• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Feedback

DeletedUser32973

After playing a few days I think I like the core concept of this idea. It lets us get back to some of the roots of FoE, especially if we're among those players that obsess over "optimal" progression in the main game.

That being said there are a few problems with the way it has been implemented (imho):

1. Diplomacy needs to be scrapped or reworked. In it's current form all you do is build a bunch of temporary decorations, unlock the tech, then destroy them. Either require the same diplomacy needed to unlock the building for it to function, or get rid of it. For example, a beast hunter requires 280 diplomacy to unlock. All beast hunters would then require 280 diplomacy in the city to function, or they'd get a similar pop up to "no road attached." Of the two options I presented here I'd of course choose to remove the concept altogether. Does anyone have any better ideas on how to improve diplomacy?

2. Requiring us to rebuild the settlements 15 times seems like lazy development to me. Randomizing impediments and goods requirements is not going to make each experience fresh...it's just not. I'd rather just keep the settlement and have additional development phases released over several months. It's like restarting in the iron age every 2 weeks. Why do this? This rebuild cycle is actually quite confusing to me, and I'm not sure why any player would enjoy it.

3. The rewards, while in a vacuum are amazing, are garbage for 7-8 months of work.

I think these are pretty significant issues (mainly 2 and 3), and I'm really not seeing players continuing to invest time into settlements much beyond build #1 in its current state. I'd really like to see this feature succeed.

DeletedUser31397

Just out of curiosity how many times have you guys gotten the x4 bonus? I'd say I'm around 70 productions in and still not a single bonus. Sigh...looks like I'm on Inno's crappy RNG list again LOL

I'm curious if the amount of goods per requirement stay the same in subsequent settlements because then each settlement should be a lot quicker to complete than the last as you get more bonuses. (ex. 100 combined goods to unlock the market will stay at 100 goods in round 2)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34480

Seems to be too intense. I'm working really hard on this thing and I'm still very far away from the end... feels like I moved just about 1/3. So, I wonder if requirements should be soften (like # of goods to extend, unlock). Of course, I might be not using the best strategy...
Also, a chance of triple production would increase as we move from settlement to settlement... anyhow, so far it feels too much.

ps. Sir Brandon, I didn't. But I certainly haven't completed as many production cycles as you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackPirate

Just out of curiosity how many times have you guys gotten the x4 bonus? I'd say I'm around 70 productions in and still not a single bonus. Sigh...looks like I'm on Inno's crappy RNG list again LOL

I'm curious if the amount of goods per requirement stay the same in subsequent settlements because then each settlement should be a lot quicker to complete than the last as you get more bonuses. (ex. 100 combined goods to unlock the market will stay at 100 goods in round 2)
I've yet to see a 4x bonus, but with only a 3% chance, each collection, I'm not expecting much and haven't been watching that closely.

The number of goods stays the same each Settlement, only the mix of goods changes.

DeletedUser37539

Let us know what you think about the Cultural Settlements and the Vikings. We're looking forward to your feedback!

Thank you for playing Forge of Empires!

Yours,
The Forge of Empires Team
I'm kind of curious as to why the Viking Goods requirements to unlock expansions and research grows exponentially as you advance in ages. I currently am working on a viking settlement in the Early Middle Ages and one in colonial age. for my first wool expansion to unlock in Early Middle Ages it will only take one wool, but in my colonial age it will take five. Same goes with all the researches the needed good grows exponentially the hire age we are in I'm assuming? I guess my question is why does a higher age require more Vikings Goods to complete the settlement? I'm in no bigger advantage building a viking settlement if I'm in the colonial age or if someone were in the iron Age.

Agent327

I'm kind of curious as to why the Viking Goods requirements to unlock expansions and research grows exponentially as you advance in ages. I currently am working on a viking settlement in the Early Middle Ages and one in colonial age. for my first wool expansion to unlock in Early Middle Ages it will only take one wool, but in my colonial age it will take five. Same goes with all the researches the needed good grows exponentially the hire age we are in I'm assuming? I guess my question is why does a higher age require more Vikings Goods to complete the settlement? I'm in no bigger advantage building a viking settlement if I'm in the colonial age or if someone were in the iron Age.

No. Numbers stay the same for every age. Settlemenmts are ageless. In your colonial settlement yuou probably already have unlocked an expansion. In EMA not.

Emberguard

Main city isn't boring and slow. Settlements are. They are literally designed to be slow, and I find that boring.

