• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Continent map progress and Recurring Quests

DeletedUser25920

Hi all,
I am at the end of LMA, and have been here for some time while I am leveling up my GB's (and I am able to do GE, which would not be the case if I moved to the next age). So I am doing recurring quests while I am leveling my GB's, and I also just a built a chateau (since I am doing the recurring quests, I thought I might as well increase the rewards).
I was already at the start of the Colonial map when I entered LMA, but I have taken it slowly since then, only scouting & conquering when an event task asked me to. Now I am at the last province of CA (next step -once the last province is taken- will be to take the boat and go to the new continent I guess).

My question and worry is this: what will happen to my recurring quests, if I complete the CA map and scout ahead to the IndA map? Hopefully nothing, but as there is no 'undo' button I thought to check first with others who are already past this stage.
The current Carnival event will be asking me to scout a province, so if I want to complete the event I will have to take this last province and sail forth. Even if I skip this (although I like the end reward building), the next event coming up will also ask me to scout a province (and it gives a must have building as a prize).

I had planned carefully, so that I can stay at LMA (doing GE and leveling up GB's), and also be able to do all the events. I have left techs unresearched -even a much needed expansion- and did not move ahead on the map unless asked to by an event (and I am quite able to conquer any province/ sector asked, I have enough attack boost and even the goods to negotiate). My question is what are the consequences if I do so, as regards my LMA recurring quests, as I would move 2 ages ahead on the map (move to IndA part of map).

I have heard of people doing recurring quests while being many ages ahead on the map, so I hope only 2 ages ahead should be fine. But what with moving to a new continent and everything, just wanted to check if I get to keep my LMA recurring quests, (or will I get some CA/IndA side quests where no amount of aborting will get me back to LMA quests?).

So if anyone knows if it is safe to scout ahead, I would be grateful :)

CA map.JPG

DeletedUser8152

You might possibly get a new side quest or two when you scout or conquer new areas on the map. But if you do those or skip them, it will go back to the same recurring quests for your actual city age.

DeletedUser25920

Thanks Jaelis, that is reassuring. So I can go ahead and take that last province then. Also quite curious to see what the new world across the ocean will look like :)

DeletedUser25273

Yes, What recurring quest you get it based on the Era that YOU have, which is based on the tech tree. Continent progress may trigger some side quest becoming available (some of which you will want to abort as they are based on much higher tech advancement).

DeletedUser23444

If you want to remain in any time period can continue to work it recurring quests, then you must be very careful regarding:
  • Progressing past certain areas on the C Map.
  • Progressing (and even not progressing) past certain Story Quests.
  • Unlocking technologies in the Tech Tree.
Completing any of these actions actually has a chance to revert a quest-giver slot that is currently offering you recurring quests back to offering you a Story Quest, a Side Quest, or a Bonus Quest.

More specific examples will follow.

DeletedUser25920

I have been as careful as I can. I had to research the basic things needed in my age (and unfortunately the better housing is towards the end of the tree). But I had left 2 expansions un-researched and only researched 1 good production, and still no artillery. (not needed anyway).
And in the map I only scouted/conquered when a quest asked me to. So far no ill-effects (Ragu story quests is stuck for ages at a quest that requires CA technology or diamonds, and will remain there) and my other two quest givers are the recurring quests.

I think even if scouting ahead triggers another side quest, if it is completed or aborted, I should be able to return to my recurring quests. At least Jaelis says that is the case, which makes sense.

Unless you know (or have some notes somewhere) of scouting the first part of IndA starts a side quest series for the IndA map that cannot be aborted? (or aborting it gets you the the next and then next quest, rather than giving you back the recurring quests after you abort/complete 1 or 2 of them?)
Now that I am thinking about it there is Bonus quest in the IndA map, right. If this is triggered, I may possibly loose one of my recurring quest givers ..? :( (and I like both, as I often complete 2 quests a time).

DeletedUser23444

Players who work quests generally will want to park in an age, work the recurring quests for that age while they level up their GBs, then quickly advance their tech tree to a specific technology in the next age that give them the buildings that are most effective to quest in the next age.

