• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

City Shields Pro or Con?

DeletedUser28203

I am just going to copy and paste what I wrote in a message sent to the mods. I would add that if there are going to be city shields available from friends taverns that anyone who employs one should not be able to attack while the shield is up...this is a "war" game after all.

Hello,
I've been playing for a long time now. I actively play in D world and W. Over the years I've spent some money playing (usually to buy diamonds for expansions) and have enjoyed the game and the friends I've made here very much.
Today I came across what I can only describe imo as a horrible decision by the creators, mods, designers, or whoever decided to put this particular feature into the game. the "City Shield" from the friends tavern.
On Walstrand I am in a neighborhood with someone who is "top dog" at 217k points and I'm in the middle of the pack with 33k. He attacks me daily and plunders when he can catch me before I collect. I have no problem with that as I attack back and plunder when I can, but today I come across a message stating he cannot be attacked for 2 days because his city is protected by a shield. I'm not a bit sorry to say that I believe this is a step backwards for FOE.
Look at it like this... You are enabling the kid who throws a rock at your head while you ride your bike down the street then runs home and hides in mommy and daddy's house for days so he doesn't get his butt kicked.
I have taken breaks before for personal reasons but never before since I began playing have I considered quitting FOE altogether,
I would ask you to please reconsider this feature. I have talked with a number of my guildmates on Walstrand and they feel about the same as me. I haven't come across it in D yet but will be asking my guild and my friends if they have encountered it.
Thank you for taking the time to hear my complaint.

DeletedUser25273

The City Shield is very expensive, costing at least 8000 silver per day, which is over 100 visits (out of a maximum of 140 if you are lucky and can collect just as your tavern fills to 16 seated).Also, while he has the shield running, it will cost his 50 diamonds to use some other feature of the tavern, assuming that he has silver to spend. My guess is that a top of hood player could do a lot better with other usages of the silver (I suspect that he isn't actually stopping that many plunderings on him, it may help a bit with tower points, but not that much).

I think that boost was more intended for the bottom of hood player who is plundered by many higher ranking players in the hood. Maybe they can save up for a while and then have 3 days where they don't need to worry about plundering.This has been a common complaint, and we can see how much it is fixed with the new hoods in the morning.

DeletedUser28203

Yes you do need 8k per day up to 72 hours and you need 16 chairs which you can purchase with diamonds making it easier to collect all of that tavern silver. I could care less if someone plunders me, it's part of the game. I'm just left with a bad taste in my mouth when the game does not allow me to hit my adversary back.
I've been at the top of neighborhoods and I've been at the bottom. To those at the bottom I say say join a guild, use the GE to get unattached troops defend your city as best you can and most players may attack but not plunder. Leave your city unprotected except for the two gratis stickmen and nearly everyone will plunder you...you sometimes get what you deserve.

I still say if you cannot be attacked you shouldn't be able to attack anyone for that period of time.

DeletedUser25166

Collect on time. Who cares what he spends his silver on. I swear, this tavern thing is more trouble than good

DeletedUser25273

The complaints came largely from players in neighborhoods with a number of players many ages above themselves, where it is impractical to build up a strong enough defense to stop the attack, and the only advise the forum could give was 'collect on time'. That doesn't sound like the situation you have been in. I could see it being a reasonable modification that those with a shield up could not attack in PvP, and maybe even the retaliate button could be used for 24 hours after the attack even if a shield was put up after the attack.

DeletedUser28203

Good thoughts nomad richie ... nice to see you actually read before posting lol

DeletedUser26154

I vote yes even though this is technically not a proposal.

DeletedUser26965

Well, if you think about it this complaint is not really any different than the complaint of the over matched players. I mean really what's the fundamental difference between a shield and a player that has 150% a/d bonus against your 20% and units 10 ages higher than you? They could plunder you at will daily and you can't strike back, so it's basically the same as a shield only better. I realize now with the merge change that difference won't be as significant but it will still exist to some degree.

wolfhoundtoo

I am just going to copy and paste what I wrote in a message sent to the mods. I would add that if there are going to be city shields available from friends taverns that anyone who employs one should not be able to attack while the shield is up...this is a "war" game after all.

Hello,
I've been playing for a long time now. I actively play in D world and W. Over the years I've spent some money playing (usually to buy diamonds for expansions) and have enjoyed the game and the friends I've made here very much.
Today I came across what I can only describe imo as a horrible decision by the creators, mods, designers, or whoever decided to put this particular feature into the game. the "City Shield" from the friends tavern.
On Walstrand I am in a neighborhood with someone who is "top dog" at 217k points and I'm in the middle of the pack with 33k. He attacks me daily and plunders when he can catch me before I collect. I have no problem with that as I attack back and plunder when I can, but today I come across a message stating he cannot be attacked for 2 days because his city is protected by a shield. I'm not a bit sorry to say that I believe this is a step backwards for FOE.
Look at it like this... You are enabling the kid who throws a rock at your head while you ride your bike down the street then runs home and hides in mommy and daddy's house for days so he doesn't get his butt kicked.
I have taken breaks before for personal reasons but never before since I began playing have I considered quitting FOE altogether,
I would ask you to please reconsider this feature. I have talked with a number of my guildmates on Walstrand and they feel about the same as me. I haven't come across it in D yet but will be asking my guild and my friends if they have encountered it.
Thank you for taking the time to hear my complaint.

How do you know he attacked you with the City shield active? He could of attacked you and then placed the shield.

DeletedUser23828

the shield protects your city, when you attack you are at a different city thus the city shield would not have an effect, ie., you don't attack using artillery located inside your cities walls.

the shield is so expensive anyone that uses it loses the benefits from the tavern used elsewhere which would more than make up for any plundering done to his city.

like most perks from the tavern I doubt all but a few will ever be used.

DeletedUser

Maybe you should have thought about defense before running through tech and getting to a new age...just saying

DeletedUser28503

i disagree, the cost is expensive for that shield so players will need to play this game alot and get a very active friend list to keep up with the 7500 silver a day it cost to keep the shield going for the 3 day shield. Its possible but requires dedication to the game and actively exchanging tavern visits with your friends. Thats exactly what inno wants is more people to be more engaged and not less. So I think its a very good feature and when used properly assuming you can afford to do it frees a lot of land up by removing teh need for watchfires and def gb's. Considering all players in teh hood have this feature and hoods are now more closely matched to players era and development in the game I would say its a tactically sound feature forcing players to decide how to build your city.

Also FYI this proposal is not properly formatted. You should read this to adjust it. https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/proposal-guidelines-read-before-posting.139/

JC

DeletedUser8152

As noted, we need formal proposals to be properly formated; that helps ensure that everyone's ideas get a fair and full discussion. For now I'll move this to Forge Hall for further comments.