1. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Changelog 1.156

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.156 will take place on Wed, July 10, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. GvG Improvements

Hello Queens and Kings,
    We'd like to keep you updated on what we're planning to do, as we're about to get started on implementing the following improvements, and would love to hear some community insight into if you feel these additions address some of the fundamental issues GvG faces.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Changelog 1.157

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.157 will take place on Wed, July 24, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

[Not A Bug] CPU/Memory drain issue

Discussion in 'Addressed' started by Dursland, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Dursland

Dursland I am Dursland Forum Moderator

Seems since the last update FoE is forcing Flash to use more CPU and memory than usual.

When I first load up a fresh session of FoE, Chrome task manager reports that flash is using a reasonable 500mb of RAM.

However as I play GE, open tech tree, open tavern, open event, open messages, so on - the RAM usage of flash goes up to a staggering 1.8 GB! When you have a system with only 2.4 GB usable in the first place, that's a real problem.

The CPU usage will also go to 80-90% and slow everything else down.

Please look into this. I have a 2 ghz single core computer with 3 GB (2.4 usable) RAM. This is intolerable.

Can provide screenshots of high RAM/CPU usage if needed. Am on debian linux running latest version of Chrome with flash enabled, if that matters.

2. Dursland

I was hoping others would post similar problems after seeing this but I suppose not everyone is limited to 3GB of RAM, but there still should be something that can be done - compression, optimization, etc.

Here is a screenshot of FoE in action:

[​IMG]

I have to kill the flash process every time I want to do anything else significant on the computer.

3. Dursland

FoE decided it wasn't using quite enough cpu so now the result:

[​IMG]

I can continue to hold out hopes that this will be addressed or that a dev will at least reply, explaining why this can't be fixed.

Thank you.

4. jaelis

jaelis Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that devs don't come to the forum. Your best bet to make sure the devs are aware of your problem is to file a ticket with support. They won't be able to help, but if they get a number of similar complaints then the developers may have enough information to see what is going on.

Dursland likes this.
  5. rsdecarr

rsdecarr Guest

They could lighten the load a lot if they got rid of all the trackers. Google and Yahoo ad tracking alone is huge. I had no idea I was being spied on so much here.

6. jaelis

jaelis Well-Known Member

I don't get much in the way of ads or ad tracking for the game. Are you sure you don't have some other malware causing problems?

7. rsdecarr

rsdecarr Guest

You'd be surprised how many trackers are running when you play this game. I run several blockers and can see them as they load. Forge of Empires runs Google and Yahoo trackers every time you load. You can't see them without an add-on interface. They follow everything you do. I had a hard time blocking them at first. "Adblocker+" doesn't do it. I run "Disconnect" and "RequestPolicy". With some work, I've managed to block them from tracking me here, finally. The added load from them can't help with an already screwed up Adobe Flash Player. They update it constantly, and it's still constantly screwed up. Something did change with the last update. CPU/Memory drain went through the roof.

Dursland likes this.
  8. jaelis

jaelis Well-Known Member

Are these cookie based or some other thing? I just check my cookies so if the aren't using them then I probably wouldn't know about it.
    Anyway what are they tracking?

9. rsdecarr

rsdecarr Guest

10. Dursland

Interesting information.

I'm buying a 3.1 ghz quad core with 8gb RAM and 4gb video card next month so I shouldn't have issues anymore but they should still fix this.

11. rsdecarr

rsdecarr Guest

I have a pretty muscular system, and still have issues. I think a lot of it is Adobe Flash Player. Adobe has been a mess since day one, and update after update it doesn't get much better. I don't recommend Chrome or even Microsoft, if you care the slightest about your privacy. No matter what browser you use sites like this are selling you out and exposing you to Google, Yahoo, and other ad trackers. They track everything you do on the internet. They arent the biggest cause of the slowdown, but they are a BIG factor in slowing down loading of pages. I highly recommend you look into at least "Disconnect" or "Ghostery" add-ons. They won't stop it all, but they'll stop a lot. The biggest problem is that sites like this sell out to the Googles and Yahoo's. Well, the biggest problem is Adobe Flash Player. It is complete mess.