The 1st Quest giver slot is usually Story Quests (but in AFE, and even in FE, it can actually offer Recurring Quests), the 2nd Quest-giver slot usually offers Side Quests or Recurring Quests. But there is also a 3rd Quest Giver slot that can offer us: Bonus Quests, Side Quests, or Recurring Quests.

There are a few a Bonus Areas on the various C Maps, here are some notable ones:
  • Just past EMA, where the Barbarians live
  • Between LMA and CA, Where Princess Mycenia wants us to fight her enemies
  • On the Industrial Map (North America), where Canada and Mexico/Central America are.
When we scout a specific province on the C Map near a bonus area, plus complete our currently-accepted Side Quest or Recurring Quest, and in some cases completing a specific Story Quest, we unlock a Bonus Quest line. When we complete the Barbarian bonus quest line, we lose the 3rd quest giver slot. However starting with the LMA/CA Bonus area, when we complete the Bonus Quest line, we get to keep the 3rd quest giver slot and use it for either Side Quests or Recurring Quests.

There are some pitfalls we might encounter in this process, and one of my guild mates just hit one. He parked in HMA for awhile, until he had enough FP Packs, goods, coins, and supplies, to quickly advance into Colonial Age, which he accomplished in a single weekend. Along the way, he completed or aborted a couple dozen Side Quests in order to unlock the recurring quests for Colonial Age. But the whammy he hit actually was an HMA Story Quest of all things.

You see my guildies has already conquered the entire Bonus Area that lies between LMA and CA, yet has has never seen the Bonus Quest line that corresponds to that map area. He is stuck on a quest to Unlock a technology that gives him a new cultural building. He has no techs left in HMA tech tree, the LMA tech tree, or even the CA tech tree that he can unlock to complete this quest. And it turns out that he must complete this quest (and presumably some Story Quests that follow it) before the game will give him the Princess Mycenia Bonus quest line that corresponds to the LMA/CA bonus area on the C Map (which he has already conquered). Here is what is funny, the Story quest he is stuck on is actually given to us back in HMA — he neglected to complete his Story Quests between HMA and CA and now he is stuck on one.

So instead of being able to work 2 recurring quest slots in Colonial Age, my guild mate can only work one recurring quest at-a-time; or, he must give up Colonial Age questing, which uses Produce 2x <some 24-hour supply production> and move up to Industrial Age that uses Produce 4x <some 24-hour supply production>.

If you want to stay still and work recurring quest in your current age, you should avoid advancing your tech too fast and you should also avoid marching across the C Map too fast or you will hit whammys like this where you lose your 3rd quest slot (2nd recurring quest slot).

Also, you should keep in mind that special events often require us to Scout, Infiltrate, Negotiate, or Conquer sectors or provinces. The next event will be the Albert Einstein event which offers a very good special building as its final prize and it requires us to complete these kinds of quests. If you advance too fast on the map, you might be forced to scout a province that loses you the 2nd recurring quest slot.

If you fee the urge to fight join a GvG guild, beat the crap out of GE, and plunder your hood instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23444

the better housing is towards the end of the tree...

Unless you know (or have some notes somewhere) of scouting the first part of IndA starts a side quest series for the IndA map that cannot be aborted? (or aborting it gets you the the next and then next quest, rather than giving you back the recurring quests after you abort/complete 1 or 2 of them?) Now that I am thinking about it there is Bonus quest in the IndA map, right. If this is triggered, I may possibly loose one of my recurring quest givers ..? :( (and I like both, as I often complete 2 quests a time).

First your housing. My advice is to find a guild mate or friends who owns Innovation Tower, and make arrangements to swap FPs with them and complete a set of BPs for Inno. Then find a player who produces CE goods and buy the goods from them. If you construct Inno Tower in Colonial Age, combined with however many SoKs, SoA, Kings, Queens, Ziggurats, or other highly-efficent coins production buildings you own, you will free up a lot of land used by inefficient housing, and you will never miss not having GRHs.

On the Indy map the specific Province to avoid is:

Garrincton (basically Washington State), which gives you a expansion after you conquer it. You can scout it, but if you conquer it then the 3rd quest slot reverts to Bonus Quests. Side quests are another matter, you could always get Side Quests each time you conquer another province or unlock another technology.

