• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser27184

Don't know - something to consider. I am a week away from moving to HMA and definitely did not relish the long stay there while building up 140 FP-ten-packs. Go figure :D Just having the St Marks feed the gold quest without needing to abort cycle it and stress over it is appealing.
While I enjoy and use most of the HQS ideas (my city now sports over 50 hatters), I found this idea of sprinting wrong (and I like a lot of the special event buildings that CR don't like because they produce FP).

The reasons I found it wrong:
1. FP's are the most valuable commodity in the game (bare expansions, but they are not a commodity). The more you have, with the arc and FP swaps, them more FP you get back to invest back. Saving 1300 FP for some sprint is a waste of 1300 FP's I could use on a GB (and get back some 400 FP back to re-invest).
So I hate the idea of keeping and not using for long times the FP packs.

FP's should be used fast and furiously. To up your GB's.

2. When you just want to race an age, the HQS wont make it faster, as old plain goods buildings will produce more goods then the HQS. The FP gains from HQS after LMA are minuscule. So why use HQS? It wont earn you back enough by the time you move forward. So, I think, its better to race an age in a more standard mode (for faster and more efficient time use). Only when I park a city for a month+ I initiate HQS methodology.

DeletedUser31096

Jobu,

Hmm, perhaps, but the core principle behind HQS is rapid generation of FPs. The only reason CR wants to sprint through LMA is because he dubbed Colonial as the best age of any game to perform HQS. I can understand that because it features the smallest production buildings combined with the most opportunity for land.

It comes down to how much is lost by lingering in LMA where the efficiency of production is similar to EMA and a bit worse than HMA. If for example you had 40 Alchemists, with a square footage of (6 * 40 = 240) then you can only build 25 or so Brewing Kettles. That is a drop of 15/2 = 7 quests. 7 quests for lets say 30 days or so results in you giving up 200+ quests. Of those quests, you are giving up a potential of 20 diamonds and about five 5FP packs. However the match changes if we were to consider that you can open up the second recurring quest line in LMA.

You are also wasting a lot more gold/supplies on building up and tearing down production and housing. Presumably also giving up something in potentially good rewards from GE by operating at a lower level for a while.

Yeah I dunno...the math is not super compelling to skip LMA.

There is also the intangible of hanging around HMA forever building up 10 packs, the boredom factor should probably be considered.

I don't know, would like to hear some compelling reason to perform the LMA tech rush, right now seems like a bad idea?

DeletedUser29352

Jobu,

Hmm, perhaps, but the core principle behind HQS is rapid generation of FPs. The only reason CR wants to sprint through LMA is because he dubbed Colonial as the best age of any game to perform HQS. I can understand that because it features the smallest production buildings combined with the most opportunity for land.

It comes down to how much is lost by lingering in LMA where the efficiency of production is similar to EMA and a bit worse than HMA. If for example you had 40 Alchemists, with a square footage of (6 * 40 = 240) then you can only build 25 or so Brewing Kettles. That is a drop of 15/2 = 7 quests. 7 quests for lets say 30 days or so results in you giving up 200+ quests. Of those quests, you are giving up a potential of 20 diamonds and about five 5FP packs. However the match changes if we were to consider that you can open up the second recurring quest line in LMA.

You are also wasting a lot more gold/supplies on building up and tearing down production and housing. Presumably also giving up something in potentially good rewards from GE by operating at a lower level for a while.

Yeah I dunno...the math is not super compelling to skip LMA.

There is also the intangible of hanging around HMA forever building up 10 packs, the boredom factor should probably be considered.

I don't know, would like to hear some compelling reason to perform the LMA tech rush, right now seems like a bad idea?
I skipped LMA entirely and went straight to clockmaking. I think I had around 2000 FPs saved at the time. I was back to 2000 very quickly. I don't know of another way to produce 3-400 goods a day, 30-40 FPs (on top of the 60-70 that the city already produces) and 1000 medals. The strategy works like a charm.

DeletedUser31096

Prisca,

I assume you unlocked the second recurring quest sometime around CA?

DeletedUser29352

Prisca,

I assume you unlocked the second recurring quest sometime around CA?
Yes. It is the Mycenia quest line between LMA and CA. As someone noted, there is a "research a cultural building" quest that can kill you it you aren't current on your side quests. I went back and did all the expansion techs that I had skipped. The part of CR's advice is no longer relevant.

