• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Continent Map Battles in Modern Age Are A Money Grab

I've been in the Modern Age for quite a while. I need more real estate to build, and the only way I know how to get it is either buy it (not buying diamonds for ANY reason), or acquire it on the Continent Map. I've made it to what I guess you would call The Philippines/Japan on the map, and on cue this game has me fighting against Defending Units from the Postmodern Era. Not only do they give them +25% in both Attack and Defend, but in every battle I have to defeat SIXTEEN units against my EIGHT. Of course I can use diamonds to 'heal' my units, but that's just another money grab for this game. And before anyone says anything, I battle with 122% Attack and 79% Defend. You can't up your Defend in the Tavern, and I only have one other GB that I can get another 4% Defend IF I can find the pieces I need to complete it. Of course I don't have the real estate to build it even if I could complete it. I even try it with a couple of Rogue's, but that doesn't really help. So it looks like my only option is to move to PostModern, but of course the military pieces are all towards the end of that Era, so it's a Catch-22 because I'm sure this game will have me battling the next Era's Units as I progress across the map.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaCat

I've been in the Modern Age for quite a while. I need more real estate to build, and the only way I know how to get it is either buy it (not buying diamonds for ANY reason), or acquire it on the Continent Map. I've made it to what I guess you would call The Philippines/Japan on the map, and on cue this game has me fighting against Defending Units from the Postmodern Era. Not only do they give them +25% in both Attack and Defend, but in every battle I have to defeat SIXTEEN units against my EIGHT. Of course I can use diamonds to 'heal' my units, but that's just another money grab for this game. And before anyone says anything, I battle with 122% Attack and 79% Defend. You can't up your Defend in the Tavern, and I only have one other GB that I can get another 4% Defend IF I can find the pieces I need to complete it. Of course I don't have the real estate to build it even if I could complete it. I even try it with a couple of Rogue's, but that doesn't really help. So it looks like my only option is to move to PostModern, but of course the military pieces are all towards the end of that Era, so it's a Catch-22 because I'm sure this BS game will have me battling the next Era's Units as I progress across the map.
I'm sorry, did you say 122%atk 79%def? In Modern Era? Lol.

By all means, you should forget about building or leveling GBs, and move up to Postmodern asap. After all, that's worked out so far hasn't it?

Triopoly Champion

I'm in Colonial, my Champions can easily beat some of the boosted Indy Jaegers(Fast vs Light).

You'll need at least 200% attack/120% defense for the attacking army if wanna advance so much on the continent maps without aging up, best if higher military boosts. A modern era player shouldn't have the lower boosts than me which can mean not able to finish GE level 3.

Hop to Contemporary Era, the Anti-Aircraft Vehicles can surge through the Modern and Postmodern continent maps fairly easy.

Modern Era is 1 of the worst ages, bad GBs, no strong current age units, the top players often cannot sell out ME goods for fps.

Last edited:

wolfhoundtoo

Sections of the map correspond to ages/eras that you move thru during the game. Just because you choose to stay in modern era doesn't mean you shouldn't after to face higher aged enemy units if you move into the section of the map that is considered to be PME. Your best bet is to reexamine your city and determine what it is that you want to produce that will best able you to get what you want (which is more land).

You could trade for the goods you need to be able to take provinces without fighting. You could get additional great buildings to help you with your attack and defense percentage. Just what exactly do you have in your city now? If you want the land and want to fight your way through you'll have to adjust your strategy. Also are you auto battling or manual battling?

Farfle the smelly

Sorry, friend. It sounds like my real estate issues in Iron. So many GBs, so little room. What I’ve been doing is offering 1.9 on high level Arcs and the AO since they’re medal machines. I snipe for said 1.9 funding. That’s my only suggestion. It’s been working great for me. Just this week I was able to buy an expansion for both my iron cities. It’s slow and steady but it’s ‘free’.

Sections of the map correspond to ages/eras that you move thru during the game. Just because you choose to stay in modern era doesn't mean you shouldn't after to face higher aged enemy units if you move into the section of the map that is considered to be PME. Your best bet is to reexamine your city and determine what it is that you want to produce that will best able you to get what you want (which is more land).

You could trade for the goods you need to be able to take provinces without fighting. You could get additional great buildings to help you with your attack and defense percentage. Just what exactly do you have in your city now? If you want the land and want to fight your way through you'll have to adjust your strategy. Also are you auto battling or manual battling?
I've made it through the map where I'm at by mostly trading with my Guild partners and negotiating spaces. But you have to have Guild members that are two or three era's ahead of you, or you'll finally run out of options when it comes to trading. What's ironic is you get people on this forum that tell you "You're moving too fast through the game", then someone else says "Sounds like you're stuck, the only option is to go to the next Era".

BruteForceAttack

I've made it through the map where I'm at by mostly trading with my Guild partners and negotiating spaces. But you have to have Guild members that are two or three era's ahead of you, or you'll finally run out of options when it comes to trading. What's ironic is you get people on this forum that tell you "You're moving too fast through the game", then someone else says "Sounds like you're stuck, the only option is to go to the next Era".

