• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser23444

lets say we have all of them on lvl. 10. Should we work parallel on them or not..?

Right now, I work as many as 4 GBs simultaneously. But the number of GBs to work depends on Arc level and our city's total FPs total daily FP production.

Opozicija

AM — If you are a true hard-core plunderer, and you routinely find many juicy targets to plunder in your hood, then you want to Stratosphere this GB. However if neither are true for you, then skip this GB.

You can give me all answers if you tell me on which lvl should be Arc,CF,etc..... before building this one.

DeletedUser23444

This may seem like a silly question. But when you guys hit Colonial, let's say, you aren't yet going to have built traz, coa, fod, atomium, the arc, etc. How do you redesign cities mid age? Do you sell off maybe half of your supply buildings just to have space to move buildings around? I am currently in HMA, about to build my CF and I am beginning to piece together in FOE Manager what my city might look like when I hit Colonial and I am having a hard time planning ahead for all those great buildings that I won't have yet. I don't want to just leave blank spaces since that seems horribly inefficient. Any advice from anyone who's gone through that before?

We expand our city larger. The more quest you complete, the higher level your CF is, the more medals you score. When I was in CA I was purchasing 1 expansion every 2 weeks. We can produce medals that fast through HQS. The guide has a detailed walk through showing a late CA city, an early CA city, and a mid HMA city. Those are sample layouts check it out here:

Detailed Walk-Through of Designing an HQS City for HMA or CA

DeletedUser23444

You can give me all answers if you tell me on which lvl should be Arc,CF,etc..... before building this one.

I would not construct the AM until you can produce at least FE goods yourself.

Generally speaking, there are very few later-era GBs (GBs from PME and later) that are actually worth constructing if the player is not already in the same era that the GB is from, or at least 1 to 2 eras below the era the GB is from.

The Arc and the Innovation Tower are pretty much the only exceptions to this general statement, since both of these later-era GBs are somewhat unique in that they can dramatically improve the efficiency of a city (Arc through FP Swap efficiency and IT through more FP production and much higher population density per tile of land).

It actually takes a very long time for most later-era GBs to pay back the value of their own expensive construction goods. Again the Arc and IT are the most notable exceptions to this. A lower age player will need to buy construction goods with FPs. So it is often much better to wait on constructing many later-era GBs until our own city is in a mid-to-late era (like say PME or later) where we can produce more valuable goods in our own city, with which we can trade up for the really expensive construction goods for the later era GBs.

Down in the Colonial Age, it's better to just stick to the recommended GBs and level them all up to level 10. And for any GB not recommended in the guide, it is better to just wait until your city is in a later era, where it will have much more land, and where it can produce more valuable later-era goods that you can trade up for the really expensive goods.

So constructing GBs like: AO and AM should come later in the game, like in FE. And any time you have all your GBs level 10+ and you construct a brand new GB, make raising the new GB up to level 10 a priority.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opozicija

IMPORTANT: We always need and want to score more and more BPs for any Stratosphere GB. A good guide to follow is to always have 5 more levels unlocked above the current GB level. So always be on the hunt for cheap blueprints from these GBs. By the same token, NEVER trade in blueprints 2:1 for any of these GBs (except to complete the original set to construct the GB). You will unlock more GB levels over time by never exchanging BPs. And for GBs such as Arc and CF, it is well worth spending 200 diamonds to complete a level unlock, if your CF/Arc are already max level and no one can donate FPs to it.

Rain forest maybe as solution? You mention thats is very powerfull GB.

DeletedUser28299

I think I'm in the middle of my stayover in Colonial. I made some things that look like mistakes if I had known (too early ToR and SoZ) but am generally doing well in heavy questing.

I currently have all of the strong questing buildings at 7 or 8 (ARC, Hagia 8, Marks, CDM, Lighthouse 7), with a level 3 Innovation tower and 7 SOKs + the Lord's Manor filling out for FPs and coins.

My level 8 Hagia plus the Traveling Circus keep everything enthused. I could build either Traz or FoD right now to replace the Circus. I would need to quickly level the FoD to 3 to keep everything enthused which would be no problem. Traz obviously would cover it. I can't currently play much from my computer, so I can't do GvG.

Is there any reason not to do the FoD instead of the Traz at this point? Ultimately I will have both, but if I'm not doing GvG I can do three more quests per day by filling that space with clockmakers for the months I don't have both (I'm subtracting the FoD size from that).

