1. GvG Improvements Update

Hello Queens and Kings,
    First up, we wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to continue to contribute your feedback on the upcoming changes to Forge of Empires, especially in relation to Guild Battlegrounds.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Changelog 1.157

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.157 will take place on Wed, July 24, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

C'mon already guys this is ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Closed / Archived' started by diamonddave, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diamonddave

diamonddave Active Member

I don't see an added world taking away traffic, and the steady stream of promotions and new features to me suggests the game is becoming less profitable. I'm a little afraid Innogames has gone in a new direction that mimics other games many of us left due to things that echo FoE's current issues. I just think they need to look at their customer base a little better, and most importantly fix some very serious failures before launching any new content.

2. fobby1980

fobby1980 Guest

Well let' look at it from Innogames' pov shall we? Since InA, and then PA came out, many top players took little time in breezing thru the tech tree for those two ages. Not coincidentally, most of these top players are heavy spenders, so Innogames cannot take the risk of them becoming bored and look elsewhere for entertainment. Now I don't necessarily agree with the way these people approach the game; they took all the fun and strategy away from the game entirely, but I can't tell them how to spend their time nor money. Innogames can't either; the only thing they can do is try to keep them interested. And that leads to the predicament we're in right now.

3. PhantomForger

PhantomForger Well-Known Member

A new world does indeed take traffic away. Cities become inactive in all current 5 worlds on a daily basis, and they get deleted (so as long as they haven't reached LMA or the owner has at least 50 diamonds in their account). But new cities are also started in those same worlds, so instead of traffic slowly fading away, it actually slowly increases. As the Community Manager pointed out, this is not something that was decided yesterday, it was planned a while back --- especially around the Summer Event there was an increase of new cities across all worlds. Instead of waiting all worlds to get filled up to their limit (Inno knows how much data their servers can hold, they would not let the servers suffer from overload), a new server is opened. All new sign ups will have the new world as a recommended world. So, since new players will be directed there, the old servers (us1 to us5) will have their traffic slowed down due to the fact that cities will still go inactive and get deleted while less new cities will be started there.

Regarding the new content, I'd second what shMike said in another thread --- the developers and designers are those who create the game, and bring these new feature; the JSON (bad gateway) issue is something that system administrators are supposed to fix. The same confusion was there when the diamond sale came up --- that one was planned and delivered by the Marketing team of the company. Innogames has employees for different purpose, the developers and designers are here to bring this new content, otherwise they would not be doing their job if we didn't get this content.

4. Megamieuwsel

Megamieuwsel Guest

Develloping new features doesn't need to be stopped; IMPLEMENTING them before this JSON-stuff is resolved should be held off.
    That's a decission to be made at executive level.

As it is now we can draw an analogy with a car-manufacturer that knows the brakes of its latest model are defunct, yet still brings out a newer version of that model with a fancy radio without having the brake-issue fixed.
    At least you have a fancy radio to toy with while you crash into a bridge-pillar....

diamonddave likes this.
  5. PhantomForger

And what about the market versions that are not affected by JSON? As it is now, that would be asking for a race to be put to a halt because of the defunct of a few cars in that same race.

The ideal solution is for the JSON issue to be fixed before these new features arrive here. Whether that will happen, I myself cannot know, I can only hope the issue is fixed sometime soon.

6. Maybe if people would just stop playing the game until the error is fixed instead of fussing with "Jason", as the error is so fondly referred to as, as if their life depended upon it, then InnoGames would HAVE to do something about the error or the game would shut down due to lack of players....I mean c'mon guys, there are PLENTY of other games to play, and your life certainly DOESN'T depend upon it. If we want to play the game in peace again, then we must send InnoGames a message by REFUSING to play the game until they fix the error, thus forcing them into a position of do (fix the error) or die (bye bye Forge of Empires).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  7. PhantomForger

That's a foolish assumption. Even if somehow everyone here stopped playing, Inno would only close those FoE markets where no one plays. FoE would still continue to exist on the markets where the JSON issue is not in this state. And, simple logic here tells me if the servers are abandoned then Inno would not be forced to choose between fixing the issue or closing the market --- no point in fixing anything for a dead market. The highest attention would be given when there are many customers and potential customers that can be lost, which is this current case.

8. Thjudgeman

Thjudgeman Guest

Wow... 4 server errors just while loading and 4 JSON errors to boot ... all in a row. FOUR just to start the game to get to the main screen... 1234 (Fif) just to start the game. I get there are issues with every piece of software and a bug fix here or patch there breaks something somewhere else but damn... this has been going on for SEVERAL weeks now with no real answers or fixes... I get it's a free game n' all but I like many others have spent a little $$$ to support the devs and would expect something other than this after so many weeks.

Ok rant over.

Have a great day!!!!!

9. lupineblue

lupineblue Guest

"Failure to make connection to JSON gateway."

