• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser28021

If you're seriously going to do this with 7 cities, prepare to be seriously bored with this game very quickly. Also, start saving up for carpal tunnel surgery. LOL

This is actually my biggest concern. When I first started I did an experiment comparing stay-in-BA-and-loop with my first city, which was already in IA. Collecting all those blacksmiths was a major PITA. Later with an HMA city running a "mixed" strategy, collecting my 24 or so alchemists was taking a notable amount of time. I've just rebuilt that mixed city with 52 alchemists, and I'm somewhat concerned about collection time, though I plan to do it from a tablet.

DeletedUser28021

Responding to myself about GE:

I love this guide, and am currently revamping a "mixed" HMA city to use these principles.

One question I have - what about the Guild Expedition? I have previously completed level 3 every week, using a lot of goods in the process.

Because of the combat GBs I've already built, and some event buildings that are giving me FPs, I can only build 52 alchemists - with no military or goods buildings at all. I estimate they will produce 25 current age goods per day - or about what I'd get from a single goods building. With my SMB and LoA at their current levels, I won't quite be able to manage one UBQ per production quest - but it will be close, so let's say I'll get another 25 goods there, on average. A back of the envelope guesstimate suggests I'll need to drop level 3 GE (maybe do it in alternate weeks), and not even think about level 4, at least until I accumulate lots more space in my city.

But that's a rather badly done HQ city imitation, because of my history. How does this work out with people starting HQ from the beginning? Is it even efficient to do GE at all? (You talk about HQesters accumulating lots of terrace farms, so I imagine it is...)

My envelope was too small ;-) I forgot the 39 goods per day coming from various Great Buildings, not all of them recommended for HQS. So I'll be bringing in an average of 623 (89 * 7) goods per week, all current age.

Statistics on goods consumption doing GE are rather scarce, so I started https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...pedition-statistics-wanted.17772/#post-144145 City three in that thread (post 12) is the city I just rebuilt. This week GE cost me 337 current age goods and 89 prior age goods, net after any I won. 337 + 89/2 << 623. If I can continue to handle level I with (now entirely unattached) troops, and if this was an average week (not one where an unusual amount of goods were won), I should be accumulating 250 goods per week.

Or at least, that's what the numbers seem to say. And of course that number will continue to increase.

DeletedUser29218

About the goods generated and guild expedition:

Goods
I can't talk be sure for less productive ages, but in HMA and colonial the amount of goods produced is MASSIVE. I'm doing a small variation of it, rushing frontenac (so, no lighthouse or st marks yet) and once it hits lvl 10 I'll be producing 280 current era goods and 63.26 FP per day.

Guild expedition
In a low era, if you managed to get enough rogues during easter event (I have 7) and you are in a low age (HMA in my case) you can do levels 1-3 without any boost, and negotiating around 3-4 encounters in total. What really costs a lot of goods is level 4, where I can fight 2-4 encounters. As a reference, I ran out of goods around encounters 56-60 last 2 weeks.

Anyway, I don't think this is the thread to comment on guild expeditions. Once I finally succed on finishing lvl 4 without military buildings, I'll add a comment in your post.

DeletedUser23444

I'm going to shotgun some GE advice based on numerous questions or comments posted earlier that I haven't addressed. I've edited several quotes to shorten them while trying to maintain essence of the questions or comments

what about the Guild Expedition? I have previously completed level 3 every week, using a lot of goods in the process. With my SMB and LoA at their current levels, I won't quite be able to manage one UBQ per production quest ... A back of the envelope guesstimate suggests I'll need to drop level 3 GE ... and not think about level 4 until I accumulate more land.

GE can be great to do, but if you try to negotiate through it, it will be a heavy goods drain, and uses a lot of previous age goods that HQS won't produce (GE used to give more goods, including the needed previous age goods, so negotiating was more viable). You really need to be able to battle much of GE to make the personal profit worth it (depending on guild attitude, it might be worth it for guild benefits).

In a nutshell, GE is both a resource drain and a gamble. In the end, a player gambles one of two ways in GE:
  1. Gamble a bunch of units to win a bunch of goods
  2. Gamble a bunch of goods to win a bunch of unattached units
No matter which way we choose to gamble our way through GE encounters, either approach has the same % chance to score the other types of GE prizes that are not goods and are also not unattached units. Sometimes the 1st approach is more advantageous and other times the 2nd approach is. This is going to depend on several factors that I will separate into two branches:
  1. How many goods can we produce everyday? In HQS terms, we can restate this question as: how many total quests can our city complete per day and what level is our Chateau Frontenac?

2. Do we have all 5 militarily technologies for our current time period unlocked and does our city have all of these things: An Alcatraz, Rogue Hideouts, at least 1 barracks for all 5 militarily units, and a high enough total combat bonus to permit us to fight two-wave battles against units who also have substantial combat bonus themselves?
It is actually easier (reads that as cheaper) to address GE through Branch 1 than Branch 2. Just build a good HQS city.

My non-recommended buildings are: CoA, Zeus, ToR, ToB, Obs, Terrace farm, Rogue Hideout, Checkmate Square, HoF, wishing well, full Cherry Garden, Garden Ruins set. I do not have a CF, SMB = 4; LoA = 7. No Hagia Sophia; one church. (Inclined to go straight to Traz and skip the Hagia.) 6 SoKs. I plan to finish current level of CoA, then focus on raising the SMB, while gathering CF blueprints. The question is basically just whether to do that in HMA or in CA - though other suggestions would be gratefully received.

