• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Continent map progress and Recurring Quests

DeletedUser28765

Oh, I get it. I thought you were saying Shadow from the Past was the one to avoid. But I see it now, you explained above that Buy It Free is the last "safe" quest. That's amazingly helpful, exactly what I needed to know, and there's no way I could have guessed it, especially since the quest that follows would get completed on its own very quickly. So again, Thank you!! :)

DeletedUser27023

It’s also worth noting that the quests leading up to the Fair Maiden quest finish very quickly. I was nearly 10 quests away and wasn’t paying attention and nearly completed the Fair Maiden quest without realizing it. I had intended to stop one quest before because on an iPad it’s very easy to inadvertently complete a story quest when the intent is to complete a recurring quest. Now with the story quest complete, one wrong move and I’ll lose 1 recurring quest giver. Highly recommend stopping at least 1 back.

DeletedUser29218

I remember a forum user said they had 2 bonus quests active at once. The 2nd bonus quests (which was from the same questline if I recall right) was on the slot that is normally used for recurring and side quests. Has anyone figured what triggers this weird behaviour?

Now that Lady Egwene confirmed you can advance in the continent map while keeping some provinces free if you follow a "path", I'd like to advance 2-4 eras for extra expansions and higher era soliders. But I don't wanna risk getting out of RQ when doing so. At the moment I am in HMA era and HMA map with one RQ slot.

DeletedUser25920

I remember a forum user said they had 2 bonus quests active at once. The 2nd bonus quests (which was from the same questline if I recall right) was on the slot that is normally used for recurring and side quests. Has anyone figured what triggers this weird behaviour?

Now that Lady Egwene confirmed you can advance in the continent map while keeping some provinces free if you follow a "path", I'd like to advance 2-4 eras for extra expansions and higher era soliders. But I don't wanna risk getting out of RQ when doing so. At the moment I am in HMA era and HMA map with one RQ slot.

First I just wanted to clarify that there is no specific slot that is ‘normally’ used for recurring/side quests. Both non-story slots are the same and work in the same way; used for side quests when such are available, and if all available side quests are completed or aborted then they are used for recurring quests. And when a bonus questline is triggered (either LMA or IndA), it will take over either of these two slots (whichever slot you complete its current quest first, it will become a bonus quest). And if one also triggers the other bonus quest, then it will take over the 2nd slot as well.

Someone who had posted here in the forums about having two bonus quests, had 1 LMA bonus quest and 1 IndA bonus quest. (Having triggered both). A guildmate of mine, and even me in one city, had temporarily 2 LMA bonus quests at some point, but by completing one of them, one slot became again side/recurring quest (not sure if this was a glitch or not).

But as in HMA you only have 1 slot (2nd slot becomes available in LMA, around the time you conquer the 1st LMA bonus province and complete the relevant story quest), all this would not apply. You can’t trigger the LMA bonus quest while having only 1 slot, as getting the 2nd slot/questgiver happens first (before LMA bonus questline is triggered). If you avoid that (story quest in still in HMA) and you went to the IndA map with only 1 slot available, then I do not know what would happen when the IndA bonus questline is triggered. Either the bonus quest will take over the single existing slot, or a 2nd slot may temporarily appear with the bonus questline. But as I do not know of anyone in the IndA map with their story quest still in HMA, this is not tested.

However, all this would be a moot point, because if you wanted to advance on the continent map and also get the higher age units, then you cannot stay in HMA, but need to progress tech-wise (up to Colonial age). You do not get units just by conquering a province, but by completing the relevant story quest. And to complete the relevant story quest you need to have advanced in age (as previous quests ask for things that depend on you having researched further).

I think In CA map you can get 2 musketeers while being in LMA. But to get the rest of CA units given as rewards you need to be in CA (because of things like ‘Build 2 CA decorations’).

In IndA map you can get the IndA units if you are still in CA (but there are things like ‘Build a military building from the Industrial Age or research a military technology’, which may also turn out to be problematic).

You can go to the wikia site and see all the story quests (what they ask and what is the reward). This way you can see in advance what is and what is not possible.

DeletedUser29218

You can’t trigger the LMA bonus quest while having only 1 slot, as getting the 2nd slot/questgiver happens first (before LMA bonus questline is triggered). If you avoid that (story quest in still in HMA) and you went to the IndA map with only 1 slot available, then I do not know what would happen when the IndA bonus questline is triggered. ested.

When you say "happens first" you mean having the 2nd quest slot is a requisite to unlock the LMA questline, correct?

If understood it right, this means that, as long as I don't do any story quests (I'm at the beginning of EMA storyline) :
I could conquer everything available in HMA, LMA and CA to take the expansions without any risk.
We do not know what would happen in Ind Age. But, unlike LMA questline, bonus questline in Ind. Age will trigger even if my storyline is behind.
I won't be getting higher era units.

DeletedUser25920

When you say "happens first" you mean having the 2nd quest slot is a requisite to unlock the LMA questline, correct?

