• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Continent map progress and Recurring Quests

DeletedUser8152

How in creation did you manage this? We had players trying to get the bonus area they couldn't until after Garrincton. And for every single player we sent through Ind, Garrincton was the end of the 2nd recurring quest slot and we HAD to conquer all of Canada and Mexico to get the 2nd recurring quest back.
Sorry I didn't keep notes on it :(

But I have definitely completed all the IndA storyline quests.

DeletedUser25920

An update, as I have now progressed to the IndA map on both of my cities. In my main city I wanted to avoid tirggering the bonus quest, so I could keep doing CA recurring quests with 2 slots for recurring quests. In my secondary city I did not mind too much loosing the 2nd recurring quest, so I used my secondary city as a test-city, by scouting and acquiring provinces and see when Myciena appears (and then know what to avoid in my main city.)

In both cases I followed the northern route (attacking and conquering the provinces of president cartwright), as that seemed to work based on what Jaeils had posted and the screenshot of his IndA map. I guess it should work similarly if one only attacks the provinces in the south (General Dee) instead, but I have not tested this.

Here is a link to the page that has all the maps, so one can see the province names.
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/world-map-revealed.4682/

And I have screenshot of the map in my main city (where I have not triggered the bonus quest line)
IndA Map.JPG

Things to note:
Conquering Garrincton enables scouting of the bonus provinces - as long as one has also conquered a province that borders said bonus province. Since Garrincton itself borders the leftmost north bonus province (Embruniez), conquering Garrincton enables one to start scouting the north bonus provinces.

-Start: Acquire Okahe
-Scout New Cragshire and Desperation (the main story quests asks to scout both, and it is safe to do so (as long as we don't attack and acquire both. I only attacked New Cragshire as I was following the northern route)
-Acquire New Cragshire
-Scout and acquire Rantford
-Scout and acquire St Marque (Note: although St Marque borders a north bonus province, this is not yet scoutable, as Garrincton is not acquired yet)
-Scout and acquire Garrincton (Now north bonus provinces become scoutable; the south bonus provinces are not yet scoutable, as we have not acquired a province that shares a border). Also a ship appears that allows us to go to PE continent if we want)
Now if events ask us to scout/acquire provinces we have all the north bonus ones to work with, and these will not trigger the Myciena bonus quest)

-Scout and acquire Desperation. The bonus quest line still does not appear, and now we can now also scout/acquire the south bonus provinces.

Now the only non-bonus provinces remaining are: Las Penas and Dragon city
I had made a guess a few months ago that maybe we need to acquire all the provinces to trigger the quest, but that is wrong. Because with next step (tested in my secondary city):
-Acquire Las Penas: Myciena's bonus quest appears! (dragon city still unscouted).

I followed the northern route to get to Garrincton. I am guessing that it should work similarly if someone follows the southern route instead, ie approach Garrincton from the south, and leave Rantford and St marque unscouted. If North/South work similarly, then again the bonus provinces will become scoutable (by taking Garrincton) and Myciena's bonus quest will not appear as long as one leaves Rantford ans St Marque alone. However, I have not tested this south route scenario, so this is just a guess. But attacking the north provinces as outlined above, works. (And one can at the end also acquire Desperation but not Las Penas or Dragon city).

Last edited by a moderator:

sirblu

First your housing. My advice is to find a guild mate or friends who owns Innovation Tower, and make arrangements to swap FPs with them and complete a set of BPs for Inno. Then find a player who produces CE goods and buy the goods from them. If you construct Inno Tower in Colonial Age, combined with however many SoKs, SoA, Kings, Queens, Ziggurats, or other highly-efficent coins production buildings you own, you will free up a lot of land used by inefficient housing, and you will never miss not having GRHs.

This is EXCELLENT advice - When I first read this I was in the HMA and had tons of residential Bldgs taking up lots of valuable space. I took this advice, got an Inno tower and sold all my residential Bldgs to free up space for more GB's and special bldgs. It is worth it's weight in gold. Thank you so much Cosmic Raven! Outstanding Advice!

