• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Feedback

DeletedUser26293

Let us know what you think about the Cultural Settlements and the Vikings. We're looking forward to your feedback!

Thank you for playing Forge of Empires!

Yours,
The Forge of Empires Team
Just as it turned out with the Tavern, I find the Vikings are not difficult at all. They are a time burner the devs have come up with to mine diamonds off us. Everything takes for freaking ever to build, while we are told, "time is of the essence as concerns reward." Kick back. KNOW, that the very first thing you are going to have to do is wait a minimum FOUR HOURS. ... And beyond that? More of same.

Case in point: It takes 34 hatchets to unlock the next building; however, just as with main game, four hours are required to acquire just FIVE. it's a total lol and smh at the greediness of the new gen of devs.

DeletedUser36624

I feel no compulsion whatsoever to spend diamonds and expect that I will finish in plenty of time for the best reward. As always diamonds are there for those who prefer to exchange money for time.

DeletedUser24719

Horrible concept, a huge waste of time, has no relevance whatever to the game and is just another scheme on INNO's part to take your money. In other words an absolute JOKE!

DeletedUser31440

I am trying it out on one world to try and get a better idea of the time requirements to succesfully complete the questline, not touching it on diamond mines, and using it as a free 25 fp's every two days on my mains that aren't going for completing the questline. I'm not sure why people are thinking it requires diamonds or their participation, but I haven't seen either of those being true.

Zatrikon

I'm now getting a weird bug - I have 14 Axes, but it won't let me spend 10 of them to unlock Shrines. I've tried exiting the settlement and going back in. I've tried refreshing the window. I really shouldn't have to do any of these things for the game to figure out that 14>10. Yet the "Unlock" button is still grayed out.

DeletedUser32328

I'm now getting a weird bug - I have 14 Axes, but it won't let me spend 10 of them to unlock Shrines. I've tried exiting the settlement and going back in. I've tried refreshing the window. I really shouldn't have to do any of these things for the game to figure out that 14>10. Yet the "Unlock" button is still grayed out.
You also need to have 55 diplomacy. Build some runestones.

RazorbackPirate

I'm not sure why people are thinking it requires diamonds or their participation, but I haven't seen either of those being true.
Because they're idiots. Full stop. Every time they see an OPTION to spend diamonds, Inno is greedy for letting them to play FoE for free.

For &*%$ sake people. Grow up. Businesses exist to make money. Deal with it. If you don't like that Inno is one of them, then keep your money and infantile opinions to yourself.

DeletedUser31440

Because they're idiots.

Off-topic but on-topic about people being idiots. The alley behind where I work there's a corner where we store propane tanks, it also happens to be a favorite spot for junkies to hang out. So I'm back there and see a guy smoking a cigarette heading back into that corner:

Me: Sir, you have no reason to be going back there.
Him: Man I'm just on a break and I like hanging out back there.
Me: Sir, your smoking a cigarette and that is where we store our propane tanks. Regardless of the smoking the only time anyone should be back there is if it is one of our employees getting or exchanging a tank.
Him: I'll put out the cigarette.
Me: It's more than the cigarette, please find a new place to take your breaks.
Him: Man f*** you, you f***ing cracker, I'm just trying to enjoy my break and smoke a cigarette. I'm not a f***ing criminal, you stupid little sh**.
Me: Sir, please find a new place to take your break and do not smoke around propane tanks.
Him: F***ing stupid a** crackers, I aint a f***ing criminal.

Try to keep someone from blowing themselves up and yeah.

DeletedUser32328

Uh, no. You don't need any diplomacy to *unlock* Shrines buildings. It just costs 10 Axes. You need 55 Diplomacy to fulfill one of the early quests.

Uh, yes:
Screenshot_20190104-195256.png

There is also a quest asking for 55 diplomacy as one of the options. So you could combine the two.

DeletedUser33179

Uh, no. You don't need any diplomacy to *unlock* Shrines buildings. It just costs 10 Axes. You need 55 Diplomacy to fulfill one of the early quests.