If understood it right, this means that, as long as I don't do any story quests (I'm at the beginning of EMA storyline) :
I could conquer everything available in HMA, LMA and CA to take the expansions without any risk.
We do not know what would happen in Ind Age. But, unlike LMA questline, bonus questline in Ind. Age will trigger even if my storyline is behind.
I won't be getting higher era units.

Re: "happens first". Yes. Completing a specific story quest gives you the 2nd side quest giver, and completing the very next story quest, one of the two side quest givers becomes the LMA bonus quest (Myciena). See details on previous page of this thread (post #53) for the quest names and descriptions. (so it is not possible to have Myciena's LMA bonus quest as your only one side/bonus quest giver)

You could conquer the higher age provinces while at HMA, but it is more difficult without the higher age units. In my humble opinion easier way to get more space, is to progress the research to LMA (plus you can get 2nd quest giver, which is very very useful).

How the bonus quest is triggered in IndA (the conditions needed) is described earlier in this thread. I do not know of a specific example of someone who tried it while in HMA (and storyline at EMA), but it works for storyline being in CA, or IndA or PE (so I do not believe the story line progress is relevant here; it is triggered when you have acquired a specific set of IndA provinces. But as with everything, if someone has not tested it then we have no actual proof of how it would work in that specific scenario).

Also there is the EMA bonus questline. But that appears with an additional (2nd) quest giver, and when the EMA bonus questline is completed, that quest-giver disappears.

Glaun

Should I age jump from Colonial to Industrial?
Facts: I have been using HQ (Heavy Questing) successfully for five months in CA. I have available the two RQ (Recurring Quests) slots open and have been camping CA to level my GBs. I was planning to stay in CA for a few more months until I got all my GB to 10 and planted my Arc. I have a rogue army with three Ind E army units with which I am happy.
Problem: My story line is locked. (I am required to complete an Ind E tech to move on in the Story line.) The only way to resume the use of my story line is to move to Ind E, which I want to avoid for a few months.
Question: How much am I losing out by not running the story line? I do know that by moving to Ind E now I will lose my RQs for a while as well as significantly increase the difficulty of my game progress. (Higher enemy strength, loss of "finish two" etc)

Do you think the benefit of being able to start up my Story line is worth the burdens of moving up to the next age.

Thanks for you comments,
Glaun

DeletedUser31592

Facts: I have been using HQ (Heavy Questing) successfully for five months in CA. I have available the two RQ (Recurring Quests) slots open and have been camping CA to level my GBs. I was planning to stay in CA for a few more months until I got all my GB to 10 and planted my Arc. I have a rogue army with three Ind E army units with which I am happy.
Problem: My story line is locked. (I am required to complete an Ind E tech to move on in the Story line.) The only way to resume the use of my story line is to move to Ind E, which I want to avoid for a few months.
Question: How much am I losing out by not running the story line? I do know that by moving to Ind E now I will lose my RQs for a while as well as significantly increase the difficulty of my game progress. (Higher enemy strength, loss of "finish two" etc)

Do you think the benefit of being able to start up my Story line is worth the burdens of moving up to the next age.

Thanks for you comments,
Glaun

I have not completed a story quest in months. I know I haven't touched it since at least August. It is there. It will still be there when I get to it. The one I am on even pays diamonds- I love watching the number of diamonds increase every time I level up my CF.

So, to answer your question, I would never, ever let a story quest dictate my game. (Unless I was locked out of RQs that is.)

Salsuero

I'm in HMA and I'm finally stuck on the famous/infamous "build a tower ruin" story quest... and I'm just fine with that. My only concern is in losing the recurring quests and I believe this thread has helped me to know where exactly not to progress so as to not have that happen, allowing me to stay in HMA for as long as I decide to.

DeletedUser29352

Thanks for you comments,
Glaun
Once you are used to having 2 quests HQ is torture with only one slot. It is very inefficient. The second slot helps so much. I would keep both.

DeletedUser25920

Thanks for you comments,
Glaun

Sounds that you are doing very nicely (2 RQ slots, have IndA military units). If you want to stay longer in CA, there is no need to progress (tech-wise) to IndA yet.
Normally, I would suggest not to leave the story quest too far behind, but yours seems at IndA anyway, so that is ok. Normally it is possible to complete the whole IndA storyline while remaining at CA. (Seems you have a story quest like: "Recruit any 3 units from IndA/Build a military building from the Industrial Age OR research any military technology" and if you do not have a military tech of CA left you cannot do the quest.) But there is no need really to move the story quest ahead if you would like to remain at CA for a while longer. Just be careful how you conquer provinces in IndA map, so that you avoid triggering the IndA bonus questline, which would take away one of your 2 RQ slots. (Details in earlier posts in this thread). But the indA bonus provinces and even the PE ones give you plenty of provinces to scout/conquer for events, while remaining at CA. (Unless an event ask you to research a tech and you do not have any left in CA and you really want to do the event. But that is a different problem. But as far as the story quest is concerned there is no reason to advance to IndA before you want to. you can just leave the storyline paused)

Glaun

Another question raised by the above answers.
If I should decide to jump to IndE, I know that I will lose the second RQ for a while. In the CA I could obtain both RQs by exhausting the side quests and winding up with two RQ windows. I am assuming that if I should jump to IndE now, that I would be able to eventually open the two RQ windows. Am I correct? If not, I will absolutely camp in CA. If I can acquire the two RQs in the IndE then I can decide if to jump.
Thanks, Glaun

Lady Egwane: Your answer came in while I was typing this so I didn't see it till after I posted. Your answer was spot on and very helpful. I have tried to carefully follow the navigation instructions thru the Northern route of the IndE map. So far so good. Still have my two RQs from the CA and am playing in the big boy IndE tower with my rogues+3 IndE troops.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29352

You get your second reoccurring swap back when you finish Canada and Mexico.

