• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Chateau Frontenac for younger cities worth it?

DeletedUser38275

I’ve come to the conclusion that the more advanced players in every guild have no memory of what it’s like to be a younger city, and are all obsessed with certain GBs, giving the same tired advice - “Get an Arc, get a Traz. Build your Arc to level 80.” Thanks, Kevin, but how does that advice help me, someone who’s just come out of Iron Age and who gets 20 FP a day? For this reason I am unable to trust their advice to build CF next. After looking it up and seeing that CF, while an awesome building, really only makes sense if you’re getting recurring quests and have exhausted all daily and story quests. Is this something that most young cities can even take advantage of when many of us can’t even complete many of the story or daily quests with our limited resources and lack of fighting power? I think people who have been playing for literally years have lost all perspective on what it’s like to just start out and need to concentrate on goods and military power instead. Please correct me if I’m wrong. It’s why I’m asking here instead of on my guilds. Thank you
Coming a bit late to this discussion, and chiming in since I just built my CF.
I am yet unsure if I qualify as old or new player: I play for 450d only in one world, in progressive ra, and not following any guide... as I have many years (also of gaming) behind me. With a few helpful discussions about this game, and different progression paths, I have mostly moved my initial GB to at least some adequate (to me) level, while progressing the ones I want to favor. Just before building my CF, I achieved level 80 on my Arc also.

I am now working both on leveling the CF in guild/private swaps, as a few guildies are interested in getting one, while trying to level my CC and CdM to increase my ~225FP daily harvest. I have 2 RQ running, but I am not focussed on them much, and abort the quests I don’t want to bother with (1-day production in a building I do not have, like car). I am in middle PME story quests.

I also have a Traz L10, but get all my troops from GE, GBG, quests and Dojo, as my only army building is a Rogue den (and I have about 700 unattached rogues that way). One advice here: complete the story quests to earn higher age troops, and keep them alive. I use now my only PME troop (commando) with rogues when adequate. i never use autobattle, even tho I am on mobile, and this can be painful, but I reach typically 30 attritions in GBG.

With this background laid out, I have to mention that if a guild told me I was required something I do not believe in, i’d leave it.
i have had many discussions with a few high level players, from my world, and I take their advice with respect and try to follow, if also it fits my play style. I had been holding on working on my Arc For at least 6 months, wanting to focus more on the game (progress in ages, do events, manage my guild,..). i have to thank the players that guided me from the beginning and throughout: willbong, manwoody, shellsan, duck, andy; to mention only a few.

The best advice I got so far to me is that whichever playstyle you favor, know that different ages may show different interest. You may like farming in an age, as fighting can be difficult, but in a later age, it can be completely opposite. Yet, you won’t know if you won’t try; and won’t enjoy if you are not prepared. For example, goods prone players should have goods providing buildings (of their age, including GB), fighting players should have the equivalent buildings/GB and avoid autobattle (To learn the mechanics and fight farther in difficulty, as well as understand the AI).

At the end of the day, the game is yours. Decide on your own what your goals are, and what playstyle you can associate with those goals. Advices are always good, from other similar players, or more experienced, but you are the one playing and making choices.

i recently had a discussion with a high level player with regards to my next GB, as I can build an AO and HC. But, the advice I got, which I decided was worth following (vs building these very good GB, at my age/progress) is to level existing buildings to a better output, before adding more low level GB, so I am working on CC and CdM first. I will stay a bit more in progressive, before taking the jump to modern (and its different goods management).

Hope this helps. I play on Mount Kilmore.
the above is only my opinion, and tuned to my generally chilled and f2p playstyle.

DeletedUser

Yes thank you for your original insights
While not original, they are the answer to your question. Like anything in the game, the Chateau Frontenac is worthwhile if you use it properly, worthless if you don't.

As far as your "leader's" remarks, you should get out of that guild ASAP. Any guild that mindlessly tries to dictate what GBs they will or will not "support" should be vacated immediately. Such a guild is all about the members supporting the leader(s) instead of the other way around like it should be. Contrary to your assumptions, there are a lot of good guilds where the leaders actually try to assist and educate younger/newer players. The guild you are in is obviously not one of those, for two reasons. The first is that they are trying to dictate your game to you rather than support you in your game. The second is that the leader who told you the ToB is "junk" is an idiot. Any GB that gives unplunderable goods is not "junk", and any leader that would discourage younger/newer players from having one is...well...an idiot. Those goods will come in daily, and you can always find a use for them, even if it's just to fulfill a "Donate x number of goods to the guild Treasury" quest.