Similarly, since I'm not fighting very much, I suspect it would be more efficient to wait and level other buildings and then level CDM twice (to the point every other level where it gets another FP). So in the priority leveling list skipping it for levels where it does not get another forge point and then doubling up and leveling it twice to catch up when we come around the next time.

(EDIT I currently have about 300 extra population from the Innovation tower, so once I cover the happiness in the changeover either way, an expansion or two won't alter the calculations).

DeletedUser29060

I've found all of your advice and the layout of your guide to be extremely informative and well thought out. I believe I stumbled upon it right during the Spring Event but had not gotten very far reading it or in the game itself. Had I read this guide beforehand I probably would have done the event differently but, alas.

Having already spent the gambling currency on it and being lucky (or unlucky haha) enough to get it, I have to deal with its relative value right now. For now, with the goods producing building locked to my age, the set produces 5 HMA goods and 5 FP daily which is (in the short term) greater than what I would get from CdM. The set has produced 300+ FP for me since I've had it which I have used to get my other GBs (LoA 7, 5 STM, 6 HS, 2 CF I just built) leveled up at a faster pace. It offers much greater FP/tile than HQ and I've used that to leverage my GB leveling which helps me reach UBQ spamming faster through CF LoA and StM.

If we go off a 6% chance to score 5 FP per each quest and let's say we can fit 4 alchemists (24 squares not counting pop/happiness vs the 25 of the set) on average we would expect .025 FP/tile/day from those alchemists vs a 0.2 FP/tile/day (5/25) from the set. That alone seems like a big enough difference to keep it at least until the c/p/goods production get absolutely dumpstered by newer era buildings with quest rewards. But as for right now in my age it is only slightly worse. As far as plundering goes, I agree it's a weakness but it's not one that I've had to deal with it. I've never had it plundered and I have 0 defense buildings.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your feedback and experience that you present through this lengthy thread!

DeletedUser29060

As far as my question about bonus quests and such, it seems like a tricky spot to navigate! I am maybe a month or two from being able to sprint all the way to clockmakers but will probably stop in LMA for diamonds. I am hoping to score the 2 champ retreats from this summer event so I can move on without that worry. I am just now learning a little more about how to be helpful in GvG.

If I could briefly recap your advice so I understand it: we mainly use the story line quests/provinces to complete events (plus unconquered ones from earlier) since we want to open up that bonus quest line ASAP for more recurring quests? But we want to conquer just enough provinces to move our story quest along to our current age.

So I should aim to complete the whole EMA bonus quest right before I advance to LMA even if I don't do them for Event credit. I will happen to be able to use this EMA bonus quest for the summer event and hopefully save some EMA provinces if I can but as a general guideline does that sound right?

Thank you again for all your feedback and I apologize for any typos (I'm on mobile).

DeletedUser23444

Had I read this guide beforehand I probably would have done the event differently but, alas.Having already spent the gambling currency on it and being lucky (or unlucky haha) enough to get it, I have to deal with its relative value right now.

For now, with the goods producing building locked to my age, the set produces 5 HMA goods and 5 FP daily which is (in the short term) greater than what I would get from CdM. The set has produced 300+ FP for me since I've had it which I have used to get my other GBs (LoA 7, 5 STM, 6 HS, 2 CF I just built) leveled up at a faster pace.

Just so everyone knows (and you can ask any of my Noob Minions who came to my guild in a similar situation), I always temper the advice in the guide with the reality of a city. And the mantra I end up with is: "We work with what we have, at least until something else works better." So if you keep your Cherry Garden around, as long it never ends up getting plundered, and you use it to level up the other HQS GBs to the level 7-10 range, while delaying CdM construction, well that make perfect sense. But at some point (after your other HQS GBs are all level 7+), it will make more sense to sell your Cherry Garden and use the land for a CdM, which is much more lasting value to a city (HQS or no HQS).

It (Cherry Garden) offers much greater FP/tile than HQ and I've used that to leverage my GB leveling which helps me reach UBQ spamming faster through CF LoA and StM.

And please remember folks, HQS is not only about FP Production! HQS is about FPs + Goods + Medals + Supplies — we want as many of all these resources. And taken as total value of all of these resources the land used with more quest multiples of supply buildings, over time, will out-produce more total value than most special buildings. Medals make your city grow faster and HQS is king of all forms of medals production except the extra large medals packages offered in events such as the Winter or Summer events. It's a straight up 50% chance at: medals, or FPs, or BPs, or Goods. Half the quest reward we receive are of the non-coins-or-supplies variety, with 30% of all reward being goods. Stop thinking only in terms of FPs. In fact, I can make a case medals are just as important as FPs (at aleast until we purchase that final Victory Expansion that costs 340,000 medals), since available land is a huge constraint.

