• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Castle System Feedback

Johnny B. Goode

While it won't break the bank for my city, I agree it is bad design to have the castle reward make it harder to complete quests.

The reduced cost is meant to ease the burden for those that are into tavern boosts, not increase it. So it won't impact those who are already developed and no longer require the tavern, but it absolutely will make a difference for those that are constantly using the tavern outside of quests.

The question in mind then becomes is the offset on reduced cost enough to mitigate the increased cost in quests?

Base costs here: https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Friends_Tavern

My guess is probably not for a while. Would need to sit down and figure out the exact cost reductions and consequences to then work out a estimate of what you'd need to be spending on the regular to offset the quests on each Castle Level
Another thing everyone is forgetting here is that the "activate x boosts" quests are made cheaper. And they show up at least as often as the "spend Tavern silver" quests in my experience. So my guess is that overall it's a wash. The increased cost for the one is offset by the reduced cost in the other. Although a player might still get by with spending a similar amount for the "spend Tavern silver" quest even with the reduced boost cost by combining boosts rather than fulfilling it with only one. (Now that would be a workaround.)

Pericles the Lion

Taking nearly 4 months to nerf the Castle System attack bonus because it was "not intended" is, IMO, amateurish. There are players that took advantage of the "in game purchases" offer to acquire Castle points in addition to diamonds. My feedback is that some form of recompense is due to these players.

LeCron

FOE Team
Community Manager
Taking nearly 4 months to nerf the Castle System attack bonus because it was "not intended" is, IMO, amateurish. There are players that took advantage of the "in game purchases" offer to acquire Castle points in addition to diamonds. My feedback is that some form of recompense is due to these players.

Just to make it clear, and please correct me if I'm wrong: your feedback is that you didn't enjoy the change we made, even though it was a bug we fixed instead of a nerf to the feature. "Some form of recompense" would be your request or suggestion, but not a feedback.

I'm really sorry this change upset and frustrated you and other players as well, however, it was necessary to balance the game.

Please read our 7.2 of our Terms and Conditions (article 7 scope of our content)

"7.2 All the Games, Services, Premium Services, items or currencies we offer are reworked and updated at our discretion to ensure that they remain attractive for the largest possible circle of users. To make sure that all users can take part in the Game, it is essential that all users use the same version of the Game, Services, Premium Services, items or currency. For this reason, you may use the relevant Game, Service, Premium Service, item or the currency only in the most recent version."

This change was made for everyone simultaneously, and not for one user at the expense of the other. We also made it due to a technical issue with our core design, and to ensure that our game is balanced in the way we have planned over the long-term.

This is the final decision, and unfortunately, at this point we're not considering any kind of compensation or reimbursement of any sorts for this matter and while we cannot directly take any action on it, we will be happy to forward your feedback to the relevant teams.

Kranyar the Mysterious

D
Just to make it clear, and please correct me if I'm wrong: your feedback is that you didn't enjoy the change we made, even though it was a bug we fixed instead of a nerf to the feature. "Some form of recompense" would be your request or suggestion, but not a feedback.

I'm really sorry this change upset and frustrated you and other players as well, however, it was necessary to balance the game.

Please read our 7.2 of our Terms and Conditions (article 7 scope of our content)

"7.2 All the Games, Services, Premium Services, items or currencies we offer are reworked and updated at our discretion to ensure that they remain attractive for the largest possible circle of users. To make sure that all users can take part in the Game, it is essential that all users use the same version of the Game, Services, Premium Services, items or currency. For this reason, you may use the relevant Game, Service, Premium Service, item or the currency only in the most recent version."

This change was made for everyone simultaneously, and not for one user at the expense of the other. We also made it due to a technical issue with our core design, and to ensure that our game is balanced in the way we have planned over the long-term.

This is the final decision, and unfortunately, at this point we're not considering any kind of compensation or reimbursement of any sorts for this matter and while we cannot directly take any action on it, we will be happy to forward your feedback to the relevant teams.
Yes, it was a stinky change that was done way after a lot of people spent a ton of real money to get the bonus and just barely long enough after the period where players can't demand their money back anymore). Just because it's your final decision doesn't mean anyone needs to like it or think what did was right. You basically stole money from customers. Those kinds decisions will eventually come back to bite you in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebeondi Asi

Gaslighting is what the excuse is. But i agree Inno can make the change, just instead of being upright and forthright with it . Saying (point blank) "We gave this extra Castle bonus (35% additional attack boost) at level 13+) and realized it was a bad idea so we, sadly, are killing it." the end.
Noooo . Instead they snuck it off the Castle list without a word, then weeks later killed it in Players Town hall, again without a word of explanation .. then tried to make it out to be something it was not. And gaslighting the whole time since. which is really slimy
But hey I forgive Inno because I love to play this game.
And the few people who made this terrible series of mistakes should not be fired, just given a broom and a toilet brush to work with, instead of deciding Game balance issues. (a joke son, a joke.. )

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

And I ask, "What kind of idiot spends Diamonds or real money for only a 30% attack boost?" Because the players that spend Diamonds/real money for such things probably already have attack boosts north of 1000%. And you think they paid Diamonds/real money just for that extra 30%? Balderdash! The players that paid Diamonds or real money were doing it to get level 15 early. And they got it. And they still get, what, 99% of the benefits, right? So they're in a snit over 1%. First world problem, which generally isn't really a problem at all.

Kranyar the Mysterious

And I ask, "What kind of idiot spends Diamonds or real money for only a 30% attack boost?" Because the players that spend Diamonds/real money for such things probably already have attack boosts north of 1000%. And you think they paid Diamonds/real money just for that extra 30%? Balderdash! The players that paid Diamonds or real money were doing it to get level 15 early. And they got it. And they still get, what, 99% of the benefits, right? So they're in a snit over 1%. First world problem, which generally isn't really a problem at all.
A lot of players in the new world of Carthage did. 35% boost is a lot when you are in a new world. I've been listening to a ton of complaints in my guild where there are a lot of really big cash spenders.

