• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] City planner / simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser73

The simulator has a specific orientation, there are rotation buttons on the bottom of the screen to change that so it matches your view.

DeletedUser

I'm sure.. If that were the case all the buildings would have been incorrect except the 2x2 buildings such as houses. I had placed more than 40 buildings on the grid including 6 goods buildings, several supply buildings, military barracks, and cultural buildings, but those were the only ones that were wrong. I even went back and tried it again on a fresh page and got the same results.

DeletedUser

The only way the rotation could have been incorrect is if it started out that way.

DeletedUser2145

I've used the simulator, in fact used it just a week ago to plan spacing for new GBs, and everything worked just fine for me. There were no errors whatsoever, and I applied what I worked out in the simulator in my city, without any size issues. Not sure where things went wrong for you, but I had no troubles with it.

DeletedUser

What can I do to see/use the top 5 rows I am using chrome with a 1960 x 1080 monitor and have zoomed out to see the bottom of the grid but the top is still cut off

DeletedUser3332

This would be even better if you had the options to replace all of the roads with a different type. They have the same space requirements and it takes about 1,000,000 billion clicks to replace them all.

DeletedUser

Or at least the option to override an old road with a new road :)

P.S. I just want to take the time and say THANK YOU for the City Simulator - it has proven to be an invaluable resource and now I always use it to plan my city ahead whenever big changes are imminent.

DeletedUser73

I will implement an option to place roads like the way it works in-game, so you can place a path with two clicks, and I will also implement the option to build over existing buildings when they are the same size, which will include roads. So with both options enabled, you can replace large quantities of roads with just two clicks ;)

This'll take some time though, as the release of these options will coincide with a new design.

DeletedUser3332

Excellent :)

Thank you very much. I will second the previous comment that this resource is INVALUABLE to city design. The amount of resources that are saved through the ability to plan in advance is immeasurable.

DeletedUser

I know that this would be a pain....but it would be helpful if you could set the level of a GB such as the Tower of Babel to show it effect on population or happiness

Dave

DeletedUser73

That's already possible. Click on the settings button on the bottom of the screen. The next update I'll release will make it somewhat easier to set the levels.

DeletedUser73

Changed the building points to reflect the changes coming with update 0.31.

DeletedUser73

This is a new design I'm working on at the moment.
Forgestats_preview_2_zpsec36afe5.png

It is, as you can probably see, influenced by the in-game UI. I want to make it easy to use, and having the same general layout as the game probably helps.
The screenshot was taken with a resized browser window, I did not resize the actual screenshot. It might look like you don't have much room for the map, but you really do. The building menu is about 400x400 pixels.

In the upper left corner, you will see a button to change languages, and buttons to go to the buildings and units pages. There's also a help button, which will open a help screen which explains some features of the tool (much like this very post). Below that you can find the options button. This will open a screen where you can save and rotate your map, zoom in/out, do the road check, place a town hall, and probably some other options I'm forgetting at the moment. In the future, this will also include the options to enable you to place same sized buildings on top of each other, and a way of placing roads like the game itself does.
A town hall will, by the way, be placed on the map by default, it can not be sold but it can be moved and placed in the 'storage boxes' (more on that later).

In the lower left corner you will see the building menu, which includes tabs to toggle between building types. You can minimize it by clicking on the down arrow.
Great buildings and special buildings will have a drop down menu below them, so you can set the levels/ages.
Just above that are the buttons to delete and move buildings and to add/remove expansions.

In the upper right corner you will see 3 buttons, each opens a window with information when you click on it. The top one opens the information regarding population and happiness, the middle one will show the productivity, and the bottom one will show the building statistics.

Just below that is the temporary building storage, which can hold 4 buildings.

Also, imagine a map (same as the current one) somewhere on the screen, haven't added that yet.

If you have any suggestions, or if you think I forgot a feature, let me know.

DeletedUser3407

You have some quick keys set up, E for Add/ remove expansion for example. Will those still be active?

DeletedUser3407

Is there any chance you could also add a simple fair trade calculator to your site? The way I see it working is that you would select the good that you want and then input the amount that you need and the page would then display what goods you need to offer for a fair value trade. This would be very useful to new players and to guild leaders who could point players to your site.

DeletedUser2988

Nothing new to add, but I do feel the need to say a big THANK YOU to Slygoxx for creating such a useful tool. I've used this tool from iron age to Industrial, and has saved me a ton of headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.