DeletedUser23444

If I could briefly recap your advice so I understand it: we mainly use the story line quests/provinces to complete events (plus unconquered ones from earlier) since we want to open up that bonus quest line ASAP for more recurring quests? But we want to conquer just enough provinces to move our story quest along to our current age.

Correct

So I should aim to complete the whole EMA bonus quest right before I advance to LMA even if I don't do them for Event credit. I will happen to be able to use this EMA bonus quest for the summer event and hopefully save some EMA provinces if I can but as a general guideline does that sound right?

The EMA Bonus questline is unique in that we don't get a 2nd recurring quest slot for completing it. And while I don't know this for certain, it would seem logical, that we cannot get the LMA/CA bonus quest line without competing the EMA bonus questline. But to be safe, I would say it would be best to slow play the EMA quest line, while you are in HMA, but get it off your books by the time you reach LMA. The sticky and tricky thing is that we know that Story Quest progress and also Side Quest progress can delay a Bonus Quest line showing up.

However, we don't if this work in reverse where Bonus Quests progress delays a Side Quest appearing, which might delay yet another Bonus quest line later. So to avoid all possible issues, most of our players complete EMA Barbarian quest line before leaving HMA (you get 100 diamonds in there to help buy more land). But if you want to delay that a little bit to coincide with events, that's fine, but don't delay completing it too long.

DeletedUser23444

I currently have all of the strong questing buildings at 7 or 8 (ARC, Hagia 8, Marks, CDM, Lighthouse 7), with a level 3 Innovation tower and 7 SOKs + the Lord's Manor filling out for FPs and coins.

My level 8 Hagia plus the Traveling Circus keep everything enthused. I could build either Traz or FoD right now to replace the Circus. I would need to quickly level the FoD to 3 to keep everything enthused which would be no problem. Traz obviously would cover it. I can't currently play much from my computer, so I can't do GvG

Construct the Traz 1st, then the FoD. Even though you do not GvG, you can GE with units. And Traz is a MASSIVE pile-o-happiness. By the time you get to Modern Era or Post Modern Era, you will need them all: HS + Traz + Atomium + FoD. The question is not: "if to construct each of these happiness GBs and level them up?"; rather the question is: "when to construct each of these happiness GBs and level them up?"

1. HS — This is the 1st happiness GB to construct because: it is very cheap, it helps pay to level itself up, and at level 5-to level 7 removes all polish requirements from any HQS city in HMA.

2. Trz — This is the 2nd happiness GB to construct because it is the largest pile-o-happiness of all happiness GBs that we will eventually construct (we skip many of them) and getting free units is very valuable for: GvG, GE, or plunder. If you are never fighting any battles in FoE, then I don't even know why you chose to play the game. My understanding is that players can still fight GE from gaming platforms other than a PC, so you should still be able to make use of free units.

3. Atm — This is the 3rd happiness GB to construct because it offers more total value per tile than all remaining happiness GBs. Atomium actually produces more Guild Goods-per-level-per-24-hours than other GBs produce player goods. And these guild goods are always REFINED goods in the later eras, while GBs that produce player goods revert to x2 unrefined goods in ME and beyond (so an FoD in ME would produce CA player goods while Atm in ME would produce ME goods for your guild). Having Atomium and Arc to produce guild goods, means you need to donate fewer goods manually to help your guild, which means your own stockpiles rise faster. Also, Atomium is the next largest pile-o-happiness after Alcatraz.

4. FoD — This is the final happiness GB we recommend in HQS. The FoD actually has better efficiency in terms of hap-per-tile than any other GB on this list, assuming that each GB is exactly the same level. However, the FoD is the smallest GB on this list at 5x5 and thus it provides the smallest pile-o-happiness. But FoD is not just about the happy; it is also about the 24-hour player goods. Now I know that producing 24-hour CA goods from a GB while we are working HQS in CA doesn't sound very valuable (and it isn't by relative comparison to how many goods we can produce through HQS), which is why the FoD comes later on our list of GBs to Construct in Colonial Age. However, we construct the FoD (and the Atomium before it) in CA, where we can still level these GBs up the fastest (more FP production from HQS in CA than in any other period) so that we have all of that extra happiness that we will need in the eras we advance through very quickly after we leave CA behind. We also want our FoD with enough levels to help produce more PE goods while we work PE over for quest diamonds. And doesn't scoring free 24-hour PE goods sound really good?