Ok, so let's think about this rationally. JSON gateway is going to be a server designed to handle the JSON requests.... so.... what do the error logs on that server show? Is the maximum number of connections to that particular service being regularly reached, which is refusing additional connections? Or does the service still have capacity, and the server itself is not reachable?

If it's the former, could the sysadmin increase the max number of connections in the service configuration? If it's the latter, then you have some infrastructure problems, and you ought to contact your service provider to figure out why your server isn't consistently reachable. Since any decent service provider would have an SLA guaranteeing availability, I'm guessing it's the service which responds to the JSON connections which is being overwhelmed. And since increasing the number of simultaneous connections is fairly simple (and hasn't been done), I'm guessing that your server is running at max load and increasing the number of connections would bog it down or cause the service to crash.

Therefore..... it's time to upgrade your servers so that they can support either more connections per service or more instances of the service running at the same time.

You guys are advertising your games on TV here in the USA, if you don't have the capacity to handle the additional traffic, that advertising money is wasted. Cut back on your advertising and recruitment of new players and instead put that money towards upgrading your systems so that they can handle the player load you already have.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'd like to state that fixing the JSON problems and developing new features are not mutually exclusive tasks.

There is an operations group and a development group. Dev handles features and gameplay issues, while ops handles infrastructure. Failure to make a connection to the JSON service is probably an infrastructure problem and not something that the developers handle. And the devs aren't simply going to stop working and sit on their hands until the ops team fixes the infrastructure problems.

10. Dadnking

Dadnking Member

once again about to be moved

11. lupineblue

lupineblue Guest

The thread is about to be moved to a different subforum, or the game is about to be moved to a different server?

If it's the game, could you post a link to where you got this information?

12. One, having all these 'devoted' fans that plug away while 'Jason' takes every limb from their body one by one isn't motivating InnoGames to fix the issue now, so why would that change in the future? And if they ARE currently fixing the issue, it would be wise of them to keep players appraised of their progress. Two, even closing down ONE market means less players that purchase diamonds, and potentially SIGNIFICANTLY less money going to InnoGames. Three, I bet that even some PATIENT people have already given up on the game, not to mention the IMPATIENT people, and that that number increases every day. In fact, even if there are still ten million registered players, which is Forge of Empires' peak number, that doesn't mean that there are still 10 million ACTIVE registered players. Some of those people might now just be phantoms, who may or may not 'come back from the dead' once the error is fixed.

13. PhantomForger

That just further proves my point --- people going on a 'riot' does in no way aid the situation.

14. chainsawdeath213

chainsawdeath213 New Member

going to delete most of my stuff, not going to play but on one server because of this.. they have shown they don't care

15. mcbeck

mcbeck Guest

8 times a minute? I wish I had it so good! Me, I get jsoned 8 times every 4 seconds! :laugh:We have to laugh or cry. Sometimes both are ok, but that makes me hiccup.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Well-Known Member

You know, thirty years from now we'll be reminiscing that these were the days, and we''l be bemoaning the fact that if you try to tell the youth today about this they just won't believe you.

17. Ni-terat

Ni-terat Member

tonight I had to make 3 attempts in less than 5 minutes to place a building. Than it took 5 attempts in as many minutes to get the scout onto the boat for the new continent. Then it took 5 attempts to build a unit in a barracks. All total I wasted 15 minutes on 3 actions all due to JSON errors and getting booted back to the sign on page. I have lost 5 fellow gamers this weekend that just up and quit the game, disconnected their cities so nothing can be used for M/P or donations to Great Buildings. When is Inno going to get off their collective posteriors and fix this?

18. oberyn martell

oberyn martell Member

This IS , HAS BEEN and REMAINS a server capacity issue. Server capacity at this point strictly relates to cost. The cost of frustrating players and losing some, is less than upgrading to larger capacity servers. It's really pretty simple and eventually they will admit it, or we will regress in player population to the point where it resolves itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing could be further from the truth. If everyone stopped playing, they would either shut down FOE OR spend the money to increase server capacity and fix the problem. Given there really isn't a way to rally people to such a cause like stopping play completely, we won't see this issue tested. But, make no mistake, this is purely an economic issue and allowing player frustration to reach incredible heights is STILL far, far, far cheaper than upgrading these servers.

19. PhantomForger

Again, there are language versions of the game with both smaller and larger player bases, who are not experiencing the game issue. There are also language versions of the game with both smaller and larger player bases who are experiencing the game issue. All separate worlds have their own separate server (each with different number of players) yet the issue appears across all servers within a language version. This is all but a server issue, based on those facts.

Intriguing how many players believe they know the source of the issue. I'd be interested in learning what is the source for these beliefs? Just curious how we can so easily locate the issue and find a solution, if it's taking quite a while for the system administrators to do so.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  20. Thjudgeman

Thjudgeman Guest

Not being picky but is it a programming/language issue or is it a network/server issue... you seem to contradict here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.