• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

UBERhelp1

It's the Cultural Settlements Guide's Birthday!

Today is the one-year anniversary of the posting of this guide (the 2.0 version), and in that course of time it's gotten over 45,000 views and (hopefully) has helped many people. Thank you all for your kind words and support over this past year.

I wish I had an update to put out, but there really isn't anything going on with the settlements at this time. Looking forward to the next settlement and to another great year.

As always, if you have any suggestions/comments/questions feel free to ask them. :)
-UBER​

Lothar123

Maybe. Besides expansions, what are you going to spend all your GE diamonds on? I'd like to spend them to do less settlements!
Sorry for bumping this, but I wanted to follow up on this and ask if people have thought about an efficient way to spend diamonds on the Viking settlement. I've never purchased diamonds but also rarely spend them, and I'm sitting on over 6,000 of them. I really dislike the Viking settlements and have only finished 8 of them (on the other hand, I enjoyed Feudal Japan and was the first in my guild to finish the 13 FJ settlements). I've come around to the view that I'm okay with spending diamonds to speed my way through the remaining Viking settlements (I view it as buying a maxed out Yggdrasil and maybe another Greater Runestone). Since I rarely spend diamonds, I was hoping for feedback about how to be efficient about doing this, since I assume that my 6,000 diamonds won't be enough to let me just blast my way through the remaining 7 settlements one after the other.

My sense is that it's most efficient to use diamonds to unlock the first several technologies right away (maybe leaving time to produce the goods needed for expansions), probably until Markets are unlocked. I've found that Markets generally produce enough copper coins to allow you to collect less frequently while still producing enough copper coins to produce goods, so maybe after that point it makes sense to stop spending diamonds and just finish the settlement "straight." My hope is that this would shave maybe 3-4 days off the settlement without costing more than a couple of thousand diamonds each. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not that's the case?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

BruteForceAttack

Sorry for bumping this, but I wanted to follow up on this and ask if people have thought about an efficient way to spend diamonds on the Viking settlement. I've never purchased diamonds but also rarely spend them, and I'm sitting on over 6,000 of them. I really dislike the Viking settlements and have only finished 8 of them (on the other hand, I enjoyed Feudal Japan and was the first in my guild to finish the 13 FJ settlements). I've come around to the view that I'm okay with spending diamonds to speed my way through the remaining Viking settlements (I view it as buying a maxed out Yggdrasil and maybe another Greater Runestone). Since I rarely spend diamonds, I was hoping for feedback about how to be efficient about doing this, since I assume that my 6,000 diamonds won't be enough to let me just blast my way through the remaining 7 settlements one after the other.

My sense is that it's most efficient to use diamonds to unlock the first several technologies right away (maybe leaving time to produce the goods needed for expansions), probably until Markets are unlocked. I've found that Markets generally produce enough copper coins to allow you to collect less frequently while still producing enough copper coins to produce goods, so maybe after that point it makes sense to stop spending diamonds and just finish the settlement "straight." My hope is that this would shave maybe 3-4 days off the settlement without costing more than a couple of thousand diamonds each. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not that's the case?

I'd rather spend diamonds on a good event prize. Vikings i'd set productions to 8hrs or 24hrs and not worry too much about getting runestone. It may take a while but you will get yggdrasil.

UBERhelp1

@BruteForceAttack is right; you are better off just taking it slow. Since you have all the time in the world (technically) to complete a settlement and get the rewards, there is no need to speed it up unless you really really want to get the prizes faster.

Also, I might as well take this time to make a small announcement, and there are some beta spoilers involved in it.
As you may or may not know, the Ancient Egyptian settlement has dropped on Beta. Normally, this is where I'd start testing and playing it to build strategies and prep for the next update of the guide. HOWEVER, about a week or so, I found that my Beta city had been deleted (I still don't know why, I was active enough that it should not have been deleted based on inactivity, and I didn't set it to delete). I had to start a new city. This means that I am still a little bit away on unlocking the settlements, so there may or may not be an update for Egyptians once it comes out. Especially considering the mountain of data I like to acquire on the settlements and the multitude of charts I will have to create based on that data, it might be some time before an update is ready, as I might need to "test" the settlement on my live cities. As always, thank you for your support and I hope your settlements are going well.

Lothar123

Thank you both. That's certainly reasonable, but I also just dislike doing Vikings so much that I've decided that I'm willing to spend diamonds simply to spend less time doing it. I understand that I can slow-walk it and get the rest of the way after several months, but I'd rather just plow through quickly and not have to spend a lot more time dealing with it.

Sorry about your Beta city, UBERhelp1!

Kranyar the Mysterious

And the update to Vikings and Japanese Settlement roads (currently on beta) will likely cause enough changes to the settlements that whole strategies in this guide may need to be reviewed and updated once those changes make it to live.

UBERhelp1

And the update to Vikings and Japanese Settlement roads (currently on beta) will likely cause enough changes to the settlements that whole strategies in this guide may need to be reviewed and updated once those changes make it to live.
I agree. Hoping that it is changed in some form before it is released on live.

Get as many settlements in as you can before that happens :p

The Lady Redneck

Cannot add anything other than my thanks for all the time, thought and effort you have put in to this simply to help us.
Cheers to you Uberhelp and all who have/are helping you

UBERhelp1

The Archive

In preparation for the next update of this guide, I have moved certain sections (Production option efficiency, 25k view special) to Part 6, which will now also function as an archive for sections that I feel don't really contribute too much but shouldn't be removed. Nothing in the archive will be updated for new settlements, as that would take far too much time (looking at you, 25k view special). This also gives a bit more of a function to Part 6.

