• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Lothar123

Which settlement should I do first?
If you plan to do all of them eventually, I'd start with Vikings. It's the most tedious and annoying, but the subsequent settlements will be better. Also, Vikings is the original, "basic" settlement, while each of the others adds a significant game mechanic (negotiations in Japan, fighting in Egypt, and a minesweeper-like game in Aztecs); it's better to start with Vikings so you don't learn to rely on those additional mechanics but can treat them as a bonus when you move on to the other settlements.

WinnerGR

@UBERhelp1 I have been following this guide very closly on my latest settlment and I have been wondering whether I should have 3 goods buildings in my settlment. I am on the 'Is bigger better' quest and working towards unlocking the decorative and ornatmnetal statues. Furthermore I have 4043 beans and

VegtablesHeadressesMaizeStone Figures
25​
21​
47​
13​
(that formatted weirdly)

and also here is a screenshot of it:
Screenshot 2021-05-18 8.09.21 AM.png
And here is a screenshot of my settlemnt diary/plan ( red is done ):
Screenshot 2021-05-18 8.09.34 AM.png
-------------------

So I would really appreciate if you could advise me on whether to get a third goods building and if so how to fit it in ( i.e the house(s) and shrine(s) required to make it work and stuff ). Thanks in advance

JoyfulRider

So I would really appreciate if you could advise me on whether to get a third goods building and if so how to fit it in ( i.e the house(s) and shrine(s) required to make it work and stuff ). Thanks in advance
give your diplomacy values also. it may give clarity to give some help.

UBERhelp1

@UBERhelp1 I have been following this guide very closly on my latest settlment and I have been wondering whether I should have 3 goods buildings in my settlment. I am on the 'Is bigger better' quest and working towards unlocking the decorative and ornatmnetal statues. Furthermore I have 4043 beans and

VegtablesHeadressesMaizeStone Figures
25​
21​
47​
13​
(that formatted weirdly)

and also here is a screenshot of it:
View attachment 18766
And here is a screenshot of my settlemnt diary/plan ( red is done ):
View attachment 18767
-------------------

I mean why do you have so many of the sculptures? Add some more houses (they don't have to be the 3x3 ones), a couple of shrines, and you should be able to fit it in easily.

I'm not going to hold your hand through the whole settlement. You kind of have to do it yourself. I'll give general tips, some suggestions, but more than that is up to you.

WinnerGR

I mean why do you have so many of the sculptures? Add some more houses (they don't have to be the 3x3 ones), a couple of shrines, and you should be able to fit it in easily.
Thanks a lot. Now I just need to get some hard shoes on and kick myself really hard for not thinking of that myself.
I'm not going to hold your hand through the whole settlement. You kind of have to do it yourself. I'll give general tips, some suggestions, but more than that is up to you.
Yeah yeah I didn't mean to come across that way and I don't really want that either cause half the fun of FoE (in my opinion) is the planning and my schedule and RNG is likely to be differnt from yours.

Joeyjojojo

Bit of a cross post from the Mughal feedback thread, as it may belong here too? I'm not sure if it's at all helpful, but I managed the 1500 without difficulty for the final Mughal quest, screenshot below. No diamonds. Initially got expansions all the way up to 23 lotus, which was all I needed, but I did have enough rice after the gather 50 to get one more, so I did (it's the lonely one).
mughals.jpg

TopCatUSMC

Thanks for taking the time to develop this guide. Definitely has brought a whole new method to steer the course of my gameplay with this aspect of the game.

MartinusD

Thanks for a very thorough guide, I use it a lot, and do a viking every 1-2 weeks.
Depending on my luck both with 4x productions and the costs of the techs, I find that the fastest way do do it is generally to buy 2 expansions with axes, 2 with mead, and 2-3 with horns or maybe 1-2 with wool depending on the research costs.

WinnerGR

Please forgive me if this has already been asked or there is a seemingly obvious answer, but in the guide it states to rush the tech tree in the Mughal Empire and not expand however, as with all settlements, you require diplomacy and goods. Goods are not an issue as the layout has a Rice Paddy in it but seeing as there are no small diplomacy buildings to squeeze into all of the gaps; how and were do you construct the massive 3x2 Alley?

Sharmon the Impaler

Please forgive me if this has already been asked or there is a seemingly obvious answer, but in the guide it states to rush the tech tree in the Mughal Empire and not expand however, as with all settlements, you require diplomacy and goods. Goods are not an issue as the layout has a Rice Paddy in it but seeing as there are no small diplomacy buildings to squeeze into all of the gaps; how and were do you construct the massive 3x2 Alley?

Stick the Alley on the side of the building and then stack them up away from it , they will be worth more diplomacy that way. The Empire Set (need 3 for max benefit) will give you up to 25 randoms goods). Rupees are a boring grind until you get a bunch of Baldachins. Charbagh is the third Empire Set and the second to last building in the tree making it pretty useless like the Pyramids in Egypt only helping with the ridiculous amount of coins needed to finish and nothing else. .

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

In the beginning just rush the tech tree. To get the alley in, sell a couple houses. After that you can mostly proceed as normal. The problem is that at the beginning it takes a while to get up and running in terms of rupees.

WinnerGR

In the beginning just rush the tech tree. To get the alley in, sell a couple houses. After that you can mostly proceed as normal. The problem is that at the beginning it takes a while to get up and running in terms of rupees.
Ok thanks, I'll do that.

UBERhelp1

I haven't updated this one in a while! I wonder when the next settlement will come out. Hope your settlements are doing well! I just did some small fixes, because this guide is honestly mostly finalized. If there's anything else you'd like to see in this guide, leave a comment here or PM me :)

Cultural Settlements Guide v2.203
  • Added Mughal Settlement story
  • Added Mughal Settlement pre-endgame and endgame layouts
  • Will fix the Endgame Layout for Feudal Japan soon!

KeenWise

Thanks! The guide has convinced me to do Aztecs on one world where I could use the defense. I have only ever done Vikings and Japan, finding settlements generally too time-consuming (makes it harder to budget time for all worlds, lol).

My friends have helped me with my own low-stress strategy. as I only care about the main building. I started at night, so I just built huts and focused on beans for two collections. Then later in the morning I only had to ditch two huts to add two veg-bldgs. My progress will be slow. Might take a year to get the full building, in fact. So I hope I get enough lvl 2 sents by then to moot the settlement altogether. :)

Last edited:

KeenWise

A funny thing happened on my way to my second Aztec completion... When I did the first settlement I missed Gold by a day. Now I am on the last quest, the 20's of each good, and I have almost three full days left. The main differences between this settlement and the first -- this time I had done it once and was comfortable with all the buildings and constraints. This time I built one goods building from the start. And this time I did no one-day prods of any kind. Everything was only 4 hr or 8 hr, even if I went the whole day without checking in. I have the settlement on a world I play often, so if I ever saw the settlement exclamation mark, I knew it was time to collect. It seemed to do the trick for me.