DeletedUser31392

An update, as I have now progressed to the IndA map on both of my cities. In my main city I wanted to avoid tirggering the bonus quest, so I could keep doing CA recurring quests with 2 slots for recurring slots. In my secondary city I did not mind too much loosing the 2nd recurring quest, so I used my secondary city as a test-city, by scouting and acquiring provinces and see when Myciena appears (and then know what to avoid in my main city.)

In both cases I followed the northern route (attacking and conquering the provinces of president cartwright), as that seemed to work based on what Jaeils had posted and the screenshot of his IndA map. I guess it should work similarly if one only attacks the provinces in the south (General Dee) instead, but I have not tested this.

Here is a link to the page that has all the maps, so one can see the province names.
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/world-map-revealed.4682/

And I have screenshot of the map in my main city (where I have not triggered the bonus quest line)
View attachment 5941

Things to note:
Conquering Garrincton enables scouting of the bonus provinces - as long as one has also conquered a province that borders said bonus province. Since Garrincton itself borders the leftmost north bonus province (Embruniez), conquering Garrincton enables one to start scouting the north bonus provinces.

-Start: Acquire Okahe
-Scout New Cragshire and Desperation (the main story quests asks to scout both, and it is safe to do so (as long as we don't attack and acquire both. I only attacked New Cragshire as I was following the northern route)
-Acquire New Cragshire
-Scout and acquire Rantford
-Scout and acquire St Marque (Note: although St Marque borders a north bonus province, this is not yet scoutable, as Garrincton is not acquired yet)
-Scout and acquire Garrincton (Now north bonus provinces become scoutable; the south bonus provinces are not yet scoutable, as we have not acquired a province that shares a border). Also a ship appears that allows us to go to PE continent if we want)
Now if events ask us to scout/acquire provinces we have all the north bonus ones to work with, and these will not trigger the Myciena bonus quest)

-Scout and acquire Desperation. The bonus quest line still does not appear, and now we can now also scout/acquire the south bonus provinces.

Now the only non-bonus provinces remaining are: Las Penas and Dragon city
I had made a guess a few months ago that maybe we need to acquire all the provinces to trigger the quest, but that is wrong. Because with next step (tested in my secondary city):
-Acquire Las Penas: Myciena's bonus quest appears! (dragon city still unscouted).

I followed the northern route to get to Garrincton. I am guessing that it should work similarly if someone follows the southern route instead, ie approach Garrincton from the south, and leave Rantford and St marque unscouted. If North/South work similarly, then again the bonus provinces will become scoutable (by taking Garrincton) and Myciena's bonus quest will not appear as long as one leaves Rantford ans St Marque alone. However, I have not tested this south route scenario, so this is just a guess. But attacking the north provinces as outlined above, works. (And one can at the end also acquire Desperation but not Las Penas or Dragon city).

Okay so I read this over several times to make sure I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you went in this order to avoid triggering the Bonus Quest:

Acquire New Cragshire
Acquire St Marques
Acquire Rantford
Acquire Garrincton
Unlocks the North Bonus map but not the bonus questline?

And then you said you Acquired Desperation after all that without triggering the Bonus line as well. Does acquiring that unlock the southern bonus area then too?

And then theoretically if you went Desperation, Las Penas, Dragon City, and then finally Garrincton it would unlock both north and south maps without unlocking the bonus line taking away the second recurring slot.

Can anyone confirm this second path to be true? I would rather go the southern Route as I wouldn't have to come back to finish Desperation which would add more to my cost of unlocking both expansion slots in the IndA map. I'm an HMA player still so obtaining those IndA goods takes a lot longer than what I went through to finish the CA portion of the map.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer these questions!

DeletedUser25920

Okay so I read this over several times to make sure I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you went in this order to avoid triggering the Bonus Quest:

Acquire New Cragshire
Acquire St Marques
Acquire Rantford
Acquire Garrincton
Unlocks the North Bonus map but not the bonus questline?

Correct, with the difference that Rantford comes before St Marque (look at the map to see this).

And then you said you Acquired Desperation after all that without triggering the Bonus line as well. Does acquiring that unlock the southern bonus area then too?

Yes, acquiring Desperation after the series above, does not trigger the bonus questline and makes the south bonus province scoutable (starting with Santa Catalina if I remember correctly). As I mentioned in my earlier post in order to scout the bonus provinces you need to: (acquire Garrincton AND also have conquered a province that borders said bonus province). Acquiring Desperation fulfills the 2nd condition for the south bonus provinces.