Jern2017

Very well said, @Stephen Longshanks.

Every GB is worthless if you don't utilize it. I personally never built the CF as I never do RQs and I can't justify the space and FP investment for the story quests I complete, especially because I'm a camper.

I also agree with your take on the guild issue. The leader(s) have every right to set rules on which GBs are to be supported and which not, while you have every right to leave that guild and find one that better suits you.

I've been a member of lots of highly ranked guilds with very advanced members and while those members offered advice on which GBs not to build (remember, friends don't let friends build the Colosseum), but I have yet to see a guild refusing to support a GB or even straight up telling the members to get rid of a certain GB.

DeletedUser30312

I would not recommend the CF and a first GB, Zeus, ToB, LoA, ToR, CoA , OB and CdM should still come first. You will probably not keep them all as forever GBs. So do not put to many fps into levelling any but the fighting ones(they are keepers) As is ToR. ToB for instance is good for initial population boost but there are far better GBs and event buildings to help with that as you grow, BUT CF is a forever GB, As it Traz and Arc. Aslo strict order of building is not a do or die thing. whichever one oth those you get the BPs first for, build it.

CF boosts random rewards from quests, Coin, supplies goods, diamonds and medals I think, but does not boost the number of troops.

I generally agree.

Your foundation GBs are the Zeus, LoA, CoA, St. Mark's, and CdM. Zeus, CoA, and CdM have the important attack boosts for fighting. In addition, CdM gives FP, which will help the new city grow. LoA and SMB boost supply and coin production respectively, and also produce goods. Those 5 GBs are probably the most important GBs for a new player to build. While you're working on the foundations, build up your city so you can handle the GE and the DCs. Both will offer rewards to build up your city, once you can handle them comfortably, you can move on. Don't rush your tech advancements.

Of the other lower age GBs, ToB is okay for more goods and it's relatively small, but it can be skipped. There's nothing wrong with having one in your city though, all my cities have one, and I don't feel the space is wasted. Hagia Sophia is decent for FP production, but don't try to force it into your city if you don't have room. It's big and you can live without it, but later in the game it can be a good source for FP. ToR should be built if you're doing any serious amount of GE. Obs is useful for helping your guild, but it doesn't directly benefit your city. Some guilds may require it or strongly encourage it. The Frauenkirche of Dresden makes goods and provides happiness, so it's useful too, but not essential.

Then the next set of GBs are the power GBs: Chat, Traz, Cape, Arc, and Inno. They're all good to have but you don't need to rush them early in the game. It's okay to work them in from EMA through CA. Chat boosts coins, supplies, goods, medal and diamonds won from any quests, not just recurring quests, and the diamond boost alone is worth it. Even then, the boost to goods still makes it worth building, because goods production gets more complicated later on, and the Chat will let you bypass some of that. Traz will generate units for you, Cape makes a lot of FP, Arc gives you bigger rewards on GBs which then makes it easier to boost your own GBs, and Inno makes population so you can skip the normal houses and save space.

Beyond them, there's a number of GBs that are good for various things, and some are optional depending on how you play. But you should go for the foundations first, then the power GBs, especially if you're still learning. Avoid the junk GBs: Colosseum, Notre Dame, Capitol, Space Needle, and Lotus Temple. They're never worth the space. Col and ND are usually built by novices who don't know they're bad, or they're in cities from long time players who built them when GBs were relatively new and hadn't become worthless from the meta changes. Capitol is a noob trap plain and simple, yes it boosts population, but the Inno is just the superior option in every way and event buildings now give so much population that you'll never need the Capitol. Space Needle and Lotus tend to be fairly rare since most people learn they suck before the build them, usually the only cities that have them are GB collectors.

All the remaining GBs generally have their uses, but they're optional and/or for advanced players.

Also, don't build a GB that you're just going to delete later. It's a waste of time and goods. It's better to ask for advice either from helpful players in the game, or better yet from players here who will actually give sound advice on whether something is worth building or not. The only exception is the Oracle of Delphi, since it's a weak GB that's intended as an introductory GB for new players and has no real costs to build in the first place.