DeletedUser31096

So did you tech jump then did all the side quests or vice versa? I guess I should not belabor the point too much while I am still in EMA, but did wan to plan a bit.

DeletedUser29352

So did you tech jump then did all the side quests or vice versa? I guess I should not belabor the point too much while I am still in EMA, but did wan to plan a bit.
I tech jumped to CA and did the side quests before doing the techs to get to clockmakers

DeletedUser27184

I re-read my previous message, and I see that I answered from the point of view of Modern Era and forward. From this point, I think, its pointless to run HQS other then when you park the city.
Up to colonial, I agree that HQS is strong enough that it may be worth to use it constantly.
Between colonial and modern, I am not sure.
All the above is from my personal experience with the HQS methodology.

P.s.
Somewhere in this cumbersome thread, I think I remember CR saying something along those lines for the higher eras.

DeletedUser25920

Posted in a guild thread today; "Emperor Tim: May I add, I hate all that is LMA.... It's just a bad age....."

Not to mention HMA and CA are both 3x2 supply buildings while LMA is 3x3 or 3x4.

The point is that in LMA you have 2 recurring quests. HMA and earlier you only have 1.

As you progress in ages, you have the advantages of having more space, and that the rewards are better (goods are of a higher age, and the base number of medals higher). The coins and supplies you get as reward are also higher, but this is offset but the fact that unbirthday and gather X/Y supplies/coins are also more expensive.

Also the supplies production per tile is better for higher age buildings; but on the other hand the cost of the unbirthday quest increases, and the supplies needed in the 'collect X supplies' increases too steeply (increase much more than the increase of efficiency of the production buildings themselves). In BA with a high enough LoA I could collect from 2 blacksmiths and complete the "gather 1500 supplies". In LMA needs to collect from 4 buildings to complete it (Loa lvl 7) and in CA from 14 clockmakers to complete it with Loa lvl 8. (because also the clockmaker is small hence produces less in absolute terms (although more per tile).

And after CA the main problem is that you need to collect 4 (instead of 2) 24hr productions per quest, and from PE onwards 5. So CA is the last age where you can do questing efficiently. Maybe you can do a little in IndA (at least it asks for 4 productions instead of 5) and the gunsmith happens to be small (but you need to collect from 16 gunsmiths (LoA lvl 10) to complete 1 "gather 150,000 supplies".

Other considerations: the more supply buildings you have the less chance all of them will be motivated. Also LoA only applies to the first 40 collections (so if you have more than 40 supply buildings the rest of the collections will not be boosted by LoA, giving you less supplies to use in the [more expensive] unbirthday, and making it more difficult to complete the 'gather X supplies' in parallel with the 24 hr collection.

Also it depends on personal preferences, how fast you want to progress through the ages, how much patience you have for the constant cycling through quests etc. CA is the more efficient age to do questing, but which is the next more efficient I think is a toss-up between HMA and LMA. (Btw BA is also very efficient if one is willing to do a lot of clicking. Look at Glarg's guide for details; also one can do the recurring quests of recruiting units there, which by far the most efficient if one is willing to sit by and click away every 1hr).

for example in 84 tiles one can have
HMA (1 quest only): 14 Alchemists, so 7 quests
LMA (2 quests slots) 4 breweries and 4 cooperages, 2+2+2= 6 quests (the last 2 is the combined quest of collecting from both)
CA (2 quest slots): 14 clockmakers, so 7 quests, + 1 gather 110,000 supplies (LoA lvl 8 needed), so 8 quests total.

So LMA 6 quests vs HMA 7 quests, but the rewards give more medals in LMA and LMA goods are more valuable than HMA goods. Also you have 4 quests in play to cycle through (so much less clicking) compared to 1 quest (collect from alchemist), so that last point to me was quite valuable.
CA 8 quests vs LMA 6 quests, and CA rewards are more valualbe, so CA is better. However CA requires more clicking (so it is up to each person how patient they can be), and also the high number of supply buildings comes into play (whether all will be motivated, and only the first 40 get LoA boost. So the plus 1 quest, will not apply as above after the first 40 collections.)

DeletedUser31096

All of the above appears to be true, but it comes down to deciding between reduced supply buildings (3x3) vs the second recurring quest keeping in mind that in LMA you have several land expansions to absorb the pain. It is probably quite close.

The key behind Heavy Questing is actually the Unbirthday Quest. If you can pull them off in larger numbers while in HMA, then it probably kills any argument for sitting in LMA. Sure the goods are a bit more valuable, but ultimately you are after 5 FP packs to grow your GBs.