And then theoretically if you went Desperation, Las Penas, Dragon City, and then finally Garrincton it would unlock both north and south maps without unlocking the bonus line taking away the second recurring slot.

Can anyone confirm this second path to be true? I would rather go the southern Route as I wouldn't have to come back to finish Desperation which would add more to my cost of unlocking both expansion slots in the IndA map. I'm an HMA player still so obtaining those IndA goods takes a lot longer than what I went through to finish the CA portion of the map.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer these questions!

The southern route is theoretical as I have not tested it and do not know anyone that has. I followed the Northern route as I knew that would work based on what Jaelis had posted. The Northern/Southern options are similar and symmetrical, so it stands to reason that they would work in a similar way; however we do know exactly what conditions the developers have programmed in these quests (maybe they are not logical/sensible :) . So that is just a guess and has not been tested/verified as far as I know. If you want to be safe and avoid nasty surprises, go North :)

Also the cost of acquiring Desperation is nothing compared to the cost of acquiring the bonus provinces which cost a lot of IndA goods and have high attack bonus (from 50%, to 120%). I would not advise to attempt them unless you are at least at CA and have 90% attack bonus (but CR's HQS does not allow Zeus-CoA-CdM, so I do not know how this would be done)

You can check the wiki to know what you are up against, for example:
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Embruniez

If you are doing recurring quests and do not want to progress to a next era until you are ready, then do not progress on the map unless you have to (ie asked by an event quest; and even these now have alternatives). (And also keep the story quest up to date as much possible). The IndA map lasted me for more than 7 months; I am now at IndA doing recurring quests and still have 3 bonus provinces (and 2 normal IndA provinces), so they can last me until the Christmas event if I want to :) (and still no Myciena bonus quest. I will trigger it (acquire Las Penas) when I have acquired all bonus provinces.

DeletedUser31392

Correct, with the difference that Rantford comes before St Marque (look at the map to see this).

Yes, acquiring Desperation after the series above, does not trigger the bonus questline and makes the south bonus province scoutable (starting with Santa Catalina if I remember correctly). As I mentioned in my earlier post in order to scout the bonus provinces you need to: (acquire Garrincton AND also have conquered a province that borders said bonus province). Acquiring Desperation fulfills the 2nd condition for the south bonus provinces.

The southern route is theoretical as I have not tested it and do not know anyone that has. I followed the Northern route as I knew that would work based on what Jaelis had posted. The Northern/Southern options are similar and symmetrical, so it stands to reason that they would work in a similar way; however we do know exactly what conditions the developers have programmed in these quests (maybe they are not logical/sensible :) . So that is just a guess and has not been tested/verified as far as I know. If you want to be safe and avoid nasty surprises, go North :)

Also the cost of acquiring Desperation is nothing compared to the cost of acquiring the bonus provinces which cost a lot of IndA goods and have high attack bonus (from 50%, to 120%). I would not advise to attempt them unless you are at least at CA and have 90% attack bonus (but CR's HQS does not allow Zeus-CoA-CdM, so I do not know how this would be done)

You can check the wiki to know what you are up against, for example:
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Embruniez

If you are doing recurring quests and do not want to progress to a next era until you are ready, then do not progress on the map unless you have to (ie asked by an event quest; and even these now have alternatives). (And also keep the story quest up to date as much possible). The IndA map lasted me for more than 7 months; I am now at IndA doing recurring quests and still have 3 bonus provinces (and 2 normal IndA provinces), so they can last me until the Christmas event if I want to :) (and still no Myciena bonus quest. I will trigger it (acquire Las Penas) when I have acquired all bonus provinces.

Whoops! Didn't notice I had those 2 backwards. If no one else knows for certain I will do exactly as you have said here to be safe.

I do still have a handful of territories still available on the first map, and I do mix the alternate options when doing the last few events since they started doing those. I look ahead and decide which ones would be more feasible with the goods I have in my bank.