You do not own an HQS city. And actually I do recommend a few Rogue Hideouts (no more than 3) and the Checkmate Square, CF, HS, StM, LoA. The 6 SoKs are also good to have, but they are starting to erode your population density and you could really use an Innovation Tower (not the ToB). The SoZ is tiny so it doesn't waste too much land. The rest of your city is actually costing you lost game progress. If we don't own at least a level 5 CF, then we are not actually Heavy Questing yet; rather we are still in transition from the more conventional FoE strategy to the HQS, which is actually a very rough place to exist.

Mr. Miyagi said:
Danielsan, walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape"

We can't play FoE both ways in the early ages like HMA or lower. There simply is not enough: land, population, offsetting happiness, nor FPs to swap around to level up every GB in the game at the same time to level them all up to the point where each GB actually becomes useful and no longer a waste of land. The HQS isn't just about looping quests, it is about setting gaming objective priorities in an optimized order that eventually does allow us to play the game both ways (HQS + fight as much as we want) which occurs about halfway through our long stay over in the Colonial Age.

How does this work out with people starting HQS from the beginning? Is it even efficient to do GE at all?

If I reach players before they try to play: "Construct every GB and special building the game" and "Try to unlock every tech and conquer the entire C Map yesterday already dammit!", then things are challenging but quite manageable. In my guild we currently have about 10 Noob Minions all doing HQS in HMA. And by the end of this weekend, every single one of them will own a CF in his or her city.

Our guild requires that all members complete GE level II weekly, or they might subject to dismissal for repeat offensese of lack of participation. Negotiating about 1/3rd of the encounters in GE level I will only cost coins and supplies and not any goods at all. I actually recommend that Noob Minions negotiate these cheap encounters when they don't yet own an Alcatraz, so that they can save their attached units for the encounters that do cost significant goods to negotiate. This permits players to take advantage of more attempts on their attempt bar, while maintaining fewer barracks in their city. Wounded units cannot be used to fight the next encounter battle and a player without an Alcatraz or a field of barracks really must manage the health of their army units very carefully.

In the total analysis, once a player actually does have an HQS city up and running, with the correct GBs (CF, HS, CdM, Stm, and LoA) all leveled up to about level 5, and they don't waste land on a bunch of crap special buildings, or GBs that really are not going to help their city snowball in the production of goods, medals, or FPs, then not only can these players afford to negotiate all 4 levels of GE, but they can also stockpile more goods while doing it.

Can I reasonably expect to recover from this bad start in HMA, or would I be better off sprinting for CA and starting my HQ experiments there? (I expect to be forced out of HMA the next time there's an event requiring research that has rewards I care about.)

Sprinting to HMA costs a boat load of FPs (like 1,400 or so depending on where you are in HMA) and 100s of each good between Iron Age and LMA, plus a few CA goods. If you are having issues with goods now, then you cannot sprint to CA you can only crawl to CA. Fix the issues as best you can in HMA.

Dispite what Cosmic Raven says, I don't think Heavy Questing is optimal for generating LOTS of goods.

Let me be very frank here. I've posted a roughly 50% complete guide at this point to a strategy that at least 50 different players have PROVEN to work. So I'm not asking for anyone's confirmation that HQS works. It not only works, it works better than any other strategy, but only if you follow the advice. It cannot work if you don't follow the advice.

The problem that some players have is really in buying into transitioning fully to HQS, because they stay married to the conventional ways of planning a city and then they wonder later why their results are inferior to what is advertised. If you want HQS results, then you must fully buy into and adopt the HQS way of planning a city and working the game.

Star Wars said:
Yoda: Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view. You must unlearn what you have learned.

Luke Skywalker: I can’t believe it!

Yoda: That, is why you fail.

Luke Skywalker: All right, I'll give it a try...

Yoda: Do or do not. There is no try.

It [HQS] looks like it will generate enough goods to allow you to progress, but not enormous surpluses if you have other good expenses. It also only generates current age goods and you need to rely on stockpiling earlier age goods or trading down, which can run into market limits.

I think the change to having neighbours be only from one's own age - rather than similar point range - had some unexpected side effects, and lots of common wisdom may not have caught up. Trading down was much easier when I had neighbours who couldn't make goods from my age, and desperately wanted them to build some GB or race through their continent.

We must always be trading our current age goods both up and down. I coach noob minions to always have all possible 25 trade combinations posted in both directions (both up and down) at all times using trade ratios like these:

• Trading Down: Have 20 <some HMA Good> : Need 40 <some EMA good>
  • Trading Up: Have 50 <some HMA Good> : Need 25 <some LMA good>
Immediately re-post any trades that are picked up so that all 50 trades are always posted, every day you park in an age. One key to success is not waiting until you actually need the goods to trade for the goods. You always need the goods!