If the game offered me more GBs that produced 24-hour player goods while also providing a decent pile-o-happiness (that was at least as efficient as any GB on this list), then I would actually construct them as well. I currently own all of these GBs. Trz=13, Atm=12, HS=12, FoD=10, which is a total of 35,421 happiness from just my GBs. However, ,y Fe city still requires 3 x Premium Cultural buildings, which all three must be polished for my city to be enthused. Now just imagine how many more cultural buildings I would require if I didn't have my GBs! But my happiness GBs are producing for me: lots of free units, lots of FPs, lots of PME goods and lots of FE goods for my guild. That is a lot of total value per tile of land.

DeletedUser23444

Rain forest maybe as solution? You mention thats is very powerfull GB.

Actually, I said the RFP is a luxury GB, since its bonus modifies a very small number. A level 10 RFP gives a +103% bonus to the base chance of scoring 1 BP from an aid click. By all known estimates, the base chance of scoring a BP from an aid click is a mere 1% (it might even be lower). Thus we get this math as a best-case scenario with a level 10 RFP:

2.03 x 0.01 = 0.0203 or a 2.03% chance to score 1 BP per aid button click.

RFP is not that good at improving our chances at BPs, especially when we can just spam more UBQs and end up with a higher % chance at scoring BPs (but only from our current time period or lower). But even if we constructed RFP, the advice would still be to always look out for more chances to score more cheap BPs for any Stratosphere GB.

DeletedUser29060

Thank you again for your responses, CR. They are very helpful. Although not HQS specific, I think you have mentioned somewhere in here a bit about eventually adding advice on efficient FP swapping to maximize rewards. I'm still trying to swap specifically onto buildings like traz, arc, and inno since I know I'll need to build those up in CA, but what about swapping without regard for BPs just for the sake of reaping some rewards as opposed to self leveling with no chance of a payback?

This is probably an issue players face regardless of play style so if anyone else has any resources or guidelines for efficient FP swapping to maximize rewards (maybe in a different thread) I'd be interesting in seeing what others have found to be most effective.

DeletedUser27023

Hello. I have read your guide several times and while my first city was well past the point that I could benefit from the guide, I did start a second city which I exclusively use your guide with. I want to ask you about Hagia Sophia. I am in EMA with a level 7 LoA and a level 7 SoA (Yes, I know I blew it building the Zeus). I have been in EMA for probably 3 months now which I'm sure is too long so I'm getting ready to move up to HMA. I know that happiness will be an issue but I just want to make sure that HS is still the "go to" GB for happiness. I hear so much trash talk about this building that I even question whether to keep it in my PME city as well. It seems that at higher levels we have so many more choices for happiness. So yes, I feel like I don't have much choice right now for happiness in the earlier levels but is this a building that I will keep forever and should I continue to level it accordingly?

I also just quickly wanted to thank you for the huge effort in creating the guide and maintaining it over the years. It's been very helpful.

Opozicija

Hello. I have read your guide several times and while my first city was well past the point that I could benefit from the guide, I did start a second city which I exclusively use your guide with. I want to ask you about Hagia Sophia. I am in EMA with a level 7 LoA and a level 7 SoA (Yes, I know I blew it building the Zeus). I have been in EMA for probably 3 months now which I'm sure is too long so I'm getting ready to move up to HMA. I know that happiness will be an issue but I just want to make sure that HS is still the "go to" GB for happiness. I hear so much trash talk about this building that I even question whether to keep it in my PME city as well. It seems that at higher levels we have so many more choices for happiness. So yes, I feel like I don't have much choice right now for happiness in the earlier levels but is this a building that I will keep forever and should I continue to level it accordingly?

I also just quickly wanted to thank you for the huge effort in creating the guide and maintaining it over the years. It's been very helpful.