As far as your "leader's" remarks, you should get out of that guild ASAP. Any guild that mindlessly tries to dictate what GBs they will or will not "support" should be vacated immediately. Such a guild is all about the members supporting the leader(s) instead of the other way around like it should be. Contrary to your assumptions, there are a lot of good guilds where the leaders actually try to assist and educate younger/newer players. The guild you are in is obviously not one of those, for two reasons. The first is that they are trying to dictate your game to you rather than support you in your game. The second is that the leader who told you the ToB is "junk" is an idiot. Any GB that gives unplunderable goods is not "junk", and any leader that would discourage younger/newer players from having one is...well...an idiot.

Yeah, sounds like a guild that uses lower members to boost the leaders. Drop that guild and go somewhere else. A good guild will give you solid advice and help you build your city rather than dictate terms. Unfortunately, some of the guilds in the game just take advantage of their players. And ToB is not junk. A player who concentrates on a lot of fighting can probably skip the ToB, but it's hardly useless, and it's a good GB for someone who's learning the game. They probably just don't want to "waste" their FP on it in the guild's swap threads or something, which goes back to the guild leaders being self-serving at your expense.

Last edited by a moderator:

ODragon

And ToB is not junk. A player who concentrates on a lot of fighting can probably skip the ToB, but it's hardly useless, and it's a good GB for someone who's learning the game. They probably just don't want to "waste" their FP on it in the guild's swap threads or something, which goes back to the guild leaders being self-serving at your expense.

I don't know... I'm starting to think it is junk and I have one >L10 so I cared about it. Most of the event buildings give the population I need and once you get to ME, you probably don't need the unrefined it gives. By ME, you want to be getting your population (IMHO) from Inno+event buildings. If you boost your ToB too far, it makes balancing happiness harder.

DeletedUser30312

The ToB doesn't really produce a lot of population, it impact is greatest in the lower ages. Even if you push it up to around 80, it's still only around 3000 population, and that's not that much in the later ages. ToB is most useful for the goods, and even then, later on the goods are less valuable since they're unrefined. So buildings like Chat, Dynamic Tower, and Star Gazer become more useful for goods. So ToB is okay, but it's really not worth pushing into really high levels.

ODragon

The ToB doesn't really produce a lot of population, it impact is greatest in the lower ages. Even if you push it up to around 80, it's still only around 3000 population, and that's not that much in the later ages. ToB is most useful for the goods, and even then, later on the goods are less valuable since they're unrefined. So buildings like Chat, Dynamic Tower, and Star Gazer become more useful for goods. So ToB is okay, but it's really not worth pushing into really high levels.

I feel like that's sort of my point. FPs are at a premium in the ages when you can build this building and they would be better spend on other buildings (IMHO). I know the math isn't perfect but I think a level 10 LoA or level 10 SoZ is a much better investment to early ages than the ToB is. Space-wise, putting the BA/IA goods buildings the same size and produce a bunch more. even at level 10. I agree, I don't look down on people who place it. (I save that for people with the Colly).

That said, I am trying to look at it as a player where I am now, how the game has progressed. Heck, I'm not sure I would even tell people to put up a DT anymore. Same reason, size vs what it gives just isn't worth it to me. I'm not going to destroy the one I have, but most likely, I won't go further unless else is in the L80 range and I won't really suggest it to people anymore. The only benefit is that it gives you more for something you are doing already. Its just the size + amount of supplies doesn't compare to what HC gives. I evaluate all the old buildings based on what the new ones provide.

Then the next set of GBs are the power GBs: Chat, Traz, Cape, Arc, and Inno
Inno Tower is not one you should not focus on early on. with all of the event buildings having population now, the inno just takes up a lot of space and requires a lot of happiness to keep your city enthusiastic

I don't know... I'm starting to think it is junk and I have one >L10 so I cared about it. Most of the event buildings give the population I need and once you get to ME, you probably don't need the unrefined it gives. By ME, you want to be getting your population (IMHO) from Inno+event buildings. If you boost your ToB too far, it makes balancing happiness harder.
Yeah, I do love the 5 contestants estates I got from the Forgebowl event, was hoping to get more, but I guess I was really bad at the St. Patricks Day Event because I got zero good prizes from that event except for Celtic forest selection kit, which gave a decent amount of population so I was able to get a few more goods buildings

Isn’t it possible for a building to be extremely useful due to its size, how easy it is to get, and what it offers at the time for a persons needs, then be perceived of as “junk” by that same person due to the changing needs of your city as you advance and have access to other GBs that offer more?

