• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser28670

Stephen has a good point.
This strategy is too well explained. What I mean is that you will come to rely on it asking questions all day when the guide doesn't give you answers.
So most people who follow the guide will not get a real understanding of the game instead following the guide forever.

Secondly, HQing is super BORING. Ask CR. Oh, I forgot, he quit the game.

DeletedUser

Is it really such a burden on you to give some simple advice to players seeking help?
No, I do it all the time. On the Forum and in-game. Even give out goods without asking for FPs in return. I have helped dozens of players both with understanding how the game works and with building their cities.
Why do you feel the need to be rude to players seeking advice?
My intention is to be rude to the HQS advice-givers, so my apologies to those seeking advice if I have been rude to them.
Unless of course you are just compelled for some unknown reason to come here day after day to bash on how other people choose to play this game.
I come here to point out the weaknesses of this "system" so that the new players that get sucked into it get another perspective. The game is so much more fun when you don't follow a formulaic approach to it.
Seems like you only do this to make people mad,
Naw, that's just a side benefit.
That's how Karma works bud.
I'm not your "bud", and Karma doesn't actually exist.
Calling other players stupid
I'm pretty sure I haven't called the players stupid. The system, yes.
"try and fail and then go out and get a life"
If you had actually read all my posts on this thread from the first one, you would see that I started out trying to be helpful within his "system", but got jumped on by Cosmic Raven and then others because I had the audacity to not fall exactly in line with his personal version of it. The purveyors of this "system" don't brook any deviation from it, and they're not nice about it, including you. So I stopped worrying about being nice in my replies. And since this is a public forum, I have as much right to bring a different perspective here as you do to try to sell yours. So get over it.

DeletedUser26965

I think we can sum up what the sentiment Stephen Longshanks is making in the phrase "Don't drink the kool-aid". The inspiration for that term was the Jim Jones, a religious cult leader, mass suicide/murders where the followers of Jones consumed cyanide poisoning mixed with kool-aid. It's a phrase of warning to not follow blindly. And it's no surprise that throughout this post there are references to such things. The way CR presents the whole thing and responds to people it comes off like an unquestionable bible, like the beginnings of a new religion, like Scientology which was based in the Sci Fi writings of L.R. Hubbard, but here the inspiration is an online game. The followers also follow suit, getting quite offended at any questioning or criticism of it, any question requires at least 10 paragraphs of explanation, it's...just...that...important.

And so with that it's been frustrating to some degree to see new players fall into it and like a trance feel themselves as an HQ'er and run out to make a city in its image. They find themselves floundering through the game wondering when the "snowball" will begin, month after month and struggling for goods to do GE they standfast, a true believer, they will not deviate. More months pass, the payoff not coming, getting kicked from guilds for little to no participation. "THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HQ'ING" they cry out from the ether. More months, more wasted recurring quests, hardly a change, no "snowball". RO'er quits the game upon finding CR no longer plays. Let's hope they didn't find any kool-aid after.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31616

That is a bummer that Cosmic Raven quit the game, when did that happen? Did he give a good bye post here? I just came across this and started a new city to try it out. I have read the first 5-6 pages of this thread and the last few pages as well. I have 7 cities total, 4 that I am active in and the other 3 I use for quests on occaision or collect from my hedge mazes in hopes of getting diamonds.

I can see how you could become goods poor if you don't complete enough quests to get the goods you need to go up the tech tree. In my first city I certainly tried to sprint across the C-Map and now when I need to complete a event quest, I struggle to complete the Scout a new Provience. So I see some value in the HQS as i was already utilizing quest looping in my older cities.

DeletedUser28670

That is a bummer that Cosmic Raven quit the game, when did that happen? Did he give a good bye post here?
Cosmic Raven quit the game in early July of 2017 and stopped posting in the forums about the same time.
He gave no bye-bye post that I know of.

Freshmeboy

Wow...I never checked this thread before because I wasn't interested in heavy questing after checking the guide through Google...there are a HUMONGOUS amount of posts that are funny in here...what a treasure trove...! Guess I'll end up reading the whole damn thing on the throne some day...

DeletedUser31392

@Stephen Longshanks first and foremost I want to apologize for sounding so rude myself before. Bad day, bad timing. I know better than to come to forums in a bad mood, but sh*t happens and we move on.

Second, I did read through all but ~5-6 pages near the end before I started to post here. I did notice a tone in CR's voice that corresponds to what you have said. Yes he can be rude, but looking at it from his perspective he spent A LOT of time working on his method and everything involved with it. So for him to be upset when people came along and deviated from his "bible" is understandable, to a point. Did he have to be so mean? Not at all, but again sh*t happens.

Third, I myself have given advice about this method to my guildmates. They questioned me on how I am able to complete GE each week with no troops or goods buildings. I explain it to them in a summary, give them a link to this thread, and tell them not to follow it 100%, and if they have questions about it I will gladly do my best to offer them advice on how to make it work for them and their particular city and playstyle.

This method can be adapted to any Age/Era, as long as you are willing to make it work. Is it truly Heavy Questing if you don't follow CR point by point? That's debatable. I was doing a version of this method long before I came to find this thread, this only solidified my belief that it was a decent strategy to implement, and helped me tweak my own to make it work for me. On 2 of my worlds I swap between a Questing city full of butchers and a Goods production city when I start to fall short. That's adapting. If someone doesn't understand how to do that it's easy enough to explain the reasoning behind it.

