• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser31440

Hi guys, I am trying to get the 2nd recurring questline to appear. I think I am at a critical juncture.

I have just conquered the 2nd LMA deposit, along with the 3 provinces after it. Now I have 3 scout options, 2 of them are in the 30,000s range (expected upcoming CA provinces) but one is 13,000. I'm assuming that is a bonus questline?

Is it the recurring questline province? Do I scout it first? I am at the beginning of CA tech tree and I know there's a specific order to things to get the 2nd recurring before you get to indy.

Advice appreciated, thank you.

My current story quest is "damsel in distress" - scout province south of cragshire/infiltrate 2 sectors of that province. Have cleared monastery storyline.

I believe the below will help out, if not somewhere in the thread that this was from it should give an answer. It's from the thread, "Continent map progress and Recurring Quests" in the Questions section:

An update, as I have now progressed to the IndA map on both of my cities. In my main city I wanted to avoid tirggering the bonus quest, so I could keep doing CA recurring quests with 2 slots for recurring quests. In my secondary city I did not mind too much loosing the 2nd recurring quest, so I used my secondary city as a test-city, by scouting and acquiring provinces and see when Myciena appears (and then know what to avoid in my main city.)

In both cases I followed the northern route (attacking and conquering the provinces of president cartwright), as that seemed to work based on what Jaeils had posted and the screenshot of his IndA map. I guess it should work similarly if one only attacks the provinces in the south (General Dee) instead, but I have not tested this.

Here is a link to the page that has all the maps, so one can see the province names.
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/world-map-revealed.4682/

And I have screenshot of the map in my main city (where I have not triggered the bonus quest line)
View attachment 5941

Things to note:
Conquering Garrincton enables scouting of the bonus provinces - as long as one has also conquered a province that borders said bonus province. Since Garrincton itself borders the leftmost north bonus province (Embruniez), conquering Garrincton enables one to start scouting the north bonus provinces.

-Start: Acquire Okahe
-Scout New Cragshire and Desperation (the main story quests asks to scout both, and it is safe to do so (as long as we don't attack and acquire both. I only attacked New Cragshire as I was following the northern route)
-Acquire New Cragshire
-Scout and acquire Rantford
-Scout and acquire St Marque (Note: although St Marque borders a north bonus province, this is not yet scoutable, as Garrincton is not acquired yet)
-Scout and acquire Garrincton (Now north bonus provinces become scoutable; the south bonus provinces are not yet scoutable, as we have not acquired a province that shares a border). Also a ship appears that allows us to go to PE continent if we want)
Now if events ask us to scout/acquire provinces we have all the north bonus ones to work with, and these will not trigger the Myciena bonus quest)

-Scout and acquire Desperation. The bonus quest line still does not appear, and now we can now also scout/acquire the south bonus provinces.

Now the only non-bonus provinces remaining are: Las Penas and Dragon city
I had made a guess a few months ago that maybe we need to acquire all the provinces to trigger the quest, but that is wrong. Because with next step (tested in my secondary city):
-Acquire Las Penas: Myciena's bonus quest appears! (dragon city still unscouted).

I followed the northern route to get to Garrincton. I am guessing that it should work similarly if someone follows the southern route instead, ie approach Garrincton from the south, and leave Rantford and St marque unscouted. If North/South work similarly, then again the bonus provinces will become scoutable (by taking Garrincton) and Myciena's bonus quest will not appear as long as one leaves Rantford ans St Marque alone. However, I have not tested this south route scenario, so this is just a guess. But attacking the north provinces as outlined above, works. (And one can at the end also acquire Desperation but not Las Penas or Dragon city).

DeletedUser25920

I believe the below will help out, if not somewhere in the thread that this was from it should give an answer. It's from the thread, "Continent map progress and Recurring Quests" in the Questions section:

The post of mine you quoted is completely irrelevant to the question asked. That post is about the IndA map and how to not to loose the 2nd recurring quest slot once we already have it. The question is about the LMA map and how to get the 2nd side quest slot to appear. Completely different things.

As for the question quoted, getting the 2nd quest depends on completing certain story quest tasks (which are in LMA). Details of the specific story quests are given earlier in this thread, as well as in the "Continent map progress and Recurring Quests". For where you are now you must do as the the story quest asks and scout the province south of Cragshire (ie Ravens creek)

Hi guys, I am trying to get the 2nd recurring questline to appear. I think I am at a critical juncture.

