• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

CE Missile Artillery

Jern2017

I got 2x Missile Artillery from a story quest. They seem terrible, as they get removed from the battlefield after their first attack.

Is there any specific scenarios where they are useful, or are they generally considered as useless units?

DeletedUser29726

Yes. To both parts of your question ;)

Most people do consider them useless. They don't auto well. They're pretty miserable on defense.

There are specific scenarios though where they're pretty good. Specifically they're a nice counter to assault tanks which take 3 hits to die. You move them as far forward as you can and fire at one assault tank hitting 1-3 others. On average you would wipe out 8 assault tanks with 8 missile artillery, but that has problems including atrocious luck (and possibly a bug I don't know if they fixed where when you fire your last missile artillery for the win it crashes the game).

However there's another unit that's decent against assault tanks as well that has a different problem - the strike team. The strike team is great as long as you can hide in a forest, but has bad stats so without a forest it tends to lose against the unit it has boost against. It can be hard to find 8 forests in a map.

Now you put the two units together say as 6 artillery + 2 strike teams. Your strike teams land and get to move first. They need to get to a forest out of range of the assault tanks immediately. If they can't, surrender and try again (only continent map will the terrain stay the same between attempts) - as long as the artillery haven't fired yet you won't lose them. If they can great, you're on. next move each artillery as far forward as it can go and fire. You should wipe out most of the opposing tanks. Now staying to your forests preferably focus on finishing off the wounded tanks first and creating a situation where you can finish off the remaining tanks with your strike teams. Unless your luck is atrocious this works 90%+ of the time.

DeletedUser

I use Missile Artillery extensively in the first half of GE in my CE cities, only leaving them out when there are Attack Helicopters in the enemy's army. If there are no IFVs in the opposing army I will generally use 8 Missile Artillery, sometimes putting one AAV in there. If there are IFVs, I put in one Rogue for each IFV. I still occasionally take some minor damage, but always win. It does require manual fighting, though, as the AI will only move them forward enough to hit their main target, so there may not be any other enemy units in range to get hit with the extra shots, thereby wasting them and resulting in much more damage and usually a loss. You also generally don't want to use them against troops that have Rapid Deployment, although I sometimes do the Rogue matching with them like I do with IFVs. And you have to be a little careful with units that hide in forests, as they won't take damage from the extra shots. All in all, it would be maybe more efficient to use other units, but I like to use them for entertainment purposes. I don't find it much fun to just hit auto battle.