• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Contest!! Tax Day 2016

• Thread starter DeletedUser8152
  • Start date

DeletedUser25704

OK, here is the explanation. I will also post on the first page.

First, the correct answers are:

Line 1: 259 = 140 * 1.85
Line 2: 105
Line 3: 154 = 259 - 105
Line 4: 166 = 154*1.08 (rounded)
Line 5: 144 = 120*1.2
Line 6: 120
Line 7: 24 = 144 - 120
Line 8: 10 = 24 - 14
Line 9 : 17 = 166/10 (rounded)
Line 10: 500

The issue was line 1. A sextant is produced in a Clockmaker, and is worth 140 supplies. If you check in the game you will see that. However, many people looked it up on the Forge Wiki, which lists a value of 160. At first we thought perhaps this had been changed maliciously to disrupt the contest, but in fact it is an old error. It is actually noted in the comments section on the Wiki page, if you look carefully.

Because of this, only a few people got the answer right. Given this problem, it seemed best to end the contest, rather than allowing more people to be frustrated by it. This was certainly not anything deliberate in the contest design; our own guide on the forum does list the sextant correctly, and we didn't think to verify the wiki ahead of time. (Just to be clear: the wiki page is not run by or officially supported by InnoGames.)

I apologize for this situation, I'm sure many people will be disappointed. But we do have several winners who deserve genuine congratulations for getting lines 1-9 right:

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

Each of them will receive 100 diamonds. From those who also got line 10 correct, we randomly selected bender619 to win the 1000 diamond prize. Congratulations and well done!

Since we ended up giving out less diamonds than expected, I expect we will be able to run more contests in the future. Thanks very much to all who participated and I hope that the puzzle was a fun challenge, regardless.
if you read down further in wiki you would have seen where they fix this problem

DeletedUser25704

The issue was line 1. A sextant is produced in a Clockmaker, and is worth 140 supplies. If you check in the game you will see that. However, many people looked it up on the Forge Wiki, which lists a value of 160. At first we thought perhaps this had been changed maliciously to disrupt the contest, but in fact it is an old error. It is actually noted in the comments section on the Wiki page, if you look carefully.

Because of this, only a few people got the answer right. Given this problem, it seemed best to end the contest, rather than allowing more people to be frustrated by it. This was certainly not anything deliberate in the contest design; our own guide on the forum does list the sextant correctly, and we didn't think to verify the wiki ahead of time. (Just to be clear: the wiki page is not run by or officially supported by InnoGames.)

I apologize for this situation, I'm sure many people will be disappointed. But we do have several winners who deserve genuine congratulations for getting lines 1-9 right:

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

Each of them will receive 100 diamonds. From those who also got line 10 correct, we randomly selected bender619 to win the 1000 diamond prize. Congratulations and well done!

Since we ended up giving out less diamonds than expected, I expect we will be able to run more contests in the future. Thanks very much to all who participated and I hope that the puzzle was a fun challenge, regardless.
I would have to say that if you fill out your taxes they way that you figure your answers you would get an audit for sure. when taking a percentage of a number, you would not just subtract the number you would do the math. so someone need to go back to school and learn math or explain what you are looking for completely
in looking at your answers and how each step was worded you have the wrong answers

DeletedUser25704

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

this is what the correct answer should be if you follow what info you where given
Line 1: Enter the supply value obtained for producing a sextant, if your population is happy (neither angry nor enthusiastic) and you have a level 4 Lighthouse of Alexandria. Assume no other bonuses.
Sextant Happy bonus Answer
140 0.85 259
Line 2: Enter the happiness provided by an unpolished Vitruvian Man decoration obtained in the Late Middle Ages.
Answer
Line 3: Subtract line 2 from line 1.
Answer
Line 4: Increase line 3 by a percentage equal to the attack boost provided by a Speaker's Corner from the Modern Era. Round to the nearest whole number.
percentage Answer
0.08 166
Line 5: Enter the coin value obtained when collecting from an Estate House, if your population is enthusiastic. Assume no other bonuses.
Coin value enthusiastic Answer
120 1.2 144
Line 6: Enter the number of diamonds required to unlock the 5th troop slot in a Jaeger Encampment.
Answer
Line 7: If line 6 is greater than line 5, subtract line 5 from line 6. Otherwise, subtract line 6 from line 5.
Answer
Line 8: Subtract from line 7 the recruiting bonus percentage enjoyed by a guild at level 25.
recruiting bonus percentage Answer should be
0.14 20.64
Line 9: Divide line 4 by line 8 and round to the nearest whole number. This is your final answer, but see line 10.
line 4 line 8 Answer
166 20.64 8
Line 10: Bonus item: enter the number of "likes" your posts must receive on this forum to be awarded the "I LOVE IT" trophy.
Answer

DeletedUser11616

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

If the contest was closed due to Wiki's 160 vs 140 for the sextant and you really wanted to be FAIR to ALL players, instead of closing the contest and rewarding a select few, you could have figured out the answer using 160 and had TWO correct responses....but that is mute as it was stated the contest was closed due to the answer being posted in the forum (who would know if the posted response was correct or not?)

