• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Continent map progress and Recurring Quests

DeletedUser8152

Pretty sure you don't get the inda bonus quest line til you start scouting canada and mexico?

DeletedUser25920

From what Cosmic Raven said and sirblu confirmed, the Bonus quest appears when one is ready to start scouting the bonus regions (specifically when Garrington is acquired - rather than when Garrincton and/or Las Penas are acquired), rather than after one has started scouting them. It seems acquiring Garrington (only) is the trigger. The last few IndA Main story questlines by Myciena are called Towards Garrincton, Scout out, Garrincton Blues, Battle for Garrincton, Celebrate the victory/peace, and then the Main story quest line moves to PE tasks (eg asking to reach the next continent). So when Garrincton is acquired the bonus quest giver appears asking to "Scout the provinces north of Garrincton and south of Las Penas". So keeping clear of Garrincton, should ensure that the bonus quest giver does not appear. The question is, can one still scout the bonus south and north provinces without having conquered Garrincton? Looking at the borders of the provinces in the map it should be possible, but sometimes Bonus areas behave differently (like in LMA bonus area, not being able to scout the central province until all other provinces where acquired).

DeletedUser8152

Here is why my map looks like. I have not yet gotten the bonus quests.
screen.png

DeletedUser25920

Thanks, that is very interesting to know. And it is both good news and bad news :) Good that acquiring Garrincton does not necessarily trigger the bonus quest, but bad because now we are not sure what does :)
Sirblu mentioned earlier in this thread that he acquired Garrincton to get the expansion and then Myciena with the bonus quest appeared. Maybe there is more than 1 condition needed to be met in order to trigger the bonus quest line.
Maybe one has to have progressed sufficiently in the main story quest line (that asks to acquire Garrincton last, as there are previous quests asking to acquire Las Penas, Dragon city, St Marque etc).
Could you please tells us what your main quest currently is, and what are your side quests? And what provinces have you acquired so far?

Also I should add, that I checked again the quests listed in wikia, and it seems that once the bonus quest appears, it is not possible to complete that questline and get back the 2nd quest giver while in Colonial age, as the last quest is asking to research an IndA tech (Modern Roads).

DeletedUser8152

Could you please tells us what your main quest currently is, and what are your side quests? And what provinces have you acquired so far?
Currently I'm in PE. Main quest is "Follow the Lead," side quests are "Strike!" (Greva) and "World's Fair III" (Fernikus).

On IndA map, I've taken the provinces you see and everything east of them (in the main US area). On PE I've taken Havre and Uxrow.

DeletedUser25920

Thanks. If you are already in PE, then we can discard the possibility that you did not get the bonus questline because you have not advanced far enough in the main [IndA] questline :)

So in the main IndA continent you have acquired all provinces except Dragon city & Las Penas then. I see you have scouted Dragon city, and Las Penas (the one below dragon city), is not scouted.

Looking at the quests as described in wikia (not neccessarily 100% accurate, as some alternative quest versions may not be there) it seemed that the main story line required "acquiring Dragon city and St Marque", or only Acquiring Dragon city in an alternative version, before progressing. But I see you have completed the IndA main questline without acquiring Dragon city, so there must be more alternatives here...
If only I knew what magic combination (ie order of scouting/conquering) you used to be in such great position (ie having avoided that bonus area questline! :)

And the events coming up seem to always require scouting/acquiring provinces (at least for the good rewards), knowing what to do and how to plan ahead is getting quite tricky now.

DeletedUser8152

The IndA main questline is tricky since it has three different paths, depending what you do. So maybe it is something to do with that... I sided with the south and fought the north.

DeletedUser25920

I think Myciena's main questline with North/south peace/war options refers only to the main IndA (America) provinces, correct? (The bonus ones, 'Mexico' and 'Canada', go with the bonus quest which you never got [yet].
So you negotiated Desperation and battled against the other ones ('Northern ones')?
I have gotten Okahe by mixture of negotiation and fighting. (Depending on what the event quest was asking :)
I will look again at wikia at the quest descriptions (and conditions when there are alternatvie versions), to see what options I should be choosing. But it is difficult to do this with incomplete information (the quests in wikia may not have all the alternative and conditions for each)

DeletedUser8152

I don't think I had to negotiate any, I just didn't take Desperation until, I think, after Garrincton. At that point the main line had moved on to PE. Took Desperation later for event quests.