Dursland likes this.
  12. Dursland

Updating: now that I've gotten a new computer this isn't as much of a problem. Flash still regularly goes over 2GB but I don't notice anymore.

One thing has changed - flash seems to crash after a while, once it gets to around 2.5 GB of usage. The game will start getting sluggish then eventually crashes. This doesn't bother me at all as it frees up memory periodically and all the reloads keeps FoE snappy. It only happens 3 or 4 times a day so it's not troublesome, as you can go right back in the game and pick up from where you left off.

Anybody else experiencing this? I don't know if it's due to a FoE change, a flash update, or some unique configuration of my OS.

13. Lord HardDriven

Lord HardDriven New Member

Yeah, unfortunately much of the Flash problem is due to poor implementation. The only thing I have found that definitely improves how this game runs was to switch to a different browser. I started using IE 11 from Windows 10, it would work okay at first but I also have a fairly beefy machine, 8 Cores, 32GB System memory, 2 GTX960's with 2GB video ram each running in an sLi configuration. Anyway as I said it works okay at first but soon locks up and the browser needs to be closed and restarted. Then a good friend I made here in FoE tells me about this browser made by people who's goal was to created a browser designed primarily around working with flash. It's called Comodo IceDragon. It's a variation of the popular Firefox browser. Anyway with this, things load faster and I almost never lock up.

All that above being said, there does seem to be a change for the worst. A few weeks ago Flash upgraded their software and right around the same time and update was released and ever since then it's been supper slow to open, taking as long as 15 or 20 minutes just to load my city.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  14. ardak kumerin

ardak kumerin Well-Known Member

Me.
    Recently I've had the same issues.
    Twice I had Flash Crash.
    After the reload it's better.
    What I do now is when it starts getting laggy, I refresh my screen.
    Then it's alright.
    All MMO games have these issues.
    Every single one.

s-l225.jpg

Annoying at times, but natural.

15. ardak kumerin

I've never had it that bad.
    It will lag for about 10 seconds when I open my troop tray display.

16. ardak kumerin

Update too.
    I went to look at a friend's city and my game totally locked.
    I had to reload FoE to get it working again.
    I've never seen it this bad.

Still playable but the issue exists.

17. al bundy 007

al bundy 007 Member

I have the same problem on my Windows PC. I think the problem is actually flash player which I've had trouble with in the past. It just doesn't seem to recycle memory correctly. Basically, when I play FoE on my PCI close anything else that uses flash player.

18. al bundy 007

al bundy 007 Member

One other thing, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but this is how I deal with this issue.

I keep the Windows task manager open and monitor my memory usage whenever I I'm in the game. My system has 4G of ram, as soon as the task manager shows 3G memory in use I start to hit the performance issues. When this happens I simply use the task manager to kill the flashplayer process. After killing the process you have to reload the game but it goes very quickly. After this my memory usage goes back down to 1.5G - 1.75G and things are (usually) fine.

I've discovered I can also exit the game, kill all my browser windows, exit the browser and then restart everything and achieve the same results. The game is running fine and my system is back to using 1.5 - 1.75G.

19. Dursland

That's what I used to do too, just kill flash once it hit 2gb. Now it crashes on its own when it hits around that so that's one way to solve the problem.

I upgraded from a system with 3.5 gb of RAM to one with 7.5 gb and it didn't completely fix the problem. So we can confirm it's the game doing this but a fix is unlikely unless the whole game is redone in HTML5.

rsdecarr likes this.
  20. Truelaw

Truelaw Member

The fix will happen when they start to lose paying customers. Not until then. Also they make money allowing ad tracking and that wont happen in HTML5 so this game's days are numbered as they are reaching the end of the map size and eras anyway.

rsdecarr likes this.