Another key to success here is how we manage our Friends list. I recommend that our Friends list is 80 players we invited that are all well above our current time period, or who have many more GB levels in later-era GBs than we have (as later era as possible in either case). So if we started with an empty Friends List and we are in HMA, the 1st 80 players we invite should all be players who are PE and later. The remaining 60 players on our friends list are noobs from our current period or lower, where we accepted their friend invitation. Not only does this help with trading our goods both up and down, but it gives us more chances to score BPs for later-era GBs and also gives us chances to score Free FP donations on our GBs from the noobs below us who might be avid BP hunters, since our GBs should leveling up faster than all of the conventional players on that noob's 3 player lists.

As for GE, I'm currently gathering some statistics intended to help people determine cost effectiveness for their particular situation. It's given me a lot of troops over time, and a fair number of FP, even after the big nerf (of levels I-III) when extra turns and motivation kits replaced more useful rewards. But goods have been a problem for me since that time, and not just in the one city I have which regularly does level IV.

It is only more valuable to complete all 4 GE levels , and by extension to also construct and level up a ToR after our city has reached all of the various GB milestones that I have listed here, and it is also more valuable in the later eras (PME and later) than in ME and below.

A proper HQS city in either HMA or CA is never going to use these things we can score from GE:
  • Terrace Farms, Tribal Squares—We will score more of these in the later eras when we get there so there is no reason to keep any that are age locked below PME.

• Premium Decorations or Cultural Buildings, Face of the Ancient, Gate of the Sun God — We won't actually need these buildings until PE or later and we can score more of them later that are age-locked to that era. However, keep these in inventory to use on the "Gain N Happiness" side quest that every time period has.

• Premium Supply Production Buildings — We won't use buildings like these until AFE or later, and we will score more of them later that are age-locked to that era.

• Sacred Skywatch — we will never use more than 1 SSW at-a-time in either HMA or CA, since these are the same size as Alchemists or Clockmakers. If we can fit two SSWs in our city, then we would actually get more value from placing 2 more Alchs/Clocks instead (don't forget that Alchs/Clocks give quest rewards + supplies production, which feeds into spamming more UBQs). So if we only have room for 1 3x2, then add 1 SSW; but if we have room for 2, then make it 2 more Alchs/Clocks.
A proper HQS city in either HMA or CA won't make use of these GE prizes until much later in the game. In other words, these prizes are mostly accumulating in our Inventory and will not translate them into more forward game progress at the time that we score them. However, accumulating such prizes for use later in the game is still valuable.
  • Renovation Kit — we always want more of these

• 1-up Kit— we always want more of these

• Storage Kit— we always want more of these

• Fountain of Youth— Use them PME and later

• Ritual Flame— Use them only if we need defense and we can plop down a defense boost of of about 120%-200% at one time. Anything less won't stop the plunder, it will just make it a challenge to plunder us.
A proper HQS city in either HMA or CA can make use of these GE prizes when they are scored.
  • Premium Residential Buildings — We can always use these in any time period. They strike a very good balance between: high population density, high coins production capacity, and high coins production efficiency.

• Diamonds — we always want more of these

• FPs— we always want more of these

• Goods — We always want more of these. However, by the time we have a true HQS city up and running in HMA or CA, we produce so many goods from CF-enchanced quest rewards that it is hard to get excited about the ones we score in GE. But the value of these GE-scored goods goes up each time period we advance later in the game. I get quite excited scoring 200 FE goods, which I can sell for 90 FPs.

• Medals— We always want more of these. However, by the time we have a true HQS city up and running in any time period, we can can produce so many medals from CF-enchanced quest rewards that we finally understand how paltry the medals packages in any other part of the game of FoE actually are. It is very hard to get excited about scoring medals in GE.

• Unattached Units, especially Rogues — we always want more of these

• Coins and Supplies — Yeah it kind of sucks scoring these; however we can actually use them to spam more UBQs so they aren't as bad as your 30th copy of Face of the Ancient.

• (Mass) Motivation Kits — Especially since we have large fields of buildings to motivate, and getting one supply building plundered will cost us 1 completed produce supplies quest, these can sometimes be valuable. Just be sure to use the kits before the productions complete, or you can no longer use them to motivate your building!
Some of those prizes above come by way of encounter rewards and some by way of ToR relics. Never construct ToR until you can reliably complete all 4 levels of GE on weekly basis no matter how you complete them. If you own a ToR you want to take advantage of all 64 chances to score a Relic. But I would not advise wasting land constructing the ToR until late Colonial Age or later. It is 100% a gamble. For every week I've scored a relic that paid 200 goods or 100 FPs, I have two weeks where I've only scored 4 worthless relics that I would never use. So over time it is very hard to justify the 6x6 plot of land and pile of FPs to level my ToR up to level 8 where it is now. I'm not saying the ToR is a terrible GB without any value. But I am saying that there are so many other GBs that offer a city much better value and much more consistent value-over-time than the ToR can and those GBs should all be level 10 before wasting land or FPs on ToR construction.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Do we have all 5 militarily technologies for our current time period unlocked and does our city have all of these things: An Alcatraz, Rogue Hideouts, at least 1 barracks for all 5 militarily units, and a high enough total combat bonus to permit us to fight two-wave battles against units who also have substantial combat bonus themselves?
You do not need all these things to succeed in GE by fighting. You need: An Alcatraz, a Rogue Hideout and a high enough combat bonus. That's it. That is what I have and I can beat all 4 levels of GE every week in Contemporary Era in a non-HQS city.

