• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Feedback

DeletedUser

I honestly tried every way and every thing I could find to try, to make this idiotic addition to the game, work. It doesn't work. The time given to complete is ridiculous as compared to the time needed to gather and build and expand. If you were one of the lucky ones able to finish, I would seriously like to know how you cheated, or what you did, to do so.
If you ignore the timer it goes much better. Just focus on the next quest, do whatever it takes to fulfill it, then move on to the one after that. Don't be afraid to build, tear down, build again. Over and over. The prize that goes along with the timer is a minor one compared to the main prizes available just for finishing.

DeletedUser36624

I honestly tried every way and every thing I could find to try, to make this idiotic addition to the game, work. It doesn't work. The time given to complete is ridiculous as compared to the time needed to gather and build and expand. If you were one of the lucky ones able to finish, I would seriously like to know how you cheated, or what you did, to do so.
Definite "how to win friends and influence people" material here.

RazorbackPirate

And you are one of those to whom I ask, How exactly do you win on this Diamond Miner? Every event and every daily and every quest for the past year has been close to impossible to compete in or to complete if a player is not so far into the game they've nothing else to do with their fp's and diamonds. ... So..... ???????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
I have 2 cities, one in HMA and one in LMA. They are both a bit over a year old, I started them last January during last year's Forge Bowl Event. During the Spring Event, I had pushed them into their current ages when I started to realize I had weak cities. That's when I hit the forum and started studying many of the great guides available. I threw both cities into park to focus on building and leveling GBs, building up my daily FP supply, and maximizing RQs.

Between GBs, Special Buildings, and approx. 150 RQs per day, my HMA city on W produces 200 FPs, 950 Medals, and 800 current age Goods daily (on average) with no goods buildings. My LMA city on R, with 2 RQ slots and completing over 200 RQs daily, produces approx. 215 FPs, 1,900 Medals, and over 1,000 current age Goods every day.

In both cities, I'm able to easily complete every Event, finishing the bulk quests in just a few days. I complete GE 4 every week, typically on Wed, always by Friday, with a mix of fighting and negotiating. I complete the Daily Challenge daily, finding only the 4 and 8 hour Production tasks challenging (tediously irritating, really).

I find Settlements to be tedious as well, a grinding, grindy, grind as @Algona so aptly put it. I don't however, find them particularly challenging. I'm following a similar strategy as most have described, immediately build out to Axes, spend the first productions on the first 2 expansions, working my way through the tasks. The only nut I've yet to fully crack is Diplomacy, I don't like having to delete roads and such to build Runestones or Totems to unlock, then delete them all to rebuild roads and build the new structures. I finished my first Settlement well within the first deadline with about 4 days to spare, my current Settlement is on track to complete well within the initial deadline as well.

I can only think it's my overall understanding of the game, a strong city with resources to spare, and decent city design skills. TBH, not having any particular secret, it's hard for me to fathom some of the challenges others are reporting.

Last edited:

ODragon

If you ignore the timer it goes much better. Just focus on the next quest, do whatever it takes to fulfill it, then move on to the one after that. Don't be afraid to build, tear down, build again. Over and over. The prize that goes along with the timer is a minor one compared to the main prizes available just for finishing.

This is also my play attitude on it. If I can do it, great, if I can't that's fine too.

• Attempt 1: Play normally, what felt right, no diamonds spent, no experience with playing. I finished with the best reward.
  • Attempt 2: Playing with all shrines, 1 axe (for expansion purposes) but tried collecting enough coins to build multiple goods buildings and not worry about coins. So far working, I believe I have enough coins left for my needs and I am 10 hours away from having all the goods I need to complete the discoveries. I have almost 5 days left on the clock for best reward.
  • Attempt 3: Forthcoming but I plan to do all 24 hour collection on goods and 4 hours on coins. 1 and 2 were a bit grindy and I'm hoping this makes it feel less so. Bonus is that a 4x on a 24 hour collection puts major dents in the goods need.
Unrelated, i think it gets easier once you realize that you almost have to have unconnected shacks, it is okay to delete shacks/shrines since they are so quick to build and you have to rearrange your city often to fill your current need. All that and you need to be aware of the rocks in your city!