UBERhelp1

There will only be 4 free and 4 purchasable impediment Removal Items(pickaxes) for the new settlement which is good news because a lot of people were worried about it being to easy to destroy impediments though .
Actually, there are 6 purchasable removal items, and I count 5 free ones. And idk where you were looking but no one was concerned about it being to easy to remove them.

(To everyone) If you have beta spoilers for the settlements, please only post them here if they will directly affect the guide (for example, if it will make information in the guide incorrect upon its release). So, until anything for the next settlement is released on live, please don't give any spoilers for that settlement here, that information is most likely already known and being worked into an update. I'd prefer if the comments were more reflective of questions about the settlements, feedback on the guide, or any tips for players. Spoilers should be discussed elsewhere.

UBERhelp1

@UBERhelp1

What is the intermediate set up for Feudal Japan ?
There is none, it is basically just an example of a town that might happen after the steps described. Since impediments and goods costs will differ for people in so many different ways, there is no "do this layout" picture for that step. Therefore, it didn't really seem like an FJ picture had to be added because it still utilized most of the same strategies shown in that picture already.

WinnerGR

There is none, it is basically just an example of a town that might happen after the steps described. Since impediments and goods costs will differ for people in so many different ways, there is no "do this layout" picture for that step. Therefore, it didn't really seem like an FJ picture had to be added because it still utilized most of the same strategies shown in that picture already.
I kind of disagree with this because if ,when you first start the settlement, you make sure the 2 expansion North West and 1 expansion South East have no impediments then you could do that in the Viking Culture Settlement though I do not understand what you meant by 'good costs will differ for people in so many different ways ' when all the technologies always cost the same ,all the expansions cost the same ( I mean every time anyone does their first Viking expansion with axes it will always cost the same {to my knowledge it will always be the same ,I may be wrong}) , all the building cost the same and all the quests are the same for every player .

So elliten me on the ' goods costs will differ for people in so many different ways '

Super Catanian

First of all, use proper punctuation, dude.

I kind of disagree with this because if ,when you first start the settlement, you make sure the 2 expansion North West and 1 expansion South East have no impediments then you could do that
Then you haven't read the whole Guide. In Part 3, under the Merchant spoiler, under the Merchant Expansion Strategy, what you said is already mentioned, but what you're saying is a lot more vague and hard to understand. There (I wrote it and @UBERhelp1 approved it, so we both know very well what we're talking about), I wrote that you can choose to expand either to the North or West (further review has put South as a last resort option) depending on Impediments. It is the player's choice to expand where they want, because they have no influence on Impediment placement.
EDIT: In the Vikings, you can expand in the four cardinal directions, but in Feudal Japan, mostly only in the North or West. Half of your options are not there.

though I do not understand what you meant by 'good costs will differ for people in so many different ways ' when all the technologies always cost the same ,all the expansions cost the same
The number of Goods is fixed, but the mix is always random. A Gallery takes up more Japanese but is smaller than a Soy Bean Field. Depending on each player's needs, they might need to place down two Galleries, two Soy Bean Fields, or one and one. This mix makes it impossible for a concrete strategy; each player will have to modify it significantly for their unique situation.
There is also the Merchant in Feudal Japan. The Goods it provides is random, and depending on your luck, you'll be able to get between 2 and 5 Expansions. Too big of a difference for us to write a concrete strategy.

So elliten me on the ' goods costs will differ for people in so many different ways '
There you go.

Kranyar the Mysterious

I kind of disagree with this because if ,when you first start the settlement, you make sure the 2 expansion North West and 1 expansion South East have no impediments then you could do that in the Viking Culture Settlement though I do not understand what you meant by 'good costs will differ for people in so many different ways ' when all the technologies always cost the same ,all the expansions cost the same ( I mean every time anyone does their first Viking expansion with axes it will always cost the same {to my knowledge it will always be the same ,I may be wrong}) , all the building cost the same and all the quests are the same for every player .

While the total sum of all goods needed will always be the same, the amount of each good needed is random and will vary from player to player, and from play through to play through.

WinnerGR

While the total sum of all goods needed will always be the same, the amount of each good needed is random and will vary from player to player, and from play through to play through.
First of all, use proper punctuation, dude.

Then you haven't read the whole Guide. In Part 3, under the Merchant spoiler, under the Merchant Expansion Strategy, what you said is already mentioned, but what you're saying is a lot more vague and hard to understand. There (I wrote it and @UBERhelp1 approved it, so we both know very well what we're talking about), I wrote that you can choose to expand either to the North or West (further review has put South as a last resort option) depending on Impediments. It is the player's choice to expand where they want, because they have no influence on Impediment placement.
EDIT: In the Vikings, you can expand in the four cardinal directions, but in Feudal Japan, mostly only in the North or West. Half of your options are not there.

The number of Goods is fixed, but the mix is always random. A Gallery takes up more Japanese but is smaller than a Soy Bean Field. Depending on each player's needs, they might need to place down two Galleries, two Soy Bean Fields, or one and one. This mix makes it impossible for a concrete strategy; each player will have to modify it significantly for their unique situation.
There is also the Merchant in Feudal Japan. The Goods it provides is random, and depending on your luck, you'll be able to get between 2 and 5 Expansions. Too big of a difference for us to write a concrete strategy.

There you go.
Understood