• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Coins, supplies, decimal points and time to think about it

DeletedUser17265

It's been a while since the advent so now my opinion is fully formed… I don't like it.
:)
There is plenty of room at the top of the screen for a full read out of coins and supplies. The decimal requires that I move my mouse pointer over the read out to see my full amounts. I'll tell you what that is. whim wham. I don't like it. wait for it.

This "whim wham" means that I can't see my totals change because of the decimal representation without checking before and after I collect. Now,
I want to hear the counter argument from those who'd say "But I have too many coins and supplies the number is too long it makes my eyes hurt to read it." :razz:

I say, what you have is a mere bag of shells and are you fooling yourself? The shell game?
:) signed - (grandslampops founder) geandhorn

DeletedUser17558

The counter argument is who cares. What is so important that you need to see EXACT total of coins and supplies you have at any given time? Honestly, those are the resources that become less important as you get further in the game. They are limiting factors early on, but they should accumulate and become non-factors after awhile.

DeletedUser17265

they are used to unlock every tech. I could go on. However, I feel my answer thus far is sufficient to expose yours for what it is - I've collected so many supplies and coins it doesn't matter anymore… then why pay for anything? Stop collecting and start counting because the dealing is done.
I'm stating my opinion that I don't like the representation of a decimal in favor of the real total. who am I? I've been playing the game for a while, have played both without the decimal and with. I have an opinion and am entitled to it.

Algona

I think shauny asked a reasonable question, I'll rephrase it though.

Is there some reason that you need/want to see the exact amount?

I'm OK if this is just something you want because it's what you want. I'm not against the idea, I just don't see the need personally, but maybe I'm missing something.

DeletedUser17558

I don't understand what the big deal is? I can see that I have 295.2M coins, why do I need to see that I have 295,187,462 coins? And to check the number you don't even need to click, you can just hover (assuming PC).

DeletedUser17265

Details? I meant to spare you this. ok. so let me start by saying. You asked for it.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with an "inner accountant" feeling annoyed by this, so I figured I'd share the opinion. Here it is. With the decimal representation we are rounding down. which means- when I have 295.2 million coins I can't know if I have 295,200,000 or if I have 295,299,999 coins without launching a research project. Say I'm collecting 33,000 coins at a collection, that's 3 chances of losing count in my head before the decimal is scheduled to change.
When I started the game I had an exact read out what I had for years until the change over. Likely when you started the game, you had an exact read out. Every coin counted and it's easy to lose sight. If you stop collecting coins and continue spending, eventually you will care more than you already have about 99,999 coins sighted in your example.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8152

Really this is just a matter of taste... there's no right or wrong, just opinion.

For myself, I much prefer the abbreviated display.

DeletedUser17265

It's like this, when you go to the store, do you count your change or do you let them just hand you point something and round down?
yes. I liked having the exact account on display. questions I'd ask you are, why do you like the decimal better. what is gained with less info? are you telling me you prefer to be less informed?

DeletedUser8152

No, when they hand me change at the store I do not count the pennies.

With the current display, I can easily keep informed about what I care about, which is the approximate amount of coins and supply I have in stock. With a full display it would be harder for me to get that information since it is hard to track the number of digits.

DeletedUser17265

you count the paper tho. you'd know if they gave you ten as opposed to nineteen. no? would you go to the store and not count any of your change 3 times in a row? Probably not?

DeletedUser17558

Details? I meant to spare you this. ok. so let me start by saying. You asked for it.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with an "inner accountant" feeling annoyed by this, so I figured I'd share the opinion. Here it is. With the decimal representation we are rounding down. which means- when I have 295.2 million coins I can't know if I have 295,200,000 or if I have 295,299,999 coins without launching a research project. Say I'm collecting 33,000 coins at a collection, that's 3 chances of losing count in my head before the decimal is scheduled to change.
When I started the game I had an exact read out what I had for years until the change over. Likely when you started the game, you had an exact read out. Every coin counted and it's easy to lose sight. If you stop collecting coins and continue spending, eventually you will care more than you already have about 99,999 coins sighted in your example.

So your issue is you might not be able to accurately account for 0.04% (per the example) of your total amount of coins? Listen, I can get real OCD about this game sometimes as well. I have a few spreadsheets for things I want to focus on. I update them all the time. It is one of the aspects of this game that I really like. But the coin and supply dispay being rounded vs. showing the actual number is so far down the list that it was never on the list to begin with.

And your real world example is completely flawed. If you are a normal joe making a decent living, then yeah, a couple of bucks being shortchanged can be annoying, but this is more akin to the billionaire losing track and being overcharged a couple hundred thousand on a $50 million dollar boat. When you have that much, does it even matter?

I like the decimal better because it looks cleaner. The info contained isn't more or less important depending on the number of significant figures. I don't feel less informed, especially since I can just HOVER OVER THE NUMBER AND IT TELLS ME EXACTLY HOW MUCH I HAVE.

I think your best solution would be to propose a toggle in the settings or something.

DeletedUser17265

ok. I recall you to the stand. you're saying you prefer I be less informed. got it. why didn't you say so?

Algona

Rherin, is that you?

Why are you getting hostile about this?

No one says you are wrong, they just don't agree with you on your opinion.

My opinion is that unless I'm missing something like INNO is stealing my coins (damn you INNO leave my coinz alone!)that I don't need anything beyond 2 place accuracy.

Your opinion is that you need/want it.

Great.

Is it gonna make any difference in game play? Prolly not. Would it hurt to chamge? Nope.

Massive don't care from me if it changes or not, I was just curious if I missed something.

Nope, guess not.

Have fun storming the castle, boys!

DeletedUser17265

If you don't want it because you don't need it, then the question becomes… what else don't you need?

Not caring is inferred before the discussion started. It's a thread placed in Tavern anything light hearted.

DeletedUser8428

ok. I recall you to the stand. you're saying you prefer I be less informed. got it. why didn't you say so?
I don't think Shaunypoo said anything about preferring that you be less informed. The information you're looking for is currently available to you. It sounded more to me like he was suggesting a user preference setting that one person could have on and another could have off. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Volodya

Is it really THAT much effort to hover over the readout to get the precise figure you crave? I'm as lazy as the next guy, but c'mon...

DeletedUser17462

If you don't want it because you don't need it, then the question becomes… what else don't you need?

Not caring is inferred before the discussion started. It's a thread placed in Tavern anything light hearted.
Sorry, but your responses have been anything but light hearted. You seem genuinely offended that ppl aren't agreeing with you.

DeletedUser17558

If you didn't realize, as multiple posters have now stated, that you could hover over the truncated number and get the EXACT number, then you are already less informed.

DeletedUser17265

me thinks you protest too much.
I won't suggest you should have to hover for the estimate you prefer. I'll state it would be nice to have a choice.

DeletedUser13838

The amounts were reported the way you want but despite your claims otherwise, the amounts did not fit into the allotted space. Someone proposed the change to the current way amounts are displayed (more or less), the proposal was accepted and amazingly, the change was made. If you don't like the current method, go ahead and propose a change.

I don't expect there'd be much support. You can already see the exact number if you want and the display is not broken (I don't think) as it was previously (not fitting into the allotted space). I personally like the current method.