*pow*

Since most of this thread and others are about people having gone too far on the C-map, I was unable to find a definitive answer for those of us that haven't gone too far. I'm hoping someone can help.

I've been in HMA for about 3 months and managed to keep my C-map/Tech progress from advancing too far. I have 1 province left on the C-map, Moravaria and am on 15/18 in the HMA story quests.

I'm headed out of HMA, with a short stop in LMA on my way to CA. The only small speed bump is "Poison in the Well" to unlock a cultural building. Ideally that should have been done in HMA with Medicine, but I researched Medicine to get to Heavy Siege Engines a while back. However, I can take care of that very early on in LMA with Cartography.

As long as I keep tech & story quests about even up to the last quest in LMA, "The Damsel," and move into CA up to Clockmaking, will I get and retain the second recurring quest slot? And can I do that without having to conquer the LMA bonus content?

I'd really like to be able to hold on to as many provinces as I can for the long stay in CA.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DeletedUser25920

As long as I keep tech & story quests about even up to the last quest in LMA, "The Damsel," and move into CA up to Clockmaking, will I get and retain the second recurring quest slot? And can I do that without having to conquer the LMA bonus content?

This has been answered many times. Yes, to both questions.

See screenshot below. Note that "The Damsel" and "The Fair Maiden" are alternative names for the same quest.

CA - recurring quests.JPG

Also see below, the LMA bonus provinces have not been completed yet. The LMA bonus questline (Myciena) has not yet appeared (as story quest is paused at the Fair Maiden/The Damsel)

CA - recurring quests - LMA bonus.JPG

*pow*

Ok awesome. I can see now in the screenshot you're in CA there. The other screenshot of The Damsel/Fair Maiden didn't show an age. I just wanted to be 100% sure. Thank you so much, @Lady Egwene.

DeletedUser32439

i got the 2nd recurring quest, but accidently completed the fair maiden...and lost it.
so i had to do the bonus quest line to get it back...everyone says it's easy, but i say no.

the LMA bonus area needs 4 era goods, ...getting 100 limestone is so a pain, then 50 lumber...etc.
i started with 800+ of eacg goods from HMA , and now they are all down in the low 400's....trying to swap down for lower age goods.

of course,,,i negotiate everything, so for people fighting, it's probably easy.

DeletedUser33003

Here's a question........why do we do those quests, outside of the rewards provided? I keep taking over land, and yet, I get no value from the land besides boosts......when do I get to put my real estate agents to work?

wolfhoundtoo

Here's a question........why do we do those quests, outside of the rewards provided? I keep taking over land, and yet, I get no value from the land besides boosts......when do I get to put my real estate agents to work?

You get rewards for taking the provinces. Some of those sectors give boosts, some give expansions and others give resources for completing them (coins/supplies). There are of course other items given as well i'm not bothering to list them.

You will NEVER be able to build on the continental map. To increase your city you have to buy expansions.....which open up in multiple ways:

1) Tech. Once you've researched a tech that gives an expansion you will of course have to pay to unlock that expansion and add it to your city.
2) Continental map. Once you've conquered the province that gives an expansion......you have to go buy it.
3) Diamonds. Up to Future era you can pay for 2 expansions that you can only get via diamonds per age. I'm not sure if you can buy more than 2 in artic or ocean as I've not entered those ages and OF has I think 5 parts with a 6 to soon come out.
4) Medals. You can get 'victory expansions' by paying medals.

DeletedUser33003

You get rewards for taking the provinces. Some of those sectors give boosts, some give expansions and others give resources for completing them (coins/supplies). There are of course other items given as well i'm not bothering to list them.

You will NEVER be able to build on the continental map. To increase your city you have to buy expansions.....which open up in multiple ways:

1) Tech. Once you've researched a tech that gives an expansion you will of course have to pay to unlock that expansion and add it to your city.
2) Continental map. Once you've conquered the province that gives an expansion......you have to go buy it.
3) Diamonds. Up to Future era you can pay for 2 expansions that you can only get via diamonds per age. I'm not sure if you can buy more than 2 in artic or ocean as I've not entered those ages and OF has I think 5 parts with a 6 to soon come out.
4) Medals. You can get 'victory expansions' by paying medals.

I'm sorry that my question didn't explain that I understand all of these points. I just think in the interest of remaining accurate to the nature of humans, I should be building on every conceivable piece of land I acquire, until I've sucked up every natural resources available.