• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlements Progress

Lord Pest

Doing Egypt #14. Doing them for the ancient obelisk. Finished #13 with over 4 days left for the best reward. Easiest Settlement to finish in time...

Emyrs the Kind

Egpyt for me seems the Hardest to finish on time. the only time i have even been able to get teh silver reward was when i spend a a bunch of diamons removing obstecals at the begining, i am on city number 4 and been play ity every day since it went live

About to finish Vikings #3 with a few days to spare. I plan to do enough of them to fully level my Ygg.

My first try at Vikings was TRAUMATIC. I was really new, going into it blind, only got halfway when time ran out and felt humiliated, devastated, all of those "ATED" words, LOL! Coming on the forum and getting some truly great tips and strategies convinced me to try again after recovering and licking my wounds. I can laugh about it now. Having fun. :D

Nicholas002

About to finish Vikings #3 with a few days to spare. I plan to do enough of them to fully level my Ygg.

My first try at Vikings was TRAUMATIC. I was really new, going into it blind, only got halfway when time ran out and felt humiliated, devastated, all of those "ATED" words, LOL! Coming on the forum and getting some truly great tips and strategies convinced me to try again after recovering and licking my wounds. I can laugh about it now. Having fun. :D
Now that I have maxed one Greater Runestone, decided not to try for a second, and focused solely on the Ygg, the Viking settlement has become much less of a slog. Instead of stressing about the time, and logging in 4 times a day to do vikings, I just chug along on the settlement whenever I am on anyway, and have nothing else to do in the game. I am finishing close to the deadline anyway, but it is just so much more relaxing, knowing that I don't have to worry about any timer.

Now that I have maxed one Greater Runestone, decided not to try for a second, and focused solely on the Ygg, the Viking settlement has become much less of a slog. Instead of stressing about the time, and logging in 4 times a day to do vikings, I just chug along on the settlement whenever I am on anyway, and have nothing else to do in the game. I am finishing close to the deadline anyway, but it is just so much more relaxing, knowing that I don't have to worry about any timer.

I have noticed this 3rd time around that I'm not even having to look at the timer to finish when I need to. Kind of surprising. Looking ahead and determining what I need ahead of time and cranking that stuff out and just checking in for a few minutes when I'm in my city seems to be the ticket. No stress.

Things I've been hearing about Egypt have me scared, though. LOL!

I thank the gaming gods every day for you guys on the Forum.

P C C

Things I've been hearing about Egypt have me scared, though. LOL!
I agree with Lord Pest (above), Egypt has been easiest for me, finishing my 14th today with at least 3 days to spare every time. The Cultural Settlements guide in the Guides section has good suggestions. You do need to be comfortable with manual battles using Egypt units. (I eventually went with just Nubian Archers for all battles after the first and all 3 battles almost every day.)

That said, Japan is also easier than Vikings and the time given for it is ok too. The only negative is that it uses up goods for negotiations which might slow down a new city.

I agree with Lord Pest (above), Egypt has been easiest for me, finishing my 14th today with at least 3 days to spare every time. The Cultural Settlements guide in the Guides section has good suggestions. You do need to be comfortable with manual battles using Egypt units. (I eventually went with just Nubian Archers for all battles after the first and all 3 battles almost every day.)

That said, Japan is also easier than Vikings and the time given for it is ok too. The only negative is that it uses up goods for negotiations which might slow down a new city.

Good to hear. Thanks for those tips. *thumbs up*

67Sage101

I'm on #7 completions of Vikings and my first was the same way as yours. But as the obstructions and X4 are random , I still find that sometimes I can't complete the thing in time to get the time reward for more runes. And each time I complete it, they lower the # of days I get. So at this point I've just stopped trying to get runes. No way I'm babysitting this game at all hours of the night to keep up production of axes. This game really needs to have something between 8 and 24...like 12 would be terrific so we could check twice a day ????. Unfortunately the bump in goods from 8 to 24 hours is only worth 16 hours. I honestly do think the devs are sadists...they love to make the quests painful. Funny thing I hear is Vikings is the easiest. Wu ha ha ha ha.....

67Sage101

That's odd. The devs themselves said Vikings was easiest and the new one is slightly harder.

67Sage101

Working on Egypt #20. When done I’ll complete ancient obelisk #5.
Honestly. Have you ever set an alarm at 3am to make sure production finished and restarted or the new building was built. Or did you just spend diamonds to complete constructions faster. I did Vikings enough to get a level 5 greater runestone. But it was killing me. I have a level of apprehension everytime I start another level. As if I'm asking myself....do I really want to babysit this game day in and out for 13 days just to get one more runestone level? At some point I said....na.....

