• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

'Collect all' functionality

qaccy

So I was bored and decided to look over in the bug report forums. Saw a closed thread with a back and forth about a 'bug' with the 5-diamond 'collect all' button available on the browser version of the game and how the issue described wasn't actually a bug. I was gonna ask a question but the thread got closed (since it wasn't a bug), so I'll ask it here instead: If the whole thing is working as designed, in that the diamonds are'spent' as soon as the button is clicked (assuming the confirmation box is disabled), then why does refreshing the page with the production options visible on the screen (after clicking the button) work to avoid spending any diamonds and not actually collect anything? Shouldn't that result in still having collected everything and paying the diamonds, but not having any productions reset?

Not a question I'm personally too invested in, but it's 4 AM which is the perfect time to be wondering about things like this. :cool:

DeletedUser

Here's what I think, and keep in mind that I use this feature frequently. At least 3 times daily. If you have no production buildings ready to collect, and you have disabled the Diamond confirmation, then the 5 Diamonds are spent and everything is collected immediately when you click the "Collect all" button. However, if you have production buildings ready to collect, then it becomes a two step process to initiate the collections. Even though you can't back out of the process without hitting the refresh button, the collections/Diamond spending don't happen until you select and click a production cycle button. So, if you refresh the page in the middle of the process, it aborts the whole thing.

As I said, I use this multiple times a day, with and without production buildings ready to collect. This is exactly what I have observed. (And I just tested using the refresh button in the middle of the process, and it does cancel it out.)

DreadfulCadillac

Here's what I think, and keep in mind that I use this feature frequently. At least 3 times daily. If you have no production buildings ready to collect, and you have disabled the Diamond confirmation, then the 5 Diamonds are spent and everything is collected immediately when you click the "Collect all" button. However, if you have production buildings ready to collect, then it becomes a two step process to initiate the collections. Even though you can't back out of the process without hitting the refresh button, the collections/Diamond spending don't happen until you select and click a production cycle button. So, if you refresh the page in the middle of the process, it aborts the whole thing.

As I said, I use this multiple times a day, with and without production buildings ready to collect. This is exactly what I have observed. (And I just tested using the refresh button in the middle of the process, and it does cancel it out.)
I use the feature daily to collect, so I dont have to have 2-3 collections daily, as I collect around 160 fp.

Graviton

Shouldn't that result in still having collected everything and paying the diamonds, but not having any productions reset?

Good question! I'd guess that the programming does not include a commit point, so when the program is interrupted, by a refresh in this case, the whole thing is backed out. Similar to a banking transaction that involves multiple database updates: unless a commit point is written after every record update, if something goes kablooey all the updates are backed out, like they never happened. Whereas if there were a commit point written after the confirmation window is clicked or bypassed, refreshing prior to selecting a production time would still result in diamonds spent and collections collected.

Just a guess though. I'm speaking from the perspective of mainframe COBOL and DB2 programming; I have no idea if commit points exist in whatever language the game is programmed in.

Last edited:

qaccy

Thanks for the responses! I use that button every day myself, and seeing that thread made me wonder a bit more about how it actually worked. It still seems weird that the confirmation box technically comes up at the wrong time when there are productions to reset after collecting (should probably be when actually selecting an option or attempting to close the box), but it's a good point that it has to show up immediately when collecting without any productions to reset. I guess they just didn't bother to have the confirmation box pop up at two different times depending on what's being collected. Or they weren't thinking about it at all because it's not really a huge deal lol