DeletedUser23444

You do not need all these things to succeed in GE by fighting. You need: An Alcatraz, a Rogue Hideout and a high enough combat bonus. That's it. That is what I have and I can beat all 4 levels of GE every week in Contemporary Era in a non-HQS city.

At one point, when you first got to CE, you actually did need barracks for regular units until you won enough free unattached units from GE to compete in the weeks to come. A player down in HMA doesn't have all of this stuff yet like players such as you or I do. And yes we can rely on earlier period units in GE level 1, which lets us score current period units, then use those to complete level II and so on. But these lower age players are starting with nothing, not even the combat bonus and they do need the 5 barracks.

It is not until we get all the toys and advantages rolling in our favor, that we can start dropping field of barracks from our city.

DeletedUser

At one point, when you first got to CE, you actually did need barracks for regular units until you won enough free unattached units from GE to compete in the weeks to come. A player down in HMA doesn't have all of this stuff yet like players such as you or I do. And yes we can rely on earlier period units in GE level 1, which lets us score current period units, then use those to complete level II and so on. But these lower age players are starting with nothing, not even the combat bonus and they do need the 5 barracks.

It is not until we get all the toys and advantages rolling in our favor, that we can start dropping field of barracks from our city.
Other than a Rogue Hideout and occasionally a Champions Retreat for short periods, I haven't had a barracks in my city since at least Colonial Age. If an HMA player has an Alcatraz and a Rogue Hideout, all he needs is to work on his combat bonus, because an HQS player will have plenty of goods to get the unattached units from GE when he needs them, right? The only advantage I have over that HMA player is my combat bonus, but in HMA you don't face the same high combat armies that you do in CE, so it evens out.
Incidentally, even before I had a Traz I never built all 5 barracks of any age, simply because not all units are worth having. Unless you're into GvG, then you need an assortment of units for siege/defense armies.

DeletedUser23444

Other than a Rogue Hideout and occasionally a Champions Retreat for short periods, I haven't had a barracks in my city since at least Colonial Age. If an HMA player has an Alcatraz and a Rogue Hideout, all he needs is to work on his combat bonus, because an HQS player will have plenty of goods to get the unattached units from GE when he needs them, right? The only advantage I have over that HMA player is my combat bonus, but in HMA you don't face the same high combat armies that you do in CE, so it evens out. Incidentally, even before I had a Traz I never built all 5 barracks of any age, simply because not all units are worth having. Unless you're into GvG, then you need an assortment of units for siege/defense armies.

Your Alcatraz is in fact a pretty big bonus over what a player who just reached 1 technology inside of HMA (Alchemy) has. A player who just reached HMA Alchemey just has so much to accomplish in the game, and it all hits them at the same stage of the game, that it really helps to slim the list objectives down and focus on one play style or the other. And since this is a guide about HQS, not the other play styles, then my advice is understandably going to coach players how to accomplish these many objectives in the context of HQS, not the other ways.

I highlighted the most significant thing you said above, "since the Colonial Age". That is about the time that any city really comes into its own. Leading up to the point of the game. There are a number of game objectives to check off a very long list in order to get any type of FoE city and strategy up-and-running, be that the hard fighter city who plunders his hood daily for goods, or the Heavy Quester who relies on quest rewards, or any other play style in between these two extremes. There are simply a lot of GBs to construct that players will not likely own them all until about Colonial Age.

The advice I typed earlier was to HMA players. There isn't much land in HMA or lower city on which to construct all of these GBs on, while still being able to produce units and goods (however they go about producing them). All of these GBs will require construction goods and FPs to get some levels into them, before a player gets to produce lots of unattached units from Traz, and then buff them with enough combat bonus to be able to complete all 4 GE levels by fighting.

An early HMA city cannot really handle paying the FP cost to purchase goods for all the powerful, later-era GBs at the same time, which would include: CF, Traz, Arc, Inno Tower, and maybe some others. An early HMA player would actually go into "FP debt" trying to construct all of these GBs too early on, especially on what little land they have available. And these GBs would be on top of the usual list of GBs, which include: LoA, StM, CoA, SoZ, and CdM. It's too much to construct all of these GBs at once, it needlessly delays overall game progress too much.

I think both you and I can agree that a player is either going to require a CF or an Alcatraz, as more or less a requirement to being able to complete all 4 levels of GE, either to fight their way through or to negotiate their way through it all. They are going to need one of the two PE GBs in order to complete 4 levels of GE. But constructing both of them in HMA is too much and delays them reaching Colonial Age.

Within the HQS, we set a higher priority for HMA players to construct and level up only these 5 GBs: CF, HS, CdM, StM, and LoA). That's it no other GBs (ideall). The CF helps them complete GE by maginiying every quest reward (except FPs and BPs) they score. It helps them produce vastly more medals PER DAY than winning all of their PvP towers combined will PER WEEK (it isn't even a contest between producing medals via HQS and PvP). HS is about more FPs and eliminating city polish requirements so that all coins and supplies are motivated. LoA and StM are about efficiency of those same coins and supplies, which we spend on more quests. WE do add CdM to the list, so that the do start workong on combat bonus, but they do so with a GB that pays for its own levels along the way.

