• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Choosing a great building

DeletedUser36600

Currently, I only have one great buildingbuildings, the Oracle of Delphi. I am not sure if I should stick to it and build it up to level 10 before any others, or progress through the iron age until I get a second great building.

Is the Oracle worth building?

Mustapha00

I can't offer an opinion on the Oracle, as I was well past the early game by the time this GB was introduced.

to your second question, yes, I would certainly look to build a second (and shortly thereafter, a third) GB. Which one will depend on your style of play.

If you wish to build up your production of Goods and Supplies, then the Lighthouse of Alexandria would be my next GB, as it does both. If you're going the aggressive neighbor route, then a Statue of Zeus (bonuses to attack and defense of your attacking army) would be my next GB.

Exceptions: if you are part of a good Guild, you might be able to make arrangements to trade for the Goods necessary to build an Arc, which gives you a bonus to Forge Points, Medal and Blueprints acquired through donating to other player's Great Buildings.

The same arrangement can perhaps be made to build a Temple Of Relics, which allows you to participate in the Guild Expedition, which can yield very good rewards.

In fact, a similar arrangement can be made for any GB in the game, but I would suspect those two (along with Alcatraz, which gives unattached military units) would be the most popular choices for such arrangements.

Jern2017

There are two GBs that I would recommend to anyone in the early stages of the game.

Lighthouse of Alexandria and Tower of Babel. The Lighthouse will help you with supplies (it also produces goods) and the Tower of Babel will free up some space that would otherwise be occupied by residential buildings.

If you're interested in the military aspect of the game, start your military GBs with the Statue of Zeus.

I'd advise you to steer clear of the Colosseum.

As for the Oracle of Delphi, I started my main world before it came out. I got it in my diamond farm world when I started it about two months ago, but deleted it as soon as I completed the quests. I suppose it can be helpful early in the game, but I wouldn't bother leveling it to 10.

Last edited:

ODragon

Depends on your long term plans. For its space, it is hard to beat its size to happiness ratio. My main world doesn't have one but my diamond does at level 11. It's how I make the majority of supplies in that world.

Snarko

It depends on how fast you intend to advance in tech. If you want to rapidly advance through the ages (as most people do) then the Oracle will quickly stop being worth it. The FP is better spent on tech then. If on the other hand you want to really experience each age before moving on, yes it can be worth leveling, as you will stay in the lower ages a long time.

Same with Tower of Babel. Very nice in the lower ages, less so if you want to advance quickly.

Lighthouse is just an all around good GB. It fits almost every playstyle (possibly except diamond farms) and it doesn't need to be levelled much to be benefitial.

I don't do the whole plunder your neighborhood thing, so I can't comment on Zeus from that aspect. If you are not actively plundering then I would recommend Lighthouse before Zeus. Perhaps other GBs too. If you don't like fighting at all then obviously don't build Zeus.

DeletedUser

If you want to rapidly advance through the ages (as most people do)
This is the single biggest mistake most players make before they learn the game. They rush up through the ages until they come up against one stone wall or another. Either they run into players that plunder them, or they end up struggling with tech or GE or other areas where a healthy supply of goods is needed, or they find that they can't win any fights due to not having sufficient attack boost, or they forget to keep their tech and C-Map progress in sync, or they wind up with a hodge-podge of buildings from various ages and don't have the coin/supply inventory to fix it. I'm probably leaving out other scenarios, but you get the idea.

RazorbackPirate

This is the single biggest mistake most players make before they learn the game. They rush up through the ages until they come up against one stone wall or another. Either they run into players that plunder them, or they end up struggling with tech or GE or other areas where a healthy supply of goods is needed, or they find that they can't win any fights due to not having sufficient attack boost, or they forget to keep their tech and C-Map progress in sync, or they wind up with a hodge-podge of buildings from various ages and don't have the coin/supply inventory to fix it. I'm probably leaving out other scenarios, but you get the idea.
IMO, building and leveling GBs is one of the most important things you can do to build a strong city. Early in the game, one of the biggest limitations is land. The early GBs allow you to free up land by providing or enhancing essential city resources. Happiness, Coins, Supplies, Goods, Medals, and FPs.

Hagia Sophia (HS) - Gives Happiness and FPs. Allows you to remove decorations and cultural buildings freeing up space for other things.
Lighthouse of Alexandria (LoA) - Multiplies Supplies collected, gives Goods.
St. Mark's Basilica (SMB) - Multiplies Coins collected, gives Goods.