I just switched over to about 90% of the CR method, my city layout was not ideal and I had a ton of event buildings. I kept the ones that had the best overall benefits, taking up the least space and getting the most bang for my buck so to speak. Since I don't use troops (aside from unattached from GE, and only use them in GE on specific encounters to save on goods) I save more space/population than what CR used in his methods not building barracks. And I do have CoA/Zues/CDM all at level 5, as well as a level 10 Arc.

Like I said I had done methods similar to what was in his guide before finding it, but never on the scale he had recommended. I had different ideas of what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go with things. I'm still producing roughly the same amount of goods/day using my variation of the HQS, and I have only just built my CF so it's still not past level 1.

In retrospect I probably should have built CF before going after Arc, but I have one and it helped level itself (a few of my guild mates were more then happy to spend their packs on the swaps for it, I leveled it rather quick. CF won't go as fast however since most have one, whereas my Arc is the only one in the guild)

Since I advanced so far into the map I do have more expansions than most players that would follow that guide 100%. Plus getting the prints and goods for Arc helped boost my medal count. According to my achievements I have 46 expansion, 12 I know are Victory (halfway to my next already. Arc is doing its job. Can't wait to combine the CF level 10 boost with it), 5 are Premium, 17 from Tech (saving the last 1 for event parameters since it's so far down, I skipped the top section when going from EMA to HMA since I was mostly troops and culture that I don't use) so 12 from Cmap. I only wish I would have kept it more rectangular to make things easier (went to the northern portion, but I use it the best I can by sticking larger GBs there)

DeletedUser31392

Looking at my map again I have the majority of the bonus section between LMA and Col stil available for events. I feel like I already did the Bonus Questline for that portion though since I moved so far in the story. I'm at the "Beware of the Wizard" story quest that asks I build a Tower Ruin and since that's further down the tech line and in LMA I had stopped doing those about 2 months ago.

Glaun

Of all the threads about FoE this one captured my attention. It reads like a detective novel. We start with a compelling question that need to be answered, but the answer is hidden by the FoE coders and only to be found behind a wall of Wiki articles, hints from the game messages, and a great deal in intuitive research and clever, logical problem solving by some really bright folks. Lady Egwene led the charge, followed by Cosmic Raven, Mek2, Jaelis and Nomad.
This thread is a prime example of what can be accomplished when good minds discuss, not argue, and together resolve an issue.
And, what is grand, is that I came across this thread in 2017 just as I stepped on shore of the new continent being discussed.
Nice Work, folks.

DeletedUser28765

What a great thread! I'm also one of those players who is hanging back (currently HMA) and avoiding tech and map advances unless needed for a very tempting event prize.

I've decided it's time to advance to LMA, and I want to figure out the best series of tech and campaign map progress in order to set me up for a good long stay in LMA. I thrive on recurring quests and I want to make sure I don't do anything to lose them. Also if there's any way to get a 2nd recurring quest giver, that would be excellent.

I think I understand -- from previous comments here -- that if I conquer the last LMA province, that will open up the Bonus area on the map between LMA and Colonial. And it sounds like it's a good idea to work through some quests (including things like "research a cultural building") while I'm finishing up the HMA tech, so that I don't get stuck on them later.

So my question is -- how far is it safe to advance on the campaign map, without getting stuck on a quest that requires tech that's deep into LMA? (I'm willing to enter LMA, but I want to move through it very slowly and save tech advancements for events that require them.)

And my second question is -- will that Bonus area on the map (the one between LMA and Colonial) give me an opportunity to access a second set of recurring quests? And if so, how can I keep them around and not accidentally lose access to them?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Salsuero

So my question is -- how far is it safe to advance on the campaign map, without getting stuck on a quest that requires tech that's deep into LMA? (I'm willing to enter LMA, but I want to move through it very slowly and save tech advancements for events that require them.)

The one that is likely to screw you if you aren't ready to get to it would be the Tower Ruin quest. But that's only a story lock and not a recurring quest lock. Still, I've heard nightmares about people getting locked out of literally 3 questlines... and I'm proceeding cautiously. I'm also in HMA and have scouted and conquered a couple CA sectors, as well as having scouted, but not yet conquered sectors in the bonus area. I'm trying to not go too far because I don't wanna accidentally lock anything since I'm not yet interested in leaving HMA.