Take a look at top 10 players in your world and I am sure that you will find HS in at least 9/10 cities. In D world, top player have it on lvl 82! CR could only c/p what he already wrote about HS.. Anyway, build it and work on it! ;)

DeletedUser26965

Take a look at top 10 players in your world and I am sure that you will find HS in at least 9/10 cities. In D world, top player have it on lvl 82!
Now let's look at the actual numbers; US Server, 23 Worlds, 98/230 43% of top 10 players have HS. The majority of those were level 10 or below. I doubt any of the top 10 do HQ.

jxhxfh - Copy.JPG

A - 8
B - 5
C - 5
D - 7
E - 8
F - 8
G - 7
H - 3
J - 4
K - 8
L - 4
M - 7
N - 4
O - 2
P - 5
Q - 2
R - 2
S - 2
T - 2
U - 0
V - 2
W - 1
X - 2

DeletedUser28960

Raven,

Thank you for an excellent guide. I discovered it a couple of months back when I first entered HMA and got a Cherry Garden Set. Fast forward to today, much has happened and I am contemplating what to do next in early CA. Right now my important GBs are as follows: Arc (lvl 6), Chateau (lvl 8), Hagia Sophia (lvl 5), SmB (lvl 6) and LoA (lvl 6). I have 72 Clockmakers and coin/supplies production is a problem as I cannot do 1 UBQ for every for every clock turret quest. For the coins I am currently not getting the houses motivated, not sure why but I'm trying to fix that by adding 24hr coin production. Currently focusing on leveling up my SmB to level 7. My tavern boost is currently set to coins, but hopefully my coin problem is fixed by 24hr production and I can change that to supplies. After SmB level 7, LoA is going to level 7. I should be in better shape then (although I haven't made exact calculations). Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

While doing all this though, I am thinking of which GB to put in stix next, and also when. Both the Alcatraz as well as the Castel del Monte are strong candidates. I have seen your comments about the Alcatraz in a couple of places, it will save goods etc by fighting in GE. But on the other hand fighting in GE also requires higher A/D rate. I do not have a CdM yet, and my Zeus is level 6 my CoA is only at level 3 and I wasn't going to level them until the important GBs (Arc, Chateau, SmB and LoA) are all level 10. Happiness is currently an issue, although not big. That's why I have the Garden Ruins as well as the Maypole up. When my SmB and LoA gets to level 7, Hagia Sophia is next, going from level 5 to 7 at one go to get an extra FP. That should also help on the happiness (one of the bonuses for Alcatraz).

So... I am sort of leaning towards making CdM my next GB, and putting it down when SmB, LoA and HS are level 7, then get CdM to level 6 before focusing on Arc and Chateau again. Any thoughts? If you want to look it up, I'm on Xyr. I already know the mistake of my expansion into the wilderness, which was done prior to discovering this guide. Another mistake I just discovered is renovating some of the buildings from HMA to CA age. I have way too few SoKs, which I will try to do something about next. Appreciate any feedback you may have.

A comment not related to above questions: I struggled saving FP packs in HMA since my GBs already entered level 6. Instead of "wasting" time to level them further (to get more 10 packs) I simply stopped leveling them in HMA and saved up 5 packs as well. That went slow, so when I had around 800 FPs + getting 100 FP relic in GE, I left HMA and stayed in LMA for 10 days - but not for diamonds. It was partly to produce goods (had over 11M supplies so I had 17 talc cutters to spit out LMA goods), and mainly to be able to spend my hourly/daily FPs on research to speed up my journey to clockmaking in CA. I would say it went well, but I did not require 8M coins. I had 5M coins when leaving HMA, had as much coin production as possible in LMA during those 10 days, and then after finishing my clockmaking city I had around 2M coins. Just a reference if there is anyone out there in a similar situation.

Attachments

• hqs_in_ca.jpg
    hqs_in_ca.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 36

DeletedUser26120

Excellent guide but I can see why you're peppered with questions about GBs. I just finished that section.

I know I had one pretty much immediately - how do I get CF early?? Not likely to get PE prints by aiding early in game.

If your guide intends for players to buy w/ diamonds then that's understandable but would be nice to be explicitly stated. Otherwise, you have an easy way to get CF early? I'm all ears. I'll keep reading on, maybe there's an answer here. Thanks for posting.

DeletedUser26965

Excellent guide but I can see why you're peppered with questions about GBs. I just finished that section.

I know I had one pretty much immediately - how do I get CF early?? Not likely to get PE prints by aiding early in game.

If your guide intends for players to buy w/ diamonds then that's understandable but would be nice to be explicitly stated. Otherwise, you have an easy way to get CF early? I'm all ears. I'll keep reading on, maybe there's an answer here. Thanks for posting.
Yeah that's one of the main problems with this guide aside from the verbosity. It should have an advisory upfront on the first post for new players, especially on new worlds stating this strat hinges on CF and how to obtain it, how long it might take especially on a new world as a non diamond player and how such will effect being in guilds etc. especially given the lack of goods production early on in the strat, which isn't here I don't think aside from I think a mention some pages in to rush to EMA.