• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Changelog 1.62 - Feedback

DeletedUser10517

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they don't have the right to express, and even argue for, their opinion. I'm certain that no one is going to get confused here about who is in the minority and who is in the majority. That doesn't mean minority views aren't worth expressing.

If you read all my post you will see that my comment needs to be taken in Context and was in response to that poster calling people names, ridiculing and belittling those of us who have expressed negative opinions about the message system.

Stating an opinion is fine........
Stating an opinion and then adding that everyone else is "childish" and "Throwing tantrums" etc etc is the ONLY reason why I said "Why not leave those who are in the Majority to get on with it?"

DeletedUser10517

So I summarized the improvements of the new system, which sums up the majority of the system as a whole, and your response is that 'nothing else about it' is good? What else is there? The only leg one has to stand on right now is that the mailing list can't be updated without re-sending the message, which is another improvement coming down the pipeline. As for your other points:

1) Why would a GB Club thread need to be restarted often? Do your clubs have a high member turnover? Perhaps an evaluation of that needs to be done before claiming the messenger system is to blame.
2) Yes, but perhaps not as much as other guilds because we have resources on our guild forum and also use guild chat frequently for more real-time discussions. Perhaps those avenues could also be explored for your guild as a supplement to messaging?
3) I'm not quite sure what these 'guild issues' would be, other than we have GvG threads and the like to keep people informed about such things.
4) Why not? 1:1 messaging still works fine. Using the context of the new system, one can assume that even without a subject tag a 1:1 mail must be something important and worth reading. And if said thread is updated, it means there's something new to address.

All of the other 'arguments' most of the naysayers are using can be attributed to disliking any sort of change or addition to the game. People are even complaining already about the (finally) upcoming second Tomorrow Era GB for 'not being good enough'. Would you like more proof that people just like to complain for the sake of complaining?

Sure, people like complaining for complaining sake..........sometimes.

But this issue with the messaging system has resulted in far far many most posts and threads about anything else. And if its complained about on the forum, you can safely say its complained about 10 times more in the worlds.......a fraction of people use the forums.

You have replied now to just 4 points.....
1. You didnt actually answer any negatives about this issue, but came back with a "Why would a Club need to be restarted often?" That isnt the issue. The issue is that when they DO need restarting, it is a much more difficult and complicated job than it used to be.

Many people have listed the reasons why.........
You can no longer add a list of names to the recipient list, which is a much easier and quicker way of doing ANY thread. Now each name has to be put in one by one......or, you have to click 'All guild members' then take out those who you DONT want it to go to one by one.
In order to do that, you have to be able to see a list of names.......so now they all have to be either written down or transferred to a word document. (unless you have an exceptional memory and can remember the 30 names in the club) which means having another window open, or a pad of paper in front of you.
In the OLD system, a list of names could be added to the first post........and then every time it needs restarting, the list could be cut and paste from the old message into the new one.
It was quick and easy to do.

But that isnt the only negative about restarting threads.
You also have limited line breaks now. 20 in fact, which is far too few. That means, if you have a GB Club with more than 16 or 17 members in it, the message is cut in half. Looking at it isnt too bad, but DOING it makes the job harder. Because now you have to cut and paste the first part into the new message space, then go to the next part, and cut and paste that under the first part.....and so on, depending on how many parts there are.
Then, you rewrite any figures, and then you have to resend it......again by cutting and pasting one part, then the next, then the next.
If you do that everyday.......it is an absolute pain.
Not only that, but when youre trying to get scroll back to the first, its no longer a simple job of scrolling up. Now it only shows so many messages at once. So you have to click Show more messages..........and keep clicking that until you get back to post number one.
Not an issue all the time, but it is an issue that makes some jobs in my guild much much more complicated than they need to be.
The Old system allowed messages to be copied, pasted and resent easily, quickly and without any hassles.

Clubs are restarted for a number of reasons. People want in, people want out.....new members join, someone might leave. GBs get changed. It really doesnt matter WHY someone wants to restart a thread............the only issue Now is that WHEN they want to restart a thread it is NOW much much more complicated and time consuming than it was with the Old System.

We have at least 5 different clubs in my guild.........and thats a lot of messing about

The second issue is probably why you cant see many negatives with this new system.......and that is simply becuase you dont actually use it much as your guild is quiet in respect of messages.

