• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] City planner / simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Tagging this as a guide, if a mod thinks it shouldn't be, change it :p

Anyways, I have created a tool to help you plan your town. The tool is available online, so no downloading is needed. You can also save the map you create, and open it later to edit it again, or you can share it with others.
The tool can be found >>>here<<<

Please note the following:
- If an action is not possible, for whatever reason, that reason is shown under "Errors".
- When you place a building, the square you click on will become the upper left corner.
- You can also remove the town hall by using the general remove building option.
- A 4x5 building in-game (e.g the goat farm) will have a height of 4 and a width of 5 in this tool. The town hall has a height of 7 and a width of 6.
- The bright green or red indicate whether you can build or not. Green indicates that it is possible, red indicates that it is not. This doesn't work like I want to with the add / remove squares option, which should be fixed soon.
- The town points are not yet accurate, as not all points are known. Once all the points are known, the tool will become version 2.0.1 (unless something changes that makes me update the version).

If you encounter any bugs, please let me know. Either in this topic or through a PM.

I know the design sucks, and as I am not that awesome at web design myself I have asked someone else to do this for me. This should be done soon, I hope.

There is a changelog listed on the site, so when anything is updated, you can find the details there.

Have fun :) Feedback is highly appreciated.

NOTE: This doesn't seem to work on IE, it looks weird for me at least. That said, I do not provide active support for IE, but I will try to make it work.
I love the concept of this and have tried it out the only thing that I see wrong with it and this is a big issue to me and maybe others is that the layout doesn't match the layout of the game itself in which it is not in diamond pattern.
trying to workout which way the roads and stuff go from the practice city space and transferring them to the game kind of screws with you a bit.
I think it screwed with me so much that I ended up just drawing it out on a bit of paper which kind of defeats the purpose dont you think

DeletedUser13452

I love the concept of this and have tried it out the only thing that I see wrong with it and this is a big issue to me and maybe others is that the layout doesn't match the layout of the game itself in which it is not in diamond pattern.
trying to workout which way the roads and stuff go from the practice city space and transferring them to the game kind of screws with you a bit.
I think it screwed with me so much that I ended up just drawing it out on a bit of paper which kind of defeats the purpose dont you think
When you arrive at the site, the first thing you want to do is rotate the screen 1 time. This will put the city very nearly in the right perspective.

DeletedUser

got that have another issue now it wont let me register to save my map config

DeletedUser13452

There are many possible reasons for that. I couldn't tell you what's going on there for sure.

DeletedUser26616

link for this site states :
It's been a fun few years, but unfortunately we had to close down. We would like to thank everyone for their support and for using it, it really means a lot that so many people enjoyed using this. There are some alternatives you can use instead of our city planner, those will undoubtedly help you a lot in managing your city.

Thanks and good luck!
The Forgestats Team

DeletedUser28015

Running 2 or more Browsers on 1 system is not a bright idea since one can cause problem with the other and also you are just plain asking for a hacker to back door your system through at least one through your run time lib. ( Task files) since all are running at the same time in sequencal order. Also if 1 is Google your every move is being tracked and reported to them and Big Brother so beware!!

None of this is actually true. The misconceptions about how runtime libraries work are fascinating. Only the read-only portions (the code, and some static data) of libraries are shared. And "all running at the same time in sequential (sic) order" is a contradiction. Maybe you're thinking of round-robin scheduling, but that's not how it's done. And runtime libraries are not tasks or "task files".

DeletedUser28015

link for this site states :
It's been a fun few years, but unfortunately we had to close down. We would like to thank everyone for their support and for using it, it really means a lot that so many people enjoyed using this. There are some alternatives you can use instead of our city planner, those will undoubtedly help you a lot in managing your city.

Thanks and good luck!
The Forgestats Team

I only recently started playing so I never saw the original tool from The ForgeStats Team, but the foemanager tool at the alternative link they kindly provided seems to work ok. The 2D button (to the right of the + magnifier) is particularly useful for seeing where your roads are.

DeletedUser30949

Looks like the last post here was some time ago. All links are broken now! I have found another city simulator that works well but I don't know who made it. The like is from Russia and I have extensively ran this through antivirus and malware software and it checks out. I did however, download directly from adobe and not from their link for the adobe player. Which everyone should always do unless it is a trusted and known site!
I'm going to provide the link here for the "officials" to check out.
I highly recommend that you let them check this out first before downloading and using this simulator!
Just because I have used it without any issues is no reason to believe it is safe to use. The simulator I obtained may be clean but the next may not!

h ttp://foemanager.com/city-planner/

Regards,
Robbin the Hammer

DeletedUser26154

I use it too and so do others. As far as I know, there are no safety issues as long as you don't re-use your in-game password on that site. Shouldn't do that anywhere, for anything.

