• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Feedback

DeletedUser34800

I suspect we've seen the last of the Historical Questlines and that Settlements are their replacement. As such, I think we will see the major seasonal events, Forge Bowl, Carnivale, Spring, Summer, Fall, Halloween, Winter and one Special Event per year, alternating between Soccer Cup and some other thing. Still a lot of events, but not the number we saw last year.

What a bummer that would be. The historical buildings are good, but the thing I like most about them is the people, to be honest.

I like all the people wandering around my city. Gives it a populated feel. Hopefully they don't get rid of the historical events entirely. I'll miss them.

RazorbackPirate

What a bummer that would be. The historical buildings are good, but the thing I like most about them is the people, to be honest.

I like all the people wandering around my city. Gives it a populated feel. Hopefully they don't get rid of the historical events entirely. I'll miss them.
There were two additional Historical Questlines originally announced for 2018 that never ran. They never even appeared on Beta. We've also not seen any Historical Questlines announced for this year, but we do know we'll see the Egyptians.

UBERhelp1

I think historical questlines are still a thing, but I think they are saving them for times during the year when there isn't anything going on. At least, I hope they run the ones announced for 2018. I kinda like historical questlines more than normal events. You get a pretty good building without having to do upwards of 50 quests.

DeletedUser29623

I think historical questlines are still a thing, but I think they are saving them for times during the year when there isn't anything going on. At least, I hope they run the ones announced for 2018. I kinda like historical questlines more than normal events. You get a pretty good building without having to do upwards of 50 quests.

The other advantage of historical events is that the quests have random awards, not some kind of special event currency like stars or footballs, so you have a chance of winning diamonds.

RazorbackPirate

The other advantage of historical events is that the quests have random awards, not some kind of special event currency like stars or footballs, so you have a chance of winning diamonds.
Agreed. Although the disadvantage to Inno in that there is no opportunity to monetize a Historical Questline. As such, I think they've been replaced by Settlements which will see some monetization. The two Historical Questlines scuttled last year may resurface, but I don't see Inno announcing a new set for 2019. I hope I'm wrong, just reading the tea leaves here.

Last edited:

Algona

Finished Settlement V1 this morning. no Diamonds spent. Went into this blind and avoided spoilers. Fumbled around the interface figuring out how to do what for a day or two, other then that, the difficulty/challenge level seemed on the low side. Maybe shorter time limits raises that? Whack-a-mole?

Major impression was this is a grindy process. Some combination of wait on Resources, tear down buildings, build different buildings, unlock tech or Quest or Expansion, Repeated lots with variants on specific order. I think someone mentioned this is somewhat similar to Evants, but on a permanent basis? I agree with this. But ongoing and grindier. Is that a word?

I didn;t really see anything new in this, did I miss something?

Excitement and enjoyment level was low, probably due to the grindyism, maybe this improves? Hopefully?

I'll stick with it, need to figure out if the Prizes are worth the game.

Will hold off a few days before starting again, too many RL rime sinks and want to get done with Event Questline 1. We'll see how it goes next time.

Was I supposed to get 9 Fragments of Runestone?

EDIT: 1 complaint. After I collected my prizes I couldn;t do a final edit on the Settlement.

I had to leave those poor Vikings with a city full of disocnnected buildings and a whole lot of Decorations. Sure, it looks pretty, but no one can move in the place. All those electronic Vikings stuck in their houses...

Facetious, yes, but ya know, I woulda gotten a bit of satisfaction from durdling with the Settlement before I left. Maybe experiment with alternate designs, or just leaving a neat and tidy city.

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

I got really unlucky on one of my worlds... the good I needed the most for the last few unlocks was wool (and hundreds of it) so I wouldn't be able to finish in time unless I buy some diamond expansions. The impediments blocked all the spaces wool farms could go except a few. Oh well. You only need about 8 first place finishes, 6 second, and 1 third to get a fully upgraded Greater Runestone at the end of the 15th settlement.

RazorbackPirate

I finally finished both of my Settlements, one in each city. Going into the unknown with a countdown timer running was a bit unnerving at the beginning, but I was pleasantly surprised that I had several days leftover in each of them without using diamonds.

I could have finished them hours ago, but with the extra time, I decided to buy one last expansion, and build them a second Mead Hall. Turns out those Vikings are a thirsty bunch. I left each Settlement fully functioning, all tiles filled, all goods and diplomacy buildings running, 1,200+ diplomacy, and copper coins in the bank. If they can't make it on their own now, it's not my fault.:)

As frustrating as Impediments are, I like that they made it impossible to build them identical.

