Change the GVG Support Pool Icon and Recruitment Boost Icon

Discussion in 'Proposals' started by BettyREDRUM, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BettyREDRUM

BettyREDRUM New Member

On the contrary, why would an icon I've come to know and love and strive to attain have a completely different meaning?

10% intended defense fart in the wind as in I thought I acquired it, but turns out it was 0. Perhaps not the best choice of phrases. Sounded good at the time.
    Your description is also incorrect. Should read "It is the symbol for defending army defense boost, -OR- GvG defense boost. depending on the fine print" The 2 are mutually exclusive. Trust me, I'd be cool with "and". Proposing 2 separate icons for 2 separate boosts is not unreasonable.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. Algona

Algona Well-Known Member

That's fine. Pointless to you now. It's a shortsighted opinion but that's your problem not mine.

My problem is that a lot of naive new players take anything written in this forum as gospel and you made the demonstrably erroneous and harmful statement that OBS is useless to a Guild that doesn't do GvG three times without any corrections or retractions.

Note that you can edit ot delete a post by pushing the Edit or Delete button on the bottom left of the post.

Not. Come back in a year. Your Guild may grow in numbers, but unless your leadership changes (vive la revolution!) your Guild won't change because a Guild is a reflection of it's leadership. If the Guild Leadership has no ambition now, they won't have ambition a year from now. Time for an Algona Sooth Sayer prediction, if your Guild still exists it may have a lot more members but it won't be over level 12 in a year.

Yeah, I am that arrogant. We'll see in a year if I'm right.

Sigh. Another one of those. You belittle a serious social problem by applying it to a viable game strategy expressly within the rules and actively encouraged by INNO. If you truly believe this game encourages bullying you should quit playing because playing this game is an endorsement of this game and although you may never spend a penny on this game you still are supporting it.

If you are having problems getting plundered, go to the 'Help I'm being pluundered' thread in the Questions forum and ask this question,

"How can i mitigate being plundered?"

Just that. No loaded terms, no whining, just ask. I guarantee you you will get at least one satisfactory answer. But if you whine even a little you'll get torn up. Although to beat the dead horse that is your Guild, a good Guild would have already taught you how to mitigate plundering.

This goes for any question, issue, problem you have with this game. Ask nicely in the questions forum how to resolve your problem and you will get useful answers. Rant, whine, snivel, insult, complain and you will get grief. It's up to you, you have been warned.

That seems up to debate. Note well, I haven;t voted, nor am I planning to until I see some more debate on topic.

Speaking of keeping this thread on topic, my recommendation is that if you want your Proposal to have a chance of getting enough support you quit replying to anything that doesn't have to do directly with your Proposal (including all this post) and you quit making statements that do not have to do directly with your Proposal.

3. BettyREDRUM

BettyREDRUM New Member

You totally just SJW'ed me. Yes bully, I said it. I feel that any further explanation would compel you to claim that I'm whining....

Other than having a deep seeded hatred for the Observatory and getting shamed by high end players for not being in an uber-progressing guild, I think I've been relatively civil all things considered. You, however, seem a bit wound up.

Oops. It's my day off. The original proposal still holds water despite the derailed discussion about the benefits of the Observatory (or lack there of for low level guilds). You should definitely +1 it!

4. Algona

Algona Well-Known Member

Both are self inflicted.

You misused the term. I pointed out the different fallacies inherent in the misuse. It was your choice on whether to retract the misuse or lay claim to the fallacy that you want..

You described your Guild's as just trading Goods. I made a prediction based on your description and later pointed out where your Guild failed you regarding mitigating plundering. Any shame you feel about that comes from inside you and since I can't tell you why you attach shame to my prediction or your description of your Guild or that they failed you once, you;ll have to figure out why you're ashamed of your Guild.

Almost without a doubt. Except when you introduced bully as a pejorative to insult a player who was playing a fighting game within the explicit rules of the game and as designed and encouraged by INNO.

Is that civil?

Note that after you started down that exceedingly well traveled road that inevitably ends one way, that was when I first brought such terms as rant, whine, snivel, insult, complain to the conversation.