Last edited:

Lord Pest

No no diamonds and no alarms or weird hours. The Egyptian Settlement can be easily completed within the 14 days and 4x bonus once you get there. The 4x bonus for me triggers 25% of the time and it trumps the time to complete at 14 days. I finish with 4 to 5 days left for top reward every time

Algona

That's odd. The devs themselves said Vikings was easiest and the new one is slightly harder.

I agree with a lot of other posters.

Purely personal opinion follows.

Eqypt is easy and a pleasure. Takes calendar time, but not a lot of daily time. The artwork beautiful, combat is fun, the map big.

Japan is easy and fast if you catch a quad on the first round.A fine experience. Nice artwork, the merchant helps a lot.

Vikings are awful. Takes a long time and a lot of daily play. Artwork is white on white on white. Despite Ygg being amazing (best SB ever still?) and not having it in one of my three cities I won't do Vikings again. Twice was one too many.

----------

Does anyone have a rational strategy or suggestions for Settlements in a new city?

P C C

No no diamonds and no alarms or weird hours. The Egyptian Settlement can be easily completed within the 14 days and 4x bonus once you get there. The 4x bonus for me triggers 25% of the time and it trumps the time to complete at 14 days. I finish with 4 to 5 days left for top reward every time
Yes, and a daily 12 hour goods production cycle is enough to finish early, you don't need to get 16 hours. And you never need to worry about checking regularly for coins. However, there's one caveat: you have to be (or become over the first few runs) ok at manual battles with Egyptian units. I'm on my 19th, will do one more before switching to Aztecs.

(For comparison, I went back to Vikings after I was done with Japan to do extras to try for a third level 5 runestone and never hit the shortest deadline.)

Just An Observer

Feudal Japan needs a lot of work put in by the player as city rearranging is critical. This pays dividends in teaching a player how to work with their main city. Using Negotiations is essential for success, so there is another game element which lets the player learn how to do this.

Vikings is very relaxing if one forgets about the Runes. Just plug in whatever the city needs at that moment, let time pass, then do the next thing. My experience shows one winds up with 3 expansions being available at the end as the "magic number" and this settlement really does swallow up space. Markets x2, Shrines x7 and plenty of Clan Totems set up the 1000 "morale" score. Two levels a month is the pace of completion. Too many Envoys are present but at least a Level 1 Ygg is actually pretty decent and it only gets better.

Not having tackled Ancient Egypt, the only opinion I have is that since I got good at manual fighting, it should be an enjoyable settlement to take on. About the time I finish Vikings and Ancient Egypt, I should be close to Colonial Age and then move onto the Aztecs, Once it is done, odds are good another settlement comes along. They make for interesting diversions that can be rather rewarding.

WinnerGR

So Aztecs , I have started off with the 3rd of Ubers charts and setting them all off for 8 hours before selling 2 a vegetable farm to replace with statues to get the needed diplomacy and then unlocking the shrines I then plan to switch a layout to Ubers 1st chart however as many houese as possible will be shrines.

That will leave me with 15 vegetables , ordinarily I would set everything to 4h productions but due to RL commitments I will have to set them to 8hours and then I will unlock the second technology and mini-game

That is as far as I have planned so far and I will share how it works out later ; how is going for everyone else ?

EDIT : Ugggh , I don't have enough beans to produce 3 8 hours
EDIT : OK collected the 4 hour productions and luckily got an x4 bonus on one , I am now going to switch to ubers 2cnd layout with as many houses as possible shrines ( unlocking shrines will cost 15 of my vegetables so I will be down to just 15 vegetables which I will save up for the next teck )
EDIT : Due to a lack of beans I can't set any productiosn in the vegtable farm and I can't buy the last road that I need so I am having to disconnect some houses on layout 2 and I will not be able to set the shrines productions for 8 hours due to RL commintemnts.

Last edited:

Savvy187

Have maxed out Yggdrasil and the Shinto temple, Japan seeming the easier of the 2 though both were manageable and engaging enough. Was dreading the Egyptians due to all the negative comments from friends and guild members, the vast majority apparently not even bothering with it. Started Egypt last night and initially it seems pretty tedious, will stick with it hoping it gets better.

GaKOAK

Egypt and Japan are by far the easiest, whoever said Vikings was the easiest is insane.

Egypt can be done with only Nubian Archers, fighting the easy and medium battles daily provides plenty of loot to finish with a few days to spare.
A lucky 4x early on in Japan gets things going nicely, the negotiation thing makes it a breeze.
Vikings ... need to die in a fire.