VikingsR.jpg

VikingsW.jpg

I thought I'd wait until I got through the Event quests and caught up with the dailies before starting my next ones, but I did that today as well. I'm not quite ready to jump onto the next set, so a day or two break is in order.

With the increasing goods amounts to unlock later Embassy Advancements, there seems to be a flurry of quick activity in the first few days of a new Settlement, quickly tapering down to more relaxed pace as you wait for necessary goods to be produced. Instead of starting the next two simultaneously, I'm going to try staggering them instead. Start one, let it get a few days in then start the other one once the pace on the first slows a bit.

While I like the 'Event on Demand' nature of Settlements, I still don't know how I feel about having to build 15 of just the Vikings alone. If we only see a couple of new cultures a year Settlements might be a fun side activity to do when things get boring in my city, but 1 per quarter or more, they'll quickly overwhelm.

UBERhelp1

While I like the 'Event on Demand' nature of Settlements, I still don't know how I feel about having to build 15 of just the Vikings alone. If we only see a couple of new cultures a year Settlements might be a fun side activity to do when things get boring in my city, but 1 per quarter or more, they'll quickly overwhelm.
To be quite frankly honest, I think they are supposed to overwhelm the player. As more come out, fewer players will be working towards the powerful upgraded buildings at the end of the 15 settlements because they want to try the new ones. Or, if they do keep working at it they are more likely to spend diamonds to finish it to get rewards faster and start on the next settlement.

ODragon

As I finish up my first run in 6 hours when I get the last of the wool I need (should be about 2 day 12 hours left on the timer), I wonder, what is the point of the Mead Hall? (aside from quest 9).

By the time you open it, you don't need it. By the set up of the game, if you can place it, you don't need the copper it creates.

Emberguard

As I finish up my first run in 6 hours when I get the last of the wool I need (should be about 2 day 12 hours left on the timer), I wonder, what is the point of the Mead Hall? (aside from quest 9).

By the time you open it, you don't need it. By the set up of the game, if you can place it, you don't need the copper it creates.
The point I'd imagine is simply to look pretty. That and you'll need 1200 diplomacy for the final quest. You could use everything else instead or if you have enough time you could use the mead hall as part of that.

ODragon

The point I'd imagine is simply to look pretty. That and you'll need 1200 diplomacy for the final quest. You could use everything else instead or if you have enough time you could use the mead hall as part of that.

Still seems like a waste of their time and resources to make something no one will use. It takes 8 hours to complete, in my opinion, you'd be better off placing 5 Runestones, 5 totems. Its not as much diplomacy but one should still have way more than enough at that point and that only take 1 hour to finish.

DeletedUser32328

Well estimates are just under 1 year of pretty constant involvement to get a max building that produces fps. This can be done in one month during one of your special events. So I'm wondering why inno thinks this is a good idea?
The Yggdrasil is much, much better than any event building that has been released to date. So imho it's reasonable that it also takes more work to complete.
And one does not exclude the other. Just get both.

Honestly I'd recommend trying to finish the settlements as fast as you can for your playtime anyways because when the next culture comes along you'll have to make a choice whether you're finishing your vikings runs or starting on the egyptians (who knows what the schedule for that will be like - but there is definitely an element of "try not to fall behind" to this feature). That you'll get 1-2 double-SoKs with attack boost and goods in the process in addition to the extremely strong tree is just icing on the cake.
Has it been confirmed that once Egyptians arrive you won't be able to continue with Vikings?

DeletedUser37581

Has it been confirmed that once Egyptians arrive you won't be able to continue with Vikings?
It has been confirmed that once Egyptians arrive, you will then have a choice between Vikings and Egyptians and will be able to do either.

EDIT: Just to clarify - you will be able to do one or the other, not both at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13838

My settlement will be done tomorrow morning - I used 11 (no diamonds).

RazorbackPirate

This is 'fake news'. No one ever said that, no confirmation needed. You will be able to do Viking settlements in perpetuity, even after the arrival of the Egyptians or any other Culture that shows up. There's no limit to the number of Viking settlements you can complete.

The only limit will be one active Settlement at a time. You won't be able to have a Viking settlement and an Egyptian settlement going at the same time. You can build unlimited sequential Settlements, not unlimited concurrent Settlements.