• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] City planner / simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser73

Is there any chance you could also add a simple fair trade calculator to your site? The way I see it working is that you would select the good that you want and then input the amount that you need and the page would then display what goods you need to offer for a fair value trade. This would be very useful to new players and to guild leaders who could point players to your site.

It's a good suggestion, and I will most likely add it soon.

murrsumm

Each time I save, I am given a different link to get back to the map! Am I interpreting this correctly?

DeletedUser2145

Each time I save, I am given a different link to get back to the map! Am I interpreting this correctly?

Correct, it's different each time since it saves it as a new map. At least that happens for me too, so I'm assuming it's how the website is set up to work.

DeletedUser73

As ThePhantom pointed out, it is indeed supposed to work like that. Imagine if someone else would visit your link, change something, and overwrites your saved link. That would suck, so you're given a different link each time you save it.

DeletedUser

Is there a trophy in the planner, I haven't been abe to find one?

murrsumm

As ThePhantom pointed out, it is indeed supposed to work like that. Imagine if someone else would visit your link, change something, and overwrites your saved link. That would suck, so you're given a different link each time you save it.

Certainly true but I think unlikely. Surely the convenience of having a constant save reload would offset this risk, don't you think? The way it is now, if I save and then move to another computer, I may not be able to reload.

DeletedUser4074

Certainly true but I think unlikely. Surely the convenience of having a constant save reload would offset this risk, don't you think? The way it is now, if I save and then move to another computer, I may not be able to reload.

If you have an account on the site you can save the links to your cities and research trees in that.

DeletedUser73

Is there a trophy in the planner, I haven't been abe to find one?

Not yet. And it probably won't be until I release the new version, as it's a pain to add it in the current version.

A lot of saved maps are shared on forums and you'll be able to browse through them in an upcoming feature. This would mean that plenty of saved maps will be viewed by a lot of people, and it only takes 1 person to ruin it. Even if it's not done on purpose, one could replace a certain building to suit his/her needs better (i.e. replacing a trophy with another decoration, because the person does not have a trophy). I wouldn't want someone's hard work ruined by someone else, and until I can find a way to prevent that (password protection could be a possibility), it won't happen.

murrsumm

Not yet. And it probably won't be until I release the new version, as it's a pain to add it in the current version.

A lot of saved maps are shared on forums and you'll be able to browse through them in an upcoming feature. This would mean that plenty of saved maps will be viewed by a lot of people, and it only takes 1 person to ruin it. Even if it's not done on purpose, one could replace a certain building to suit his/her needs better (i.e. replacing a trophy with another decoration, because the person does not have a trophy). I wouldn't want someone's hard work ruined by someone else, and until I can find a way to prevent that (password protection could be a possibility), it won't happen.

As a web developer myself, I can certainly appreciate the difficulties with this. You have built a great tool. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

@shMike - I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Can you elaborate, please?

DeletedUser4074

@shMike - I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Can you elaborate, please?

There's a login in the top right; once you have logged in, you can go to a user area that lets you save links to your cities and research trees, so you can access them from wherever.

murrsumm

There's a login in the top right;

Boy - I'm not seeing that. I'm using Chrome on W7 and across the top I see Home | Signature Generator | City Builder | Info on the left, but nothing on the right. Sorry if I'm not understanding what you are telling me...

DeletedUser

Hi murrsumm,

What you need to do is click on "Signature Generator" on the top left, and then on the next page that comes up, there will be login and register buttons at the top right. Hope this helps.

murrsumm

Ahh - gotcha. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any way I can get the map I built before registering into my now defined user account?

DeletedUser5358

I have mapped out my city 4 different times now and it keeps disappearing. The save link works once and then not again. What is it that I am doing wrong?

DeletedUser3407

Slygoxx, How goes the new design? I have an idea/question for you. On your Buildings page when you mouse over the picture of a building an awesome pop-up displays the building information. On the City Builder page when you mouse over a building a larger picture of the building is displayed. Would it be possible for you to change the City Builder so that when you move your cursor over a building it displays the building information as on the Buildings page? This would be much more convenient as it would allow easy access to important information we need when designing our cities. Usually when utilizing the city builder I have both pages open and switch back and forth between them.

You are probably aware of this, but I have noticed that on the Buildings page, on the popups that display building information the supply picture is missing. Instead there is a "Forge Stats" logo.

-Edit-
You may be aware of this also but I'd like to add that in the stats box on the right of the screen the Great Building counter has a bug. If you add Deal Castle to your map and then remove it the counter does not subtract it from your total number of great buildings. If you then re-add Deal Castle the counter will add another Great Building to your total even though you only have 1. Here's a pic:
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser73

We've recently moved servers, and a couple of images went missing during that move. I'll add the missing images later today.\

The new design will include a new popup when you hover over a building in your city. I do not know when the new design will be ready though, as I haven't been able to work on it much, and won't be able to for the next 5/6 weeks.

As for the bug, I'll fix that together with the new design :)

DeletedUser4441

anyone else having problems sharing layouts with others? up until a few days ago layout URL's could be shared, but now it seems they wont work on different computers. I even tried on 4 diff computers here at my house. This is a recent issue. I liked doing layouts and saving them for others, trying to help the newer folks learn efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.