• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Progress

qaccy

Yeah, Vikings is balanced a lot tighter than Japan and Egypt. Those gold timers are ruthless! When I was running through it for the Yggdrasil upgrades, I don't think there was a single run where I had more than a day remaining on the gold timer and I even got silver once. That silver was my fault for not keeping up with it as often as I should have, but it goes to show how much more efficient/active you have to be in a Vikings settlement.

Over in my corner, I'll be joining the club of folks who've maxed the Royal Bathhouse from Egypt. Now that that's done I'll be doing Vikings a couple more times to finish upgrading the third Greater Runestone I have, then I'll keep doing Egypt as I'm able for more Obelisks. My last bit of unsolicited advice for Egypt is to clear out impediments in a way that allows you to build two Pyramids and one of each goods building for the final quest. Two Pyramids can produce just under 30k Deben in 24 hours using 4-hour cycles, which is the same amount of time needed to produce 30 goods from a single goods building without x4 bonuses. Basically what I'm saying is there's no need to build a whole bunch of goods buildings to try to produce the goods as quickly as possible. This approach basically balances out the production and makes it pretty relaxed since once everything's built, you won't have to check in more than every 4 hours while progressing the last quest.

Plunder Queen

For Vikings you gotta log in 3 times a day, use an 8-8-4 hour goods production cycle, unlock expansions ASAP: 3 with axes, 2 with mead, and 2 with horns. Unlock shrines ASAP and use as many as poss. Unlock huts and replace all shacks with huts ASAP. Look ahead at how many of each good you will need total, and work on producing only that many. Ignore the quests, they will complete themselves. For diplomacy, delete roads and spam runestones. There, is that good?

edit: also never connect population buildings by roads unless you absolutely have to. by cramming them in a corner with no connection, you will get a lot more space to put shrines and/or goods buildings. residences, still have population when not connected, and their coin production is pitiful compared to shrines and markets.
Remember this for tomorrow when I start ANOTHER Vikings settlement. This is a bigger pain than an 80 arc.

Plunder Queen

You can do with just huts too, easy to squeeze them in when you have impediments, and easy to delete and build again. Main thing to remember in Vikings not to worry/bother about finishing on time....if you are just going y-tree...
I just want to get a fully upgraded tree before next year

Nicholas002

If you finish in the deadline every time, and start the next one right away, it will take 6 months. I'ts a slog.

Plunder Queen

If you finish in the deadline every time, and start the next one right away, it will take 6 months. I'ts a slog.
You just crushed my dreams. I applaud you on this effort lol. Nah. Thanks though! I never aim for the time limits. I get too frustrated and settlements aren’t that fun personally for me.

ffblackice

You just crushed my dreams. I applaud you on this effort lol. Nah. Thanks though! I never aim for the time limits. I get too frustrated and settlements aren’t that fun personally for me.
It is well worth, 30% attack boost on 3X3 size, with 8 FPs and 20 goods. I am going into 10th Viking in my main city so far, average 10 days each without diamonds, but I basically logged in every 1-2 hours to take care of the settlement, sometimes collect copper coins every 5 minutes. I feel as long as you have enough copper coins, you should be able to complete Viking quick.
Or, if you spend diamonds, you will be able to complete within couple days, I believe.

Compare Viking, Japan and Egypt, I think Japan is most easy settlement, I was able to complete Japan within 8 days without diamonds by using much less effort compare to Viking, Egypt is easy in terms of planning and timing, but must take longer time, average 16 days each without diamonds.

Last edited:

Lady Gato

Sigh - even with the guide I screwed up a few times in Egypt. Had some extremely hard medium armies to beat for loot and LOST my entire army. So my city went to a stand still because no loot to continue building while I was rebuilding my army. Then at the end AFTER completing the quest with collect 300 loot - I destroyed my army to make room for 2 massive pyramids. I forgot that I still needed loot to finish the last quest to make & gather 30 goods each. Ouch. Here's a picture of my city - hopefully I will be able to complete it on time. The only item I need to complete that I don't have the loot yet for is 20 offerings. I plan to wait till the next easy army regenerates as I will have about 5 troops built then. With 2 pyramids I should have enough debens to finish on time.Egyptalmostdone.JPGEgyptalmostdone.JPG

Just An Observer

You can do with just huts too, easy to squeeze them in when you have impediments, and easy to delete and build again. Main thing to remember in Vikings not to worry/bother about finishing on time....if you are just going y-tree...

After learning the "stick houses aside without roads" trick, it got tried on the Feudal Japan settlement, where it worked beautifully! Every little bit of finangling helps...

qaccy

Then at the end AFTER completing the quest with collect 300 loot - I destroyed my army to make room for 2 massive pyramids. I forgot that I still needed loot to finish the last quest to make & gather 30 goods each. Ouch.
Hah, I did something similar on one of my early Egyptian settlements! I had gathered enough loot for the remainder of my goods productions including the final quest, but I completely forgot about the quest to gather 300 loot until after I'd taken my barracks down. At least I could keep the goods going, but It was a long wait on troops to be able to complete that one battle...

-Sebastian-

Sigh - even with the guide I screwed up a few times in Egypt. Had some extremely hard medium armies to beat for loot and LOST my entire army. So my city went to a stand still because no loot to continue building while I was rebuilding my army.

I've had that happen a few times, too. I used that as a chance to put up some elephant barracks. What else am I going to do with all that space, right? ;-)

ODragon

Yeah, I usually start with 1 pyramid and 2 of each goods building, get the goods out of the way in 12 hours, and then amuse myself by seeing how many pyramids I can cram into my settlement in the remaining time. ;-)

I think you'd be hard pressed to fit in 4+ pyramids unless you got super, super lucky on impediment locations and/or spend diamonds to remove them.

ODragon

12th egypt done. No more settlements to do. Thought about doing Japan again but already have an extra one of their buildings i odn't have room for!

Nicholas002

I'm on viking 7. almost halfway done.
It's arguably the most boring part of the game, but gives arguably the best Special Building of the game, so sort of a love-hate relationship goin' on there