DeletedUser25920

Yes, I remember there are some quests that ask to 'research a cultural building' or research a 'military technology' with no age specified (so any would do), but if you already have researched all cultural/military in your age and the next available are in the next age then you are stuck.

That is why I try to keep research and map at the same age as much as possible to avoid such mishaps.

Yes looking at the IndA map and a list of quest I had found in the wikia pages it seems the IndA bonus quest starts later with "Scout the provinces north of Garrincton and south of Las Penas" so just reaching the beginning of the IndA map should not trigger this bonus quest line.

I would like to stay in LMA for now; I know CA is better for recurring quests because the clockmaker is so small, and I will get to it eventually, but for now I like LMA. I have a Habitat for population and quite a few SoK's, so I have freed up as much land as possible (only 4 houses are left, to be deleted soon :)

The point is I want to stay at LMA AND be able to do the events (that is why I left expansions un-researched, and did not conquer provinces that offered expansions, unless an event required me to. I have been very patient :) And I quite like the masquerade ball building (quite efficient in producing goods in later ages) and of course the building that comes with the Einstein event (which also will ask for scouting :( )

But with having to go to a new continent I was a bit worried about my recurring quests, hence why I came to the forums to ask if it safe to do so :)
Unfortunately there is no official list of quests by Inno (and the conditions that trigger them). So I guess we are not 100% sure of I will get another side quest if I scout ahead (and if I can complete or abort it and then get back to my recurring quests, then no harm done.)

DeletedUser13838

If you want relatively cheap CE goods, find a player in AF. All their wishing wells and GBs pay off in CE goods which will pile up unless they are heavily involved in gvg. I'd bet they'd love to find someone willing to take them off their hands (hint: if you are in G send me a msg) :)

sirblu

On the Indy map the specific Province to avoid is Garrincton (basically Washington State), which gives you a expansion after you conquer it. You can scout it, but if you conquer it then the 3rd quest slot reverts to Bonus Quests.
Well Raven, I wish I had talked to you a week ago. This is exactly what happened to me. I am parked in the ColA and have the last tech of the CA completed. I needed the expansion, so I completed and conquered the Garrincton Province and then got the Princess Mycenia Bonus Quest that wants me to acquire the provinces of both Embruniez and Nevarrone, which is difficult since they require Ind Age goods to negotiate or Ind Age troops to fight of which I have neither. And you cannot abort the Bonus Quests.
So my question to you is, do you know if I manage to complete this bonus quest, will I get my ColA recurring quest back or will it turn into an Ind Age recurring quests even though I am not in the Ind Age? My current Col Age recurring quest requires 3x (24 Hr production) of Col Age production buildings.

DeletedUser23444

Well Raven, I wish I had talked to you a week ago. This is exactly what happened to me. I am parked in the ColA and have the last tech of the CA completed. I needed the expansion, so I completed and conquered the Garrincton Province and then got the Princess Mycenia Bonus Quest that wants me to acquire the provinces of both Embruniez and Nevarrone, which is difficult since they require Ind Age goods to negotiate or Ind Age troops to fight of which I have neither. And you cannot abort the Bonus Quests.
So my question to you is, do you know if I manage to complete this bonus quest, will I get my ColA recurring quest back or will it turn into an Ind Age recurring quests even though I am not in the Ind Age? My current Col Age recurring quest requires 3x (24 Hr production) of Col Age production buildings.

In short, you are <beeeeeeeeep>, and <CENSORED>!

In order to convert your 3rd quest giver slot back to offering recurring quests, at the stage where you are now, you must:

complete an entire Bonus Quest line (not just one quest), which requires you to conquer 100% of Canada and Mexico/Central America on the Industrial Age Continental Map. Most of those sectors have at least +80%/+%80 combat bonus. And if I recall correctly, there is even one province where you will fight against units with +110%/+110%. And many of these battles are against Industrial age units. There was even one province that I could not conquer myself with Industrial Aged units, because the specific army composition the NPC used, combined with the specific terrain on that map, was a perfect counter to any composition of Industrial Age unts I could field, at the level of combat bonus I had at the time (I forget now what I had back then). I ended up using Progressive ERA units to complete that one difficult sector.

sirblu

Thanks Raven - The only two Providences I have left on the NA Map is Gabordeaux (Canada 75% Attack & Def Bonus) and Nevarrone (southwest US 40% Attack & Def Bonus). But then there is that little scout ship that looks like it wants me to go to S. America. So I guess it would be better just to stay where I am for the moment until I level some GB's and be happy with the 1 recurring quest.
Thanks so much for all your help!