You need to level your GB's to get more attack and defense. One of the bad habit is using goods to do c-map....once you start doing that you are digging hole deeper and deeper and you will never get out it.... So start working on your Zeus/CoA/CDM and get some decent attack and defense. There are many other event buildings that give more attack as well, get them.

Another way to look at it is, how far can you fight in GE? if you cannot do all 4 levels with fighting...dont move to next age.

I'm sorry, did you say 122%atk 79%def? In Modern Era? Lol.

By all means, you should forget about building or leveling GBs, and move up to Postmodern asap. After all, that's worked out so far hasn't it?
I actually thought that was good. That's what else sucks about this game. You have to get lucky and find GB pieces to build GB that give you more Defend and Attack, then have the real estate available to build them. You can buy all these other buildings or posts that give you more Defend and Attack (if they're available in the Trader's Market. But of course you have to have enough coins to buy them. So if you're an expert in this game, tell me how you get more Attack and Defend without building whatever GB's provide those. I haven't come across any buildings that give me more. I gained more Attack with this Governor's Building in this last challenge (or whatever they call it). So where are the magic guidelines that tell you how much Attack?defend you need for each level? Are the resources supposed to just magically appear? No wait. Buy diamonds and just buy all those resources, right?

You need to level your GB's to get more attack and defense. One of the bad habit is using goods to do c-map....once you start doing that you are digging hole deeper and deeper and you will never get out it.... So start working on your Zeus/CoA/CDM and get some decent attack and defense. There are many other event buildings that give more attack as well, get them.

Another way to look at it is, how far can you fight in GE? if you cannot do all 4 levels with fighting...dont move to next age.
I've already leveled those three GB. I have a Level now Governor's Mansion from the last event. I've purchased a couple of other buildings that gave me extra Attack/Defend, but haven't seen any other ways to gain attack/defend. That's the irony of this game. You can only go so far in a certain era before you run out of real estate. If you want to produce era goods, you have to capture them on the Continent Map. What's sad about that is you can't even find those. Yet another frustrating part of this Era is the requirements for the goods buildings. I get the Convenience Food piece on the map, build it, and OOOPS, if you want to produce the higher level of goods, you also need to have an operational Coffee building in your city. There's some of these Modern Era goods buildings where I never found the piece for other required building. So how does that work?

Iroh the Tea Maker

I actually thought that was good. That's what else sucks about this game. You have to get lucky and find GB pieces to build GB that give you more Defend and Attack, then have the real estate available to build them. You can buy all these other buildings or posts that give you more Defend and Attack (if they're available in the Trader's Market. But of course you have to have enough coins to buy them. So if you're an expert in this game, tell me how you get more Attack and Defend without building whatever GB's provide those. I haven't come across any buildings that give me more. I gained more Attack with this Governor's Building in this last challenge (or whatever they call it). So where are the magic guidelines that tell you how much Attack?defend you need for each level? Are the resources supposed to just magically appear? No wait. Buy diamonds and just buy all those resources, right?

My friend, this is a game of patience (and luck of course). I am in LMA and I already have 165/130 attack and defense and that's not even bragworthy looking at players around me. I get that you are upset, I do too when I don't get the nice things I want haha.

A few things tho:

1. GB blueprints can be found by investing in your neighbours buildings. Also join a good guild and participate in 1.8/19 threads. Search on this forum and figure out what GBs are worth building. So it's not just pure luck, keen eye and smart investmenets and some socializing.

2. It is quite easy to fight 16 units with 25% a/d. In fact I just found 16 units with 83% attack bonus, in GE. And no I did not spend any diamonds in getting the BPs. Just a lot of time...some might say "wasted". But folks here might say "invested".

3. Continent map is the bare minimum. Take a look at GE or GbG, if you want to know what level of attack and defense bonuses are necessary.

4. For the guidelines, just google or search around in this forum. You are right, they dont appear magically, but if you ask nicely folks here will explain, as they did for me. And sometimes they write elaborate guides!

I would say stick in this era and work on building up your city. In fact you could make quite enough diamonds if you have a powerful city. Just pay for diamonds when you feel like you want to support the game. It's a game, so enjoy.

Lady Gato

Be nice, Deva :D. I just started this game in May. My specs are 47% atk, 61% def. I am in Iron Age. What gives me those stats? Attack - 27% Zeus lev 9, 17% Villa lev 9, 3% ancient face lev 2. Defense - 27% Zeus lev 9, Hippo Carceres 18%, Hippo Sphen 9%, 5% Statue of Honor lev 1, 2% Ancient Obelisk lev 1. I used diamonds in the soccer event only. I also have items I have picked up for my city's defending army. As well as some above age troops that a person in my guild helped me (by giving advice) to get. Obviously you are a new member to the forum -- there is a lot of information about how to play this game. And there is an official wiki page as well as a wiki that shall not be named page. And you tube videos on how to play this game. Hope you get to enjoying the game.

