• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] City planner / simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Tried that...still not able to set some buildings. Some of the height x widths are incorrect. If you rotate the map, the building still rotates giving you the same result.

DeletedUser73

Let's assume you have a town like below:
Code:
.XX.......
.XX.......
.XX.......

The x's represent a building, in this case with a width of 2 and a height of 3.

Now, if I would rotate this clockwise, I would get the following town:
Code:
..XXX
..XXX

It is, essentially, the same map, but the building now has a width of 3 and a height of 2.
A building that previously had a height of 7 and a width of 6 now has a height of 6 and a width of 7. All building should have been rotated, matching your point of view.

DeletedUser

This is a very cool tool! Thanks for all the effort you've put into it.

I am a little confused by one thing. It will allow me to place a goat farm, or whatever, with no roads attaching it to the town hall. It lights up green. Is there not a filter for this requirement?

DeletedUser73

I am a little confused by one thing. It will allow me to place a goat farm, or whatever, with no roads attaching it to the town hall. It lights up green. Is there not a filter for this requirement?

There is a button on the bottom of the page to check if the buildings are connected to the roads, called "Check roads". As the calculation process is quite 'heavy' I decided to make a button instead of doing it every time you place a building, or every time you hover over a piece of land.

DeletedUser1508

Please tell me, how did you write this. What language? or editor. This is really interesting.

DeletedUser73

I wrote this using javascript, with some php to save and retrieve the saved maps.

DeletedUser

I went out on the internet and downloaded a free 3d cad program called Sketchup. Then I made all of the different buildings into components. I drew out a grid for the base and then made additional expansion sections to be added. Now I can draw out my city and plan for the different buildings and expansions where I need them. The nice thing is that I can now rotate the cad file to look at the city from any angle and see where space is wasted or improvments can be made.

DeletedUser73

They will be added, it does require some more work than adding some new buildings from existing categories though, so it may take some time. I hope to add them this weekend.

DeletedUser1009

I notice that this does not take into account for the different population requirements of the different age confectionary

DeletedUser3407

Amazing tool. Thanks for the work you put into it. Will you be updating it to include the "Tree of Love" from the Valentines day quest?

DeletedUser

I'm using Chrome and the save feature is not working for me. I save the link that it gives me but when I open it up it goes to a blank map. Am I doing something wrong or is this feature not set up yet?

DeletedUser73

It should work, although about a week ago all saved maps were deleted, so when you try to open one that was saved before that, you will get a blank map.

DeletedUser4250

Amazing tool slygoxx!
About the industrial when are you going to update it? After 14 march or before?

DeletedUser1585

Great tool! I noticed however, statue of zeus should be 3x2 instead of 2x3.

DeletedUser

Nope, it's 2x3.

In the game it's 2x3. On the simulator, it shows it being 3x2.

There are other errors too. Here are just a few I found.

Simulator Town Hall is 6x7 - Game Town Hall is 7x6
Simulator Alchemist is 2x3 - Game Alchemist is 3x2
Simulator Glassblower is 3x4 - Game Glassblower is 4x3

These are just a few of the errors I found in building size or direction in the few minutes I tried to use it for my city in 1 world. I don't mean to come across as overly critical. I'm sure with a few tweaks it would be an excellent tool. But as it is, it's actually only good for determining what you need to add for happiness or population.

DeletedUser4074

Those all look right in the simulator to me. Are you sure you don't have your map rotated 90º?

Status
Not open for further replies.