DeletedUser32973

So I just skimmed a bit here...so my apologies if some of this is redundant.

Earlier in the thread you were complaining about non abortable side quests. Those were bonus quest lines, which you have to be careful about activating if you’re a camper or progressing ahead of your age in the campaign map.

Anyway, when I first started out my aim was to do the heavy questing strategy. I only made the standard 20 fp a day aswell. However through hood sniping I was able to relatively quickly get an arc and cf in IA (2-3 weeks I think it took). I actually don’t think this is the best route anymore since event buildings have gotten pretty obscene. But regardless I camped in HMA and Colonial for a long time building my city, getting my arc up, and doing heavy questing. Super boring, but it was effective. For this strategy getting that CF was pivotal as a younger city.

For my more recent starter cities I’ve been focused more on just getting events done and advancing. Now, rather than the CF, I just work on keeping up with my military boost from the attack GBs while advancing through the ages. The power of event buildings now make age rushing more viable imo, as long as you make sure you can still complete events.

Strangely enough in my main city in SaM I don’t use the CF much anymore. It’s just too grindy, and you already get more than enough goods in the Mars colony. The fp rq rewards, which are the only useful thing I’m getting from rqs now, are a drop in the ocean.

So is a CF viable for a starter city? I’d say sure, maybe, but I’d suggest just aging up reasonably and completing events is a higher priority. When to stop and level an arc to 80 is debatable. Some people advocate you should have an fp income of at least 100 fp daily before doing it. Probably should be in an age you’re comfortable with as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreadfulCadillac

Yeah, I do love the 5 contestants estates I got from the Forgebowl event, was hoping to get more, but I guess I was really bad at the St. Patricks Day Event because I got zero good prizes from that event except for Celtic forest selection kit, which gave a decent amount of population so I was able to get a few more goods buildings

Isn’t it possible for a building to be extremely useful due to its size, how easy it is to get, and what it offers at the time for a persons needs, then be perceived of as “junk” by that same person due to the changing needs of your city as you advance and have access to other GBs that offer more?
Yes it is, as long as you dont lvlit to high before perceiving it as junk and getting rid of it

Agent327

Here we get to the heart of the matter. Where you love the 5 estates you have, they look like a total waste of space to me. The 3% attack bonus is nice if you needd the opulation medals and coins, but is way to less if you do not need those. In the same space you can put a Royal Marble gateway.

The value you give a building is determined on how you play and how far you are in the game.

If it comes to Frontenac, I would say it is usefull in every city. RQ's give diamonds once. Diamonds you can spend in events. It is win/win.

Absolutely. Some GB's however remain very valuable.

CDmark

Hmm, there are lots of good responses. Having no side quests to abort usually means you went to far on the map I believe. So, forget CF completely for now. The main problem I see, 20 FP a day. I think Zeus is your #1 GB for now. I haven't heard about how you do in GE, that is an added bonus. Really as of late, these event buildings will give you population (and happiness). This will free up real estate (no residences) for FPs. There are videos on how to do events, watch them, they are helpful. Getting fully leveled event buildings will help your city. Now, LoA will give goods and boost supplies. I like it. Settlements - pick one and do it, Vikings or Japan. You will get good buildings, Japan will help with goods, Vikings with Attack, both with FPs. Stop the map advancement. I dont know where you are at with it so it would be hard to tell you how to fix it. I have a young city, IA player. I do RQs all the time, no CF. I have no goods buildings either. Here is something you can do. Find out who is selling goods. Buy some Colonial (for example, could be higher age). Then trade them down to your age. You will now establish a good base of goods in your Age. And, I would imagine your guildmates will help with the trading down. So, I still need to know what age you are currently and how well you do in GE. Forget Arc and Traz. CoA, CdM, ToR (depends on your GE position) would be best, next. Once you feel you have a good foundation, then you can decide what to do next. Oh Babel, I don't think it is needed.

-Sebastian-

To add another set of 2 cents... Yeah, if you can't do RQ right now (if your quests are stuck on Story Quests and Bonus Quests), then CF isn't going to be useful enough to build. But once you get your quests unstuck, the CF can be worthwhile, even at a low age, even without a level 80 Arc. The question is, do you have the patience/discipline/spare-time/lack-of-life to do lots of RQ? :) If yes, build it, if no, don't (at least not yet). It depends on how you want to play the game.