Johnny B. Goode

A lot of players in the new world of Carthage did. 35% boost is a lot when you are in a new world. I've been listening to a ton of complaints in my guild where there are a lot of really big cash spenders.
Yeah, but they still have the 45% Attack and Defense boost, right? And I still stand by my point that it was the overall benefits of getting level 15 earlier that they were spending the money on, not merely that specific boost. (Which I'm pretty sure was 30%, not 35%.) I'd understand them being mad if the whole level was taken away, but the 30% extra Attack (only) boost is still a minor benefit, even on a new world. I start new cities fairly regularly, and I would never spend Diamonds or real money merely for an extra 30% Attack boost.

BruteForceAttack

The one's that make this game F2P :)

RazorbackPirate

I've been listening to a ton of complaints in my guild where there are a lot of really big cash spenders.
Who would have spent anyway. Sure, folks liked the bonus when they got there, but no one bought diamonds specifically for the Castle Points. If anything, all they did was shift already planned purchases forward in time. Buy diamonds, get Castle Points free. That's how it was sold, that's what folks bought, that's what folks got. No Castle Points were taken away and the diamonds still spent.

Bellyaching for effect, hoping for an underserved freebie in the wake.

Pericles the Lion

Who would have spent anyway. Sure, folks liked the bonus when they got there, but no one bought diamonds specifically for the Castle Points. If anything, all they did was shift already planned purchases forward in time. Buy diamonds, get Castle Points free. That's how it was sold, that's what folks bought, that's what folks got. No Castle Points were taken away and the diamonds still spent.

Just your opinion. Nobody has any way of knowing this for sure.

Sharmon the Impaler

Really , you must live in a happy little bubble where you only matter. It's 1600$ USD to max it out and if some people wanted to spend to get the Castle leveled out (I looked , a lot did) then they can belly ache all they want. It was not a freebie for them and they got ripped off of an attack bonus advertised by almost 50%. Games have been using in game currency for ages to skirt around the consumer laws of their countries. They list 12,000 whatevers and that is all they have to deliver. Whether they reduce it's in game value by whatever they feel like is up to them but it still doesn't make it right. Diamonds are used to speed the game up and they sped it up with 1600$ and then Inno took away half the attack value.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

Really , you must live in a happy little bubble where you only matter.
No, just the bubble of the real world. The real world bubble where those $1,600 were going to get spent on Diamonds no matter what. The real world where $1,600 worth of Diamonds were delivered, along with the free Castle Point bonus.

I live in the bubble of the real world where Inno didn't realize their mistake until players hit the levels where the effects of the mistake became apparent.
It's 1600$ USD to max it out and if some people wanted to spend to get the Castle leveled out (I looked , a lot did) then they can belly ache all they want.
$1600 that would have been spent regardless of the Castle Points. That regular spenders have level 15 Castles is a consequence of their regular spending, not a consequence of them spending for Castle Points. Looking for Level 15 Castles merely identifies those who regularly spend, nothing more. It's a leap of logic to link any of those Castles to spending because of the Castle Points or the Attack boost. It was and still is, buy Diamonds get Castle Points, there is no offer to buy Castle Points and get Diamonds.
Just your opinion. Nobody has any way of knowing this for sure.
It is my opinion and Inno knows for sure. I'm so sure of my opinion that if I knew it could be settled by access to Inno's numbers, I'd be willing to bet you a Level 15 castle. Unless they were a new player, every person who bought Diamonds after the Castle was introduced had previously bought Diamonds. I would bet you that Inno can show no instance of a long term F2P player who suddenly spent $1,600 for an instant Level 15 Castle. Not a single one.

How can I be so confident? I live in the happy little bubble of the real world, not the imaginary one where F2P players suddenly part with $1600 US for the Castle or any of the bonuses contained within.

Johnny B. Goode

This is ridiculous. Tempest in a teapot. Some of you are making it sound like these players spent all that money just for the extra 30% Attack boost. NOBODY did that. NOBODY. They spent money, they got a level 15 Castle earlier than they would have without spending. Period. They still get 45% Attack and Defense boost for both attacking and defending armies. Along with every other benefit of a level 15 Castle. And it wasn't 35% boost, it was 30%. And that isn't 50% of the boost that level provided, it was 40%*...and just of the Attack of attacking armies. So overall they lost 25%* of the total boost for attacking armies, and less than 15%* of the total boosts for all armies from that level.

*30% extra boost lost, 45% extra boost for Attack and Defense for both attacking and defending armies remains.
Attack boost for attacking armies lost: Total boost=75%. 30/75=40%
Total boost for attacking armies lost: Total boost=120%. 30/120=25%
Total boost for all armies lost: Total boost=210%. 30/210=14.3%

Agent327

Yes, it was a stinky change that was done way after a lot of people spent a ton of real money to get the bonus and just barely long enough after the period where players can't demand their money back anymore).

Right of revocation is 14 days.

It was not a freebie for them and they got ripped off of an attack bonus advertised by almost 50%.

Where was it advertised? All I have seen is that you can get castle points through in-game purchases. Nowhere did I see mentioned how many castle points you would get that way, or that by reaching level 13 you would get an extra attack bonus.

Johnny B. Goode

Oh, I forgot. They still have the Diamonds to spend on other things! In other words, as @RazorbackPirate points out, they got the level 15 Castle as a result of buying Diamonds, not spending them. So they didn't actually spend Diamonds for it. So they still have the Diamonds. Which makes their argument even weaker.