, which is not that hard, gives you 1 extra piece, so really all you need is to get 4 pieces from the chests to make a competitive set, or just 2 pieces to make a complete set.
Right, because the event is _totally_ amazing if you drop the goal from 10 buildings to 7. /s

... also, sorry mods. I was pissed and shouldn't have cursed earlier. My bad. Thanks for the edit.

DeletedUser38090

Right, because the event is _totally_ amazing if you drop the goal from 10 buildings to 7. /s
I used "pieces" to refer to both buildings and upgrades, but that's a semantic point that I'd prefer not to argue further.

Requiring less upgrades and buildings makes the end result much more feasible, if you ask me. An event that is feasible enough for me to achieve my goals in this game is much more enjoyable than having to participate in an event with high expectations, not getting them, and then become extremely frustrated.

With the entire completion of the questline, you're getting 12,500 florins, and with 4 pieces needed to make a competitive set, you'll need around 3125 florins per piece. Compare this to the expected value of 2500 florins per piece, (assuming you're achieving 25 or less for the florins/% ratio), and you can have below average luck (while not even dabbling with the gambling portion of the game), and still are very likely get your 4 pieces for a competitive set. Now suppose we want 7 pieces from the chests, which means 1785.7 florins/piece, which is some above average luck there.

Which makes it a great time to level up and destroy your neighbors by being one age ahead of them on troops!
Well, I aged up to Iron in my hood and it looks like I'm going to be the only late IA person for the next 3 weeks, which is going to be super boring. Can't even plunder anybody.

DeletedUser38090

I am having insane luck this event. Spent 10600 florins and have a full set with 2 upgrades.

Haven't even used the end of questline bonus yet.
Dang, 6 pieces for 10,600 florins?!? Yep, that's some insane luck right now.

DeletedUser28099

I'll stop at quest 29 as I don't want to scout a province. Hope I can get some SoKs or Watchfires in my main world and WWs in my diamond farm.
I couldn't continue even if I wanted to. I had already cleaned out the continent for my current era last week and completed the story quest to reach a new continent. But there's no way I can take over the first province that requires goods and/or military units from the era I haven't reached, and I can't scout another province until I conquer this first one. Argh! All the other quests gave you a choice in case you were blocked on one of the options, but not this time. Thanks, Inno. You once again turned a fun diversion into an exercise in frustration.

Jern2017

I couldn't continue even if I wanted to. I had already cleaned out the continent for my current era last week and completed the story quest to reach a new continent. But there's no way I can take over the first province that requires goods and/or military units from the era I haven't reached, and I can't scout another province until I conquer this first one. Argh! All the other quests gave you a choice in case you were blocked on one of the options, but not this time. Thanks, Inno. You once again turned a fun diversion into an exercise in frustration.

If you've already acquired a province on the new continent and need to acquire it before you can scout a new one, you could try trading up for the goods. If it's just one age, you should be able to do it if any members of your guild or friends who are in a higher age than you are willing to help.

DeletedUser28099

If you've already acquired a province on the new continent and need to acquire it before you can scout a new one, you could try trading up for the goods.
That's what I ended up doing. It cost me dearly, but I couldn't stand to watch 19 days of event drift by with me unable to do anything.

Doesn't really change my anger at turning light entertainment into a frustrating drudgery, however.

Kesto11

I hate opening chests now, watching my florins evaporate while I hope spending 10k florins isn't a complete waste, which it far too often is. 47k florins spent over 3 worlds and 13 total wins. Opened nearly 200 chests and gotten 13 wins. That is well below 7% on average. This event is making me think about quitting the game entirely due to have my donkey handed to me after spending 4k diamonds to win a single special.

Inno is making the Spring Event identical to the Forge Bowl, so there's pretty much no hope left of being able to gain extra Grand Prizes or sets without spending well over 10k diamonds anymore. No more hope to get any Cherry Sets up to level 2 or even 3, and most events are about getting a single building to the highest level. It's good to have the best prize achievable without diamonds, but I don't want to spend 20k diamonds to get a single extra building.

And why would I want to buy diamonds if it takes ridiculous amounts of them just to add 10% attack, a few FPs, and a few goods to my city?

But at least I have dozens of useless standard production, cultural, and residential buildings flooding my inventory and less desire than ever to continue playing the game.

DeletedUser29623

I don’t mind some gambling, but the double long shot gambling of the event is too much. However, I think it’s an effective way to get people to spend diamonds. I did last year but this year I’m resisting.

The one thing I like is how often the specials change.

cton2.forge

It's official. I love this event so much. Wanna know why? Of course you do! It's because you hate it.

Also what got me through Ranger school. No matter how bad my day might be the utter look of misery on other people's faces made me feel like it can't be that bad. Also why I come to the forum, to make myself feel better...:p

DeletedUser30312

Agreed. Almost, see below. I picked this sample from this one page of this one thread.

5 (inlcuding me) players hating on this Event.

This is an awful Event, but is it the worst? No. It's tied for the worst, last years Carnival was the same Event with the same sort of feedback:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/carnival-2018-feedback.21843/

INNO what were you thinking running this again?

I know, hoping to hook the whales you missed last year. I hope it's worth it. I guess we'll find out next year.

What were they thinking? Probably it's easier to use the same code from the last two years than make something entirely new up. Also, there's a Carnival achievement, so people who got through it previous years can level it up if they want. Possibly they make some decent income on diamond sales as well, the Masquerade Ball and last year's Dock Market and bridge might have gotten the whales spending, and there's a decent set here to tempt them. Inno's very cleverly designed this event around player psychology and an overall lack of understanding of probability.

Carnival is still the nadir of the yearly events, but if the whales spends, that's where Inno listens.

Haven't picked up any new set pieces yet, but I did get a WW shrink on one of my side cities.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser37617

Hate this event. The odds of winning games are so low. Nothing like playing 10 In a row with all 'try again.' I definitely would not spend diamonds on such lousy odds. Oh well, just a game.

Cheers!

LOL. I can top that! I got 20 tickets from the quest and with the few I already had I felt *sure* that I could win the 5% one that was already up to a pot of 400 florins... turns out I was wrong! I have found that I stand much better chances on the 15%.

I started this event not expecting to get anything I really wanted and so far I have not been disappointed. I will not be spending any diamonds to get further and have managed to get a couple of the residential buildings which look nice and helped me get rid of some houses.

DeletedUser38090

The only big issue that I have with this event is that the neighborhoods are going to stay the same, and I'm stuck in a hood with a bunch of Bronze Age players who probably are quitting the game or something. I would be surprised if there will be more than 15 active people in my hood by the end of this event.