All other GBs (even Arc and Traz) are delayed until Colonial Age, when their cities are much larger and they will have more room for more GBs. This permits them to quest so much more efficiently, and end up producing more FPs-per-day without owning a field of SoKs. We have a prescribed order to construct GBs in and to also level them up in. This prescribed order has been tested, tweaked, tried different ways, and improved, for over 2 years of game play and across 50 different cities. So at this point we know a little bit about how to best accelerate the process of eventually ending with with all of the good GBs in the game at level 10 in the shortest amount of game time possible, without spending any money on the game. We arrange the GB priorities early on, in way that converts the FPs swapped into the most forward game momentum (how fast we can tech up and add more total GB levels to our city) and we know how to leverage this and sustain this momentum going forward into the later eras of the game where players like you and I are now.

In contrast, trying to work on constructing and leveling up all of the the combat GBs, which I would include Alcatraz as a combat GB, might help complete more GE, but it will come at the cost of completing far fewer quests per week in an age like HMA (that has considerably less land than a CA city) and that means the player would score fewer medals per quest (and per week, since HQS produces more medals per day than PvP produces per week), fewer goods per quest (and per week), and few FPs (from fewer quests). And these are the three main resources the HQS focuses on increasing production of. Constructing and leveling up combat GBs does not increase production of these three resources as fast as constructing and leveling up the other GBs I mentioned. To get a high enough combat bonus to complete level 4 GE is going to require swapping FPs to more than one GB that provides such a bonus, plus we need Alcatraz. Ffor the same number of FPs swapped to just: CF, StM, and LoA, we can actually get a city to produce far more: medals, goods, and FPs, such that not only can we afford to negotiate our way through all 4 levels of GE, it won't even hurt our resource stockpiles as much as one might think.

Yes, GE (and other aspects of the game) get much easier the more we build up our city's capabilities. But HQS is exactly about building up those capabilities. Once we have all the GBs at level 10, we can really play the damned game any way we want to.The HQS is really about how do we get all the high-value GBs level 10 ASAP, and also about getting as much land (medals) as we can on which to build them all ASAP, and produce as many non-plunderable goods as we can ASAP.

Working HQS in HMA is specifically about getting ready to jump up work HQS in CA ASAP. That is where the real money is and we will have so much more land to construct a much larger assortment of GBs on and we can more easily afford to pay FPs for the goods to construct all of those powerful, later-era GBs, suich as: Arc, Traz, IT, AO.

I've seen players try to build all the GBs down in HMA; they end up trapped in HMA much longer than they need to be, and they must crawl their way up to CA. If the number of FPs we produce per day is finite, and we keep adding more and more GBs to a city, then each GB we own levels up slower. We need to set priorities as to how to quickly get more capability in our city by focusing only on a few GBs at first, get them up in levels where they pay back some good dividends, before we add more GBs to the mix.

DeletedUser

I'm going to shotgun some GE advice based on numerous questions or comments posted earlier that I haven't addressed. I've edited several quotes to shorten them while trying to maintain essence of the questions or comments

In a nutshell, GE is both a resource drain and a gamble. In the end, a player gambles one of two ways in GE:
  1. Gamble a bunch of units to win a bunch of goods
  2. Gamble a bunch of goods to win a bunch of unattached units
No matter which way we choose to gamble our way through GE encounters, either approach has the same % chance to score the other types of GE prizes that are not goods and are also not unattached units. Sometimes the 1st approach is more advantageous and other times the 2nd approach is. This is going to depend on several factors that I will separate into two branches:
  1. How many goods can we produce everyday? In HQS terms, we can restate this question as: how many total quests can our city complete per day and what level is our Chateau Frontenac?

2. Do we have all 5 militarily technologies for our current time period unlocked and does our city have all of these things: An Alcatraz, Rogue Hideouts, at least 1 barracks for all 5 militarily units, and a high enough total combat bonus to permit us to fight two-wave battles against units who also have substantial combat bonus themselves?
It is actually easier (reads that as cheaper) to address GE through Branch 1 than Branch 2. Just build a good HQS city.
Since you like to overcomplicate things by throwing a lot of words at people that disagree with you, I thought I would bring simplicity back to this discussion. This time I have quoted the entire beginning of the post I was replying to, with the specific part I was disputing highlighted. You'll notice that nowhere leading up to that statement did you even mention HMA. Your statement was non-specific as to current age of the player. I stand by my point that you don't need the 5 regular military barracks if you have the Alcatraz, 1 Rogue Hideout and sufficient attack/defense boost. I know that from experience, because I can finish all 4 levels of GE whenever I want, and I have no regular barracks in my city. Since you can't dispute my statement, you had to protect your reputation as the expert, I guess, by throwing up a smokescreen. Incidentally, when you have loads of unattached Rogues, it's not really a gamble at all, it's basically free stuff. And a lot less boring than clicking 2 production buildings, then aborting a bunch of quests to get back to the right one so you can click 2 more production buildings.

DeletedUser23444

You'll notice that nowhere leading up to that statement did you even mention HMA. Your statement was non-specific as to current age of the player.

If you go back to the players original post, you will see he is in HMA and specifically asked me a question about should he stay in HMA or jump up to CA. And that was in fact quoted, and answered in the post you replied to.

