• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser23444

exactly. I call those "quest multiples". However, if you have an extra building that is okay to, because a misclick could cost you a quest.

DeletedUser28015

Thank you so much. I'm guessing, according to your article and tell me if I'm way off, make a ton of tannery buildings that will produce a amount of supplies that will equal the repeatable quest, as you stated if it's asking for 2 bear skins which take a day to make, I should have as many as I can place x2 each so that 1 quest can be completed. Example, if I had 6 tanners I can complete that quest 3x every 24 hours.

In case it's not clear, you don't want to produce supplies to equal the recurring supply request, you want all your shoemakers (or tanneries, but shoemakers produce more supplies so if you've unlocked them, build them only, not tanneries) on 24 hour production to hit the recurring quest for excellent boots, and you abort all the other recurring requests (with exceptions; see below) until you get back to excellent boots, and you do that over and over for each of your shoemakers. If you have 50 shoemakers, then you can satisfy the quest 25 times / day. 6 is way too small ... should be able to plan your city to build far more than that.

The exception is that, if you're ready to satisfy other quests such as unlock 2 technologies, do that too. Once you've got no more quests that you can match, abort through until you get to the coins quest, and gather coins throughout the day and you can match that quest a few times as well.

DeletedUser28015

exactly. I call those "quest multiples". However, if you have an extra building that is okay to, because a misclick could cost you a quest.

Yeah, that happens, and having the spare saves some cursing (and makes you extra careful on the rest of your clicks).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28446

In case it's not clear, you don't want to produce supplies to equal the recurring supply request, you want all your shoemakers (or tanneries, but shoemakers produce more supplies so if you've unlocked them, build them only, not tanneries) on 24 hour production to hit the recurring quest for excellent boots, and you abort all the other recurring requests (with exceptions; see below) until you get back to excellent boots, and you do that over and over for each of your shoemakers. If you have 50 shoemakers, then you can satisfy the quest 25 times / day. 6 is way too small ... should be able to plan your city to build far more than that.

The exception is that, if you're ready to satisfy other quests such as unlock 2 technologies, do that too. Once you've got no more quests that you can match, abort through until you get to the coins quest, and gather coins throughout the day and you can match that quest a few times as well.
I would but I made 6 tanners already. It's all I can fit in the area I have. I have 5 tailors already who I keep going as well which has the best production but I see where your going with this. Shoemakers make more supplies per hour than the tanner. I was only going by what raven stated that tanners were the best in that era.

DeletedUser28015

I would but I made 6 tanners already. It's all I can fit in the area I have. I have 5 tailors already who I keep going as well which has the best production but I see where your going with this. Shoemakers make more supplies per hour than the tanner. I was only going by what raven stated that tanners were the best in that era.

Get rid of the tailors ... they are taking up space that can be used for shoemakers. (as CR wrote, "However, constructing special or premium supply buildings in ME or earlier is a complete waste of land, since the value of quest rewards will greatly augment the efficiency of regular supply production buildings in those periods.")

And what else is your city crammed with? I don't remember how many shoemakers I had when I was in EMA, but I've currently got 22 butchers in my Iron Age city on my other world. You shouldn't have any decorations or goods production buildings, and the bare minimum of cultural buildings (and roadways, which are a good source of happiness since they don't consume polivations) to keep enthusiastic the bare minimum population to staff the tanneries/shoemakers.

Tanneries are available early in the EMA tech tech tree, but once shoemakers are unlocked they are superior. CR should update the info.

DeletedUser28446

Thx Zot Basically I have 3 goods building which I guess ill get rid of, several homes but that can and will change once i see what happiness i need to get to. Some military building, 2 archers, 1 mounted archers, 1 rogue hideout,1 armored infantry, 1 heavy cavalry and merc barracks. Zeus, LoA.
Ill reconfigure to this new style. I guess its just such a culture shock doing this so unconventionally from the typical FoE method.

DeletedUser28286

I think the reason CR has tanneries listed as the most efficient instead of shoemaker is because tanneries require less population per building. Both are 3x3, and the shoemaker does give more supplies, but I could have six tanneries for every four shoemakers in my city. Scale that up to 24 shoemakers for every 36 tanneries... I could get six more quests in per day with tanneries than shoemakers. It's not about the quantity of supplies you're making, unless you're going for make X number of supplies quest that is frankly so much less efficient than the 2x 24 hr quest.

DeletedUser28015

I think the reason CR has tanneries listed as the most efficient instead of shoemaker is because tanneries require less population per building. Both are 3x3, and the shoemaker does give more supplies, but I could have six tanneries for every four shoemakers in my city. Scale that up to 24 shoemakers for every 36 tanneries... I could get six more quests in per day with tanneries than shoemakers. It's not about the quantity of supplies you're making, unless you're going for make X number of supplies quest that is frankly so much less efficient than the 2x 24 hr quest.