I have just conquered the 2nd LMA deposit, along with the 3 provinces after it. Now I have 3 scout options, 2 of them are in the 30,000s range (expected upcoming CA provinces) but one is 13,000. I'm assuming that is a bonus questline?

Is it the recurring questline province? Do I scout it first? I am at the beginning of CA tech tree and I know there's a specific order to things to get the 2nd recurring before you get to indy.

Advice appreciated, thank you.

My current story quest is "damsel in distress" - scout province south of cragshire/infiltrate 2 sectors of that province. Have cleared monastery storyline.

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Bonus_Quests

You need to complete the bonus quest. Once you do you'll get the 2nd recurring slot

Joeyjojojo

Ok, I've searched the forum and looked through this thread (fairly thoroughly but good grief it's long) and cant find the answer to my question:

I'm in CA and the Research 2 recurring quest just stopped coming up. Still getting all the rest of the recurring quests (except military because I've got too many units). I am near the end of the tech tree for CA (just gambrel roof houses to go...and the 2 dead end goods techs back at the start). I had been doing the double research quest throughout the tech tree--pretty sure I got the diamonds from it--and figured I'd do it once more going into Industrial (probably not for a month or so), but it just doesn't show up any more.

DeletedUser31440

The post of mine you quoted is completely irrelevant to the question asked. That post is about the IndA map and how to not to loose the 2nd recurring quest slot once we already have it. The question is about the LMA map and how to get the 2nd side quest slot to appear. Completely different things.

As for the question quoted, getting the 2nd quest depends on completing certain story quest tasks (which are in LMA). Details of the specific story quests are given earlier in this thread, as well as in the "Continent map progress and Recurring Quests". For where you are now you must do as the the story quest asks and scout the province south of Cragshire (ie Ravens creek)

Yeah, I couldn't remember exactly where in that thread it covered the bonus quest, but figured if I quoted one of your posts it might bring you over here to answer the question. Either way, it looks like Dursaand should be able to find his answer now. My apologies for the misquote.

Glaun

A heads up for the individual reading this thread for the first time
This thread is one of the most difficult ones to get solid information from re: recurring quests/Heavy Questing and the second recurring quest slot. However, if the reader will take the time (and above all the patience) to read it all and sift thru it, the answers are there. The 'Continent map progress and Recurring Quests' (another thread for the IndA and HQ) is not quite so wearysum as this one, but still, you are forced to wade thru many answers, and some of which are incorrect or obscure.
There is another solution, but I am not willing (nor am able) to rewrite the entire thread.

DeletedUser29352

Research 2 disappears at the end of the tech tree. It will reappear when you level to the next age.

DeletedUser26120

Thanks, indeed all you need to do is conquer Raven's Creek and complete that corresponding quest (for 10 gunpowder and 2 musketeers reward) then you get the 2nd recurring questline. Handy, just as I'm starting to pump out a good number of supplies!

Now what do I need to do to prevent it from disappearing? What province or questline will trigger the bonus?

DeletedUser25920

Thanks, indeed all you need to do is conquer Raven's Creek and complete that corresponding quest (for 10 gunpowder and 2 musketeers reward) then you get the 2nd recurring questline. Handy, just as I'm starting to pump out a good number of supplies!

Now what do I need to do to prevent it from disappearing? What province or questline will trigger the bonus?

This has been mentioned both earlier in this thread, and at the "Continent map progress and Recurring Quests". In summary, completing the very next story quest, takes away the 2nd side quest giver and replaces it with Myciena's bonus questline.

See posts #53 and #58 in that thread

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...and-recurring-quests.16568/page-3#post-172920

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...and-recurring-quests.16568/page-3#post-172992

DeletedUser32740

Hello all!
I've read this guide and some posts in this thread. While there are good points being made here, I thought you guys might be interested in an experienced player's perspective. I've taken 4 cities to the last age at the time (my current city is in oceanic future) and 4 arcs to lvl 80, both in new worlds and old worlds. So I've been though it all.
First, I must mention that this guide is efficient only in old worlds. In new worlds things are different and the best strategy by far is sprinting though tech as fast as you can. So it is established that we are talking about how to best grow a city in an old world. Everything I will say in this post will be based on that.

Cosmis Raven's guide is solid, but he's still a beginner and hasn't grasped the big picture of this game yet. This leads to some inefficiencies in his strategy. I will try to adress the most important ones.