DeletedUser29218

All of the above appears to be true, but it comes down to deciding between reduced supply buildings (3x3) vs the second recurring quest keeping in mind that in LMA you have several land expansions to absorb the pain. It is probably quite close.

The key behind Heavy Questing is actually the Unbirthday Quest. If you can pull them off in larger numbers while in HMA, then it probably kills any argument for sitting in LMA. Sure the goods are a bit more valuable, but ultimately you are after 5 FP packs to grow your GBs.

There is more to what you said.

I think any person going hard in questing should park in HMA for the longest time they can. I follow my own varian of questing, which differs from CR a lot, but I think the same could be said by anyone following CR guide. By staying in HMA you have the following advantages:

1-Less clicking.

2- Easier guild expeditions. Despite being my first world and getting unlucky with CF blueprints, I have been completing 64/64 each week after ~60-90 days playing (I can't say how long it took because I didn't take notes, and I can't remember).

3-You don't get forced out of a good era because events. Once I'm "forced" out of HMA, I will still have LMA and CA where I can quest effectively.

I agree. I'm in HMA. I try to spam UBQ as many times as I can in a day. Currently have 62 alchemist. I am able to do the collect 25k coins 3 times a day.

DeletedUser29352

There is more to what you said.

I think any person going hard in questing should park in HMA for the longest time they can. I follow my own varian of questing, which differs from CR a lot, but I think the same could be said by anyone following CR guide. By staying in HMA you have the following advantages:

1-Less clicking.

2- Easier guild expeditions. Despite being my first world and getting unlucky with CF blueprints, I have been completing 64/64 each week after ~60-90 days playing (I can't say how long it took because I didn't take notes, and I can't remember).

3-You don't get forced out of a good era because events. Once I'm "forced" out of HMA, I will still have LMA and CA where I can quest effectively.
We no longer have CF to say that you don't know what you are talking about, but every reason you cite is silly. More clicls in CA means more rewards. Completing 4 levels of GE is easy in every age. If yo follow his advice, you never get "forced" out of an age. Don't waste time in HMA

I plan on staying in HMA until I get my CF, StM, HS and LoA to at least lvl 5 but probably 7. I currently have CoA instead of CDM. I'm debating replacing the CoA with CDM for the extra FP.

Last edited:

DeletedUser28861

Hi everyone! I thought you would be interested in my findings on the Rinbin unbirthday quest.......
This is strictly for informational and educational purposes....please do not let your coins and supplies just sit in your Bank rotting away!
Here are the results from doing the RINBIN UNBIRTHDAY recurring quest 500 times.

The Sample: My starting Bank: 138 Million coin and 52.4 million Supplies.
Level 8 Château. I am in Post Modern Era. Each quest I pay 110,000 Coins, and 90,000 Supplies.
The Results; in between the parenthesis ( ) is what each single reward was....

Large supply package. (150,500 supplies)........51 times. 10.2%
Small supply package. (55,900 supplies).........66 times. 13.2%
Large coin package (129,000 Coins)............41 times. 8.2%
Small coin package. (53,750 Coins)..............65 times. 13%
Goods. ( 11 Goods)...................169 times. 33.8%
Medals/Diamonds. (860 med/43 dia)..........28 times. 5.6%
BPs. ( 1 BP) .........................47 times. 9.4%
5 FP packs. ( One 5 FP pack)..........33 times. 6.6%

Discussion: MY ENDING Bank is 93.7 Million Coins, and 20.1 Million Supplies.
All 500 Quests cost me 44.3 Million Coins and 32.3 Million Supplies.

As a basic Breakdown, here is what I received for that; 23,220 Medals, 165 FPs in my inventory, 1859 Post Modern Age GOODS. YES 1859, only 43 total Diamonds and a boatload of coins and supplies.
MY thoughts......having a level 8 CF increased all my rewards, thus making me able to do ALOT more quests to get the medals and goods and Fps I wanted. As you see, my Ending bank, I still have enough to NOT worry and could easily proceed the tech tree if I want........

I read that in the Rinbin Unbirthday quest the diamond rewards only comes up once per era, so I just added that one with the medal package count. All in all it took me a couple hours over the course of two days when I had time to this, which isn't bad at all. I do recommend doing at least a 100 quest run each ERA.
PLEASE, tell me your thoughts and questions......