DeletedUser

If you go back to the players original post, you will see he is in HMA and specifically asked me a question about should he stay in HMA or jump up to CA. And that was in fact quoted, and answered in the post you replied to.
Sorry, wrong again. Again, this is the first line of the post I responded to.
You'll notice there is no mention of a specific player. Indeed, if you go through the whole post, you'll see that you quoted no fewer than 4 different players. All in HMA? Probably not, but I'm not going to search them out just to respond to one line in an incredibly long-winded post. In addition to that, you frequently mention at least Colonial Age in addition to HMA in the body of your post. So trying to claim the blanket statement about military needs to succeed in GE was only about HMA just isn't going to fly. It's always easier to admit that someone found a tiny flaw in what you've said, rather than prove your massive ego and thin skin by trying to dance around the obvious fact.

DeletedUser27184

From your words, CR, it sounds like you have a very accommodating guild for the HQS play style. Specifically, getting high level era goods are very hard to most players. While the guild helps a lot, your guild seems to help in this regard a lot (LOT) more. For example, you said that in your guild you are making sure that every new HMA guy will get the CF (in about a week?) is a guild decision that helps a lot. Most players don't have that luxury.
Now, since strong players means strong guild, usually a guild will help its players and have rules and conventions to help the guild mates to prosper. And like players, guilds can get better. But for that, you need to understand what the guild need to do in order to get stronger players.
So I wondered if you can talk a bit about how the guild for HQS should have?
Also, in your guild, what is the customary FP cost for goods? Is it a guild decision? Is it a convention? Why would high era players help with so many goods?

DeletedUser23444

...you said that in your guild you are making sure that every new HMA guy will get the CF (in about a week?) is a guild decision that helps a lot. Most players don't have that luxury.

If you don't have access to a guild that is in position to help you get goods for a GB such a CF., then find a player on your world that is willing to trade their later era goods for your FPs. It's the same thing. I sell goods outside of my guild about 25% as often as I sell them inside my guild. There are always smart players somewhere who are looking to sell their later era goods for FP donations. I've done this quite easily on a number of off worlds where I have test cities that I constructed a CF in that city. I usually just a post a message in Global Chat every day when I login: "Looking to purchase PE goods for donations to a CF,. Msg me if interested. Thanks!" Do that for a few days and inevitably you will find a a few goods seller. This should works for any GB you want to build.

The other parts of you question I will answer later in a guide section I'm still working on about FP Swap strategies that guilds can use.

DeletedUser28299

Stephen, I absolutely agree that Cosmic Raven can be a bit heavy handed. I interpret it as a bit of nerdy exasperation at things which seem pretty obvious to someone who has put enough energy in, but can easily see how it may come off as more annoying.

I see him as willing to share a wealth of knowledge he has amassed. That is super useful. You seem to want to nitpick around the edges of it which can be fine--though if I were in charge of the world I'd rather CR finish his guide than spend too much time on nitpicks. In the spirit of aiding that I'll try to respond to the best of my knowledge (as someone who has mostly followed along with the HQS though I'm only in Colonial on O world) and someone who has in retrospect made some mistakes along the way that don't bother me too much (biggest was building and investing in the Temple of Relics too early, but I enjoy it).

The key to your criticism is "I stand by my point that you don't need the 5 regular military barracks if you have the Alcatraz, 1 Rogue Hideout and sufficient attack/defense boost."

First you're eliding a lot in "sufficient attack/defense boost" That ends up being quite a bit of FPs in Zeus and CoA that could be spent elsewhere. That ends up being quite a bit of space on CoA that could be spent elsewhere. (And if you are talking prize buildings, they come if you're around long enough but you can't count on them otherwise).

Second you're relying on a HUGE Progressive Era building. The Progressive Era is interesting because both of its Great Buildings are very good. You seem to be advocating Alcatraz OVER the Chateau.

For the limited purpose of finshing GE, they are about equal in power. I would argue that the Chateau is probably a touch stronger because for Alcatraz to work you need CoA, CDM and Zeus to be high levels, but the counterargument would be that for Chateau to work you need St. Marks and Lighthouse at high levels. I would respond that you are going to level St. Marks and Lighthouse anyway, so your strategy requires ADDITIONAL great buildings and ADDITIONAL FP investments, but I haven't worked out the perfect balance for your strategy so maybe it is a close call.

For the purposes of overall advancement, the Chateau package is clearly superior. It is letting you finish GE AND get more FPs, AND get more goods, AND get more coins, AND grow faster with medals.

Both are Progressive era buildings. You will probably have both in the long run. Both will take getting some help or trading up to Progressive Era goods. But CR is suggesting that you get Chateau FIRST because leveraging it will get you overall advancement faster (and it is smaller) and that you don't get Alcatraz until later.

You criticize him for picking at small flaws, but you aren't letting him talk in the context of HQS (which is the context of this thread). Yes it is POSSIBLE to finish the limited objective of GE without a Chateau, and with an Alcatraz plus high level attack buildings. However doing that first will stunt your overall growth, which is the context.

DeletedUser23444

I just want to be clear that a guild really doesn't need to do anything out of the ordinary to accommodate players following the HQS, except to understand that a player is going to stay in a couple of ages (HMA and CA) for a long period of time while they accelerate the expansion of their city and the rate they level their GBs.

