• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

cultral settlement stragedy ?

DeletedUser32439

does anyone have one to complete in the 15 day, both mine didnt even make any time limit, so starting the second ones i still have no stradegy.

Algona

[[the following is wrong]Before you start to build, check the starting Expansions and the nearby Expansions for Rocks. If there are too many nearby or in the starting area abort. Come back later and hope for a better start.[/wrong]

Let's get you started. Place 6 Shacks. Build 2 Axe Makers. Set the 2 Axe Makers for a 4 hour production 10 total Axes. While they are producing take a good hard look at your city and plan where you are going to put 9 more Expansions. When the Axe makers complete set them for 2 more 4 hour productions,, then place your first two Expansions. When the second Axe productions complete unlock Shrines.

While those Axe Makers are completing the first run let's talk strategy!!

And, well, I can't. I haven't finished my second Settlement yet, I don't have a strategy, just vague ideas and hints of ways to approach Settlements.

Throw away all concepts of a neat orderly well organized placid city with set production times. You'll have road mazes and constant jigsaws of rearranged rebuilt destroyed buildings unconnected housing and constantly shuffling moving deleting building rebuilding remodeling in no set order with no set plan.

It's gonna be chaos. You can improvise and hope you get through and eventually you'll have enough practice that you will finish on time on a regular basis. Maybe.

You have to plan ahead.

Start planning durirng those first 9 hours while those 2 Axe Makers are building and then producing the Goods for your first 2 Expansions and unlocking Shrines.

You know how long you have to complete the Settlement. You know you can't do tech without Goods, you know you can't do Goods without Copper. You know what it costs to buy Expansions and when you'll be able to buy them. You know how long it takes to make Goods, how many of which Goods you'll need in what order, which means you know hoe much Copper you need. You know the population you need to support the Copper and Goods productions. You know the build times.

You know everything you need and have the time to completely plan every phase of your Settlement development, Expansion placements, various layouts, production schedules, tech acquisitions, and Quest completion.

Nothing extraordinarily difficult here, just thinking and arithmetic. You'll still be constantly remodeling and rebuilding but if you use good planning tools and work it out in advance you can maximize production and minimize rebuilding times.

Expansions are the toughest decisions you'll make and I suspect will be the most debated aspect of Settlements. When do you unlock what Expansions and how many do you need? I went 3 Axe then 2 of the rest. Total 9 Expansions unlocked in both Settlements.

Collect Goods for a tech, replace Shrines and roads with Runestones and Totems (don;t forget build times!) to get needed Diplomacy for the tech, unlock the tech, check the Quest line, remodel the city to produce the Goods for the next tech.

Produce a little more Copper when you can until you have produced all you need for the entire Settlement. Then stop Copper production freeing up pop and space for Goods production.

Don;t over produce Goods, you know exactly what you need.

I'm finding I like Shrines vs Markets, adequate Copper production and a fast rebuild. Get used to rebuilding Shrines and Shacks, you'll be tearing them down to build lots of Totems to get the Diplomacy needed to unlock techs.

Mix Shacks and Huts as needed, quite often not be connected to roads.

I can't think of anything else at this time, I don;t have the experience yet to know what I am missing.

Last edited:

Freshmeboy

Algona has covered a lot of ground here..I would add that both of my settlements have been built on a grid 3X4. There really is no need to get any bigger than that. Extra expansions only cost you TIME in goods production. Starting your settlement is a timing issue as well. Pick a time you can devote as much attention to copper coin production using the smallest time slots for maximum yield. (Sporting events are fabulous for this chore). There is no use of having multiple goods buildings if you cant afford their production. Keeping many temples ( I maxxed out at 12 in both runs for as long as I could) helps keep your coin production ahead of goods collection times. Again, its key to maintain the flow of goods and keep track of the exact amount needed for the settlement. I wont build a wool farm until my axe total has been met for instance. Constant rebuilds and uneven cities is the norm here and finding new ways to manage and maintain goods production and diplomacy requirements is the challenge...and the fun. Good luck

DeletedUser36624

Before you start to build, check the starting Expansions and the nearby Expansions for Rocks. If there are too many nearby or in the starting area abort. Come back later and hope for a better start.

That doesn't work. The only way to get a different layout is to finish a settlement.