DeletedUser28765

Is there any way to avoid the tower ruin quest? That's where I'm stuck in my other world (also HMA), but I don't mind so long as I have access to my beloved recurring quests. :)

DeletedUser31392

Is there any way to avoid the tower ruin quest? That's where I'm stuck in my other world (also HMA), but I don't mind so long as I have access to my beloved recurring quests. :)

No it’s part of the Story Quest line and the only way to build one is to research the Tech. Sorry :(

DeletedUser25920

What a great thread! I'm also one of those players who is hanging back (currently HMA) and avoiding tech and map advances unless needed for a very tempting event prize.

I've decided it's time to advance to LMA, and I want to figure out the best series of tech and campaign map progress in order to set me up for a good long stay in LMA. I thrive on recurring quests and I want to make sure I don't do anything to lose them. Also if there's any way to get a 2nd recurring quest giver, that would be excellent.

I think I understand -- from previous comments here -- that if I conquer the last LMA province, that will open up the Bonus area on the map between LMA and Colonial. And it sounds like it's a good idea to work through some quests (including things like "research a cultural building") while I'm finishing up the HMA tech, so that I don't get stuck on them later.

And my second question is -- will that Bonus area on the map (the one between LMA and Colonial) give me an opportunity to access a second set of recurring quests? And if so, how can I keep them around and not accidentally lose access to them?

Thanks for any help or advice!

This was discussed in the “Cosmic Raven’s Guide to Heavy Questing” thread. I had specifically made a post that listing the LMA story quests and noted where the 2nd quest giver appeared and when the bonus quest appeared (taking over this 2nd recurring quest slot). But that thread is very long and it is difficult to find it now.

In summary:

One quest giver slot is always occupied by the story quest. You never lose that, and the quests there are sequential and non-abortable. So if you do not finish your current story quest you can never advance to the next. These quests often involve conquering and scouting provinces (among other things).

At HMA you have 1 other quest slot: side quest or recurring quest (if you have finished the side quests of that age).

At some point in LMA (and this depends on your story quest progress) you will get a 3rd quest giver (so a 2nd side/recurring quest). So if you complete or abort any side quests given you end up with two recurring quests givers.

But careful, when you complete the very next story quest task, then the LMA bonus quest appears, and this replaces one of your side quest givers (so you end up with only 1 recurring quest). (Note that bonus quests are also non-abortable)

When you complete the LMA bonus questline, the bonus quest giver turns back to side quest/recurring quest giver, and you again have 2 recurring quests.

So the sweet spot is to pause the story quest at the correct task, so you can have 2 recurring quests without having to complete the LMA bonus quest (which involves conquering the whole of the LMA bonus map).

I think the relevant story quest is this:

Buy it Free ( Acquire Ravens Creek, and Pay 20,000 coins, or have 10 units)

Once you complete this you will get a 2nd side quest giver (which you can turn to recurring quest giver by completing/aborting the tasks)

But the next one:

The fair maiden/The Damsel ( Gather 40,000 coins, and Gather 40,000 supplies)

If you click ‘collect’ here your 2nd side quest giver will turn into the bonus quest giver. Note that as long as you do not complete this story quest, you can continue conquering LMA bonus provinces. The bonus quest giver does not depend on your progress on the bonus map; it will be triggered when you complete the story quest "the fair maiden". So if you do not complete this, the bonus quest giver stays away. (in one my cities I am sitting with this task completed and uncollected for 2-3 months :) )

These two story quests above are the 2 last ones in LMA (the next ones ask you to scout CA provinces). So they are quite at the end of the LMA. But the story quests mostly ask you to conquer LMA (non-bonus) provinces. Tech-wise you only have to go as far as the tower ruin tech (there are some other quests that ask you to research a cultural or military tech, so better check the list of LMA story quests (can be found in wikia) so you can plan your research. eg wait and research an LMA military technology only when the story quest asks you to)

Either way I would advise to check out the LMA story quests in wikia, so you can have a look at what the tasks entail and in what order.