The path I took in both my cities involves lots of sniping, both my hood and my friends who don't mind. So I could do lots and lots of the "spend FP" RQs, and built up lots of FP, which in turn helped build my Arc. In my first (main) city, I built the CF while working on my Arc, and the goods I got from the RQs (and the medals from GB contributions) let me negotiate all 64 GE encounters immediately, if my guild needed a quick finish. (In retrospect, I think I should have focused a bit more on attack boost, but the percentages don't help much when multiplied to the low base values of Iron Age troops.) Nowadays, I don't do nearly as many RQs, but it's comforting to know that if I ever worry about goods, I can just spend a bit of time and *make* them. And that's why I still love my CF. In my second city, I mostly farm for diamonds, but I'm also working on my Arc (level 72 so far). I don't plan on making a CF there, because I don't want to spend as much time on that city, and the CF is basically a way to convert time to goods by means of RQs. (Sometimes I wish English had the Latin ablative...)

In terms of advice for where you are, I'd say: Overall the main things to focus on in your city are FP/day/tile and attack-boost/tile. In the beginning, FP/day is more important, but eventually attack boost grows in importance. If you only make 20 FP/day, you need to focus on that. (In my 2nd city, 8ish months old, still in Iron Age, where I don't spend much time, I'm making more than 100 in my daily collection.) In events, look for the most efficient special buildings. (Definitely not Contestants Estates - did you ask anyone about that first?) Try doing the Cultural Settlements - the buildings you get are really nice. When your daily quest choice comes up, go for the rewards that give more FP/day or more FP. If you have the Antique dealer open, be strategic there, too. Your guild should hopefully be able to give good advice here, and also advice on how to get your quests unstuck. But it sounds like they might not be sophisticated enough, based on that comment about the ToB. If you ask questions, and at least some of the answers don't boil down to "it depends on a lot of stuff, but in your particular case I'd recommend ____", then maybe you should find another guild. Guilds are like romantic relationships - they can be abusive, and one trick used to keep someone in an abusive relationship is to give them gifts and make them feel like they owe something back. Don't let that happen to you. :-/

-Sebastian-

To address the other part of your questions more directly, the obvious and unhelpful answer is that sometimes more experienced players do forget what it's like to start fresh, and sometimes they don't. People also differ in how much time they put into responses, based on all sorts of stuff like whether they have a keyboard to type, whether they need to change the laundry in 5 minutes, and yes, what they think of you and how you asked the question. And yes, if you're boiling down advice for what to do in the first year of a city, "Arc to 80, Traz to 80, CF to 80" is really quite good advice for how little space it takes up, and I'd absolutely say that "Arc to 80" should be your first big long-term goal. But it sounds like you're looking for advice on what to do right now, with your city the way it is right now, and the limited resources you have right now. And it sounds like you didn't get any answers which would help with that.

So to veer off again into advice, I'd stay that you should step back, take a deep calming breath, and look again at what you asked your guild. Was it clear that you were asking for advice on how to grow your city right now, and whether the CF would be useful right now? Did you respond a few times, asking for clarification? Did you get anything beyond generic high-level advice? Did anyone actually stop and look at your city for a few minutes, and try to deal with you and your situation, treating you as an individual player and not a random person from the internet? If you can't think of ways you could significantly improve your asking of questions, and if you keep getting unhelpful answers, then you should look for another guild (DTMFA).

DeletedUser30312

I feel like that's sort of my point. FPs are at a premium in the ages when you can build this building and they would be better spend on other buildings (IMHO). I know the math isn't perfect but I think a level 10 LoA or level 10 SoZ is a much better investment to early ages than the ToB is. Space-wise, putting the BA/IA goods buildings the same size and produce a bunch more. even at level 10. I agree, I don't look down on people who place it. (I save that for people with the Colly).

That said, I am trying to look at it as a player where I am now, how the game has progressed. Heck, I'm not sure I would even tell people to put up a DT anymore. Same reason, size vs what it gives just isn't worth it to me. I'm not going to destroy the one I have, but most likely, I won't go further unless else is in the L80 range and I won't really suggest it to people anymore. The only benefit is that it gives you more for something you are doing already. Its just the size + amount of supplies doesn't compare to what HC gives. I evaluate all the old buildings based on what the new ones provide.