1. The arc
Since it's introduction, everything in this game has become centered around the arc. Getting it to lvl 80 should be a top priority for everyone, no matter what strategy they follow. Anyone who tells you differently has no idea what they're talking about. With all his talk about thinking ahead and his ridiculous chess vs checkers comparison, Cosmic Raves is very short sighted. He tried to demonstrate that leveling the arc from 10 to 11 for 1% bonus is not efficient. Well, no shit. You don't level it for that 1%, you do it to unlock the next levels, so you can get the building to lvl 80. It's a slow grind that you have to go through.
I will write an extensive post in Dulahan's thread about the arc, so I won't go into details here.
All I'll say is this: if you follow CR's guide, you should stay in colonial to get your arc to lvl 80. It will be a massive boost to the snowball strategy.

2. Other great buildings
I mostly agree with what Cosmic Raven reccomends, but some of his advice is inneficient. Examples:

- Don't keep all the buildings at the same level, as CR suggests. Some are more important than others. Others are more efficient if they stay at low levels.

- The only happiness buildings you should ever build are Hagia Sofia and Alcatraz. And only build HS if you plan to stay in colonial a long time. Too much importance is given to happiness. This is a general point. I always advise people leaving the early ages to forget about happiness and take the -50% production hit because it's far more efficient than investing the space and forge points necessary to get to 100% happiness. 140% happiness for 20% bonus is ridiculously inefficient.
The only time you can argue happiness is relevant is in the ages before industrial, because it is easy to get 140%. So if you plan to stay in colonial a long time, building a sofia and an alcatraz to get to 140% is a good ideea. They give forge points and troops respectively. None of the other happiness buildings should ever be built.

- Castel del Monte in high medieval doesn't help with the snowball, it impedes it. Focus on the San Marco, Lighthouse and Chateau Frontenac. HS should be leveled enough to keep happiness at 140%.

- Build the Temple as soon as you start producing lots of goods. It's the best forge points building in the long run if you do 64/48 GE every week (and you should, if you follow the guide). But keep it at lvl 3. Only go beyond this when you decide to "stratosphere" it.

- Build the Royal Albert Hall early-mid colonial. It helps significantly with the snowball.

- Keep the RAH and the LoA at lvl 6-8. The amount of forge points needed to get them to lvl 10 is not worth the bonus those levels give. Never level them past this point. San Marco can be brought to lvl 10, since its bonus per level is quite large.

- The innovation tower is the only population building you'll need. Level it as neccesary. Don't build the Habbitat until very late into the game, when a lvl 70 inno tw + a few houses aren't enough.

- Only build Zeus, Aachen and del Monte after you have your snowball buildings at the max wanted levels. The att bonus is useless in colonial. When their turn does come, take CdM to lvl 10 first. Then place the other two.

- Never raise a building past lvl 10 until you have the lvl 80 arc.

To summarise, the most efficient way to implement CR's HQ is to build and level in this order:

Arc to lvl 10 (if you can get cheap goods)
SM, CF to lvl 10
LoA to lvl 6-7
HS to lvl 3-4
Temple to lvl 3

Arc to lvl 10 (even if the goods are expensive)
RAH to lvl 6-7

Inno Tower to lvl 2-3
Alcatraz to lvl 3 (only if you have the rogue hideout)

Arc to lvl 80
Raise the Inno Tw when you need population. Raise HS and/or Alcatraz to keep happinnes at 140%.

HS to lvl 10
Alcatraz to lvl 10
Inno Tower to lvl 10
CdM to lvl 10

Zeus to lvl 10
CoA to lvl 10

Cape, AO and Kraken should only be built when you plan to "stratosphere" them. Keeping them at low level is a waste of space and fps.
All other great buildings are inefficient and should only be built for fun.

3. Special buildings
Terrace farms and SSWs are vastly more efficient than clockmakers. Keep enough clockmakers to stockpile goods while doing 64/48 GE and demolish the rest for fps production buildings. Prioritize soks, then SSWs, then TFs, then others (some special buildings are even better than soks; compare them and decide for yourself).

4. Defense
NEVER build any sort of defensive buildings. CR says this aswell, but he also says not to place buildings that can be plundered. That's just silly. Do not worry about being plundered. If your neighbours want to waste their time attacking you, let them. Just set a time when you know you can play and gather your resources while doing quests at that time every day.
Even if you get plundered daily, it's more efficient to let yourself be plundered then to waste space and/or fps with defensive buildings or to not build fp production buildings. And you will get your revenge when you'll snipe their buildings for hundreds of fps every week.