I won't duplicate the many great guides here on the forum, you get the idea. Figure out which GBs will be essential to your preferred play style now and into the future, then set out to build them and level them sufficiently to be effective, early. There is nothing wrong in parking in an age for a while to build GBs and stock up on resources to prepare for the next age. If I recall, it was the tortoise who won the race, not the hare.

To answer your question about the Oracle of Delphi directly, I built it in both my cities as part of the tutorial. I never leveled it beyond 5 and I deleted it in HMA/LMA in each of my cities once regular production and cultural buildings produced more in 24 hours than the Oracle did. It's hard to justify feeding it more FPs when I get more from a Church or Alchemist.

Jern2017

You got to be joking. You do not use the ToB for population. If you use it, it is for the goods.

You can definitely use it in the early ages, for which the ToB was intended.

Of course, you can buy goods and build the Capitol or even the Habitat/Innovation Tower, but then you need a serious plan for space (as the other population GBs are substantially larger) and happiness if you want your population to stay enthusiastic.

DeletedUser37230

How do you remove a GB after its built? The Colleseum is such a space hog and I could really use something better for that space. A friend who is no longer playing, talked me into it and now I sorely wish I had not built it.

DeletedUser8428

How do you remove a GB after its built? The Colleseum is such a space hog and I could really use something better for that space. A friend who is no longer playing, talked me into it and now I sorely wish I had not built it.
Just like any other building. Go to the Build menu, use the $ button top center screen and "sell" it. NOTE - you will NOT get back any of the Forge Points you or anyone else put into it, you will not receive the goods back that you had to have to build it in the first place.

All the "Great" buildings are space hogs. But certainly most of them provide you with wonderful bonuses you can't get anywhere else ... but I'm with you on the Coliseum - waste of space for sure.

DeletedUser37230

Thank you! That option is not available on the mobile app which I use 99% of the time.

DeletedUser

On the mobile app the "sell" button is on the right side of the screen. Tap the Build button on lower left, then tap Sell ($) button on upper right, then tap Great Building you wish to delete. You will have a confirmation box you'll have to check in the pop-up window.

DeletedUser33036

Feel free to sell the oracle, do not level it to level 10. Good early game GB are lightgouse of alexandria, and saint marks (all players need goods, and these buildings are eapecially needed when you need unrefined gooda. Castle de Monte, statue of Zues, and Cathedral of Aachen are all needed for guild expedition, which is very rewarding. I do not recommend Tower of Babel as it is overshadowed by lighthouse of Alexandria.

DeletedUser36624

On mobile, the sell and move buttons are at the top of the screen until you research mathematics to get reconstruction mode. At that point, the buttons all move to the right side of the screen. Why, I don't know.

DeletedUser

Feel free to sell the oracle, do not level it to level 10. Good early game GB are lightgouse of alexandria, and saint marks (all players need goods, and these buildings are eapecially needed when you need unrefined gooda. Castle de Monte, statue of Zues, and Cathedral of Aachen are all needed for guild expedition, which is very rewarding. I do not recommend Tower of Babel as it is overshadowed by lighthouse of Alexandria.
I do recommend the Tower of Babel as it is a goods producing GB with a relatively small footprint. Goods GBs really pay off in the upper ages.

DeletedUser33036

I do recommend the Tower of Babel as it is a goods producing GB with a relatively small footprint. Goods GBs really pay off in the upper ages.
Well my contention is this, with LoA, RAH, and Saint Marks, all around levels 5-6, you can make enough unrefined goods to typically keep 3-4 goods buildings of your age running non stop. If you need more, you can also build TRFP latter on. LOA in pacticular is the same size as TOB, but produces more goods, and has a better bonus. In my opinion only the frauen kirche is a worse good producing building at 5x5 size.

DeletedUser

Well my contention is this, with LoA, RAH, and Saint Marks, all around levels 5-6, you can make enough unrefined goods to typically keep 3-4 goods buildings of your age running non stop. If you need more, you can also build TRFP latter on. LOA in pacticular is the same size as TOB, but produces more goods, and has a better bonus. In my opinion only the frauen kirche is a worse good producing building at 5x5 size.
Well, when you're in Contemporary Era (the best for camping in my opinion) I find it best to have every goods producing GB you can because they're producing Progressive Era goods which you can sell to lower era players desiring to build the Traz and/or Chateau, two of the most popular GBs in the game.