Look again at the Shrines in the Deveopment section. It does show needing 10 axes. Now look below that at the bottom. there's a horizontal bar running the length of the buildings to be unlocked. It has 2 hands shaking pic at its start, representing amount of diplomacy required. Along that bar underneath shrines there's a circle with number 55 in it - you need 55 diplomacy (+ the axes) to be unlock it. Each subsequent building to unlock also denotes new diplomacy requirement in the same manner.

Of note:
1- only build needed extra diplomacy for this purpose (beyond what you must have for the settlement to function) once you have the goods to unlock a building
2- temporarily delete roads, etc as needed to allow enough space to put in diplomacy buildings (runestones,etc)
3- once you unlock the building, delete those extra diplomacy buildings you'd just built. You don't need (or want) diplomacy-only buildings unless needing to unlock a building, since it serves no purpose - only the combo diplomacy+copper coin producing building(s) are of value

image.jpeg

DeletedUser30900

Majority of the people who said it’s a money grabber can’t afford to purchase diamond anyway so why would anyone form inno gives a damn?

DeletedUser35753

So far, it seems pretty cool. Here's my thoughts -

First of all, the rewards are actually pretty good, even if it may take months to get them at their highest levels. The emissaries making the space taken by your town hall less "wasted" is pretty great, for example.

I see a lot of feedback about this being just a way to get people to spend diamonds. As far as I was aware, though I'm sure Inno's developers actually have a love for city building strategy games, the aim of everything they do is to get people to spend diamonds, so why would this be different?

That said, I don't so far see anything that makes it so that you NEED to use diamonds for this. Of course it will speed things up, but saying that is so incredibly redundant when you're talking about any freemium game.

To me, its a pretty cool puzzle that is a side/minigame. It's slow moving for sure - but that's fine cos it's not the main event - it's something that should just take up a little of your time, but fairly regularly so you have something to do between having finished GE on a Thursday afternoon and whatever the next event is. At least, that seems to be the goal here, along with providing fresh content to all users, rather than just those at the end of the tech tree.

I do think that it probably appeals more to folks who have a "farmer" vs a "fighter" mentality. I tend to walk the line between both of those, veering one way or the other based on mood and the task at hand. For a farmer, optimizing production with constrained resources to maximize output - which is totally what the whole Vikings cultural settlement is about - is probably their cup of tea. There's really only one basic goal as far as I can see - produce about 950 cultural goods as quickly as possible. I think it would be awesome if future cultural settlements perhaps had a more combat-centric focus. I imagine culture specific units and barracks instead of as much focus on production buildings, with a mini-cmap or something like that.

While talking about the farmer vs fighter thing I have to point out that this new feature feels like a huge gift to two groups of people - campers and those who can't get past being plundered. First of all, this is available to everyone, regardless of age once you're in IA, with nothing that forces further tech development or c-map progress. Second, your settlement is not plunderable, and both of the special buildings are motivated, and thus not plunderable either.

So overall the new feature isn't hugely exciting and something so different that it'd make me go "wow". It seems in line with what FoE is though, and probably has a lot of growth opportunities as more civilizations are released. As someone who generally likes the game a whole lot, I (so far) like this too.

DeletedUser36152

It's not really clear, but there are TWO requirements for each Embassy Advancement - the top half is the Goods requirement, and the bottom half is the Diplomacy requirement. You Need Both to advance your Viking Settlement without using diamonds. So build some more Runestones to increase your diplomacy and you can advance. :D
Hope this helps.

DeletedUser36152

Increase your diplomacy (the second requirement to advance)

Agent327

It's not really clear, but there are TWO requirements for each Embassy Advancement - the top half is the Goods requirement, and the bottom half is the Diplomacy requirement. You Need Both to advance your Viking Settlement without using diamonds. So build some more Runestones to increase your diplomacy and you can advance. :D
Hope this helps.

You do not need both. You need one of the two, so it does not help at all.

Notice the word "OR"?