I and a few other later era players in my guild always make sure we have excess goods production (either conventional or HQS) to have goods on hand to help in GB construction of high-value and and later-era GBs. But doing this is not exclusive to HQS, it's just good for any guild in general. The best way for a guild to foster player loyalty and ensure that players can be an asset to the guild, is to create a culture within the guild to help lower age players advance, no matter what gaming strategy they are following.

And if you read my FP→Goods trade post, you will see that I do not GIVE goods to my HQS guild mates, they pay for them. Now I've tried to make a system that makes it a little easier for them to pay for them, but again this isn't exclusive to HQS. In fact, on my game world I have shared that same system with allied guild leaders some of whom also use it now; and most of them do not have HQS players.

What it really takes is players who can look ahead and plan ahead. For example. If you click on the FoE Calc link in my signature, and read the section with the screen grabs, that is actually a recent screenshot of my own copy of that sheet and you can see I have 8 complete goods kits ready to go for Innovation Tower, which is a GB that a number of our newer HQS players will need to construct very soon after they get to CA, since a few of them are starting to acquire a large number of SoKs. I'm also stockpiling more PE goods for the Trazes that will eventually start popping up in all of those cities after they all get to Colonial Age.

Long story short, a GOOD guild should be trying to HELP their players, while not CARRYING their players. But most if this is not exclusive to HQS, it's just what you do in a guild.

DeletedUser23444

Why would high era players help with so many goods?

I also want to expound on this question.

Up in the very top of the HQS guide, I listed all of the Resources within FoE in their order of scarcity and value. The first resource listed was Time. Time is invaluable both in real life and game life.None of us know how much time we actually have. Time is fleeting, we lose ever second we spend, never to get those lost seconds back. None of us can actually "save" time in the sense that we deposit some time into a bank account and then we can make a withdraw later when we need more time. (However in FoE games terms we can do exactly this by spending coins on FPs to swoop a GB level, from which we score FP packs back that are in fact saved in our inventory, where we have essentially "bottled time".) And in FoE game terms, 1 FP = 1 hour of time.

By comparison, Goods are only extremely valuable to us when we don't have enough goods for the various game objectives we need to spend the goods on. Once we have amassed all of the goods we require for various gaming objectives, and we still have a steady goods supply line, (from: conventional production, HQS, plunder, For-Profit Trading, or a combination of all of these), then at that point the value of the goods from our individual frame of reference isn't as high as when we didn't have enough goods.

But the demand for time (FPs) is limitless, because our GBs can be leveled up limitlessly to Stratosphere levels. And many of the later-era GBs that we have worked into HQS (Arc, CF, IT) as well as some of the earlier age GBs (HS, CdM) and even some GBs I have not discussed (AO, CC) are worthy of leveling up to stratosphere GB levels because they all, in some way, produce more and more FPs in the same amount of land.

And I'm expounding on this point to circle back around to some of the advice advocated in HQS.

I'm in FE with a level 12 CF now, which means every time I pay 250,000 coins + 250,000 supplies to spam 1 UBQ, I have a 30% chance to score 13 FE goods. If you check my trade chart math, that means I just produced 5.85 FPs worth of value by collecting those 13 FE goods. I get contacted about once or twice a month where a player wants to purchase a Goods Kit for the Arc, so it is actually somewhat easy to take all of the game momentum that I built in my city in the lower ages, where I constructed CF early and leveled it up quickly, and I can carry that momentum forward with me up in the later eras, such as in FE where I am now, because my quest rewards are now producing very nice large piles of FE goods, which are quite valuable in Trade.

The PE goods for CF that I'm helping my guild mates acquire came to me by way of other gaming priorities that the HQS advocates:

• My 9 Wishing Wells /Fountains of Youth = 29% chance at 20 PME goods every 24 hours each structure
  • My Level 10 StM = 100% chance at 50 PME goods every 24 hours
  • My Level 10 LoA= 100% chance at 38 PME goods every 24 hours
  • My Level 10 FoD= 100% chance at 34 PME goods every 24 hours
Since I'm not actually producing any FE goods conventionally (I just HQS for them), I don't actually require any of these PME goods for any gaming objective. So I'm able to trade all of these PME goods down for the PE goods that I'm trading to my guild mates, which helps my noob minions all construct CF and Trz easier. I also have other players in my guild who are in PE or later, who are producing PE goods, and to these players I trade my PME goods for their PE goods (which helps them for when they advance up to PME and beyond). Meanwhile, I'm selling the PE goods to HQS Noob Minions in HMA and CA, for FP donations to my GBs, which helps the Noob Minions construct GBs early on, and helps me level up my GBs. (I will have more on this in a formal guide section at a later date.)

But all of this nimble maneuvering was facilitated way back in HMA and CA when I focused on leveling up the all of the GBs that I listed above in this post. Yes I own a level 16 Arc as well. But guess what? In the grand scheme of all the different gaming objectives I'm trying to accomplish (some of them for my city and some to help my guild mates), my CF + StM + LoA are actually putting in the most work on a day-to-day basis. Now to be fair, this has a lot to do with how I chose to play the game.

I still work Stratosphere Strategy on my Arc (and CdM, and IT, and AO, and Trz, and even HS). But I'm also working my excess goods production, which came largely from accomplishing HQS objectives, into pushing my GB levels above level 10+.