There is more to say. I will update this post when I have the time. Thank you for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser32348

I need some guide on levelling GBs and swaps; the best way to level a GB faster

DeletedUser32761

Hello all!
I've read this guide and some posts in this thread. While there are good points being made here, I thought you guys might be interested in an experienced player's perspective. I've taken 4 cities to the last age at the time (my current city is in oceanic future) and 4 arcs to lvl 80, both in new worlds and old worlds. So I've been though it all.
First, I must mention that this guide is efficient only in old worlds. In new worlds things are different and the best strategy by far is sprinting though tech as fast as you can. So it is established that we are talking about how to best grow a city in an old world. Everything I will say in this post will be based on that.

Cosmis Raven's guide is solid, but he's still a beginner and hasn't grasped the big picture of this game yet. This leads to some inefficiencies in his strategy. I will try to adress the most important ones.

1. The arc
Since it's introduction, everything in this game has become centered around the arc. Getting it to lvl 80 should be a top priority for everyone, no matter what strategy they follow. Anyone who tells you differently has no idea what they're talking about. With all his talk about thinking ahead and his ridiculous chess vs checkers comparison, Cosmic Raves is very short sighted. He tried to demonstrate that leveling the arc from 10 to 11 for 1% bonus is not efficient. Well, no shit. You don't level it for that 1%, you do it to unlock the next levels, so you can get the building to lvl 80. It's a slow grind that you have to go through.
I will write an extensive post in Dulahan's thread about the arc, so I won't go into details here.
All I'll say is this: if you follow CR's guide, you should stay in colonial to get your arc to lvl 80. It will be a massive boost to the snowball strategy.

2. Other great buildings
I mostly agree with what Cosmic Raven reccomends, but some of his advice is inneficient. Examples:

- Don't keep all the buildings at the same level, as CR suggests. Some are more important than others. Others are more efficient if they stay at low levels.

- The only happiness buildings you should ever build are Hagia Sofia and Alcatraz. And only build HS if you plan to stay in colonial a long time. Too much importance is given to happiness. This is a general point. I always advise people leaving the early ages to forget about happiness and take the -50% production hit because it's far more efficient than investing the space and forge points necessary to get to 100% happiness. 140% happiness for 20% bonus is ridiculously inefficient.
The only time you can argue happiness is relevant is in the ages before industrial, because it is easy to get 140%. So if you plan to stay in colonial a long time, building a sofia and an alcatraz to get to 140% is a good ideea. They give forge points and troops respectively. None of the other happiness buildings should ever be built.

- Castel del Monte in high medieval doesn't help with the snowball, it impedes it. Focus on the San Marco, Lighthouse and Chateau Frontenac. HS should be leveled enough to keep happiness at 140%.

- Build the Temple as soon as you start producing lots of goods. It's the best forge points building in the long run if you do 64/48 GE every week (and you should, if you follow the guide). But keep it at lvl 3. Only go beyond this when you decide to "stratosphere" it.

- Build the Royal Albert Hall early-mid colonial. It helps significantly with the snowball.

- Keep the RAH and the LoA at lvl 6-8. The amount of forge points needed to get them to lvl 10 is not worth the bonus those levels give. Never level them past this point. San Marco can be brought to lvl 10, since its bonus per level is quite large.

- The innovation tower is the only population building you'll need. Level it as neccesary. Don't build the Habbitat until very late into the game, when a lvl 70 inno tw + a few houses aren't enough.

- Only build Zeus, Aachen and del Monte after you have your snowball buildings at the max wanted levels. The att bonus is useless in colonial. When you do start leveling them, take CdM to lvl 10 first. Then place the other two.

- Never raise a building past lvl 10 until you have the lvl 80 arc.

To summarise, the most efficient way to implement CR's HQ is to build and level in this order:

Arc to lvl 10 (if you can get cheap goods)
SM, CF to lvl 10
LoA to lvl 6-7
HS to lvl 3-4
Temple to lvl 3

Arc to lvl 10 (even if the goods are expensive)
RAH to lvl 6-7

Inno Tower to lvl 2-3
Alcatraz to lvl 3 (only if you have the rogue hideout)

Arc to lvl 80
Raise the Inno Tw when you need population. Raise HS and/or Alcatraz to keep happinnes at 140%.

HS to lvl 10
Alcatraz to lvl 10
Inno Tower to lvl 10
CdM to lvl 10

Zeus to lvl 10
CoA to lvl 10

Cape, AO and Kraken should only be built when you plan to "stratosphere" them. Keeping them at low level is a waste of space and fps.
All other great buildings are inefficient and should only be built for fun.