DeletedUser29726

Not having a strategy is tragedy! a stragedy!

My overall plan (plenty of time to spare):

0) If planning to spend diamonds to save a little time build 20 runestones and unlock shrines and mead brewery immediately - cuts off 2ish days and is the most efficient time to do so (when you're making the least goods per day due to lack of expansions). Skip to 3.

1) Build 6 shacks (ignore need for road after construction complete), 2 axe smiths, run 2x4 hr production in each or 1x8 hr (some people like to overnight their first productions and you're not exactly making copper at this point anyways.

2) Sell 1 axe smith. Place 2 expansions. Unlock shrines and build as many as you can support. You should be gaining copper overall at this point. Run shrines and goods on 4 hr if you can come close to collecting it on time. 8 hour is serviceable but might not build enough of a copper stash for the parts where I note you'll be losing copper. Unlock mead breweries when you can.

3) Sell axe smiths. Build 2 mead breweries (will be losing copper again briefly). Unlock 3 more expansions with mead (5 if you skipped axes). Continue running 2 goods buildings but switch 1 or both to axes at appropriate moment to get Huts and Beast Hunter efficiently. Unlock huts when you can.

4) Sell shrines temporarily to build as many huts as you can use. Then sell as many shacks as you can to get shrines back. Huts are much more efficient than shacks (about 3.5 shacks of population in 1 hut). Unlock Beast Hunters.

5) Sell all goods buildings. Build 3-4 Beast Hunters (will be losing copper quickly to start). Unlock 3-6 more expansions with horns (amount depends on how well i can use more expansions after 3 - if the next ones are filled with horrible rocks at that point then I might stay small). I unlock so many with horns because by the time I reach wool it's hard to save much time anymore with expansions because over half the total tech goods have already been produced before you unlock it. Conversely after beast hunters it's still about 82% of the goods to go. As such I decided my last expansions would be from horns. You should be running 4-6 goods buildings while gaining copper after these expansions depending on how many you took and the quality of your layout.

6) From here on out it's just about making the rest of the goods needed to research everything - total them up and adjust your goods buildings to meet your goal. Nothing is a huge gain in efficiency after this. Markets aren't too bad if you've got extra 3x3 spaces not being used by goods or huts but you should generally prefer huts + shrines to shacks + markets so there's not usually a lot of room for markets. Clan House's 8 hour construction time kills any time it might've saved you. If you need a lot of wool for the last techs you should aim to unlock it asap so you can get making it. If you only need a little wool it's not terribly important to rush it.

7) Once you have enough copper to run the rest of your goods productions needed, sell all shrines and markets, keep 4-5 huts and 6-7 goods buildings. Squish it all together as much as you can. Fill the rest of your city with Clan Totems or Old Willows. You need to reach 1200 diplomacy for the final quest and it's nice to have it ready rather than needing to wait out a build time after your goods are done.

8) Once the goods are all finished, it's time to run the quests - it doesn't matter how far behind you fell, this is done in minutes. Keep your huts up. Sell a couple goods buildings to make a space to build and then sell 1 of each building as the quest requests it. Speed through the quests. The last quest is to have 1200 diplomacy and 6 goods buildings - do the 1200 diplomacy first. Then sell what you need to to get up 6 goods buildings (4 huts is enough for 6 mead breweries, 5 huts for 6 axe smiths).

Notes:
- There is not a huge difference in getting 1 or 2 more or less total expansions at a given point. An expansion is generally worth 10 goods a day (after huts - including population, copper production, and goods building). Whether you get that expansion a day earlier for 10 more goods or save those 10 goods by waiting til the next good unlocks doesn't really matter. This also means don't think you're saving time either by minimising expansions (would've paid their cost back multiple times over) or by getting them all (won't pay back their cost before you're done)
- Housing doesn't need roads after they're constructed - it's nice and all but if you can get more stuff in by disconnecting them then disconnect them. A hut is worth about half a shrine in copper if you're doing prompt 4 hour cycles. A shack about a third of a shrine.

cton2.forge

which means you know hoe much Copper you need

How much copper, exactly please, is a hoe worth? Could'nt resist. But agree with a lot of what you have here.