In fact, I even offer donation prizes to players on my Friends List who BP hunt in my city and lock 1st or 2nd place on my GBs, where my prizes are a mix of FP donations and goods. These are not in as fair ratios as what I would trade to a guild member in a FP swap or a FPs↔Goods trade, and the players must lock 1st or 2nd place to score a prize. But I have had a few lower age players on my friends list build a city fill of GBs simply by scoring their BPs in my city, where they also scored decent prizes from me. And my GBs leveled up faster for doing it. Those players where better off hunting for BPs in my city than another stranger in their Hood or on their Friends List.

So when you all are struggling to adopt HQS and you might not understand "why this?" and "why not that?" You need to understand that there are layers of strategy that you will not even see, much less understand, until you reach certain time periods. I'm trying to give you a glimpse into this with this post.

DeletedUser29218

Hey Cosmic Raven. Given how in detailed your replies to this topic have been, I think you missed my post :/ Copying it here again, just in case.

Hi Cosmic Raven, I was finally able to sidestep the error when registering onto the forum ^^

Let me rapidly introduce myself first. I am a new player (57 days old acc.) that 1st heard about recurrent quests when googling bronze age/general game guides. They looked quite strong and I thought a strategy based on them could be very good. I used the 24h production quests and some pay quests with spare resources until I reached HMA, where I decided to park. I made an excel file with stadistics of quest rewards, number of daily quests I could sustain, and the effect that several GB (namely lighthouse of alexandria, CF and RAH) would have in my quest-related rewards. I think I had everything up to HMA pretty well thought, but had no idea about the next ages, because finding data related to recurrent quest on google is very difficult. That is, until yesterday, when I found your guide with a lot of useful advices and data.
So, you could say I have been going through the same stages that you were in the beginning, but finding this post will accelerate my learning process, and reduce the number of mistakes.

I think I'll be able to bring up valid points of discussion in the future, but for now I must ensure I get the basics right.

1- Bonus quests. There are some questions that are obvious for someone who has already done them, but for a person who needs to plan ahead this is vital information.

"The next bonus quest line comes between the LMA and Colonial Age on the Continental Map. However this time, after we complete this bonus quest line (given to us by Princess Mycenia), we actually get to keep the 3rd quest giver slot until the end of the game. This 3rd quest giver slot works just like the 2nd quest giver slot—it can either offer us: side quests (see above), bonus quests, or recurring quests (see below)."

1.1- Between the LMA and colonial age means that after we clear LMA CM we can do "bonus" CM before even starting colonial age? Tecnically, we could do so before even starting LMA? (I want to save techs for events).
1.2- How do we know when the 2nd bonus quest line has been completed?
1.3- After completing the 2nd bonus quest line, as long as we don't advance to the next age continental map, we are "safe" from getting new bonus quest in our bonus quest slot, so we can always chain recurring quest if we want to. Is this correct?
1.4- Can the same quest be active in the "normal" quest and the bonus quest be active at a time? (so it's completed twice instead of once)
The comment #75 suggest that you can't (what would be the reason to "simultaneously work the "Produce Supplies" quest and the "Collect Supplies" quest" when you could do 2x Produce supplies).
But the comment #250 suggest the opposite.

2- Complete quest data breakdown

I'm pretty sure you have this noted somewhere, but could you update
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Reward
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Recurring_Quests

(I'm using the spoiler tag because I don't know if it is ethical to link to the external wiki in this forum, please let me know if I should delete it).
, or post it as a section in the guide? The things I'm more concerned about is how much the UBQ asks you to pay in each age, and the base amount of coins/supplies rewards in each age.

3- Estimated % reward chances.

Wwhat's the order of magnitude in the number of samples? Since I couldn't find anything before, I've been doing my own. These are my collections in a sample of 352 quests:

Goods 30.97%
FP package 7.10%
BP 7.10%
Medals 7.10%
Big coins 9.66%
Small coins 15.91
Big supplies 8.81%
Small supplies 13.35%

Should I just stop collecting them and trust your numbers? If so, could you please type them with the 2 decimals you have in your observations (even if your error stimate is +-1%). If I want to do "dirty things" with them, I'd rather have data as much accurate as posible ^^

4- Motivations
Do you really get 100% motivated buildings? I'm around 75% at best, with 30 guildies and 110 friends. And I only have 68 alchemist. After I get more medal expansions and reach colonial, I can't imagine getting them all.

5- St mark's

Can you picture any scenario where St mark's is not efficient to build? In HMA, a lvl 10 CF provides 51.260 coins, an insane amount for that age. With some SoKs or other useful special buildings there is a chance you could cover all the needed gold for UBQs without the need for that. And for later eras, you mention that gold is overflowing.

With that in mind, do you think it's worth to hypothetise for such scenario, or I should just build my St Mark's asap?

6- Clicking
How do you guys deal with so many clicking when abort-cycling quest? I'm doing 34 cycles at the moment and I'm starting to get annoyed.

PS: sorry for some weird gramatical structures, I'm a native Spanish speaker

Sharif

Curious why you recommend Atomium in your must have GBs when you already have Traz and HS for happy and Arc for guild goodies. Seems like an awful big footprint for something you're already getting.