DeletedUser4770

The contest was flawed from the beginning, even if it the wiki had remained accurate. The rules as stated only forbid sharing answers, or links to them, on this forum, but made no such claim about sharing them in-game. Even if they had included in-game communication, it would have been unenforceable. The only sort of contests that will work are those that require unique and individual answers from every participant. Or...guess what number I'm thinking of, though that sort of contest works better in chat.

Just as well. I'm mathematically-challenged. :(

Thank you for your comments. We are always looking for suggestions as to contests players might like to see!

DeletedUser4770

We'll try to post a new contest as soon as we can. Any suggestions as to the types of contests you'd like to see are greatly appreciated.

Line 7: If line 6 is greater than line 5, subtract line 5 from line 6. Otherwise, subtract line 6 from line 5.
Answer
Line 8: Subtract from line 7 the recruiting bonus percentage enjoyed by a guild at level 25.
recruiting bonus percentage Answer should be
0.14 20.64

Can we not have Line 8 next time? I took it to mean subtract 14 from 24. Apparently it was 24 multiplied by 0.86. I cannot remember obscure math like this especially, when it asks you to subtract but requires you to multiply to get the answer.

DeletedUser8152

Can we not have Line 8 next time? I took it to mean subtract 14 from 24. Apparently it was 24 multiplied by 0.86. I cannot remember obscure math like this especially, when it asks you to subtract but requires you to multiply to get the answer.
You interpreted it as we intended Rob.

DeletedUser25704

line 8 can be also taken like all the other math that is used in this contest. maybe add to forget about the percent sign because the same math is used elsewhere in the contest. this was to be look at like it was an IRS form so some people will not ignore the % sign with out direction to do so.

DeletedUser18851

We'll try to post a new contest as soon as we can. Any suggestions as to the types of contests you'd like to see are greatly appreciated.

I am tired of the brainless, repetitive and horrifically boring quests in-game that oftentimes result in a reward I don't even want. That's why I was excited about this contest at first. Anyway, I think this would be a fun idea -- I don't know if you could do this considering it would involve an endorsement of an outside resource (unaffiliated with Inno) -- the forgestats.net city building tool -- but it might be fun to put forth some minimum and maximum parameters, and see who can design the most efficient city, as measured by some variable defined in advance, such as fitting in the maximum number of goods, or max barracks, etc.

As an example, you might make a contest to design a city for maximum goods output with the following parameters:

-Goods value is defined by LMA goods equivalent according to 2:1 fair trade. (eg. 1 LMA goods building is same value as 2 HMA goods buildings)
-City must include all items (GB's, decorations, special items, etc) present in the template city (view my sample)
-You may use a maximum of 81 4x4 expansion grids (total of 1296 squares - template is already set up this way but you can rearrange into different shape)
-Any buildings from bronze through LMA tech tree may be used, excluding additional special event items.
-City must run at 120% enthusiasm with no more than 2 concurrent polishes.
-Must have at least 8 supply buildings.
-May include a maximum of 2 premium buildings of your choosing.
-Population provided must meet population demands (ie. be a feasible city)
-All buildings requiring roads must be adequately provided with such.

I imagine that for this contest, there would be a practical maximum that a number of players might arrive at independently, in different ways. They could all receive the main prize. Maybe someone will figure out a way that's better than everyone else, and they can win a special grand prize. And anyone meeting at least a certain standard of excellence (as determined by a decent city-builder in advance) could win an average prize.

It would be easy to spot copy-cats, as it's very highly unlikely that any two cities are going to wind up being exactly the same considering all the possible configurations. Identical cities can simply be disqualified.

It would be hard to judge and involve a learning curve for a large majority of the player base. But Inno has quite obviously been pandering to the masses of noobs lately with their events (hello, globe statue, peace sculpture, drummer school and shrine of inspiration???), and throwing the experienced players by the wayside... who, by the way, are growing more disgruntled day by day. This would give the experienced players who already use the builder a mentally stimulating contest, and at the same time would get curious newer players the chance to learn something new that will help them maintain a better city in the future.

DeletedUser8152

That's an interesting idea Deathmjp, we can try to come up with something like that. We've had city design contests in the past.

DeletedUser25300

I w
I waited to post my answer because I had commented to jaelis that there were several ways to rationally interpret line 8. I logged into the forum to see if he had responded to find the contest closed. The biggest slap to the face over it is that I had noticed the correction for the sextant and gave the correct answers.

DeletedUser25719

I had those answers but couldn't find a registration area to post my answers. I sent them an email and they got back to me but since the contest got messed up now I can't post or win anything.. That sucks

DeletedUser25300

Mother's Day is around the corner. Early May. I am aware you already have an event scheduled for that time. I am sure you have likely run a beta on the questline, so why not do a contest. I will leave the specifics up to you for the actual contest, largely because I do not have the desire to come up with something at the moment. Prizes could be diamonds, or a special decoration or maybe even a special building similar to The King/The Queen. Google images the phrase "Mother Statue" and plenty of inspiration comes up.

DeletedUser11616

Thank you for your comments. We are always looking for suggestions as to contests players might like to see!
Perhaps a contest where a new Special Events Building is created or an older building modified? Mods would submit final ideas to Inno and whichever one(s) they implement, would be deemed the winner(s) (main prize for winner with runner up prizes)