Salsuero

But the next one:

The fair maiden/The Damsel ( Gather 40,000 coins, and Gather 40,000 supplies)

If you click ‘collect’ here your 2nd side quest giver will turn into the bonus quest giver. Note that as long as you do not complete this story quest, you can continue conquering LMA bonus provinces. The bonus quest giver does not depend on your progress on the bonus map; it will be triggered when you complete the story quest "the fair maiden". So if you do not complete this, the bonus quest giver stays away. (in one my cities I am sitting with this task completed and uncollected for 2-3 months :) )

To be clear... you mean just don't collect the resulting reward and let it sit there, green checkmark and all, indefinitely -- until you are ready to or have already completed the LMA bonus map, right? Because 40k in coins and supplies would happen for me in a single collection. So just leave it there... don't collect it. Right?

DeletedUser25920

To be clear... you mean just don't collect the resulting reward and let it sit there, green checkmark and all, indefinitely -- until you are ready to or have already completed the LMA bonus map, right? Because 40k in coins and supplies would happen for me in a single collection. So just leave it there... don't collect it. Right?

Correct. A quest is completed (and the next quest appears) once you click collect on the reward. Since this one just tells you to collect coins and supplies sooner or later the green bars will be filled. But as long as you do not collect the reward (8 silk and 8 talc), the quest will just sit there. IF you collect it, then you get the next story quest AND once you complete (ie collect) either of your side/recurring quests that side quest slot will turn into Myciena's LMA bonus quest. So you can leave this story quest uncollected for as long as you want to avoid the bonus quest appearing (and hence loosing one of the recurring quests slots)

Salsuero

Correct. A quest is completed (and the next quest appears) once you click collect on the reward. Since this one just tells you to collect coins and supplies sooner or later the green bars will be filled. But as long as you do not collect the reward (8 silk and 8 talc), the quest will just sit there. IF you collect it, then you get the next story quest AND once you complete (ie collect) either of your side/recurring quests that side quest slot will turn into Myciena's LMA bonus quest. So you can leave this story quest uncollected for as long as you want to avoid the bonus quest appearing (and hence loosing one of the recurring quests slots)

Excellent. I assume that once you finish the bonus area, those quests would pretty much autocomplete all the way through, right? So you wouldn't have to lose recurring quests as long as you finish the bonus area first, right? Or are the bonus area quests also "collection" type quests?

DeletedUser25920

Excellent. I assume that once you finish the bonus area, those quests would pretty much autocomplete all the way through, right? So you wouldn't have to lose recurring quests as long as you finish the bonus area first, right? Or are the bonus area quests also "collection" type quests?

The LMA bonus quest line is mainly about scouting and conquering the LMA bonus provinces but it does have some other tasks thrown in (gather coins/supplies, build residential buildings, gain happiness, recruit some units etc). But nothing too arduous, and I think nothing that would require you to have researched further than the tower ruin.

Here is the first quest of the bonus questline
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/A_Shadow_from_the_Past

You can click next quest (and then next and next etc) to see all the tasks (it quite a lengthy questline, more than 30 quests in total I think). But the most difficult/time consuming tasks are the scouting and conquering provinces, so if you have already done that it should be plain sailing and it will not take you that long to complete. (plus these quests also give you rewards).

DeletedUser25920

Regarding obtaining the second quest giver in LMA, here is screenshot of my LMA city in beta (hence also the daily challenge quest giver there).

LMA 2nd quest giver.JPG

[Edited to add: I normally do not pay attention to the task title and text, but I actually I see here that this is 'warning' you that Myciena (who gives the LMA bonus quest tasks) is about to appear. The title is the Fair Maiden (ie Myciena) and the text is telling us she is about to make an appearance. The full sentence in the text above "She will hold audience with you shortly". So if you want to postpone this audience do not collect the reward :) ]

DeletedUser28765

Thank you for the great info! So what triggers the quest A Shadow From the Past? Do you get it after scouting or conquering a specific province? (The wikia page doesn't list a predecessor to the quest.)

DeletedUser25920

Thank you for the great info! So what triggers the quest A Shadow From the Past? Do you get it after scouting or conquering a specific province? (The wikia page doesn't list a predecessor to the quest.)

As this is the first quest of the LMA bonus questline it has no predecessor. As for what triggers it, you need to complete a specific story questline; see posts above for details.