• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Create new emoji’s relevant to the game

Do you support this idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idea:
The game has a number of symbols and buttons that would be useful as emoji’s (picture characters) in chat and messages.

Reason:
Communication would be enhanced. A symbol can express an idea with a single character, so when a message must be limited to a certain number of characters, you can convey more information within that limitation. For example, the symbol for expansion is recognized by all players and uses 1 character while the word expansion uses 9 characters. Because of character limitations, game relevant emoji’s would be particularly useful for message titles, and could also make it easier to find a particular thread if you have several in your mailbox. Game relevant emojis would also be helpful when explaining things to new players. For example if a new player asked how do they see ranking, it would be easier to reply with the symbol for ranking than to tell them “the gold cup with green wings at the top left hand corner”

Details:
The game already has an extensive list of smileys, animals, food, objects etc that could be used in chat and messages. I propose the different emojis for each good be available (lumber, gold, dried herbs, wire etc...) . There could be emojis for each currency ( Coins, Supplies, Metals, tavern silver, forge points, Trade Coins and Gemstones ). The various buttons (build, research, etc...), emojis for the types of military units ( Artillary, Heavy, Fast etc...) Emojis that represent the types of buildings (residential, goods, cultural, decoration etc...). There could also be emoji’s for the various guild flags.

*Visual Aids:

*Balance:
These Symbols already exist in the game, players are already familiar with them so nothing new needs to be created. This idea will only require expansion of the emoji options, and adjustments or changes wherever a player is able to enter text.

*Abuse Prevention:
This feature offers no way to cheat, it merely enhances communication.

*Summary:
Picture characters relevant to the game will allow communication of ideas with fewer characters, make it easier to scan message titles, and make it easier to explain things to new players. Most of the emojis presently available are useless in most game conversations, however the symbols that are already part of the game would be incredibly useful as emojis in a variety of game conversations. The only question is, should these game relevant emojis be added to the current list of smileys and places, or should they be accessed from their own separate menu? That would have to be answered by The computer programmers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebeondi Asi

Symbols have to be learned. So new player will jut be confused. Sorry. I think it is a bad idea. there are already too may things that ony 'insiders' knw what they mean. Like GB abbreviations etc. Adding symbols woud just add to the confusion for new players.
Like in 1.9 threads. everyone seems to want to use their own 'nickname' the only reason it works is I can find the first post where that GB was added. if not for that, 1.9 would be a nightmare. So a huge no from me on adding another layers deciphering stuff.

UBERhelp1

What I don't think that the OP realizes is that Inno didn't create the emojis for the chat. They are merely supporting the usual internet standard for symbols and text (unicode). Inno can't just introduce a new emoji without completely overhauling the messaging system in game.

Instead, I'd recommend trying to use words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebeondi Asi

One point I thought of last evening.. Everyone knows the four color coded shields and crossed swords. sort of 'emojis Sadly most of the players I talk to cannot tell me off hand what each of the four means 'for certain'. That is the two shields red and white. one is attack army defense, and the other is city army defense. plenty f folks cannot tell right off which is which. Ditto attack.crossed swords, silver/blue. So exactly how are all sorts of oddball symbols going to be remembered? LOL

One point I thought of last evening.. Everyone knows the four color coded shields and crossed swords. sort of 'emojis Sadly most of the players I talk to cannot tell me off hand what each of the four means 'for certain'. That is the two shields red and white. one is attack army defense, and the other is city army defense. plenty f folks cannot tell right off which is which. Ditto attack.crossed swords, silver/blue. So exactly how are all sorts of oddball symbols going to be remembered? LOL
That is a perfect use case in support of this idea. If we were able to insert these symbols in our messages, we could answer that question easily for one another with a simple and clear diagram matching the image to what it means.

What I don't think that the OP realizes is that Inno didn't create the emojis for the chat. They are merely supporting the usual internet standard for symbols and text (unicode). Inno can't just introduce a new emoji without completely overhauling the messaging system in game.

Instead, I'd recommend trying to use words.
I wondered about that, but I am sure there are simple workarounds. For example, they could have an option to insert an image, a menu with various symbols would be available to be inserted into text. A student with a single semester of programming could do it.

UBERhelp1

I wondered about that, but I am sure there are simple workarounds. For example, they could have an option to insert an image, a menu with various symbols would be available to be inserted into text. A student with a single semester of programming could do it.
Well yes, but at the same time that adds a lot of extra hassle and clutter to messages. There's a lot more they could do for the message center rather than symbols.

Status
Not open for further replies.