Hackers will use phony websites to fool you into giving them your account name and password.

DeletedUser28970

That is an excellent site for planning your city! (if you are into that) Took me just 15 minutes to determine that I could finish my next age with just 3 more expansions and 6 less houses. I'm a happy camper! With such substantial in-game time savings I now have much more time to hang out all day in the forum and make dumb posts. Life is really good!

http ://foemanager.com/city-planner/

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard Cranium 2

I am unable to import my city. I was able to in the past and all at once it quit working. I can create one from scratch but when I try to import it just tells me it wasn't created. Any ideas?

DeletedUser31392

I am unable to import my city. I was able to in the past and all at once it quit working. I can create one from scratch but when I try to import it just tells me it wasn't created. Any ideas?

Double check you typed the username correctly and you have chosen the proper server/world.

Only thing I can think would be causing this issue. I just did it myself with a few worlds and had no issue. Could be a cache problem too.

I've imported 3 citys to planner but had to create beta from scratch...could not find zzserver...also they don't have SoKsto put in city...i imported mine but where are they if you want to add ?

DeletedUser32059

Tagging this as a guide, if a mod thinks it shouldn't be, change it :p

Anyways, I have created a tool to help you plan your town. The tool is available online, so no downloading is needed. You can also save the map you create, and open it later to edit it again, or you can share it with others.
The tool can be found >>>here<<<

Please note the following:
- If an action is not possible, for whatever reason, that reason is shown under "Errors".
- When you place a building, the square you click on will become the upper left corner.
- You can also remove the town hall by using the general remove building option.
- A 4x5 building in-game (e.g the goat farm) will have a height of 4 and a width of 5 in this tool. The town hall has a height of 7 and a width of 6.
- The bright green or red indicate whether you can build or not. Green indicates that it is possible, red indicates that it is not. This doesn't work like I want to with the add / remove squares option, which should be fixed soon.
- The town points are not yet accurate, as not all points are known. Once all the points are known, the tool will become version 2.0.1 (unless something changes that makes me update the version).

If you encounter any bugs, please let me know. Either in this topic or through a PM.

I know the design sucks, and as I am not that awesome at web design myself I have asked someone else to do this for me. This should be done soon, I hope.

There is a changelog listed on the site, so when anything is updated, you can find the details there.

Have fun :) Feedback is highly appreciated.

NOTE: This doesn't seem to work on IE, it looks weird for me at least. That said, I do not provide active support for IE, but I will try to make it work.

DeletedUser28967

Hi All, is the simulator still available? Just followed the link and it took me to a domain vendor which implies the site is no longer up. True?

DeletedUser32378

I feel bad for people that need a program to help them with possible redecorating ideas, I have done all mine in my mind and even have names for certain parts like where I keep a massive row of gbs that appear to not be connected to a road, I call them end-caps. I strategically placed every single building and decoration to give the perfect 3-D illusion and even have a story about every building and a name for every street.

I'm open to taking jobs as a city design planner and would Love to hear what people think about my city in A world.

It's always changing and updating.

But seriously, what ever happened to the old sim city days when you didn't have a planner and you just went ham on releasing Godzilla, tornadoes, the works, to redoe your city.

DeletedUser32172

I feel bad for people that need a program to help them with possible redecorating ideas, I have done all mine in my mind and even have names for certain parts like where I keep a massive row of gbs that appear to not be connected to a road, I call them end-caps. I strategically placed every single building and decoration to give the perfect 3-D illusion and even have a story about every building and a name for every street.

I'm open to taking jobs as a city design planner and would Love to hear what people think about my city in A world.

It's always changing and updating.

But seriously, what ever happened to the old sim city days when you didn't have a planner and you just went ham on releasing Godzilla, tornadoes, the works, to redoe your city.

You're joking, right? Cause not everyone is great with visualization. (I have been accused on more than one occasion of being FAR too literal, so I apologize if this is the case. I'm really not as dense as this post might seem; I just take too much at face value, so, read on with that in mind and have patience with silly me. Thanks.) And sometimes you have an idea of how things SHOULD work, but you can't get them TO work...do I really need to go on? Besides, like this game, it's a great time waster. Definitely doesn't do anything to help one with insomnia issues, to begin with. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.