Many guilds arent and they use the message system extensively.......and never use Guild Chat. We dont use guild chat much....only when there is any fighting......and my forum is only used as an information source.
Even so, if a member wants to contact me privately, they arent going to ask their question on guild chat or the forum.....so I have many messages to go through each morning......and many guild leaders do also.

Point 3.....Guild issues. Again, if you are in a relatively quiet guild, with very established members, little or no rules.....perhaps you dont have many messages to deal with. We are not all the same, and I have countless issues to deal with on a weekly basis.

4.....as many people have said.....you can no longer have Separate messages for separate subjects if the recipient is the same person.
You ask me "Why not?" I have no idea why the people at Inno have made it this way.

Lets say Im helping Fred with goods for his Traz and goods for his Cape. The way I like to do it is to keep those two issues separate.....so I would have one thread for the Traz trades and keeping track of the goods for it and another for the Cape.
Now, however, you cant do that.
If you try to start a new thread, the Existing communication with that member comes up......and so anything else you want to say has to be added to that thread.
There is no way to start a new, separate thread.
There are other examples where separate threads are ideal.......for instance, one of my leaders I like to keep in communication about Treasury.....and we have that Treasury thread to keep track of things........
But if I want to send her a message about something else, the existing thread pops up......and the Treasury stuff is then mixed up with other, non Treasury bits of conversation.......which makes that thread longer......and then makes the 'Load More Messages' come into play again.....making scrolling more time consuming.

People arent just complaining about the new look, or the new style.....which is generally what a lot of complaints about new things tend to concentrate on.......aesthetics are often complained about, but people do get used to changes in that respect.
So I would agree with you that people might complain for the sake of complaining.............

But not in this case because people are complaining that the simple way of doing things, like we had in the old system, are now much much more complicated and time consuming and there was NO reason to change these in the first place.

Czari

If the following have already been answered, I apologize. The three features of the new messaging system that I would still like to see improved are:

1. No notifications of who left the thread.
2. When I delete/leave a post/thread, regardless of what page it is on, I am taken back to the first page. As one who needs to keep certain threads for guild administrative purposes, this is quite tedious.
3. Please increase the font size of the messages to be at least as large as the font when typing a message.

Thank you

DeletedUser18824

Ever since the new update my chrome notebook cannot display the messaging center or the town hall or the market place. Has anyone else had this problem?

DeletedUser10415

4.....as many people have said.....you can no longer have Separate messages for separate subjects if the recipient is the same person.
You ask me "Why not?" I have no idea why the people at Inno have made it this way.
All else I agree with. I'll add to this particular point that I am very displeased with the inability to have subject lines for messaging individual to individual, which was possible with the previous system. I do forge point trades of a set amount over time with various other players. The way we kept those messages sorted was to have a subject line like this, "Glarg/Bob 50 FP Trade", or "Glarg/Sara113 100 FP Trade". That way, it was easy to see the various trade threads I've got going. I have two running now, from before the message system change, so they still have subject lines. Once they've reached their limit though, they'll be gone, and without subject lines for messaging between individuals, so will I.

P.S. Also, the inability to copy/paste a list of people to send a message is major problem with the new system. Case in point, there's a Halloween Event quest coming up which will require 3 plunders. Many in my neighborhood will be hard pressed to be able to complete this quest. As I am a benevolent dictator, I will be constructing a number of minor plunderables, reducing my normally impervious defense to a single spearman, and notifying my neighbors that on this one occasion, they'll get to plunder me. With the old system, I could add all of their names to a list, then copy/paste that into a single message. With this new system, the easiest way is going to be popping off 75 individual messages. Just stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2355

I kind of understand about the delete button... the system now doesn't use individual messages that you have your own copy of, they are now more like shared documents all recipients can see. So deleting that document wouldn't make sense, it would delete it for everyone.

But clearly what people want is a way to hide a conversation so they don't have to see it unless something new is posted. Honestly I don't really see that as important myself, I don't hear people clamoring for a way to hide facebook posts to keep their wall empty. But I also don't see why it would be hard to implement, and if it makes people happier, why not do it?

But you are wrong. Facebook does have a hide option. And this is not Facebook ! lol The message system is not a social site. It is a tool for players to communicate.

DeletedUser23995

King PPhead

We would like to hear what you have to say about Update 1.62. Please place your thoughts and comments here.

Thank you!
Your Forge of Empires Team

I can't get the market or message center to come up all the way. I see the close key at the bottom of where the market or message center are suppose to be. I cant trade my goods for the things I need