DeletedUser25920

Ok, many thanks for this info. One last question :) As you have not acquired Las Penas yet, is Nevarrone (the first province of 'Mexico') available for you to scout?
I see towards the north since you have Garrincton (and St Marque), you were able to start scouting the North bonus area (Canada).
I am thinking that since the first task of the bonus questline is to "Scout the provinces north of Garrincton and south of Las Penas", maybe it kicks in when one is able to scout both of these. But if you are not able to scout Nevarrone (because you do not have Las Penas yet), then maybe this is why you still have not seen the bonus quest line. (Just trying to guess at possibilities here :) after all, whatever the conditions/triggers are, they must be something reasonable/sensible)

DeletedUser8152

That's good thinking, but in fact I can scout the mexico areas

screen.png

I think those became available after I took Desperation, when I already had Garincton.

DeletedUser25920

duh, there goes my theory :)
I guess it is still possible to need both Garrincton and Las Penas acquired, for the bonus quest to kick in, but it makes less sense (since you are able to do the tasks the 1st bonus quest will ask, yet the bonus quest has still not appeared).
Or maybe the trigger is to have acquired all provinces of the main continent (so for you that would be Las Penas and Dragon city) for the bonus quest to kick in.
Or maybe to start scouting provinces both in the North and the South (you have only scouted a province in Canada so far).
If you scout/acquire more provinces in IndA during next events, could you please update us when/if the bonus quest appears? :)

DeletedUser8152

Sure. My guess is that it won't show up until I scout Las Penas. Which is convenient because I can just wait to do that until I've taken all the bonus areas at my leisure, then the bonus questline should all autocomplete :)

DeletedUser25920

Thanks. Let's see if our guess for Las Penas will turn out to be correct :)
Also so you know what to expect, according to the entries in wikia at least, the bonus quest line mainly asks to conquer/scout the each of the provinces, and gives 2 random rewards for each task. It also asks to pay some coins and supplies and to recruit some units, (so straightforward) and also to "Research a technology that unlocks a cultural building" (so need to have one of these available!). Also the last task is to Research Modern Roads (IndA tech) which for you is no problem (as you are in PE already). But for me is an extra reason I need to avoid the bonus quest giver, since I just got to CA and plan on staying here for some time :)

DeletedUser23444

I want to stay in CA for as long as possible, but also be able to do the events, so will be scouting/conquering when events require it.

Only scout/infiltrate/negotiate/conquer on the C map when an event makes you. And even then, only do so if the special building the event offers us is well worth the trouble. For example, the Checkmate Square in the Albert Einstein even was well worth scouting a province and researching a technology to score. However, we won't get nearly as much value (total value per tile) out of any of the Cherry Blossom buildings. Therefore, I would not waste either a C map province or technology on trying to score any of them.

None of the Cherry Garden buildings can be motivated or polished, which means they can all be plundered. And their base production=per-tile is vastly inferior to other special building you can score weekly from GE. The Cherry blossom buildings are only decent if you build all 5 of them in a fixed 5x5 configuration that will require 2 different 1-lane road connections on opposite sides. So long story short, this upcoming event is not worth wasting a tech or province on.

Looking at the IndA map (link to map from the guides section), I am wondering whether one can scout (and conquer) ahead in the North and South bonus regions IF Garrincton has NOT been acquired?

No, Garrincton must be conquered first, before you have access to the bonus areas. And as we already discussed in this topic, you want to delay that from happening as long as you want to remain in Colonial Age, which is the best Heavy Questing Age for FP production, as long as possible so you can level up GBs faster from the increased FP production.