Graviton likes this.
  5. RazorbackPirate

RazorbackPirate Well-Known Member

This is the real problem as belied by this statement.
    Haste is indeed the issue.
    LMA w/ only 3 level 1 GBs, ToB, LoA, and 'the useless' Obs. The real issue is clear to me.
    I suspect you like your guild just the way it is. Not only don't you want your guild to change, you don't want to change your guild, you don't even want to change guilds.

Stephen Longshanks likes this.
  6. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

No, what you have is embarrassment at having made a rookie mistake, compounded by the fact that you've now advertised that mistake on the Forum.
    Again, this isn't what's been going on. If you're happy in a stagnated guild, then more power to you. Playing the game is about finding the style that brings you enjoyment. And "uber-progressing" guilds are not much fun, from what I've experienced. I like to be in a guild that is moderately progressing, and has a good atmosphere with little to no drama. And the last part of that is more important to me than the first part.

There are two reasons that I'm opposed to the developers wasting time on this proposal. First, players should never make game decisions based on solely looking at an icon unless they're absolutely sure that they understand what that icon means. Not taking the time to do that is a player problem, not a game issue. Second, the only real solution would be to have writing on each icon explaining exactly what it means, because there are so many icons in this game that occasionally even a seasoned player may have to look one up to refresh their memory on what exactly it means. And then you'd have players complaining that they can't read the writing because it would have to be fairly small, and if they made them bigger other players complaining because it clutters up the screen, etc. Much simpler and easier for everyone to just give the "slow down, take your time, investigate" piece of advice.

Incidentally, since you "hate" the Obs so much, why don't you just delete it? If your guild doesn't do GE or GvG, then you are wasting 9 squares of your city for nothing. Seems the obvious solution. And since you're the first player in the four years I've been playing and reading the Forum to say that they built it for city defense, I don't see the icon as a real problem for the vast majority of players. Should the game be changed for less than 1% (guesstimating) of players who make rush decisions when they don't have to? I say no.

7. BruteForceAttack

BruteForceAttack Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me, if two icons/images means two different things, it's just lazy programming :)

it's simple enough change as well.

USDAprimeRib and BettyREDRUM like this.
  8. BettyREDRUM

BettyREDRUM New Member

I've already stated that I fully take the blame for not reading the fine print. Embarrassment? No, more of an annoyance. Advertising my mistake on the forum was and is intentional to bring awareness. (Little did I know that expressing my disdain for the OBS would offend the OBS Fan Club so deeply)
    100% agree. No question there. And up until this point in my gameplay, that boost icon meant one thing and one thing only. I was absolutely sure....and I was also dead wrong. Again, my fault. Would a different icon have made a difference? Absolutely.
    Myself and 2 others in this thread have admitted to this mistake. That's 27% of the thread participants thus far. I wasn't the first, and I won't be the last.

USDAprimeRib likes this.
  9. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

You want to change game icons to make things clearer to you when you haven't even figured out common game abbreviations, nor what one of the main features of the game (GE) is about? And you mistakenly think that the Obs is only for "high end" guilds. And you apparently didn't know that Treasury goods pay for opening GE levels as well as GvG costs. If you want to stay in a stagnated guild that doesn't teach you anything, or actually do anything for you, and you're satisfied just meandering through the game without a clue, that's fine. But it's ridiculous to want to play like that and then ask that the game be changed to protect you from any mistakes you might make. I propose that you learn the game. Now that would take care of any silly mistakes like this.

10. BettyREDRUM

BettyREDRUM New Member

Blah blah. You know I'm right about the duplicate icons. Its an easy fix.

USDAprimeRib likes this.
  11. Agent327

Agent327 Well-Known Member

So is paying attention to what you are doing.

12. USDAprimeRib

USDAprimeRib New Member

+1

There's no need to punish newer, or even hasty-playing players by leaving the possibility of misinterpreting a simple icon. Particularly in a game that people can play casually. We want to accommodate newer players so they keep playing and the game's popularity will grow, not make them pay for a readily fixable misinterpretation.

I've had to fix a few GUI's at work for similar reasons; to make things more evident at a quick glance, or to prompt players to read the tool-tip. There are web & video games out there with hundreds of unique icons. No problem for Inno. If nothing else, this thread can make them aware that there are cases of players getting mixed-up with similar/reused icons.

BettyREDRUM likes this.