• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Corporate Resrictions

DeletedUser

I'm interested in the social / political changes taking place as multinational corporations become dominant economic manipulators. Free market economics seem to be shifting from a customer driven "sell me what I want" to a "buy what we decide to sell you" dynamic. Competition seem to be diminished and replaced by a cooperative agenda aimed at "Harvesting" consumers expendable income efficiently. Media seems to be increasingly manipulated to avoid unpleasant economic realities. Is this a GOOD or BAD ? Can or should anything be done ? What are the implications and where does this situation lead ?

EricVonZipper

DeletedUser11287

Seriously? Choice is more abundant than ever. With the internet and a global economy reducing barriers to entry to practically zero in many fields, you have more choices than you ever have. Add the ability to use technology to handle choice more easily (Special/custom orders are far more easy to handle than they used to be. Many automated production facilities can handle most custom orders in the same time frame it would take to produce their typical order.) There are very few products (that are still commonly used) where your choice has not increased at least ten-fold.

DeletedUser

You're kidding, right ?

you have more choices than you ever have.

Tried to find a bottle of Tom Collins mixer lately? or local (fresh) dairy products or produce? Got a source for Undiluted (gardening) Vinegar? How about fiberglass belted (cheaper - quieter) tires? Inexpensive (bin marketed) fishing lures, tools, Kitchen appliances ? Heavy (warm) wool socks ? These are just a -few- POPULAR consumer items that used to be -readily- available anywhere in the USA ... The BEST example I know of is the once common 100 watt light bulb. You can still find these things, but you'll probably have to look real hard for them ... Corporate policies have removed them from the mass market and "switched" the consumer to "alternative" products they can produce and distribute more efficiently.

EricVonZiper

DeletedUser11287

Use the internet. It's all there. You have more choices than you have ever had, and it isn't even close.

DeletedUser

"Any color you want as long as it's BLACK."

Use the internet. It's all there. You have more choices than you have ever had, and it isn't even close.

Actually, I've run a retail internet outlet for the last 10 years + . It's been a steady downhill trend ... You may find more "similar" items under more labels or brand names. But like the 100 watt light bulb and the less expensive and softer riding fiberglass belted tire, popular items consumers WANT are systematically phased out to FORCE consumers to buy "standardized" alternatives that are more expensive and more efficiently produced ... Production is simplified, marketing costs reduced, competition eliminated. And it's coordinated ... A couple of years ago, Mass Marketed Brands of -Tom Collins- drink mix were eliminated by ALL the major American producers within a 3 month period. Coinciding with a marketing push for NEW mixes - Mohito's and Appletinis (at considerably higher price points.) But don't let the facts interfere with your conclusions.

EricVonZipper