Volodya

Or finish the current Settlement and start the Egyptians after. The world is not going to stop if you don't jump on it the first day, and neither Vikings or Egyptians are going anywhere.

We all know what the early reviews will be anyway, "More of the same. Too boring. Takes too long. Not worth the effort. The building sucks, etc." And let's not forget my particular favorite, "Just another scam to suck up diamonds."

Basically the same complaints about every event ever run and every new feature ever added. So, now it doesn't matter when you get to actually play them, you already know everything about them. Think Vikings with sand and all the same old complaints. That's Egyptians.
You forgot Impossible without diamonds and anyone who says different is lying.

DeletedUser30900

i just dont understand how come all these people come here saying they cant finish the settlement when it's their 1st or 2nd one. I finished first with 6 days spare, the second one with 5days 1 hr because i was fooling around... Do i play an easier version or they are just some difficult people?

ODragon

As you can see from below, I am 4.5 days from the first prize ending. Currently building a clan hut, enough diplomacy to unlock up all items, enough copper for the goods I need (only wool).

I had 4 wool but went to 3 as I wanted the clan house to finish so in 15 hours (unless I hit a 4x), I'll have all the goods I need. With that, I'll delete all the Huts, place the last couple of items and maybe some more Clan Totems and be done by tomorrow before noon. I will use clan totems (or even Runestones) so I don't have to wait 8 hours for the Willow trees to complete to get the happiness. I think I'll be able to have the 5 goods buildings + 1200 diplomacy with what I have. If not, I'll just let the willows finish and use that diplomacy.

No diamond expansions, you can see the costs below and I have 9 goods expansions down.

Cult.jpg Expan.jpg

ODragon

i just dont understand how come all these people come here saying they cant finish the settlement when it's their 1st or 2nd one. I finished first with 6 days spare, the second one with 5days 1 hr because i was fooling around... Do i play an easier version or they are just some difficult people?

There is a bit of luck based on your initial rock set up, location of rocks in purchasable expansions as well as how many 4x good pulls you get.

At worst, it is 12 hours of production + 3,000 coins saved, at best, it is 3 days of production + 12,000 coins. That can be significant savings since it also means less time collecting the coins to make the goods and less time the goods buildings have to be on the map.

While I am no waking up in the middle of the night to do stuff, I am on fairly often and still only going to have 3 days 20 hours (give or take) when I'm done.

DeletedUser15539

I'd like to thank Inno for coming out with something that isn't just another participation trophy, but instead requires some real time and effort to achieve.

DeletedUser30900

There is a bit of luck based on your initial rock set up, location of rocks in purchasable expansions as well as how many 4x good pulls you get.

At worst, it is 12 hours of production + 3,000 coins saved, at best, it is 3 days of production + 12,000 coins. That can be significant savings since it also means less time collecting the coins to make the goods and less time the goods buildings have to be on the map.

While I am no waking up in the middle of the night to do stuff, I am on fairly often and still only going to have 3 days 20 hours (give or take) when I'm done.
that doesn't explain anything. What we are getting is the same thing these"challenged" people are getting. They got x4 at least 2 times for sure. STILL CANT MAKE IT ON TIME.

DeletedUser29726

that doesn't explain anything. What we are getting is the same thing these"challenged" people are getting. They got x4 at least 2 times for sure. STILL CANT MAKE IT ON TIME.

Honestly it goes a long way to explaining why inno keeps handing out easy shit to deal with that so many people struggle with settlements. Apparently it *is* enough to be a challenge to some. The only thing I could see as being a legit reason behind it being 'too hard' is the real-life time component where some people may not be able to login for most of the day. I might on one of my off-worlds do a test run of it with 24 hr productions only and see how long it takes.

I believe what it comes down to in most cases though is struggling with layouts and false premises.

The layout thing is something you've been able to see in the game for years - but with no clock running and GBs to fill in the gaps it's quite possible to ignore that half or so of the people in the game either can't or don't care to organise their city in a moderately efficient manner.