Only note I have is no need to replace shrines with runestones, it's worth the exact same in diplomacy. If you need more you'll be waiting on the totems. Willow trees are useless because of buildtimes. I strongly agree with the good production and copper build up Algona mentions. Did a build up and then just stopped having to swap out buildings etc and just finished what I needed for goods. So much less grindy.

DeletedUser36624

Sometimes you need to take shrines down for diplomacy because you also need to take shacks down.

DeletedUser36145

My first settlement took me eight expansions and I finished 4 days before the first deadline. I had no plan, just did things as they came.
For my second, I decided to try to finish it with only six expansions and it worked out just fine, again with 4 days to spare. My strategy here was to produce all the goods of a kind, before moving to the next. So I produced all the axes with only two expansions bought with axes. Than started mead, bought two additional expansions and gathered all the mead. Than horns and other two expansions. Finally went to wool and gathered it all with no additional expansions. After all the goods were in place, I demolished everything and started building for the remaining quests.
In both settlements I used shacks and shrines mostly. Only one market in both and three huts, after they were unlocked.
My current settlement I will try with 9 or 10 expansions, as they come. But the strategy with full production of a good may not work, as I need nearly 400 axes and it will take a lot of time to produce them with only 2 or 3 expansions and without huts and a market.

DeletedUser2606

My first casual look at settlements left me with the conclusion that it is impossible to finish within the time allowed without spending diamonds. If this is true, it is the first FoE addition to the game that requires spending diamonds to complete. Yet, nowhere have I read any comment or criticism of this. Am I missing something? Is it possible to complete a settlement without spending diamonds? I am not adverse to spending diamonds to do something more efficiently or more quickly, but I want it to be my choice and not a requirement.

Algona

My first casual look at settlements left me with the conclusion that it is impossible to finish within the time allowed without spending diamonds.

Your conclusion is wrong

The official feedback thread is full of players who are completing settlements without Diamonds. There were a half dozen threads incckding this one that spawned after Settlements started, they are full of people completing Settlements without paying Diamonds. I'll be finishing my fourth garnering 9 Runestone pieces each time next week. No Diamonds.

You ask a lot of questions, but you don't ask the one question you should be asking: for help.

Last edited:

DeletedUser31540

My first casual look at settlements left me with the conclusion that it is impossible to finish within the time allowed without spending diamonds. If this is true, it is the first FoE addition to the game that requires spending diamonds to complete. Yet, nowhere have I read any comment or criticism of this. Am I missing something? Is it possible to complete a settlement without spending diamonds? I am not adverse to spending diamonds to do something more efficiently or more quickly, but I want it to be my choice and not a requirement.

I am currently on my 4th settlement - finished fhe first in 13 days, the second in 14, and the third in 12 - spent 0 diamonds

The key is to play a lot and be smart

Playing a lot is more important than being smart but you gotta bring some of each (the less of one the more of the other)

There is great advice here so i wont rehash it all - but ill just add that i am in favor of grabbing 2 expansions with each resource

qaccy

Gotta say, I got a bit bummed reading through some of the posts here talking about 'build 2 axe makers to start' because my initial layout didn't allow me to fit in 6 shacks along with 2 axe makers lol. I've been managing pretty well anyway though! The timers don't seem too rough as long as you abandon all traditional knowledge you might have regarding building a city.

DeletedUser26120

I got silver chest 1st playthrough without diamonds. Then knew what I was doing and it's been no problems getting 6 bonus fragments on 2nd and 3rd playthroughs.

You want to build shacks and get axe up. Make goods. Get the expansions, place them in areas with low impediments.

Prioritize expansions as soon as you can, do the tech later. More space means you can make more.

Get shrines up as soon as possible, make coins so you can keep goods going. Make more, work your way through the techs. Huts then Marketplace should be up after you fill expansions.

I think I usually get 3 each with axe and mead, then 2 with beast hunter and 2 with wool. After that it gets a bit steep.

At one point I had 5 goods buildings going, made over 200 mead in a couple days. Keep in mind you can have houses disconnected and still use the pop, helpful with shacks early.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2606

ok - so - Help !!
I am ready to unlock the mead brewery. it needs 34 axes. I have 57. To unlock the mead brewery, it wants 6 diamonds. how is that not spending diamonds - or again, am I totally missing something. I'd ask in my guild but I am the only one trying the settlements.