• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Colonial Age Units

PJS299

I got a traz recently and I don't have the best units from my age. I was wondering if anybody has any preferences on which units they like in Colonial Age that are good. I was thinking about getting rid of my musketeer range and putting in a ranger camp. Does anybody advise anything else?

Johnny B. Goode

I have two cities in Colonial Age and I use 8 Field Guns almost exclusively. The only exception is if I'm against an army of all Rangers, then I use 1 Grenadier with 7 Rogues. That's the real key unit...Rogues. That is, if you're not using artillery. Rogues are sometimes okay with artillery, but generally not. I would recommend one Rogue Hideout/Den, one Grenadier barracks and one Field Gun camp. Although, after you've gotten a couple of dozen Grenadiers, I would get rid of that and just produce Field Guns and Rogues. The Field Guns can handle almost anything in Colonial, and it's good to start building up your Rogue inventory now for later ages.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Field Guns are the best (like many other artillery units in their respective ages), but only if you have enough attack bonus to one-shot or maybe two-shot. Otherwise they are likely to get damaged too easily.

DevaCat

I agree about placing a rogue hideout or den and keeping it down constantly to build up their numbers. Add a standard barracks and produce a comfortable number of its units, then delete it and proceed until you have a stock of all types. Then you can try different load-outs to find out what you like and what works for you.

Manual or autobattle? Leisurely GE or frantic GBG? It makes a difference, as does the amount of your boosts which Kranyar pointed out. I found 1 heavy + 1 light + rogues to be effective in any manual Colonial fight. In autobattle fights 2 heavy + rogues or 2 heavy + 1 light + rogues worked well for me. But again, results are going to vary depending on boosts.

Johnny B. Goode

Field Guns are the best (like many other artillery units in their respective ages), but only if you have enough attack bonus to one-shot or maybe two-shot. Otherwise they are likely to get damaged too easily.
Field Guns are the first artillery unit to be able to hit the entire board effectively on their first turn. The best thing about that is that they can attack while moving back/to the side, which helps avoid most damage. There are exceptions, of course, and the vast majority of the time you must manually battle when using them. Using them with auto is generally not a good idea except against rather specific enemy lineups. I am very successful with them and my attack boosts are in the 250-300 range.

Pericles the Lion

In CA my A/D was in the 650/450 range and I auto-battled in GBG with a mix of Musketeers and rogues with the number of rogues at least the number of field guns in the defending army.