You're right, I didn't account for the pop cost. Of course, you have to lay out your city such that you can make use of all the space without holes.

DeletedUser28015

Thx Zot Basically I have 3 goods building which I guess ill get rid of, several homes but that can and will change once i see what happiness i need to get to. Some military building, 2 archers, 1 mounted archers, 1 rogue hideout,1 armored infantry, 1 heavy cavalry and merc barracks. Zeus, LoA.
Ill reconfigure to this new style. I guess its just such a culture shock doing this so unconventionally from the typical FoE method.

Note what Cosmic Raven writes about military:

"Unit production consumes a lot of: time, land, population, offsetting happiness, coins, and supplies. The Heavy Questing Strategy intentionally goes as light on unit production as we can, while still allowing us to reliably complete GE, and help our guild at least a little bit in the lower ages of GvG. However, we do ramp up our military capability more in the Colonial Age and beyond."

DeletedUser28446

Note what Cosmic Raven writes about military:

"Unit production consumes a lot of: time, land, population, offsetting happiness, coins, and supplies. The Heavy Questing Strategy intentionally goes as light on unit production as we can, while still allowing us to reliably complete GE, and help our guild at least a little bit in the lower ages of GvG. However, we do ramp up our military capability more in the Colonial Age and beyond."
I just feel I need to help out the guild in some military fashion. I did eliminate all the tailors and the goods buildings and now i have 20 Tanners on my land. The only thing now is maybe eliminating some houses. I have a available population of 900 but as I expand I'll need them when I place more tanners

DeletedUser23444

Precisely!

DeletedUser23444

I just feel I need to help out the guild in some military fashion. I did eliminate all the tailors and the goods buildings and now i have 20 Tanners on my land. The only thing now is maybe eliminating some houses. I have a available population of 900 but as I expand I'll need them when I place more tanners

The best thing you can do for your guild, is always expand your city and make it more capable. You are in a really lower age, and to be honest EMA GvG doesn't score a guild much guild power. Keep just enough units to complete GE each week at least through level 2. Also, only stay in EMA as long as it takes for each recurring quest to pay you 20 diamonds. Alchemy is one tech inside of HMA, and you can quest more efficiently in HMA than EMA. But be sure you work each EMA quest to pays 20 diamonds, which is basically 1 land expansion for you. Remember, if you see a specific quest pays you medals, then it has already paid you diamonds.

DeletedUser28446

The best thing you can do for your guild, is always expand your city and make it more capable. You are in a really lower age, and to be honest EMA GvG doesn't score a guild much guild power. Keep just enough units to complete GE each week at least through level 2. Also, only stay in EMA as long as it takes for each recurring quest to pay you 20 diamonds. Alchemy is one tech inside of HMA, and you can quest more efficiently in HMA than EMA. But be sure you work each EMA quest to pays 20 diamonds, which is basically 1 land expansion for you. Remember, if you see a specific quest pays you medals, then it has already paid you diamonds.
Ok this was going to be my next question, you answered it already. I was going to ask when will I know when I can advance to the next era.

DeletedUser28446

Wow I cant believe not everyone does this. I did it 2 rounds on a 24 hour cycle and i cant get over the amount of goods and supplies you receive. I got the 20 diamonds from the collect coins, make 2 bear hides and the Jester quest already. 60 diamonds for 2 days work that's insane. I have another repeatable quest that comes up and that's make 2 bear hides and 2 perfect shoes. I don't have any shoemakers up and my land is completely full of tanners, 24 to be exact.

DeletedUser28015

Wow I cant believe not everyone does this. I did it 2 rounds on a 24 hour cycle and i cant get over the amount of goods and supplies you receive. I got the 20 diamonds from the collect coins, make 2 bear hides and the Jester quest already. 60 diamonds for 2 days work that's insane. I have another repeatable quest that comes up and that's make 2 bear hides and 2 perfect shoes. I don't have any shoemakers up and my land is completely full of tanners, 24 to be exact.

Ahem ...

NOTE: There will always be one produce supplies quest corresponding to every regular supply building in each time period. While most time periods have three different regular supply production buildings, some periods only have two; in such periods, there will be a third quest to: "Produce M x <name of 24-hour production from building A> and Produce N x <name of 24-hour production from building B>". This third "produce supplies" quest actually doubles the total number of required 24-hour productions to complete it, so it is a complete waste of time to work this quest—just abort-cycle past it.

DeletedUser25166

Not everyone does this because some of us like GvG, other GB's and different buildings while we advance. This is not for everyone

DeletedUser28102

"You shouldn't have any decorations" ," Of course, you have to lay out your city such that you can make use of all the space without holes."

Are there any guides for efficient layouts ? I seem to always have areas where only decorations will fit.

DeletedUser22276

well it would liven up the game, as it is a very single platform game