3. Special buildings
Terrace farms and SSWs are vastly more efficient than clockmakers. Keep enough clockmakers to stockpile goods while doing 64/48 GE and demolish the rest for fps production buildings. Prioritize soks, then SSWs, then TFs, then others (some special buildings are even better than soks; compare them and decide for yourself).

4. Defense
NEVER build any sort of defensive buildings. CR says this aswell, but he also says not to place buildings that can be plundered. That's just silly. Do not worry about being plundered. If your neighbours want to waste their time attacking you, let them. Just set a time when you know you can play and gather your resources while doing quests at that time every day.
Even if you get plundered daily, it's more efficient to let yourself be plundered then to waste space and/or fps with defensive buildings or to not build fp production buildings. And you will get your revenge when you'll snipe their buildings for hundreds of fps every week.

There is more to say. I will update this post when I have the time. Thank you for reading :)

What's the best method for getting an Arc quickly? I have LoA and HS (working on SM next). I suppose I know how to get the prints (though difficult because those more advanced will likely snipe), but I have no idea how to even come close to getting those resources. How could you build the arc in the colonial like you are suggesting?

DeletedUser31440

What's the best method for getting an Arc quickly? I have LoA and HS (working on SM next). I suppose I know how to get the prints (though difficult because those more advanced will likely snipe), but I have no idea how to even come close to getting those resources. How could you build the arc in the colonial like you are suggesting?

You buy the goods for fp's. Ask in your guild to see if anyone is selling the goods, if not, go to the GB rankings page and find people that have a level 1 of whatever GB you are going for and send them messages asking who they bought the goods from. What world are you on?

DeletedUser32874

Hi Guys,

I'm currently at LMA on Z world. So if I want to try this CR, where should I start? or it's too late?

Thanks for help!

Glaun

Hi Guys,

I'm currently at LMA on Z world. So if I want to try this CR, where should I start? or it's too late?

Thanks for help!
Go back to the first page of this thread. You are on page 54 now and in the comments section to CR's Guide to Heavy Questing. Be prepared for some long winded and pompous reading and a modified or perhaps new way of playing FoE. I have tried it and so far am quite pleased with the results.

DeletedUser31498

Curious if anyone here thinks the DT might be underappreciated, especially if camping in a lowish Era. Depending on one's friend list, and ability to sell goods for FPs to hood/guild, DT seems like the most efficient FP production building of all. If one could amass enough Arctic/Future friends, even level 1 is likely worth 6 FPs ? Tomorrow era goods are never in demand it seems, and people in Oceanic have billions of useless tomorrow goods so probably can build it very cheaply?

DeletedUser31440

Curious if anyone here thinks the DT might be underappreciated, especially if camping in a lowish Era. Depending on one's friend list, and ability to sell goods for FPs to hood/guild, DT seems like the most efficient FP production building of all. If one could amass enough Arctic/Future friends, even level 1 is likely worth 6 FPs ? Tomorrow era goods are never in demand it seems, and people in Oceanic have billions of useless tomorrow goods so probably can build it very cheaply?

Unless you have people that are looking to buy one offs of FE goods it probably won't be too useful to do that. I'm guessing that most people buying goods for fp's are only interested in complete sets of goods for GB's, if you can find someone (tucker comes to mind) who would want to buy a few FE goods every day or few days it may be worthwhile. Interesting thought though turning the goods from DT into fp's, I hadn't thought about it before.

DeletedUser27184

I also think the DT is underrated.
The high era goods are always useful to build your own GB's or to sell them.
It's easy to get OF friends, and TE is the unrefined goods of OF, so it's easy to get them.
So yes, I think that if you intend on parking over time in a low era, you should go for DT asap. It takes months to gather enough goods for any single high era GB.

DeletedUser32439

hi,
1:) the oracle of delphi, i'm only at page 20 in this thread, but is this GB worth taking, since every new player now gets one....e.g @ lvl 10, will it be ok grouped with HS and no traz.

2:) on one server i am @ HMA, gathering resources to do the push to CA, but i want to get all diamonds in LMA.
so does anyone have a plan on the most efficient way to do these recurrig quests...eg. would you do 1 quest at a time ( design the city to do the warrior ones ,then redesign to do the resources ones ,then redesign to do produce 2x , then redesign to do coins..etc) or treat it like your going to stay and build a city for brewery's and complete the other recurring quests at a slow rate.

i hope that made sence.