So just back away from the C Cap before anyone gets hurt! If you want to fight, try plundering your hood, completing Level 4 GE (whcih pays pretty well), or GvG. But save your C Map for as long as you can so that you remain in CA as long as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25920

No Garrincton must be conquered first, and we already discussed you want to delay that as long as possible.

Just back away from the C map and no one gets hurt! If you want to fight, try plundering your hood, Level 4 GE, or GvG. Save your C map so you can remain in CA as long as possible.

But as Jaelis said (see his screenhsots further up) Garrincton can be conquered and the bonus quest does not show up (it seems this is as long as not all main IndA provinces are scouted/conquered). Of course, I will not rush ahead and only scout when needed, but I personally like the cherry garden set :) Just personal preference. I also completed the Einstein Event, but did not finish the Carnival one (I felt scouting was not worth it in that case).

And anyway I have no wish whatsoever to do unnecessary fighting :) I do not attack neighbours, do not do GvG, and only do GE but I negotiate because it is less time consuming. So basically I rarely fight, so it is pretty easy for me to resist scouting/conquering unless it is needed for a an event.

DeletedUser23444

That's good thinking, but in fact I can scout the mexico areas

screen.png

I think those became available after I took Desperation, when I already had Garincton.

How in creation did you manage this? We had players trying to get the bonus area they couldn't until after Garrincton. And for every single player we sent through Ind, Garrincton was the end of the 2nd recurring quest slot and we HAD to conquer all of Canada and Mexico to get the 2nd recurring quest back.

DeletedUser23444

But as Jaelis said (see his screenhsots further up) Garrincton can be conquered and the bonus quest does not show

Okay my guess (and that is all this is a guess), is that Jaelis must not have completed some Story Quest that is usually completed prior to conquering Garrincton.

In my guild we just recently learned that Story Quest progress (not just Side Quest Progress) is an input to receiving a bonus quest line.

DeletedUser25273

He said his story line is in PE now, so I am not sure that is the issue. He described his general progression on the story line (and the 3 different line you can follow through there may make a difference). May be being on the side of the south makes the Southern west coast territory the key.

DeletedUser25920

So in light of Jaelis crucial information, I have studied again the questlines listed in wikia, also paying more attention to the description texts, and noting which provinces are north/south and who owns them, what the quest are asking and the storyline they are giving, and I think the whole thing now makes a lot more sense. Understanding the context and the story line definitely helps. So I was also able to figure out where other alternative quest versions should exist (not listed in wikia, because the people who contributed there did not happen to get those versions).
Also it seems versions where one conquers the North provinces tend to be the ones missing. And looking at the map, I can see an explanation: once Okahe is conquered, the next options are New Cragshire (loot reward) or Desperation (expansion). So makes sense more people would go for the expansion. (ie start conquering the South).

So now my working my working hypothesis is that the bonus questline kicks in once all the main IndA provinces are acquired. So if Garrincton is acquired last, it will trigger the bonus quest. But if it not acquired last, then the bonus quest will not kick in when it is acquired (as per Jaelis experience). And looking at the logic & patterns of the questline, I am quite confident that one can do the same by approaching from the south route.

So options for getting to Garrincton (which seems to be needed to make the bonus areas scoutable) are:
from the North: Okahe->New Cragshire->Rantford->St Marque-> Garrincton
or from the south: Okahe->Desperation->Las Penas->Dragon city-> Garrincton
or from both simultaneously (ie conquering both North and South provinces).

And indeed Myciena's quesltine guides one through the above options.(One can do the IndA map while the main story quest is still of an earlier age, but I will follow Myciena's main questline. From all the quests listed, it seems can be completed while in CA which is good news for me :)

So my conclusion is that to obtain Garrincton and avoid the bonus questline, one should not leave it for last, but follow the north or south route. And if one wants to do the main story line quests at the same time, then avoid acquiring any of the provinces of the 'other side', because then the quest options will be affected. So in this case only conquer 'North' provinces OR only 'south' ones, but not a mixture of both (not until Garrincton has been acquired). Also provinces should not be done purely by negotiation, because then Myciena will be asking you to acquire both south and north provinces, rather than giving the option to stick to one route.