KhunErtugrul

I haven't been able to complete special events because my tech tree progress and map progress are totally out of synch. I want to fix that now, but I'd like to know how far I have to go on the tech tree to do that. I am in EMA at the end of the tech tree, but I have already scouted all of the HMA provinces, and the 1st LMA province with the PvP tower. I have acquired all but three of the HMA provinces. I would like to get back in synch and stay in HMA for a while, and be able to complete special events, but I don't know if I am so far out of synch that I will have to advance into LMA to fix it. Any ideas?

DeletedUser25273

If you get well into HMA, you should be able to take the occational LMA province that events would require. If you get a quest to actually CONQUER a sector, it might be a little tough, but probably not impossible (and that sort of quest is rare).

One way to think of it, you were able to handle the HMA provinces in EMA, so you can probably deal with the LMA provinces as HMA.

KhunErtugrul

If you get well into HMA, you should be able to take the occational LMA province that events would require. If you get a quest to actually CONQUER a sector, it might be a little tough, but probably not impossible (and that sort of quest is rare).

One way to think of it, you were able to handle the HMA provinces in EMA, so you can probably deal with the LMA provinces as HMA.

Thanks for your response. My concern is I don't want to have to go so far in the HMA tech tree before I get new provinces to scout that I run out of tech tree to use for special events and have to move into LMA much sooner than I want. I will probably try holding off on the dead end tech branch that gives you expansion slots; proceeding on the other branches and hoping I can do some scouting for the Einstein event. I don't want to miss out on the Einstein Square.

DeletedUser25273

Assuming you have a well balanced city (Decent combat boosts from GB, some Goods production), You shouldn't need to do that much of the tree to be ok. The beginning is goods, which you likely will want (at least what matches your boosts). The bottom branch ends in the Town House, which is a good pop upgrade, but not vital to rush to. There is a big dead end in the middle with a lot of expansions, again a prime plum but not vital. The top track is Military. If you are planing long haul, you may want the get the first couple to have some forces, and build up your army in GE.

KhunErtugrul

Assuming you have a well balanced city (Decent combat boosts from GB, some Goods production), You shouldn't need to do that much of the tree to be ok. The beginning is goods, which you likely will want (at least what matches your boosts). The bottom branch ends in the Town House, which is a good pop upgrade, but not vital to rush to. There is a big dead end in the middle with a lot of expansions, again a prime plum but not vital. The top track is Military. If you are planing long haul, you may want the get the first couple to have some forces, and build up your army in GE.

That's my plan. I hope I'll do ok in GE without Trebuchet.

DeletedUser25920

So I am now at Colonial Age, and I have conquered the 1st province of IndA, Okahe (I had to conquer the province for the Einstein Event).
From what has been discussed earlier on this thread and by looking at the quests listed in wikia, conquering Garrington triggers the Bonus quest giver. I want to avoid this, so as not to loose one of my two side quests slots (currently used for recurring quests), so I will have to avoid conquering Garrincton. I want to stay in CA for as long as possible, but also be able to do the events, so will be scouting/conquering when events require it.

Looking at the IndA map (link to map from the guides section), I am wondering whether one can scout (and conquer) ahead in the North and South bonus regions IF Garrincton has NOT been acquired? I would think that one should be able to at least scout the south parts (eg once Las Penas and/or Desperation are acquired), but sometimes bonus areas work differently. (I remember in the LMA bonus area, the central province (Grand Gap I think it was) was available to scout only after all 6 surrounding provinces were conquered - rather than after 1 (or 2 at most) neighbouring/touching provinces were conquered as one would 'normally' expect).

So I am wondering if there is something similar here, ie whether the North and South areas become 'scoutable' only when Garrincton is acquired (and when Garrington is acquired the bonus quest giver also appears).
Does anyone who has completed this map remember if the South (and maybe even the North) can be scouted as normal (ie. not depending on conquering Garrincton)?