• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser36572

Taking advantage of the topic and sincerely asking ...

You don’t have to be Jeff Bezos, or have billions of dollars to make caring, compassionate, critical donations that can honestly make the difference between life and death for the recipient ... Please donate blood, and donate often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

Get your hot popcorn HERE! $3! ICE cold Miller Light! $5! Cotton HERE! $5!
HOT dogs! $3! Jumbo hot dogs, $3!

What? Someone has to capitalize on this? I'm just an enterprising free capitalist trying to make buck on this wild goose chase of an argument.

Carry on!
Too bad I've already got my own popcorn :p
popcorn.gif

Also can't be bothered reading the last few pages. So it's just popcorn with nothing to read

Lannister the Rich

And @lannister the rich , companies were offering health insurance coverage as a means of attracting quality employees long before 2008. You also mishcaracterized the situation: employers (50+ employees) have been required to provide health insurance since 2015. The ACA (2008) initially and primarily mandates that individuals purchase health insurance.
Many were offering it before, yes. I was only talking about when it became mandated.

This is patently false. I know several people in my field (IT) who don't have degrees; I'm one of them. I learned computer operations in the Army and worked and learned my way from a second-shift entry-level operator to a Senior Mainframe Systems Programmer earning very good money with very good benefits. Most employers value experience as much if not moreso than a degree.
Yes, I misspoke there as I mentioned later on that someone with a degree is more valuable with the exact same experience doing the exact same job. If you had a degree and all your experience, don’t you think you would be making more? You can be a welder for a car plant without a degree and that can be a “good” paying job with “good” benefits for what you are afforded. Experience matters, and getting a degree is experience. You can join the military, get a help desk job, and work your way up, I won’t disparage that. I’ve seen it work that way, too. But are you going to argue that you wouldn’t be able to move up and get an even better job without a degree or have started off in a different position making more money then and by contrast have much more money than you do now since you started higher?

I’ll also say that experience isn’t everything. Not speaking to what employees actually look for, but I work with countless “experienced” absolute morons who have lots of “experience” doing a particular thing and are trusted with higher end technical thinking jobs, but it doesn’t make them smarter. You work in IT, you know who I’m talking about. Those guys you help out that blame you for everything and think they can do your job better than you.

I won't argue that a college education isn't expensive, but I guarantee that you and I would disagree on the reasons. Suffice it to say that I have a lot of experience in the student loan industry and I can tell you that the stories you see on the news are the outliers, they aren't the typical borrower. The average college graduate owes around $37k at graduation, far from the horror stories we're expected to believe make up the majority of borrowers. You'll also notice they rarely tell you what the degree was for that these people spent $100k+ for. Clearly it wasn't a degree that they can parlay into a living, so I think the blame should be at least partly shouldered by the people who are taking out all these loans.
It depends on the circumstances. I consider myself a rather average person: I went to a state university with average priced tuition, I had a scholarship, I graduated in 4 years, yet somehow I have over $70k in debt. Many of my friends do too that went to different universities. Notice how they don’t give you the actual spread of information. How many borrowers pay out of pocket before getting a loan? How many had scholarships? What schools did they go to and what did the tuition cost (as well as boarding, books, class fees, etc)?

And the answer certainly isn't more government intervention. President Obama nationalized student loans in 2008, claiming that would bring down costs. But of course basic economics tells us that subsidies make things more expensive, and that's exactly what we've seen in the 11 years since then: college costs continue to rise perhaps worse than before. More government subsidies are obviously not the answer, and yet government is the only answer some people know, for any problem. Even those exacerbated by government to begin with.
I agree, the answer is not more subsidies. Without government intervention, universities realized that if the government was going to provide people more money, they could just raise tuition. But why can’t we follow Germany’s lead and offer free college?

Last edited:

Lannister the Rich

This topic has been seriously driven away from the original topic of charity lol.

Taking advantage of the topic and sincerely asking ...

You don’t have to be Jeff Bezos, or have billions of dollars to make caring, compassionate, critical donations that can honestly make the difference between life and death for the recipient ... Please donate blood, and donate often.
There wasn’t a question, but I’ll follow that up with some more information. O- recipients are the most in need of blood donations, and O+ is the most common blood type. Folks with either of these blood types should donate quite often, but any blood type is needed. I have B- which only accept B- and O-, and I donate blood every chance I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.