If you think otherwise, fantastic. This is a feedback thread, and I left mine.
The entire game is literally designed to be slow. The settlements are no slower then the main city, actually I'd have said they were faster then the main city. I can't beat the game in less then a month like I can the settlements and waiting for new parts to a current age can take more then a month. Only difference is no GBs and your main city is already established. I could be waiting just under 18 hrs in my main city if I want to build anything. Settlements? 1min - 8hr
Do you *really* want me awake?!? 0_o
Well if you have times where you're asleep and then times when you're awake that means you're still breathing so yeah, that's a nice thing

DeletedUser37539

No. Numbers stay the same for every age. Settlemenmts are ageless. In your colonial settlement yuou probably already have unlocked an expansion. In EMA not.
So, if I'm understanding what you're saying. By unlocking an expansion using any good. the other goods are going to go up as if you had used them for the expansion unlocking? Basically I kind of screwed myself by building a bunch of Axe Good's buildings and using it to unlock 3 expansions?

Agent327

So, if I'm understanding what you're saying. By unlocking an expansion using any good. the other goods are going to go up as if you had used them for the expansion unlocking? Basically I kind of screwed myself by building a bunch of Axe Good's buildings and using it to unlock 3 expansions?

Yep, but you hardly screwed yourself, cause it was your only option.

Emberguard

index.php

From Beta pre re-balancing ^

DeletedUser29726

J

It's not a lot quicker from one to the next - but once you get a decent chance to proc x4 it is noticeable compared to your first 3% runs. The timer also gets shorter so you have to finish it faster for max rewards each time.

DeletedUser27046

Maybe it's just me, but seems to be a mix of feedback and game play discussion/strategy, so I'll throw this out there to those who have done way more than I have with the settlements, was just noticing in quest 9 "Have 280 diplomacy OR gather 40 axes, well I have over 40 axes, but the quest only shows however much (depending on which city I am in) , will go with 26 axes when I actually have 46, was thinking it was a bug, but then thunk a little more and have kind of decided that it is set up that way, that it only counts the number of axes starting at the time of that particular quest not counting what you already have. ?? That's clear as mud right ? :)

Emberguard

@TitanMeee "gather [object]" means to "pick up" not "already have". It's a doing word not a past tense word. If it were past tense it'd say "have gathered" or "have in stock" or simply "have".

UBERhelp1

For those who want a timeline:
If you started your settlement on the first day, it should now be about ~1/2 way done.

DeletedUser35952

Don't bother it's a waste of diamonds unless they made improvements - the rewards are not worth the investment - which you lose every time you complete a village and start from scratch - the novelty wears off quickly
is it possible to move forward on the quests without spending diamonds? Seems like they are a requirement to unlock some buildings.

DeletedUser32328

is it possible to move forward on the quests without spending diamonds? Seems like they are a requirement to unlock some buildings.
Yes, it is possible without diamonds. To unlock new types of buildings you will need: a certain amount of goods (you can see that underneath the picture of the building you have to unlock next) AND an amount of diplomacy in your city (in the circles on the bottom row).

DeletedUser36985

Let us know what you think about the Cultural Settlements and the Vikings. We're looking forward to your feedback!

Thank you for playing Forge of Empires!

Yours,
The Forge of Empires Team
Well estimates are just under 1 year of pretty constant involvement to get a max building that produces fps. This can be done in one month during one of your special events. So I'm wondering why inno thinks this is a good idea?

DeletedUser37581

The tree is an excellent building even when just level 4 - giving 3 FPs, attack bonus, and other stuff - which is achieved after 6 settlements. This can be done in under 3 months. But even for those who take longer, the advantage is that a settlement can be done on your own time, whereas events can only be done when Inno has them, and must be completed before the event finishes or you are out of luck.

So yes, there are many of us who think this is a good idea.

RazorbackPirate

Well estimates are just under 1 year of pretty constant involvement to get a max building that produces fps. This can be done in one month during one of your special events. So I'm wondering why Inno thinks this is a good idea?
7 - 8 months if you're able to consistently beat the timer. I do all the event also. So in 8 months, I'll have a fully upgrade Yggdrasil Tree and Greater Runestone and you won't. I'll then be working on whatever the Egyptians have to offer. The ability to earn several extra special buildings per year is a good enough reason for me. That those buildings then set me further ahead of those like you, that couldn't be bothered, is an even better reason.

I see Settlements as another way to set myself further ahead of marginal FoE players, and I think that's a great idea.