As for false premises, the main ones I've seen:
- It takes too many shacks to sustain 1 axe smith (refusing to consider unlocking and using shrines sooner rather than later)
- I need space for runestones while sustaining my goods (refusing to play the demolish and rebuild game to cover diplomacy)
- Overvaluing or undervaluing expansions to an extreme level (there's a fair bit of flexibility in terms of how many you should use, but some folks are either overly attached to 'space is always good' or have mental scarring connected to initial goods production levels or poor layouts that cause them to fear spending 10+ goods on an expansion as a 'waste' of time)
- If I can't finish by the time the timer expires, I might as well not try (you still get the main reward however long it takes you to finish)

DeletedUser30900

Honestly it goes a long way to explaining why inno keeps handing out easy shit to deal with that so many people struggle with settlements. Apparently it *is* enough to be a challenge to some. The only thing I could see as being a legit reason behind it being 'too hard' is the real-life time component where some people may not be able to login for most of the day. I might on one of my off-worlds do a test run of it with 24 hr productions only and see how long it takes.

I believe what it comes down to in most cases though is struggling with layouts and false premises.

The layout thing is something you've been able to see in the game for years - but with no clock running and GBs to fill in the gaps it's quite possible to ignore that half or so of the people in the game either can't or don't care to organise their city in a moderately efficient manner.

As for false premises, the main ones I've seen:
- It takes too many shacks to sustain 1 axe smith (refusing to consider unlocking and using shrines sooner rather than later)
- I need space for runestones while sustaining my goods (refusing to play the demolish and rebuild game to cover diplomacy)
- Overvaluing or undervaluing expansions to an extreme level (there's a fair bit of flexibility in terms of how many you should use, but some folks are either overly attached to 'space is always good' or have mental scarring connected to initial goods production levels or poor layouts that cause them to fear spending 10+ goods on an expansion as a 'waste' of time)
- If I can't finish by the time the timer expires, I might as well not try (you still get the main reward however long it takes you to finish)
Long story short, no time, no luck, or no brain.

DeletedUser30312

That's because there's an ugly element of RNG in it that contributes to differing results. A bad initial setup of impediments can really slow thing down and I'm getting the feeling from this that there is little margin for error. Just the fact that the people having the most success here have disconnected houses and rip up roads and decorations as needed isn't a good sign. It definitely seems to be tripping up the casuals.

I dunno, there's the whole grindy grind aspect of it on top of the time limit for winning the runestone pieces that requires a good deal of babysitting, and I've been looking to cut back on this game the way it is. I've probably been obsessing too much over the runestone pieces, even though I probably would only use it in my main city. I should probably stop worrying about it on my other cities if I'm not going to bother with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36020

Between school and work I just wasn't able to find time to really play the settlements a lot. It just wasn't interesting enough for me either to really try to get it done. I'm just doing the first 5 quests for 25 fp every other day. Minimal effort. Don't mind

Resipsa2

Settlements are no fun for the difficulty level, and long time for return - and probably causing the recent lags in GVG

DeletedUser23766

Really?!?! Like we need yet ANOTHER time sink??? A game within a game? Who's inane idea was this?

I tried it for 1 day then quit - no thanks. Completely bored and quite frankly do not have the time to waste on this game. INNO has made this game an unpaid job and unenjoyable with endless "new features" and so-called "special" events (hint - when you have one every other week - they cease to be "special"). 7 months to finish one game??? 8 hours for 10 axes??? Really??? Don't think so.

How about that button to AID ALL FRIENDS and to AID ENTIRE GUILD??? Free up some time that is lost?? And less click click click. Ever listen to these suggestions from players? No. I thought not as it has been requested for years and yet nothing has been done about it. No need to request a button to sit at all available taverns then.

All that clicking is the only thing keeping me awake.. Remove the clicking and you end up with a "Sleep aid" instead of a game. :D

DeletedUser23766

Option 3 - No money required because they took the time to come up with a strategy and your jealous of their ability to do what you've been unable to figure out.

Yeah I can get her done for free too. LMAO, You see how many diamonds it costs to unlock the 2nd Emissary? I wonder how much #3 is going to set us back? :confused: