• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Feedback

RazorbackPirate

Make that three times. I needed 18 wool to finish things up, so I had 2 8 hour productions running overnight. The second one got the x4 bonus leaving me with 30 extra wool I'll never need or use.
The wool is not for you. Yes, you need a certain amount to complete your quests, but the extra wool will be used by the Vikings.
Doing the last bit of work on the current settlement, and I think the Mead Hall can still be avoided. The 2500 copper can be made with just a Market if you have one already and a shrine. Set them both to an hour long production while building the goods buildings which will produce 407 copper, then 2 4 hour productions each while making the goods which should produce 2168 copper. The full total should come out to 2575 copper.

I have no idea how much the Mead Hall can make, and I'm not going to bother checking it.
The mead hall can make a ton of copper, but yes, it can be avoided. However, with 4+ hours remaining before you can complete your settlement no matter what you do, there's no reason not to let it build. Don't make settlements all about you, you'll get your rewards from the Vikings no matter what, but why not leave them a real village before you run off?

You do realize that's why they changed the last quest again, right? No one was building the last buildings to leave the Vikings with a functioning settlement. Leave them a functioning settlement. Now there's now no reason not to, other than to spite the Vikings or Inno.

Algona

EDIT: I started a thread in Forge Hall to discuss the primary idea in this post of a benefit for finished Cultural Settlements.

Now there's now no reason not to

But there is really no in game reason to do so.

I keep thinking INNO is missing an opportunity here.

There could be some tangible ongoing reward / benefit / reason to leaving a fully functional 'ally' behind, some way to increase the depth of the game, some legacy that encourages a, to be trite, forging of an empire. Guild Power? I dunno. Something.

I'm fumbling with this idea, I can't quite seem to bring it into focus even though it;s been percolating through my mind for months now. I know we get Ygg and Emmisaries and other Rewards for doing the Settlements but there's a potential for a completed Viking Settlement to be an ongoing extension of Empire.

Flavor wise and depth of game wise it sure seems like there is something to be found there.

Just not quite sure what.

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

There could be some tangible ongoing reward / benefit / reason to leaving a fully functional 'ally' behind, some way to increase the depth of the game, some legacy that encourages a, to be trite, forging of an empire. Guild Power? I dunno. Something.

I'm fumbling with this idea, I can't quite seem to bring it into focus even though it;s been percolating through my mind for months now. I know we get Ygg and Emmisaries and other Rewards for doing the Settlements but there's a potential for a completed Viking Settlement to be an ongoing extension of Empire.

Flavor wise and depth of game wise it sure seems like there is something to be found there.

Maybe runestone fragments? You get the same amount of fragments as settlements completed (and left with... say... a residential, diplomacy, and the 4 goods buildings?)

RazorbackPirate

I agree. I'm leaving a functioning village not because I need to, but because I want to. It is a city building game after all. My first few villages I left complete because I had the time. As schedules shortened, I started to build/delete just to punch the list for max rewards and complete it, knowing I still had X more settlements to build.

I see what you mean and I like your thinking. Definitely something to think about.

When people were telling me to build the Vikings just for the FPs, I didn't like that I would have to keep doing it to keep getting rewarded. I likened it to having a job building shack and shrines vs. build a mead hall franchise. With the latest change, those who worked the 25 FPs like a job just got fired, while those who built the franchise, just got rewarded even more.

I've been fine doing settlements for the rewards. The most powerful building in the game is pretty compelling. I've also found settlements to be more exciting than events, especially when I'm all caught up and am now waiting for the single daily quest to release, and not playing the event, waiting for a DS I want. I like the puzzling and city building aspects especially in regard to impediments. But I also don't build and disconnect housing to cheat expansions and pop. so building a real village under the deadline does appeal to me.

DeletedUser40618

I’m finding that even with the reduced build time to 4 hours, the clan house, old willow, and mead hall aren’t needed for completion of the settlement.

I have all the expansions I need even before I unlock the clan house. I have to sell either markets (and stop coin production) or goods buildings (and stop goods production) to build a clan house. Then wait 4 hours for it to be ready and then I’ll need to wait another hour to have what I sold rebuilt.

Either way I’m loosing 5 hours of production time (which can be a lot of resources when you think about a x4 bonus) so I’m better off sticking to the same strategy I had before the change. Even after I build the clan house, the old willow, and the mead hall, there isn’t any necessity to keep them for completion of the settlement.

I’m not sure what Inno could do to make these buildings useful for me. I know I don’t need them for the few final quests. I have the coins and goods ready to collect when it’s given to me for the last one.

DeletedUser30312

What do I care what imaginary Vikings aren't going to do with a bunch of extra imaginary wool? What do I care if the settlement looks nice or is a slum? The bottom line is once I finish that particular settlement, it vanishes forever, ceases to exist unless I bother to take a screenshot. I get another set of imaginary Vikings for the next week or so before they too vanish until I finally finish the last one and never return. Algona's right, there's no reason to leave a functional settlement behind once I clear quest 20 because all that matters to my main city is the rewards I reap. When there's a time limit on it for maximum rewards, and it takes at least 6 months to max out the Ygg, players are going to want to finish things up as fast as possible regardless of what Inno planned.

The Clan House isn't too useless, but the Willows aren't really necessary anymore (I found them useful for the 1200 diplomacy), and the Mead Hall never was.

IngeJones

One negative observation I'd make about the changes is the last quest - there is a bar to show how many of the copper coins you have gathered, but no indication of how far you are in gathering the goods. I already had more than 10 of each good but don't remember exactly how many and now I have lost count of what I still have to get. Why are there not two bars?

DeletedUser

One negative observation I'd make about the changes is the last quest - there is a bar to show how many of the copper coins you have gathered, but no indication of how far you are in gathering the goods. I already had more than 10 of each good but don't remember exactly how many and now I have lost count of what I still have to get. Why are there not two bars?
The bar actually includes the goods with the coins, showing a total of 2540 items needed, 2500 coins and 40 goods. If you gathered 10 of each good after fulfilling and collecting the previous quest, then you might be short of coins and not goods. There has also been a bug reported where occasionally Wool will not show as gathered. If you narrow it down to Wool, try refreshing the page to see if it shows up.

IngeJones

Oh I see, you have to hover over the bar then it expands into actual numbers. Before that it was showing 2.5k/2.5k leaving me a bit perplexed

DeletedUser40287

Back to the Shrine chanting. It is VERY creepy, and somewhat disturbing. Where did they get this recording from??? Suggest it be changed to something less objectionable.

If anyone else hears something that is being chanted, please tell us what you think they are saying. I don't want to say what I think just yet.