The fact remains you and @sloppyjoeslayer seem bitter about being scolded at by someone who is no longer here. Get over it and move on. Yes his method is very niche, but it can easily be adapted to any playstyle, so long as you have the will to do so.

And now on to SloppyJoe's post, and this applies to Stephen as well.

Yes, some of the players that come here can be "cultish". That is a state of mind that can be difficult to break a person from. They have to make the decision themselves to break free, and we cannot force them into doing so. Comment on what they say, giving your own advice, and if they refuse to listen just ignore them and move on. It's that simple. Eventually they may learn the error of their ways and begin adapting to other things. Some may not. All we can do is plant the seed and leave it at that. If they truly want to break free they have the ability to do so, but some would rather be the follower. Be the leader. Stand up, give advice, and don't get offended when someone doesn't take it.

Play the game how you want, but don't bash on others for how they choose to play, or live their lives.

Oh and "bud" is a term synonymous to "dude" where I grew up. I was not implying we were friends or aquantices or whatever. And Karma is as real for those who believe it, just as real as God is to Christians, Allah to Muslims, Bhudda to Bhuddists, etc. It is a belief one can hold to view the rights and wrongs that happen in the world. I have seen it work day after day, so I am a believer. Does that make me crazy to some? Yeah, but whatever I don't care because I believe it to be true and no one can tell me otherwise. If I come to a time in my life where I stop believing in it, that will be my choice. Get it?;)

DeletedUser26965

lol, I'm not bitter. Look, there is no such thing as HQS, this is just recurring questing, that's all it is. There is no "method", no "plan", no "guide" except to play exactly as CR plays. And it's like a zombie apocalypse, these CR zombies popping up all over the servers in guilds, the Aid button is what they're after instead our brains though.

DeletedUser

Comment on what they say, giving your own advice, and if they refuse to listen just ignore them and move on. It's that simple.
It should be that simple, but even with Cosmic Raven gone, the faithful will still jump on anyone that gives advice that even seems to conflict with "the guide". They all seem to have become HQS experts, just like CR did, except none of them have done the work.

DeletedUser26120

We need to get back on track about discussing HQs and the playstyle surrounding them, not arguing for or against the playstyle.

If anyone else continues, I will have to take the measure of banning them from being able to post in this thread. (Yes we can do that.)

Over a quarter of the pages in this thread is nothing but arguments about (or for/against) the method so I think it's well covered by now and it's just cluttering up the thread at this point.

DeletedUser30900

I personally not following CR’s guide head to toe. However, he’s the one gave me a whole new view of this game and most of his theories are quite helpful. I don’t get the reason people flame on others who try to help new players out because they think HQers are misleading the new blood of the game. We just offering a way to play this game, you can follow this guide and be better or you can ignore it and hmmmm.. be good enough too.

DeletedUser30900

That’s not the reason I hit the forum today though. I’m trying to figure out any HQers think pivilion is a okay building to put in the city? In CA it offers 9% supply bonus, which can makes me finish 2 or 3more RQs for providing supply(I have about 80 clockmakers) and it takes 2 clockmakers space +1*4 land which can be useful but not significant important. And the more clockmakers you have, more RQs you can finish just by the bonus from pivilion. So after all it might be a good building to have? I really wish it provides coins instead of happiness though.... no HQer needs happiness:(

DeletedUser26965

That’s not the reason I hit the forum today though. I’m trying to figure out any HQers think pivilion is a okay building to put in the city? In CA it offers 9% supply bonus, which can makes me finish 2 or 3more RQs for providing supply(I have about 80 clockmakers) and it takes 2 clockmakers space +1*4 land which can be useful but not significant important. And the more clockmakers you have, more RQs you can finish just by the bonus from pivilion. So after all it might be a good building to have? I really wish it provides coins instead of happiness though.... no HQer needs happiness:(
I'm not an "HQ'er" but I do a lot of recurring quests and it seems to me anything that allows you to do more recurring quests the better for a recurring quester.

Link: Pavilion

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29352

A few do, most don't. That is why the majority of posts on this thread are stupid questions, asking, "What should I do? Something not specifically covered in the parts of the guide that I read happened and I'm lost!" I would bet you can't find a page of this guide (except maybe the first one) that doesn't have one of those type questions on it.

By the way, this is not unique to this guide, or even this game. People that find a formula/guide that someone else has provided, and follow it instead of figuring things out for themselves almost always fall into this trap of getting into whatever they're doing, running across something not covered in the formula/guide, and then have no clue what to do. Because they only have a surface understanding of whatever it is they're doing. They rely solely on the formula/guide, and never bother finding out the how or why of what they're attempting to do.
One of the best parts about the guide is that he explained the rationale for his technique at the outset. That is why this guide works wonderfully even though he didn’t finish half of what he intended to finish. He gave enough information so that anyone can take what he gave and their understanding of the game and do wonderfully. If you’re thinking ahead, as you should, then you by definition have an understanding of the game.

DeletedUser

One of the best parts about the guide is that he explained the rationale for his technique at the outset. That is why this guide works wonderfully even though he didn’t finish half of what he intended to finish. He gave enough information so that anyone can take what he gave and their understanding of the game and do wonderfully. If you’re thinking ahead, as you should, then you by definition have an understanding of the game.

You're wrong, but since we've been warned not to disrupt this "wonderfully" written guide with any other perspective, I'll pass on responding further.