Well, I didn't list ToB as an essential starter GB, just said that it has its uses. LoA and SoZ though were included in the foundation GBs however.

DT isn't too bad for what it does, but it's a luxury building. Not bad if you can aid a bunch of players with very advanced cities and get high age goods for trading, but one can live without it.

Inno Tower is not one you should not focus on early on. with all of the event buildings having population now, the inno just takes up a lot of space and requires a lot of happiness to keep your city enthusiastic

I agree. I think IA campers who plunk an Inno are just wasting space. The earliest a new player should go for the Inno is about CA. Up through CA, normal houses are a simple 2x2. After CA they start getting bigger and take up more and more space, and then some use 2x2 roads. That's when the smart player looks for more population efficient buildings that can get buy with 1x1 roads. The event buildings make a lot of population too, so the Inno might not be as essential as it was, but it's still a good choice to eliminate the need for normal residentials. My city on Parkog is CA and has plenty of population from special buildings, so it has little need of the Inno, but some cities might need it.

With special event buildings, yes. There's a number of them that have become obsolete from a changing game meta. GBs have also taken some hits too, but a lot of the essential ones tend to stay essential. Atomium used to be considered an important GB especially for GvG guilds, but Arc powerleveling and no use for guilds goods in AA GvG made it less important. GBG buildings might increase its value a little again. And there's the arguments about the Hagia.

Here we get to the heart of the matter. Where you love the 5 estates you have, they look like a total waste of space to me. The 3% attack bonus is nice if you needd the opulation medals and coins, but is way to less if you do not need those. In the same space you can put a Royal Marble gateway.

The value you give a building is determined on how you play and how far you are in the game.

If it comes to Frontenac, I would say it is usefull in every city. RQ's give diamonds once. Diamonds you can spend in events. It is win/win.

Well, consider where she's at. She's a relatively new player in EMA, right?

The Contestant's Estate gives a +3% attack bonus in a 3x2 space, which comes out at a +1% every 2 squares. Its weakness is that it's a relatively low flat bonus and it gets outdated in later ages by buildings with more powerful bonuses. You're right that the Royal Marble Gateway is generally better overall, but that's the case as one progresses through the game. Where she's at, a RMG produces a +2% bonus in the same amount of space, so it's only a +1% every 3 squares, so the Estate is a slightly stronger attack boost to her city now. The next three ages, the RMG will be equal to the Estate, and it finally starts to pull ahead in Indy, so she shouldn't get too attached to the Estates. Also keep in mind that she needs to get the RMG through the AD and thus needs to build up trade coins to bid for one (and gems if she buys direct), and as a new player she probably hasn't built up the piles of junk to trade in yet. And a RMG will probably want a Reno every three ages to keep the attack bonus up, so she'll need to build up a supply of those (but I find Renos to be pretty easy to come by). So right now the Estates are probably helping her, but they're something to be phased out long term. Right now, RMGs are an ideal replacement, but eventually something better might come along too.

Mustapha00

If the question is, specifically, Is CF good in a starter city?, then I'd have to answer No, at least not as a priority- unless, of course, you plan to pursue the Heavy Questing style of gameplay from near-day one. However, I do advocate for building one not to terribly far into your FoE experience because it does boost rewards from all Quests, be they Main Story (and thus cannot be aborted) or optional.

Now there's little question that CF is not >as< useful to someone who is first and foremost a Fighter as any of the military-boosting GBs, but I'd argue that it is potentially useful even then because you have to complete quests and you might as well boost your rewards from completing them.

Off the topic of Chateaus....

I would not build a Hagia now. Space is at a premium throughout the game, and the HS footprint is massive. Yes, it boosts Happiness and gives FP, but there are plenty of alternatives to both now, and each Event brings more.

I also deleted my Inno in one world, just as not all that long ago I deleted my Habitat in that same world. Having adequate population is no longer a problem, as almost every single one of Inno's Event rewards has given population. I found myself in Tomorrow with over 25k unemployed folks and out of space to build things for them to do. I was burning Self Aid kits to get myself to 120& Happiness. As I stated above regarding the Hagia, it is much easier now to obtain things that generate FPs, and so the Inno came down.

I would also not advocate building a St. Mark's any longer, as you will very quickly amass more coins that you can ever hope to need- although if you are pursuing the strategy of using coins to buy FPs, I can see the need for the SMB boost.