BruteForceAttack

I've already leveled those three GB. I have a Level now Governor's Mansion from the last event. I've purchased a couple of other buildings that gave me extra Attack/Defend, but haven't seen any other ways to gain attack/defend. That's the irony of this game. You can only go so far in a certain era before you run out of real estate. If you want to produce era goods, you have to capture them on the Continent Map. What's sad about that is you can't even find those. Yet another frustrating part of this Era is the requirements for the goods buildings. I get the Convenience Food piece on the map, build it, and OOOPS, if you want to produce the higher level of goods, you also need to have an operational Coffee building in your city. There's some of these Modern Era goods buildings where I never found the piece for other required building. So how does that work?

What level is your zeus/cdm/coa?

Have you heard of Recurring quests?

wolfhoundtoo

The post telling you to move up wasn't actually telling you to move up. It was sarcasm at best.

You've made a bunch of other posts that seem to indicate you are having some difficulties with various aspects of the game. Gaining blueprints for specific great buildings can take some time but it isn't difficult. You simply must aid a building of the correct era to have a shot at gaining a print from one of the Great Buildings from that era. You can also add forge points to great buildings to try and win them but if you aren't working with someone to do that then you are unlikely to get a blueprint unless you spend time going through the cities of people that have the great building you want and doing that regularly to see when you can grab a 4th or 5th place that pays a blueprint for cheap. You can also specifically search for players to add to your friend list of the right age (locating them can be difficult unless you happen to have a friend in the right era/and they are nice enough to give you some of the players names in their hood).

As others have mentioned there are some guides but if you don't want to go through the guides then you need to look for a guild that contains members that offers advice. That's even more difficult to find reliably unless you are willing to move guilds until you find one that works for you.

The most important thing for you to know is that you can't have everything in this game because you can't fit it all. You need to prioritize what you put in your city to make sure it's producing what you want and need to progress eventually. There are limits on the diamond expansions too so even having all of them that are available in the age that you are will still require you to make choices about what should be in your city. Take a look at your city and ask why is this in it? What do I get from it and does that help me with where I want to take this city?

Triopoly Champion

The post telling you to move up wasn't actually telling you to move up. It was sarcasm at best.

YYou can also add forge points to great buildings to try and win them but if you aren't working with someone to do that then you are unlikely to get a blueprint unless you spend time going through the cities of people that have the great building you want and doing that regularly to see when you can grab a 4th or 5th place that pays a blueprint for cheap. You can also specifically search for players to add to your friend list of the right age (locating them can be difficult unless you happen to have a friend in the right era/and they are nice enough to give you some of the players names in their hood).
I go to Global, Global Rank, then Great Buildings, search for The Arc level 40, scroll the pages up and down, able to friend them if they are willing to, however this feature is only available to the PC players not the mobiles.

Vger

With the 79% defense of the attacking army, it's likely with Zeus: 9, CoA: 8, CdM: 9 and a level 1 Sentinel Outpost.
Actually, the OP has: Zeus:10, COA:9, ND:10, OOD:10. Does have L9 Villa, Winners plaza and a few other event buildings giving a bit of boost.

But, and there is just no nice way to say this Theodosius: Your city is kind of a train wreck. You've made just about every classic newbie mistake there is, and you carried on making them all the way up to modern.
Tech rush: Yeah. You should still be in HMA or maybe CA. Modern is way beyond where you should be.
GBs: You have 4. Most people tear down OOD long before modern, and most know not to build ND. So you really only have 2.
Roads: Waaaay too many 2 lane roads, and parallel to 1 lane roads! Huge waste of space.
FP production: You don't have much. By modern, your daily FP production should be in the 100's. Are you even over 50?
Goods buildings: Too many. As BFA asked, do you do RQ's?
Happy buildings/decos: Major waste of space. Do you really need so many? 13 water towers? Really?
I could go on....

Honestly, you might be best off taking some time to learn a bit more about this game, then start over with a new city. Lots of good info here on the forum, and lots more on other sites we can't mention, but which aren't hard to find.
Maybe read up on Glarging. Lots of recent posts about that. It's a really good way to get a city up and running without spending any diamonds. In fact, you'll earn a bunch of free ones in the process.

Or find a mentor that will help you try to fix your city. But, honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

On a positive note: I think you have successfully learned the wrong way to play this game (which is what led you here, claiming its all a money grab).
Now you just need to learn the right way. It's actually fairly easy to play this game without ever spending a penny, if you have a bit of patience and take the time to learn. For everyone else, there's Mastercard.

DevaCat

My second sentence was indeed sarcasm, sparked by your statement that the only option was to move up an age. I usually try not to lay on the snark, but putting "money grab" in the title is kind of like waving a red flag.

It's clear that you're frustrated. When you have calmed, re-read the advice you've been given here, then ask focused questions. I guarantee it will improve your game.

Lord Pest

Fighting the map is easy. Rolling through VF using FE troops. What’s hard is waiting 29 hours to scout the next province. Now answer me this. How come back in Iron Age it took me 30 minutes to scout a province... and I was walking! Now in AF, OF, VF it’s 24 hours plus... and I’m in some fancy futuristic craft that goes who knows how fast? Apparently not as fast as walking.